/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Paintings and Mosaics in Ayasophia

Samiun
12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
:sl: Alhamdulillah I made through the flight and it was tiring and sickening as I was having both flam and sore-throat. I went to Ayasophia which was a church until it was modified into being a mosque that I think most of our members here know of, but now it has turned into a Museum. There was painting of four angels(They had four drawings on top of the ceiling of the Museum, they only opened one face which I think is malaikah Jibraeel or better known in english the angel Gabriel.Well thats what the tour guide said), Mosaic and painting of Isa A.S. and his mother Maryam(Which of course I don't believe in the painting), then there was also the calligraphy of Allah S.W.T. and Muhammad S.A.W. and also his companions. From what I've heard the first Muslim which was sultan Mehmed the 2nd who conquered Constantinople covered those paintings(The angels, Isa a.s. and maryam) and then changed it to a mosque. But now it has been changed to a Museum in order to avoid conflict during the 20th century.

Is it a good idea to take a picture which all the paintings and mosaic in the Museum? When I got there, I felt something just isn't right.. Did an Ulama send a fatwa about this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Samiun
12-28-2010, 10:08 PM
bumps for the thread

ChargerCarl
12-28-2010, 10:29 PM
I think for the sake of the artwork you shouldn't be taking pictures of it since it might have a damaging effect.

Samiun
12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
What do you mean by that? It's right under the dome, and we're allowed to take pictures.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ChargerCarl
12-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Well then by all means, take pictures if you want.

Ansariyah
12-28-2010, 11:26 PM
I have taken pics of the museum (outside) I didnt go inside.

They are paintings they claim are of Prophet Isa (as). In Islam, it is forbidden to depict any prophet of Allah & the angels. Thats probably why u felt a lil uneasy about taking those pics, Allahu Allam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!