/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Harvest Gourds

جوري
12-26-2010, 08:14 PM

Does anyone know how to paint gourds? I mean I guess everyone can just buy them but I think it would be a fun craft project to do with the kids.. Not quite sure what kind of paint to use, and if they need heat or sun or what to dry and look realistic.. any tips would be much obliged..

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-26-2010, 08:18 PM
really cute but rather make it than buy it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fall-Harvest-Tha...item5640d455f7

I miss autumn already it is my second favorite season.. all the colors and beauty.. such splendor, harvest and a new crisp smell in the air..

Woodrow
12-26-2010, 09:40 PM
:sl:

As a kid my grandparents raised gourds nearly every year. But we used them for functional things like water bottles, dippers, bird houses etc. So we never painted them they all came out a sort of yellowish color. But to dry them we first gently scraped the outside with a dull knife, then either poked a few holes in the stem end or cut a small hole. To dry we set some of them on the floor behind the kitchen stove (Big old wood burning stove that also served to heat the house.) Some of the larger gourds we spread out on the attic floor. About once a week us kids had the job of turning the gourds we would roll each one about 1/4 turn. It did take almost a year for them to dry fully and as soon as one batch was finally dry, it was time to start drying a new crop.

جوري
12-26-2010, 09:49 PM
what are they exactly? I thought people carved them out of wood and then either painted them or put them up for sale for other people to paint..I do see quite many of them on ebay used for bird housing and such .. I am a bit embarrassed to admit this but I only learned about them after shopping at crate and barrel .. they had a few on sale and I didn't buy them at the time and then i regretted it because I just thought they're the greatest thing since croissants with jam and tea :lol:

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
12-26-2010, 11:00 PM
:sl: dear ukhty,

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
what are they exactly?
They are the relatives of pumpkins, and are from the same family. You grow them just like pumpkins.

Unfortunately that's all I can tell you about them.

This wikipedia page has a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourd

جوري
12-26-2010, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
They are the relatives of pumpkins, and are from the same family. You grow them just like pumpkins. Unfortunately that's all I can tell you about them. This wikipedia page has a bit of info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gourd

that tells me alot shuga.. they're the dried shells of these fruits.. I was under the impression they were carved out of wood but it seems the authentic ones are made from dried shells..

Jazaki Allah khyran

Woodrow
12-27-2010, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

that tells me alot shuga.. they're the dried shells of these fruits.. I was under the impression they were carved out of wood but it seems the authentic ones are made from dried shells..

Jazaki Allah khyran
:wa: Ukhti,

Gourds are quite versatile. A number of them besides their cousins the pumpkins and Squash are edible. Such as my favorite the "Hercules Club" gourd which can be very large I believe over 6 feet long. Largest I have personally grown were about 5 feet. In their juvenile stage until they are about 3 feet long they can be used exactly like egg plant and are quite delicious. Another real good one is the Loufah gourd. Usually grown for the inside dried fiber which can be used like a sponge but until it is about a foot long it can be eaten like squash. They are a very versatile group of vegetable with uses way beyond food. One of the wonders od Allaah(swt) Subhan Allah

Some interesting info:

Cucumbers, Melons & Gourds
Cucurbitaceae
The Gourd Family
(Excerpts from "Cucumbers, Melons, and Gourds From Seed To Supper" 2nd Edition)

Cucurbitaceae The Gourd Family This family includes cucumbers, melons, pumpkins and squash along with utilitarian, decorative and edible gourds. Cucurbitaceae, the Gourd family (sometimes called the marrow family) are affectionately called cucurbits. Cucurbits are vine plants that produce fruit we consume as a vegetable. The fruit ranges in size from tiny marble sized Jumbie pumpkins to 6 foot long giant gourds. Most cucurbit vines are long and rambling. The 'bush' varieties have short and compact vines. The 'semi-bush' varieties are somewhere in the middle. Cucurbits are usually monoecious, producing pollen laden male flowers and seed bearing female flowers on the same plant.

Cucumbers, cultivated in India and Egypt for over 3000 years, were introduced to Northern Europe by the Greco-Roman culture. Cucumbers, melons and gourds all seem to have originated in southern Asia and Africa. Modern watermelons derive from a north African vine, Citrullus vulgaris, which has been cultivated in the Nile Valley for centuries. It still grows wild in the desert interior supplying water to natives during drought.
SOURCE

Ramadhan
12-27-2010, 12:47 AM
You may not want to know this, but the men of the native tribes in the easternmost island of Indonesia (west papua) wear gourd to cover their private parts. And it is the only thing they wear. It's called koteka.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koteka
They also dry out gourds and use them for water container, art crafts, etc.

Another interesting note is that gourds were the fruit that Allah SWT grew next to prophet Yunus (as) after Allah SWT pardoned him and took him out from the fish. Prophet Yunus (as) ate them and were cured from his illnesses and became strong and healthy.

جوري
12-27-2010, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
You may not want to know this, but the men of the native tribes in the easternmost island of Indonesia (west papua) wear gourd to cover their private parts. And it is the only thing they wear. It's called koteka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koteka They also dry out gourds and use them for water container, art crafts, etc.

Interesting.. they must play alot of contact sports ;D

Jazaka Allah khyran for sharing...

Hamza Asadullah
12-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Squash is among the vegetables mentioned by the Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). A Hadith from Bukhari quotes that Ibn Malik said, "A tailor invited the Prophet to a meal that he had prepared, and I went along with the Prophet. The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd."

جوري
12-27-2010, 01:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Squash is among the vegetables mentioned by the Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam). A Hadith from Bukhari quotes that Ibn Malik said, "A tailor invited the Prophet to a meal that he had prepared, and I went along with the Prophet. The tailor presented barley bread and soup containing gourd and cured meat. I saw the Prophet picking the pieces of gourd from around the dish, and since then I have kept on liking gourd."

awwwwwww.. sob7an Allah.. I think prophet Mohammed (PBUH) just wanted to leave the cured meat for his host...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!