/* */

PDA

View Full Version : New Years

Beardo
12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Anyone doing anything for the New Years? Do you stay up until midnight?

It's pretty pointless, really. Just watch the YouTube clips if you really must the following day. :p

But it's just out of curiosity.

I know one of my local Masajid is having a Qiyaam...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
glo
12-31-2010, 08:15 PM
My children are desperate to stay up until midnight, but hubby and I will probably go to bed at our usual time (around 10 pm).
I appreciate the sense of reflection, fresh hope and new beginnings which the New Year brings - but by the end of the day (pun not intended :D) it is just another ordinary day.

Every day brings fresh hope and new beginnings, so why make a big deal out of the turning of the year?

GuestFellow
12-31-2010, 08:25 PM
:sl:

Anyone doing anything for the New Years?
Nothing special.

Tomorrow I will have finished paying off my course fees so I'm happy about that. I'm not looking forward to the exams and job hunt.

Aishath
12-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Nothing at all. Trying to struggle through my immense coursework :(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
R Khan
12-31-2010, 09:07 PM
Call of duty black ops.

~Raindrop~
12-31-2010, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
I know one of my local Masajid is having a Qiyaam...
How does New Years' Eve fit in with Islam and the Masaajid? :hmm:
SubhanAllah.

Danah
12-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Nothing!! its already 1:30 AM here which mean that its already the new year here, on that time I was talking with my nephew and didn't pay attention to the so called "new year eve" instead I am doing some work on the computer.
Human should think of everyday as a new start not only the new year!

and about those who are doing Qyiaam!! From where they come up with such practice? Did the prophet prayed like that? whats wrong with those people? :hmm:

purple
12-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Who care what others do? Why do people seem to have hizzy fit over it?

I like watching the firework that is it really.
It is 21:38 in the UK. If I am awake, I would watch the firework on Telly.
:wa:

Tyrion
12-31-2010, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by R Khan
Call of duty black ops.
Same. :p

(>'.')>

R Khan
12-31-2010, 10:13 PM
11 Killstreak - Gunship: Pew pew.

That's how i'll end this year.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-31-2010, 10:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ubah
Who care what others do? Why do people seem to have hizzy fit over it?

I like watching the firework that is it really.
It is 21:38 in the UK. If I am awake, I would watch the firework on Telly.
Assalaamu`Alaaykum sis

Nobody is having a Hizzy fit over it sis, the new year thing hasnt got anything to do with Islaam as the Islamic year has already begun and the sistahs are explaining how things that arent "Islamic practices" are taking place today which is kinda classed as almost "Bidah" which is something we as muslims should take into account.

What about the Islaamic year, nobody could care less about when that begun.

Anyways this could go on for ever as its called generalising. I agree with sister Glo its just another "ordinary day" and in reality we are just getting closer to the day we shall return to our lord!

The things we should try do is something that benefits us such as memorising some Quraan, bettering our Salaah anything we feel we should improve that pleases our Lord SWT.

and no im not tryna sound harsh just about time we take some things seriously insha`Allaah. And may Allaah grant the Ummah strength to stay away from that which is harmful towards us and guide us to what which is best for us Ameen.

peace

purple
12-31-2010, 10:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм

Assalaamu`Alaaykum sis

Nobody is having a Hizzy fit over it sis, the new year thing hasnt got anything to do with Islaam as the Islamic year has already begun and the sistahs are explaining how things that arent "Islamic practices" are taking place today which is kinda classed as almost "Bidah" which is something we as muslims should take into account.

What about the Islaamic year, nobody could care less about when that begun.

Anyways this could go on for ever as its called generalising. I agree with sister Glo its just another "ordinary day" and in reality we are just getting closer to the day we shall return to our lord!

The things we should try do is something that benefits us such as memorising some Quraan, bettering our Salaah anything we feel we should improve that pleases our Lord SWT.

and no im not tryna sound harsh just about time we take some things seriously insha`Allaah. And may Allaah grant the Ummah strength to stay away from that which is harmful towards us and guide us to what which is best for us Ameen.

peace
This actually the first time I heard of any mosque doing this. And how do we know the mosque is even Sunni? And how do we know they are actually doing this not just a rumour? But that doesn’t shock me. Yes I am well aware of what Bidah is. :statisfie

I simply don’t think we should even care about it. We don’t know what kind of Muslim run the Mosque, whether it is a mosque, whether the “mosque” is run by “Muslim” and whether it is true.

It like ground zero community centre where people assume it is a mosque run by Sunnis. ^o)

Woodrow
12-31-2010, 11:21 PM
No choice here we are snowed in for the next few days. I took this from the window. I'm not getting out of the house again until the snow stops

Click on the picture

Aishath
01-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Asalaamu alaykum,

I do actually know a lot of Muslims who just have the habit of wishing each other happy new year but then not actually go out 'celebrating it' or even believe that it is actually a real new year since obviously our new year is Muharram 1 (which coincidentally was when I was born as well). I think it's more to do with custom now than actually believing it to be the 'new year'...

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
Human should think of everyday as a new start not only the new year!
Well said! :) I am going to try and set myself some goals but once I've got my work out of the way (or when I'm on one of my many breaks) but just because I want to self improve really. I do this thing where I write out something I would love to achieve over the year insha Allah, and I put it away and much later, I take a look at it and see how I've got along in terms of getting closer towards that goal.

Rafeeq
01-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I was awake until midnight due to some personal works and when I went to bed, I could not sleep almost all the night due to sms' on my cell phone (my problem, I never switch my mobile off or put it silent)

Adil
01-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Salam
I dont do anything on new years night,I was playing videogames then pray my and went to bed....the daily stuff :D

Salamu aleikum

glo
01-01-2011, 08:50 AM
The beauty of not staying up on New Year's Eve is that you wake up refreshed and energetic the next morning, when everybody else is sleeping it off.
Now, should I go and set off some early morning fireworks in the street, I wonder?! To entertain the neighbours ... :D

Amoeba
01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
It would be nice to live somewhere that this kind of stuff is frowned upon rather than accepted as the norm. I HATE HATE HATE new years eve! It's so difficult to sleep when your walls are rattling due to loud music from the two different neighbours you're sandwiched between! And there's not a single thing you can do about it (I know these neighbours, rough, nasty people that you can't really negotiate with). It's the one time of year people can get away with such loud noise, because the police pretty much told me over the phone that noise patrol are off and the police said they probably wouldn't be able to get anyone to check it out... which they didn't.

Tyrion
01-01-2011, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
It would be nice to live somewhere that this kind of stuff is frowned upon rather than accepted as the norm. I HATE HATE HATE new years eve! It's so difficult to sleep when your walls are rattling due to loud music from the two different neighbours you're sandwiched between! And there's not a single thing you can do about it (I know these neighbours, rough, nasty people that you can't really negotiate with). It's the one time of year people can get away with such loud noise, because the police pretty much told me over the phone that noise patrol are off and the police said they probably wouldn't be able to get anyone to check it out... which they didn't.
Just join the party. :p

Amoeba
01-01-2011, 09:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion

Just join the party. :p
I was about ready to crash the party. Baseball bat to the speakers!

glo
01-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Having unfriendly inconsiderate neighbours is a real problem! You have my sympathies.

I am lucky that our street is fairly quiet. People come out in the street at midnight and might let off fireworks, but that's it. No loud parties or music this year.

Invest in some good ear plugs. I'm a light sleeper and they work a treat for me!

Amoeba
01-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Well, alhamdulilah it's the one and only time of year it really happens. Any other time of year it's quite quiet except sometimes, and usually when it gets loud it gets dealt with.

When it's loud music it's better to have something to drown it out as the bass travels through solid objects, such as the floor, the walls, the bed and your jaws. The sound gets to your ears whether they're blocked with earplugs or not. So I have this muckle electric fan that gets really loud when it's turned on, but it's just white noise so it's easy to sleep through. Very rarely do I hear the music over it (like last night).

I have a friend who has to deal with much worse so I should count myself fortunate.

Woodrow
01-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Not a sound in the entire town except for the roaring wind that is still continuing. But does seem to be slowing down. Nothing like a good blizzard to reduce the sounds of any celebrations. All of the main highways in North Dakota are still closed. I don't think there were many if any celebrations up here.

A-Believer-25
01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
As-salam 'alakum wa rahmatullah wa barakatu

Speaking of new years, how do we respond to people who wish us a "happy new year"? Since new years has nothing to do with religion, would it be haram to respond to the new years greetings?

Just wondering.

glo
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I noticed on facebook that many Muslims wished a Happy New Year, even to other Muslims.

I commented on it, and was sent this reply:
The reality is that the Muslim New Year begins with the month of Muharram, which was observed a few weeks back. The year begins with spiritual exertion and fasting, to commemorate the exodus and delivery from Pharaoh's tyranny of the Prophet Moses (peace on him) and his followers.
For Shia Muslims, the year begins with sadness with the commemoration of the death of the Prophet's grandson, Hussain the great Martyr and his family.

So Muslims are deeply engrossed in the events marking the Islamic New Year. However, we are by large pragmatic people, and the reality is that the global calendar used is the Gregorian calendar: for the majority of Muslims, to celebrate the secular New Year is an acceptable way of marking the passage of time, so to celebrate it and wish well for all is not a secular 'unbeliever' project at all, but another opportunity to recognise the hand of God in all that we do. This takes me back to your earlier comment - each day is a blessing and a celebration!

muslimah_91
01-01-2011, 08:02 PM
No i actually didn't watch the new Year programs this year!.....
2011,,,,,,wooo. its almost 2012...J/K....

Tyrion
01-01-2011, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimah_91
No i actually didn't watch the new Year programs this year!.....
2011,,,,,,wooo. its almost 2012...J/K....
I was going to watch the countdown on TV, but I kinda got caught up with my video games... Some fireworks let me know when the clock hit midnight though, so it worked out in the end. :p

By the way, Happy New Year everyone. :D

R Khan
01-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I dazed off during the countdown, now I have to wait for next year.

Woodrow
01-01-2011, 09:03 PM
The snow finally stopped. I get to celebrate New Year's Day with a snow shovel. Here are our car and truck.

PouringRain
01-02-2011, 05:47 AM
It was very quiet this new year's around here. I only heard just a few quiet pops from fireworks, so quiet that I barely noticed. I heard no parties, nor loud music.

As for our new year's eve...... we went to the kid's school's basketball game, and then afterwards we went to church. Our church had a candlelight service, which was very nice. Afterwards we went out for dessert. Then we came home. It was very late already. My oldest wanted to stay up, so I agreed to stay up with her, and we played a game. Just after midnight, she went to sleep and I came on-line briefly.

Innocent Soul
01-02-2011, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
I noticed on facebook that many Muslims wished a Happy New Year, even to other Muslims.
I have also seen many muslims were wishing happy new year to everyone as if everyone wish each other eid mubarak. Its not that difficult not to celebrate new year. I was thinking whether it is permissible to promise ourselves that Inshallah I will so and so this year :><: . Example: Inshallah this year I will obey my parents and always say the truth.

Amoeba
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I just feel weird saying "happy new year" because whenever I was forced to say it there was no sincerity behind it. It was just "what everyone else does so you have to do it to not be rejected by your parents" kind of thing. Plus I'm not even sure what there is to celebrate about it. It seems like an ordinary day to me, unless there's something behind it I'm missing?

ardianto
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Safiya 1
I was thinking whether it is permissible to promise ourselves that Inshallah I will so and so this year :><: . Example: Inshallah this year I will obey my parents and always say the truth.
Nothing wrong with make a promise "Inshallah, started from 2011 I will obey my parents and always say the truth" if you make this promise on January 1, 2011. But it is wrong if you made this promise on January 1, 2010.

glo
01-02-2011, 12:59 PM
I just feel weird saying "happy new year" because whenever I was forced to say it there was no sincerity behind it. It was just "what everyone else does so you have to do it to not be rejected by your parents" kind of thing.
How can people force you to wish others a Happy New Year?

Plus I'm not even sure what there is to celebrate about it. It seems like an ordinary day to me, unless there's something behind it I'm missing?
I agree, Amoeba.
New Year's Day is just like every other new day - a fresh start full of new hopes, purpose and intentions.

Perhaps we should go round wishing people a happy new day every day - a day full of God's blessings and an opportunity to serve him and worship him? :)

S.Belle
01-03-2011, 03:02 AM
I put on a facial mask popped some popcorn and watched Blindside...i honestly forgot it was New Years..just seemed like another day.

Hamza Asadullah
01-03-2011, 03:43 AM
I'm not even sure what there is to celebrate about it. It seems like an ordinary day to me, unless there's something behind it I'm missing?
Asalaamu Alaikum, Here is some information on the origin of New Years day:

First observed in ancient Babylon about 4000 years ago, New Year's celebrations were held in the Spring; many of these ancient festivals lasted for several days and specifically focused on giving thanks for another planting season, tributes to the Gods, and renewing vows to the community.

In European culture, the New Year's celebrations evolved from the early Babylonian influences and the conflict between the Catholic Church and the deeply rooted pagan festivals of old. Over time, the merger of pagan practices with Christian holidays, such with Christmas and Easter took place because the early church continued to observe its holidays with pagan celebrations. Originally New Year's Day was celebrated as the Feast of Christ's Circumcision.

In the first centuries, the Romans continued to recognize New Year's festivals. The early Catholic Church condemned the festivities as paganistic. But as Christianity became more widespread, the early church observed its holidays alongside pagan celebrations. Ultimately mergers of pracitces took place. Christmas and Easter are two familiar holidays inwhich pagan rituals were incorporated into Christian holidays. New Year's Day was no different.

During the Medieval Times, the Church continued to oppose celebrating New Years, but over the past 400 years, the practice of celebrating New Years has become a standard in the Western World.
January 1 as the Start of the New Year

Source:http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...y_customs.html

So along with Christmas and Easter, New Years day is just another festival originated from Paganism and hijacked by Christianity.

Hamza Asadullah
01-03-2011, 05:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
How can people force you to wish others a Happy New Year?

I agree, Amoeba.
New Year's Day is just like every other new day - a fresh start full of new hopes, purpose and intentions.

Perhaps we should go round wishing people a happy new day every day - a day full of God's blessings and an opportunity to serve him and worship him? :)
We should all begin our day with our minds focused on optimising each and every second of the day in pleasing our creator. Each and every second each of us have been allocated is more precious than we can ever comprehend but we as humans are heedless and we waste our precious seconds like we have plenty of time on our hands but our time is short and can end at any second.

One of the great companions of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) Ibn Masood said: “I have never regretted anything as a day spent of my life without doing good deeds.”

Therefore we should also think like this and spend every second of our lives doing good and pleasing our lord and refraining from anything that angers or displeases him.

glo
01-03-2011, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
We should all begin our day with our minds focused on optimising each and every second of the day in pleasing our creator. Each and every second each of us have been allocated is more precious than we can ever comprehend but we as humans are heedless and we waste our precious seconds like we have plenty of time on our hands but our time is short and can end at any second.

One of the great companions of the Prophet (Peace be upon him) Ibn Masood said: “I have never regretted anything as a day spent of my life without doing good deeds.”

Therefore we should also think like this and spend every second of our lives doing good and pleasing our lord and refraining from anything that angers or displeases him.
Amen to that, Hamza. :)

Wishing you all a wonderful New Day, full of opportunities to serve and praise God in thought, word and deed!

Ramadhan
01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
and about those who are doing Qyiaam!! From where they come up with such practice? Did the prophet prayed like that? whats wrong with those people?

in Jakarta at least, many of my friends were doing qiyaamulail at masjids on the night of 31 december.
They did it not because the date has special meaning or as a matter of celebration. They see in the Indonesian society people were celebrating new years eve with a lot of definitely unislamic festivities and events, so they want to counter the practices by spending the night in masjid, in sujoods, in dhikr, reciting qur'an, praying.
As long as they do not think the new years eve hold any special meaning, i don't see how spending the night in masjid in remembrance of Allah is wrong.

As for me, because it was a long weekend, my family and I spent the weekend on a mountain, and me playing with my nephews and nieces :)

ardianto
01-03-2011, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
in Jakarta at least, many of my friends were doing qiyaamulail at masjids on the night of 31 december.
Not only in Jakarta, but also in Bandung and many cities.
They did it not because the date has special meaning or as a matter of celebration. They see in the Indonesian society people were celebrating new years eve with a lot of definitely unislamic festivities and events, so they want to counter the practices by spending the night in masjid, in sujoods, in dhikr, reciting qur'an, praying.
As long as they do not think the new years eve hold any special meaning, i don't see how spending the night in masjid in remembrance of Allah is wrong.
Comment from Ustadz Ahmad Sarwat :

"The event committee need to clarify explicitly if that event is not a rite in Ibadah, not Sunnah from Rasulullah SAW, and not part of Islamic Sharia"

This event has becomes a yearly tradition and according to some Ulama, has been turn into Bid'ah.
As for me, because it was a long weekend, my family and I spent the weekend on a mountain, and me playing with my nephews and nieces :)
Puncak Pass, isn't it ?. :)

GuestFellow
01-03-2011, 10:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
I put on a facial mask popped some popcorn and watched Blindside...i honestly forgot it was New Years..just seemed like another day.

I like popcorn.

:popcorn:

Ramadhan
01-04-2011, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Comment from Ustadz Ahmad Sarwat :

"The event committee need to clarify explicitly if that event is not a rite in Ibadah, not Sunnah from Rasulullah SAW, and not part of Islamic Sharia"

This event has becomes a yearly tradition and according to some Ulama, has been turn into Bid'ah.
I agree with this if they turn it into a ritual. My example was more of an individual decision to spend a night in a masjid, but not for those special masjid's new years committee.

format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Puncak Pass, isn't it ?.
Close, but we actually were in Sukabumi :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!