/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Student loan.. haram?

Hannah.
01-02-2011, 05:12 PM
I will be going to university next year insh'Allah but now as we know it in the UK there has been severe spending cuts, especially the cap on tuition fees. Also, nowadays every student applies for a loan unless they're super rich and their dad's some sort of tycoon. I will not be able to afford to pay for my tuition fees (minimum £6000 a year, maximum £9000) so I am thinking to take a student loan out to fund for my university fees. Is this considered haram even though this is the only way to go about it?

Jazak'Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
:sl:

I depends on what you want to do. I wanted to become a Solicitor and had to study a Law degree but I explored other options and found another route, which is cheaper. I didn't have to take out a loan to fund this course.

What would you like to study and are there any alternative options? If there are, I would advise you to take that the alternative option.

You can get a job, save up and then do a degree. :skeleton:

Hannah.
01-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm interested in studying business management.. theres this other option: my mother has offered to sell her land from Pakistan but I feel bad as something shes inherited would be spent on something like this :/ On the other hand I guess thats better than doing something haram..
I have thought of getting a job.. its just so difficult to get one though! Before everything used to be so easy and even university was free during my parents' time. :o

Maryan0
01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
I take student loans and there is no interest until you graduate and if you save up a large sum of money to pay back they may actually forgive you for the rest.
Maybe you should call a government office where you live to inquire about whether they have any sort of debt relief or forgiveness.
Also if you take student loans a portion of those loans are actually grants so you can save up those grants and pay your student loan after along with working.
*This is all assuming that where you live many not charge interest until after graduation.
Salam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
01-02-2011, 11:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Believe.x
I'm interested in studying business management.. theres this other option: my mother has offered to sell her land from Pakistan but I feel bad as something shes inherited would be spent on something like this :/ On the other hand I guess thats better than doing something haram..
I have thought of getting a job.. its just so difficult to get one though! Before everything used to be so easy and even university was free during my parents' time. :o
There are alternative options to business management.

Jobs4u

^ Check this website and read about all the jobs that are open to you. Make sure you have considered all options.

I think all degrees are good but it is wise you have some work experience to back it up. Currently, employers want people with some experience. If there are no alternatives, do a degree.

I hope everything goes well.

qassy!
01-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Im sure the tuition fees are not confirmed as going up yet. Lets talk in the basis they are, as they prob will from September 2011.
You do not need to pay anything back until you earn £25,000+ after you graduate, the intrest is based on inflation which over the next 10 years is supposed to be averaged @ 4%
Inflation is technically not a type of intrest so it should be ok? shouldnt it?

Hannah.
01-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. Yes I think it should be wise to look for all the options available first, and on the other hand save as much as I can!

Bub
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I want to take student loan if i am going to univ this sept inshaAllah

laaib11
01-12-2011, 12:44 PM
you can try to define interest literally, but use your common sense, you are likely to pay back more money than you were lent. what does that sound like to you???

Hannah.
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes, I know this involves interest but at the starting point of paying it back sometimes theres an interest free rate.

Norar
01-28-2011, 07:19 PM
People have the right to an education see the human rights.
What I found online is that we have a bond and when you finish your school
you can pay of your student loan.
I opened a topic about this bond because I have some videos
but I dont know if we moslims can do this.
I know that Allah says that everyone has a share in this world and moslims also have it
in the hereafter but dont know if Allah means the bond this guy is talking about in the
8 videos I have here. I cant post them so if you like to watch them you can pm me
and I will sent it to you.

What the leaders (kafir) made people believe is that they are a person but that is not true
we have a person. We also dont have to pay tax etc.
People are using this bond to pay off their debt and pay their bills.
If you go and get your BirthCertificate you see a number on it.
People accept their BC for value and then they get their bond.
And they accept their bill for value and sent it back and what happens is
They do a sett off instead of Discharge. They zero that out.
pm for the videos

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!