/* */

PDA

View Full Version : need help understanding mudaf and mudaf ialyhi

nutty
01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Assalamu alakium

From my understanding mudaf is to be possessed while mudaf ilahi is the possessor.

e.g baytul allah - Baytul bein mudaf and allah being mudaf ilahi. Allah is the possessor of the house.

now in rabbul aalameen - rabbul is the mudaf which mean that it is possessed by the mudaf ilahi which is aalameen - world?..that doesnt make sense to me

Should aalameen be mudaf and rabbul be mudaf ilahi...because rabbul is possessor of the universe..

another similar one - rabbi nas - Surah Nas

zalimee anfusihim.....

jazak-Allah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
01-03-2011, 06:56 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by nutty
From my understanding mudaf is to be possessed while mudaf ilahi is the possessor.
Mudaaf/mudaaf ilayhi constructions generally denote possession, meaning something of something, or someone's something, eg كِتَابُ حَامِدٍ Hamid's book, or كُرْسِيُّ الْمُدَرِّسِ "the teacher's chair", or "the chair of the teacher".

e.g baytul allah - Baytul bein mudaf and allah being mudaf ilahi. Allah is the possessor of the house.
Here bayt is the mudaaf, and Allah is the mudaaf ilayhi, together being baytullah, meaning, "the house of Allah", or "Allah's house". It doesn't linguistically translate as "Allah is the possessor of the house", that would be something along the lines of "Allahu maalik al-bayt".

now in rabbul aalameen - rabbul is the mudaf which mean that it is possessed by the mudaf ilahi which is aalameen - world?..that doesnt make sense to me
Here Rabb is the mudaaf, and al-aalameen is the mudaaf ilayhi, meaning "Lord of the Worlds". It does not mean that the worlds physically possess the Lord, it means the Lord of the worlds. The mudaaf/mudaah ilayhi construction is something of something, or someone's something but, in English, to keep it short, mudaaf/mudaaf ilayhi is called possession, the mudaaf grammatically being called the possessor and the other word gramatically being called the possessed. It doesn't necessarily however mean that literally, one thing physically possesses the other.

another similar one - rabbi nas - Surah Nas
Meaning the Lord of mankind.

Should aalameen be mudaf and rabbul be mudaf ilahi...because rabbul is possessor of the universe..
No. See above.

While mudaaf mainly shows possession between two nouns, there also other words that function as mudaaf, and the noun that follows them being mudaaf ilayhi, eg تَحْتَ meaning 'under', eg تَحْتَ الْسَّرِيْرِ meaning "under the bed". Tahta here is grammatically mudaaf, and as-sareeri is mudaaf ilayhi, and it is called a possessive construction (mudaaf/mudaaf ilayhi) even though in the meaning there is no possession.

I hope that didn't make it more complicated.

nutty
01-03-2011, 09:00 PM
jazak-Allah..sister this makes sense......The trouble is am studyin by myself using youtube - madinan arabic course and if i have trouble understandin i cant ask...nd this is where i can ask questions knowin that my questions will be answerd. May Allah reward you sister. :-)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!