/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Moon god"?

Darth Ultor
01-03-2011, 03:19 PM
One of the many misconceptions about Islam is the idea that they worship a moon god. Where in God's name did this idea come from? Is it because of the crescent moon on the roofs of the mosques? If so, then some people really don't know history. The crescent moon and star is symbol of the Ottoman Empire, and now Turkey. It has no religious bearing as far as I know.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I think people just say it to annoy others, they very well know the truth. It couldn't get more clearer then some of the verses in the Quran that specifically say "Don't worship Allah's Creations, worship him alone".

"Among His Signs are the Night and the Day and the Sun and Moon. Prostrate (adore) not to the Sun and the Moon but prostrate to Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve." Holy Qur'an 41:37

Ok nvm, it is the Christian missionaries that try to say this, a bit desperate LOL. What's even sadder is that they don't consider that Jesus(pbuh) called God "Allaha", does this mean Christ was also misguided by Pagan Arabs?

S.Belle
01-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Some people also think we worship the sun as well..its just lack of knowledge.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I didn't know about the sun and the moon but I knew some Hindus who said that Muslims worship the Kaaba and that Kaaba being Shiva's [Hindu's greatest God] temple. *no comments*

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Sadly it is a very wide spread misconception. Mostly the result of ignorance but to some extent deliberately perpetrated.

Makes as much sense as saying Christians and Jews worship stars because both have stars as symbols. The Star of David of David/The Star of Bethlehem

Christians also have a fish and lamb as symbols, yet I have never seen any Muslim ever come to the conclusion that Christians worship fish and sheep.

Let us just recognize it as not knowing for most and forgive their ignorance.

For those who spread it as a deliberate lie, they shall one day enter the same future as all other liars.

Amadeus85
01-03-2011, 05:18 PM
As far as I know the moon god theory is false.

Islam was influenced mostly by talmudic judaism.

Hiroshi
01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

Christians also have a fish and lamb as symbols, yet I have never seen any Muslim ever come to the conclusion that Christians worship fish and sheep.
As far as I know, "Allah" is simply the Arabic equivalent of the Hebrew word "Eloah" meaning "God".

However, the "fish" symbol of Catholics may well have some connection with the pagan fish god Dagon. I cannot find definite proof of this, but many claim that the Catholic bishop's mitre worn today represents a fish's head with a gaping mouth in imitation of the ancient pagan priests of Dagon.

Tyrion
01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amadeus85

Islam was influenced mostly by talmudic judaism.
Or... You know... By God. :rolleyes:

aamirsaab
01-04-2011, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
One of the many misconceptions about Islam is the idea that they worship a moon god. Where in God's name did this idea come from? Is it because of the crescent moon on the roofs of the mosques? If so, then some people really don't know history. The crescent moon and star is symbol of the Ottoman Empire, and now Turkey. It has no religious bearing as far as I know.
Now you know the level of intelligence of an average anti islamic. So much fail, not enough picard to go around.

جوري
01-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Christian orientalists have been colorful and vitriolic since the very inception of Islam.
One you read the book a history of Quranic text from revelation to compilation, you'll see just how colorful and vitriolic they've been.. Sadly none of their claims take wings except in their own circles and amidst the ignorant.
I don't even think that is the worst thing they've made up along the way.. just leaves you wondering what they have to gain distorting the image of Islam? It doesn't make the man/god any more attractive..
Not sure what is worst even a moon god or a man god.. it is all equally absurd but that is what their mind is able to conjure...

all the best

TheRationalizer
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
I remember hearing this argument a long time ago. I don't recall it any more but I do recall it seemed weak and made no sense. Then I read the Quran and it says not to worship the Moon - so whoever made the claim obviously got it wrong.

Darth Ultor
01-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm sure they'd try to explain something away once they see the passage from the Quran saying not to worship creations.

Darth Ultor
01-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Didn't notice one of the posts. People accuse Muslims of Sun Worship? That was only in ancient Egypt at the time of the Pharaohs, their chief god was the sun god Ra (I think). Did it even extend outside Egypt?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!