/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Teaching for money

Ansariyah
01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
:sl:

Ive come across many people who want to teach the Quraan as long theres money on offer. This seems unethical and wrong. I mean why cant people do something solely for Allahs sake, without the need of filling their pockets. How can u even do somehting like that, I mean we're talking about the word of Allah! Isnt the fact that Allah blessed them with such noble teachings not enough for them? Can Allahs word ever be bought? SubhanaAllah!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansariyah
01-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Erm I forgot to add this:

Did the sahabas ever ask for money? How about rasululah (saw)...

Alpha Dude
01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Wa alaykum salam,

I believe you're being unfair. We all need to feed ourselves, even people who teach Quran. :)

Just think, someone spends his life learning Quraan and that is all he knows. How is he going to earn a living? The only thing he can do is sell his time teaching.

Another thing is that you are judging these people and assuming their intention is money. This is wrong of you. We need to have a good opinion of our brethren (husn al dhaan).

From another perspective, they'd be teaching our children the most important thing they would need in order to attain jannah. This is priceless. Seen from that light, we should be throwing our money at them without count (up to them whether they accept).

Ramadhan
01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
From another perspective, they'd be teaching our children the most important thing they would need in order to attain jannah. This is priceless. Seen from that light, we should be throwing our money at them without count (up to them whether they accept).
True.

a perspective from a student/learner:

When I was re-learning to recite the Qur'an last year, i was willing to trade all money I had in exchange of ability to read and understand the Qur'an. Not that I had a lot of money in the first place, but you get the idea.
Alhamdulillah i met a final year student at an Islamic university who taught me to recite the Qur'an. He drove motorcycle all the way bracing traffic (I can assure you that traffic in Jakarta is the worst in the world) three times a week in the evenings to come to my house to teach me from the very basic to all the proper tajweed and to answer all my basic questions about Islam.
He was quite poor (his parents lived in another island - west sumatra, which was struck with horrible earthquake last year) and he had to pay all living and university costs by himself, but he was willing to exchange his time and impart his skill and knowledge to me for a very small amount of money. I actually felt quite bad, because he would refuse the extra money that I gave him.
We remain in close contact and he is now a teacher in some islamic grade/high school.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansariyah
01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
Wa alaykum salam,

I believe you're being unfair. We all need to feed ourselves, even people who teach Quran. :)

Just think, someone spends his life learning Quraan and that is all he knows. How is he going to earn a living? The only thing he can do is sell his time teaching.

Another thing is that you are judging these people and assuming their intention is money. This is wrong of you. We need to have a good opinion of our brethren (husn al dhaan).

I didnt meant to be unfair, it wasnt my intention (May Allah forgive me). It just doesnt seem right to expect money to teach the word of Allah swt. I understand in the case u mentioned where one dedicated their entire life to learn the Quraan its ofcourse only fair to expect income but how about in the case where people already have professional jobs?

How about sincerely teaching someone (during ones spare time) hoping only Ajr from Allah swt alone. I personally would never sell my knowledge (not that I have any).

Jzk

Perseveranze
01-04-2011, 12:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I didnt meant to be unfair, it wasnt my intention (May Allah forgive me). It just doesnt seem right to expect money to teach the word of Allah swt. I understand in the case u mentioned where one dedicated their entire life to learn the Quraan its ofcourse only fair to expect income but how about in the case where people already have professional jobs?

How about sincerely teaching someone (during ones spare time) hoping only Ajr from Allah swt alone. I personally would never sell my knowledge (not that I have any).

Jzk
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Allah(swt) is everyone's witness, if someone who is already living comfortably with a job to support their family, tries to earn money through spreading Allah(swt)'s word then that is certainly wrong. But I believe our brothers are doing it with the right intentions and only need the money to make a decent living and support their family.

Hopefully when I get time in the future (after my Uni) I'll make a website dedicated to Islamic knowledge, I won't ask for money or anything regardless of my situation, I just want to help spread Allah(swt)'s word with the rightioues of intentions.

Maryan0
01-04-2011, 12:58 AM
I don't believe it's wrong even if they are living comfortably. Whether they choose to charge for ilm or not that's a personal choice. Those who don't charge for teaching Quran are certainly good people and Allah will reward them inshallah but those that choose to charge for it arent bad people either. They are still teaching Quran too.
Salam

nature
01-04-2011, 09:16 AM
If its a person's main job, then they shouldnt feel bad for getting a wage they need to live, but Ive noticed that some people do get greedy, I never learnt a thing at mosque it all came down to numbers and money. most ladies in our community nowadays, teach females/young children for free, in their spare time, they usually ask for a donation to go the mosque, but nothing else in terms of payment.

:wa:

Ummu Sufyaan
01-05-2011, 06:44 AM
wa alaykum us-Salaam
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20100/teaching%20quran

alot of teachers face alot of difficulties when teaching such as lazy students who dont do their homework, lazy parents who dont help their children with their homework disrespectful students and parents who take their Islamic learning as a joke and think its ok to drop off and pick up their students too early or too late to class, etc...generally people dont have consideration towards their teachers and often the teacher is made to suffer becuase of peoples lack of responsibility-as of teachers dont have anything better to do than to chase after the responsibility of their students.

demanding a payment may definatley add up to your students and their paretns respecting you and your efforts.

Muhaba
01-05-2011, 07:48 AM
people shouldn't ask for money for teaching the Quran. This is the right way. Once a sahabi taught someone the Quran and in return he was given a bow as a gift. He asked the prophet SAW about it and the prophet SAW said that if he wanted to keep a bow of fire then he should keep it. so ppl should teach the Quran and religion free of charge. they can do something else to get money, fo example teaching Arabic. They can say to their students that "we don't charge for teaching the Quran but we will teach you arabic and charge you for it." of course if someone can't pay then they shouldn't refuse to just teach the Quran.

the Quran should be taught free so that everyone can learn it. people should try their best to spread Allah's religion in whatever way they can free of charge.

Ansariyah
01-05-2011, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
people shouldn't ask for money for teaching the Quran. This is the right way. Once a sahabi taught someone the Quran and in return he was given a bow as a gift. He asked the prophet SAW about it and the prophet SAW said that if he wanted to keep a bow of fire then he should keep it. so ppl should teach the Quran and religion free of charge. they can do something else to get money, fo example teaching Arabic. They can say to their students that "we don't charge for teaching the Quran but we will teach you arabic and charge you for it." of course if someone can't pay then they shouldn't refuse to just teach the Quran.

the Quran should be taught free so that everyone can learn it. people should try their best to spread Allah's religion in whatever way they can free of charge.
My sentiments exactly sis, Jzk.

GuestFellow
01-05-2011, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah

Ive come across many people who want to teach the Quraan as long theres money on offer. This seems unethical and wrong. I mean why cant people do something solely for Allahs sake, without the need of filling their pockets. How can u even do somehting like that, I mean we're talking about the word of Allah! Isnt the fact that Allah blessed them with such noble teachings not enough for them? Can Allahs word ever be bought? SubhanaAllah!

It is not as simple as that. I had a teacher who taught the Qur'aan to me twice every week. He was very poor and needed money to live. So, in this situation, I don't think it is wrong to charge money and my family are not poor either, and can afford it. He wasn't charging a lot, like £5.

On the other hand, someone who is rich and wealthy, and refuses to teach a poor family about how to read the Qur'aan, I think is unfair.

shev
01-08-2011, 05:55 AM
yes people who teaches Quran shouldn't ask for money, but the one who is learning should give money (in our country we say gift ) for his effort.....
and when sensitive people wants to buy a Quran they don't ask "how much is this?" they say " what is the gift of it? " means what should I give as a gift when I get it.

Muhaba
01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

It is not as simple as that. I had a teacher who taught the Qur'aan to me twice every week. He was very poor and needed money to live. So, in this situation, I don't think it is wrong to charge money and my family are not poor either, and can afford it. He wasn't charging a lot, like £5.

On the other hand, someone who is rich and wealthy, and refuses to teach a poor family about how to read the Qur'aan, I think is unfair.
You can give them sadaqa because on their poverty. but the teaching should be free. the sadaqa should be given to a person even if he isn't teaching you Quran. the 10 pounds that he was getting a week for teaching the Quran is a pretty low amount anyway and may not be enough for his weekly expenses. so if such a person is deserving, you can give him sadaqa. in Syria, ppl teach the Quran free and don't even take gifts, even on special occasions. they get pretty upset if you offer them money.

GuestFellow
01-10-2011, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
but the teaching should be free. the sadaqa should be given to a person even if he isn't teaching you Quran. the 10 pounds that he was getting a week for teaching the Quran is a pretty low amount anyway and may not be enough for his weekly expenses. so if such a person is deserving, you can give him sadaqa. in Syria, ppl teach the Quran free and don't even take gifts, even on special occasions. they get pretty upset if you offer them money.

He taught more than one student, so he managed to pay rent, food, bus, etc. As for Sadaqa, yes, that could be an alternative.

But, according to this: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/20100/teaching%20quran its lawful to pay money to those who teach the Qur'an. If one has the money to pay, I don't see anything wrong with it.

If someone does teach the Qur'an for free, they are doing an incredibly good deed.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!