/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Up to 100,000 Islamic converts living in UK!!!

Perseveranze
01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum(peace to everyone),

Up to 100,000 converts to Islam are living in the UK, with white women leading the growing number of people embracing the Muslim faith, according to a report published today.

The number of converts to Islam may have risen from around 60,000 in 2001 to up to 90,000 to 100,000, according to estimates in a report for the Faith Matters organisation.

A study by Kevin Brice, of Swansea University, on behalf of Faith Matters, found 5,200 people converted to Islam in the UK last year.

A survey of 122 converts last year showed 56% were white British, with women making up 62% of respondents. The average age at conversion was just over 27.

The majority reported difficulties after converting because of the negative attitude of their family, but over time this attitude became more "positive" according to the report.

The majority of the converts saw themselves as both British and Muslim and did not feel disillusioned with British society and culture.

But they also felt their own lives had been "lost" and were "lacking in purpose" before conversion, and feared that there was a "normalisation" of "immoral" behaviour amongst an increasingly less religious British public.

Only a very small minority saw celebrating birthdays, listening to music or reading fiction as prohibited by Islam, with fewer than 10% viewing attending a family Christmas dinner as forbidden.

A majority said that most or all of their close friends were Muslims but almost all felt that Muslims should not keep themselves separate from non-Muslims.

The vast majority of women had changed their appearance after conversion, with a significant majority adopting the hijab, or head scarf.

But the survey showed that the majority of converts disagreed with the niqab, or face veil, in spite of supporting the right of women to wear it.

"Converts do not represent a devious fifth column determined to undermine the Western way of life - this is a group of normal people united in their adherence to a religion which they, for the most part, see as perfectly compatible with Western life," the report said.

"Converts are generally at ease living in the UK and do not feel that British people are essentially hostile to Islam."

The findings have been released after Lauren Booth, sister-in-law of former prime minister Tony Blair, attracted widespread publicity when she announced last year that she had converted to Islam.

Faith Matters director Fiyaz Mughal said: "Conversion to Islam has been stigmatised by the media and wrongly associated with extremist ideologies and discriminatory cultural practices.

"Converts have an important role to play in supporting community cohesion, and it is vital that mosques can support them to encourage greater understanding amongst non-Muslims."
Source - http://www.24dash.com/news/communiti...s-living-in-UK

Another article on the same subject (top viewed) - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...h-2175178.html

Oh yeah, just point out that I also read the name "Muhammad" was the most popular name in the UK/ROTW. I read it on turntoislam, though the person didn't link to the source (said it was from the London Newspaper). Here's the link if you want to read up on that story - http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74805

Very interesting :) It's baffling even to me, that despite how badly Islam gets attacked (I mean literally, one in every 3 newspapers I pick up something bad about Islam), it's still somehow growing this rapidly. Mashallah.

[Taubah 9:32]"They wish to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will not agree except that He will perfect His light, even if the disbelievers get annoyed."

Though it's probably irrelevant, worth mentioning in an authentic hadith that the Prophet(pbuh) did say "upon the final hour" the Muslims will be "many in numbers".

Anyways, something that does interest me is the projection of this Islamic growth (especially in the west). It is widly believed that by 2050, Islam will be the "biggest religion" in the world. I was watching a very interesting debate yesterday between Muslims/Christians Apologetics, and the Christians pointed out that, within this century, some of the western countries will have a "Muslim population majority". They said that, the first is going to be France, then the likes of Great Britain and others will follow. Even countries like Denmark/Sweden which have a large Athiest population, Islam is spreading rapidly amongst them aswell. The worry of the Christian apologetics was "what if the majority vote for Shariah Law", and the debate was based on that (Is Islam or Christianity better for UK). If anyone wants a link to the debate, let me know.

Allah(swt) knows best!

Edit: Debate Link "What is better for UK, Islam or Christianity" -

Manual Link (incase video above doesn't load) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_6p_KwVl50

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bro
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
:sl:

Can you post the link please?

Perseveranze
01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bro

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Which link brother?

GuestFellow
01-04-2011, 10:28 PM

Mashallah, its amazing.

The findings have been released after Lauren Booth, sister-in-law of former prime minister Tony Blair, attracted widespread publicity when she announced last year that she had converted to Islam.
I was very surprised to hear Lauren Booth converted to Islam.

From my experience, converts to Islam set a better example.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
They massacre muslims in the millions with their wars, but Allah just creates 10 times more muslims in their own backyards and from amongst their own kind

Asiyah3
01-04-2011, 11:33 PM

:wa:

If you mean the source of the article, it was mentioned there below the article. If I misunderstood, sorry, please ignore this.

format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze

Bro
01-05-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm sorry. I meant the link for the debate. Maybe I'm the one who misunderstood.

Perseveranze
01-05-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry. I meant the link for the debate. Maybe I'm the one who misunderstood.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

My Sincere apologise brother, I misunderstood.

I've added the link to the first post.

Bro
01-05-2011, 01:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum,

My Sincere apologise brother, I misunderstood.

I've added the link to the first post.
JazakAllah! It is amazing at how fast Beth and Jim got put in their spots... Very funny.

Hugo
01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
They massacre muslims in the millions with their wars, but Allah just creates 10 times more muslims in their own backyards and from amongst their own kind
Who is 'THEY'?

glo
01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
It's a very interesting article.

Hopefully reverts to Islam will bring a 'better' (more inclusive) image of Islam to their non-Muslim friends, family and neighbours.

Sometimes reverts are presented in the media as being more extremist than their counterparts who were born into the Islamic faith - so reverts have a very important role in showing a positive and peaceful image of Islam in their communities and neighbourhoods.

"Converts do not represent a devious fifth column determined to undermine the Western way of life - this is a group of normal people united in their adherence to a religion which they, for the most part, see as perfectly compatible with Western life," the report said.

"Converts are generally at ease living in the UK and do not feel that British people are essentially hostile to Islam."
Very encouraging on both counts! :statisfie

Ummu Sufyaan
01-05-2011, 01:41 PM
^i dont think its the converts sole responsibility to show a good image of Islam. people must also open their hearts and minds and not be quick to judge. thats an important ingredient aswell.

glo
01-05-2011, 01:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
^i dont think its the converts sole responsibility to show a good image of Islam. people must also open their hearts and minds and not be quick to judge. thats an important ingredient aswell.
Of course it works both ways and it should be a two-way-thing.

I just meant to say that reverts in particular can play a great part in this. I imagine that many reverts would find it quite exciting to show the world the beauty of their new-found faith! So it's a great opportunity.

I strongly believe that those of us who follow God should make the greatest effort to show non-believers the beauty and love and grace of God. :statisfie

aadil77
01-05-2011, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hugo
Who is 'THEY'?
NATO countries

Hossam Al-Deen
01-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I lost a lot of respect for that Jay Smith guy. Especially the point where they showed that he is lying with regard to the issue of the Jews that were hostile to The Prophet(S) and how they went back on their word on their side of the treaty.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Of course it works both ways and it should be a two-way-thing.

I just meant to say that reverts in particular can play a great part in this. I imagine that many reverts would find it quite exciting to show the world the beauty of their new-found faith! So it's a great opportunity.

I strongly believe that those of us who follow God should make the greatest effort to show non-believers the beauty and love and grace of God. :statisfie
thats good. i certainly hope to see that as a reality :)

Perseveranze
01-06-2011, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Interesting you should say that, I do find that reverts (especially in the Western countriest) tend to appreciate their religion alot more than some those that are born into the faith. Reason I find it interesting is, the Prophet(pbuh) did say "The Light of Islam will rise in the West", only God knows.

جوري
01-06-2011, 08:03 PM
very nice....... subscribbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbes.. sob7an Allah, love it when prophecies fulfill .. it balances out all the negativity ..

:w:

Dagless
01-06-2011, 08:21 PM
JazakAllah, that was a good vid. I was surprised to see some quite underhanded tactics from the Christians where they quoted the Qur'an but then attached a completely radical meaning without evidence (eg. the whole rape thing). I'm sure that being seasoned debaters they knew the explanation for that verse quite well but decided to attack anyway - in the same way lawyers say something unfounded knowing that even if it's retracted the words have already had the desired impact.

Danah
01-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Allahu Akbar!!

One of the many reasons for the increasing number of converts in the world is this:
"This has been going on for the last 20 years and more so since 9/11. People are curious, so they go to the book rather than the distorted media headlines.
said by Sarah Joseph a British revert
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12075931

The surprising thing is that when the enemies of Islam accusing it to be oppressing to women we find that the majority of reverts are women...Interesting isn't?
SubhanAllah! Whenever I read such things the first verse come to my mind is always this:

{ يريدون أن يطفئوا نور الله بأفواههم ويأبى الله إلا أن يتم نوره ولو كره الكافرون (32) هو الذى أرسل رسوله بالهدى ودين الحق ليظهره على الدين كله ولو كره المشركون (33) }

Fain would they put out the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah disdaineth (aught) save that He shall perfect His light, however much the disbelievers are averse. (32) He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the Religion of Truth, that He may cause it to prevail over all religion, however much the idolaters may be averse. (33) [9:32-33]

Mohamed Issa
01-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Mashallah, people are waking up from the evil lies of Christianity Insha'Allah all of U.K. will be Muslim. People leaving falsehood (Christianity) for the truth (Islam) all around the world.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!