/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Debate about the niqab ban

Aishath
01-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Asalaamu alaykum,

I am an editor of our university newspaper and I run the debate sections. I was thinking of running a debate on the ban on the niqab and whether this is right/wrong. I am personally hoping to write the side of the argument that it is wrong to ban it. I want to make sure the side is done justice and if a non Muslims picks that side of the debate up, they may not fully appreciate the importance on a niqab and may just talk in order to bag another article under their names.

However, I am wondering if I can run such a debate. Because obviously I would have to edit and approve the other side of the debate to be published as well although I wouldn't be approving their opinion of course. I think this would be quite a good topic to bring to the forefront of students' minds and personally I am hoping that even though I am not the most devoted, pious Muslim, I would love to be able to try and bring some perspective on the niqab ban and how wrong it is.

Brothers/sisters, if you feel like it is okay for me to run such a debate given the content, I would love some help please. I would love to hear from some niqab wearers how you started, whether you chose to do it or if you first intially did it because you were asked to and so on and so forth. I would love to make this a really strong article insha Allah and try and make an attempt to show niqab wearers in a good light in my UK uni.

But, first, would it be okay for me to run such a debate topic?

May Allah bless you and all of us. Ameen.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
wa aaykum us-Salaam

not to crush your hopes or anything, but imo, debates are mostly just a war of words...not only that, but it may give rise to fitnah in the sense that it may confuse people about the niqaab and if those confusions and allegations arent put to rest this has done more bad than good.

if you want to get the word out about the niqab and add a contribution, just write something about it stating your points and their refutations...it doesn't necessarily have to be refutations though, just whatever it is you feel that needs to be addressed concerning the niqaab...perhaps collecting the opinions from revert and non-revert sisters about why they wear the niqaab and what lead them to wear it, etc...what im trying to say is that by you using a different method other than debating (such as writing, like i mentioned) that way you have given the last word and there is no-one there to turn and twist your argument around and create unnecessary fitnah- dont be fooled by this debate business...it doesn't always help.

see what needs to be addressed and think of the best approach to tackle it. you know what the situation is like in your area so take it from there. there are literally loads of methods amd ways you can use to your advantage in support of the niqab, not just writing saw i said, but perhaps interviews, recordings etc.

also remember to keep it simple. a lot of people think that writing is about long winded out essays and seem to include alot of unnecessarily waffling on to get their point across. but if you can get your point across in simpler terms and you feel that is more affective, go for it and adopt that method-less is more as they say plus it's alot less confusing.

all the best.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!