/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Science questions!

Musalman
01-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Here`s a question:
Why do we feel dizzy when we spin?

You can also ask questions but first one question and answer and then the other. Please!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Musalman
01-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Hello guys! I`m waiting!!!!!

gohar98
01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Hey bro!

Rolling down a hill or spinning around in endless circles causes dizziness or vertigo because hair-like sensory nerve cells in our ears send wrong messages to our brain.
The motions of our bodies are detected by the vestibular system found in the upper part of our inner ear. The vestibular system senses whether we are standing up or lying down.
When we spin in circles or get up too fast from the couch, we feel dizzy and lightheaded due to the vestibular system's nerve reactions to these unusual motions.
Here's how our vestibular system reacts to a slight change in direction when we bend our heads: The vestibular system senses motion through three semicircular canals that are at right angles to one another. Not only do these canals have hair-like sensory nerve cells, but they also contain a fluid called endolymph.
Following the principle of inertia, endolymph resists changes in motion. As a result of this resistance, the endolymph lags behind and stimulates hair cells to send nerve signals to the brain. Our brain interprets the nerve messages and knows which direction the head moved.
However, when we spin, our brain receives mixed messages. The endolymph slowly begins to move in the same direction we are spinning. As time goes by, the endolymph catches up to the rate of speed we are spinning and no longer stimulates the hair-like nerve cells. This causes our brain to quickly adapt to the nerve signals. However, when we stop spinning, the endolymph continues to move and stimulates hair cells in the opposite direction.
These hair cells send wrong messages to the brain making it think that the head is still spinning although it actually has stopped. As a result of this inaccurate signal, we experience dizziness. Eventually, the endolymph stops moving and no more signals are sent to the brain. The brain interprets that the spinning motion has ceased and the dizziness disappears.
Next question:What are teeth made of?

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-15-2011, 02:35 PM
Teeth are made of calcium with enamel coating. Am I correct?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Hey bro!
Teeth are made up of four main parts. On the outside is a protective layer of enamel - the hardest substance in the body. Below that is a bone-like substance called dentin, which makes up the largest part of the tooth. Underneath the dentin, the tooth actually has a soft center. This is called the pulp, and it houses all of the tooth's blood vessels and nerve endings. Finally, cementum covers the roots.
Next question: Why is blood red?

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Teeth are made of calcium with enamel coating. Am I correct?
Yes you are also right.

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-15-2011, 02:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musalman
Why is blood red?
Due to Hemoglobin.

Hemoglobin is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein. :-\

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Now who will tell that why is blood red?

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:43 PM
I think that there were more threads here?

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Okay!!! the next question is:
What causes headaches?

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Although I don't know the answer, I'd like to congratulate you on becoming a fullmember, you'll be promoted in an hour. :p

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:48 PM
I`ll answer:
With the exception of migraine headaches, which are a different type of headache, headaches are simply painful symptoms of an underlying systemic problem or cause.
No specific cause can be fingered as the culprit responsible for the end result of a painful headache.
A multitude of causes exist for a headache, each of which has a different trigger mechanism, but the resulting headache in all cases is a red flag signaling a disorder somewhere in the body or in the nervous system.
In most cases, the anatomy of a headache can be dissected and understood, once it is traced back to its physical or neurological origin. The actual pain we experience does not stem from the actual brain matter contained in the skull, but from the pain felt by the sensitive coverings of the brain, and of the large veins and arteries which drain fluid from the brain. Sinus, tooth, ear, and muscle pain produce headaches by radiating the pain to these sensitive coverings when they tense, and when the muscles spanning the neck and the base of the skull contract.
Complaints of headaches commonly fall under the heading of vascular headaches, and result when the arteries in the skull dilate, often because of triggers that include hunger, caffeine deprivation, and hangovers. Other cases simple to diagnose include cases where people experience the effects of sudden physical and emotional trauma from an automobile accident. The violent jolts their bodies sustain, or the effects of their necks twisting, often result in headaches, because the trauma from pulled or tensed muscles triggers pain in the sensitive brain structures.
Further, severe emotional trauma causes muscles over the back and at the lower part of the head and the neck to contract, resulting in an instantaneous headache.
The important thing to remember, when one experiences a headache, is that it is a symptom of underlying disorders, with multiple causes, that should command respect, and that merit diagnosis.
Next: Why don`t ladies have beards?

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Although I don't know the answer, I'd like to congratulate you on becoming a fullmember, you'll be promoted in an hour. :p
Thankyou very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Okay the answer of "Why don`t ladies have beards?" is:
Most adult women do not have facial hair because female glands and hormones step in to prevent this growth. The female sex hormone stimulates the growth of hair on the head, prompting frequent visits to the hair salon, and stunts the growth of the beard and of body hair. Of course, the female hormones do not always completely inhibit the growth of facial or of body hair, and some unwanted hair develops, but this is nothing that cannot be cosmetically corrected by another trip to the beauty salon, to the drug store, or to the doctor.

Musalman
01-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Next question?

gohar98
01-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Hmmmmmm.......... The question is:
Where do fish go in winter?

IAmZamzam
01-15-2011, 10:52 PM
I don't know but for a fuller answer as to why blood is red, the color that anything takes on is determined by the shape of the chemicals it's made of and the angle of the light shining through it. Different shapes and different angles of light cause different amounts of light (called "wavelengths") to hit your eye, and your brain interprets these different amounts as separate colors. I can't give it to you in any more detail than that because beyond that point my understanding starts to get fuzzy, but with luck that should suffice.

CosmicPathos
01-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Well the blood is not always red and is also not just red. Its color varies from bright red to dark red depending on the configuration of hemoglobin molecule. When there is oxygen bound to the Fe +2 then its color is bright red. While deoxygenated blood is dark red color (it appears blue when we look at veins from outside the skin). In a diseased hemoglobin, such as methemoglobin when Iron is Fe+3, it appears dark brown colored.

The reddish color of hemoglobin is well because it reflects light in the wavelength visible spectrum which is in red color region.

IAmZamzam
01-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Isn't blood sometimes kind of purple? Depending on how far from the heart it is, I think?

CosmicPathos
01-15-2011, 11:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
Isn't blood sometimes kind of purple? Depending on how far from the heart it is, I think?
No, thats a "myth" that deoxygenated blood is "blue/purple" colored. Blood in our veins appears as blue but thats cuz of light's play with skin tissue layers when seen from outside. Also distance from heart has nothing to do with blood color. Its the distance from the lungs which changes blood from deoxy state to oxy state.

But yes, blood is an interesting fluid. People have dedicated their research careers to study this liquid. A whole specialty in medicine called hematology is dedicated to blood and its disorders. Not only that, blood is one of the many unique things about us mammals.

IAmZamzam
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm not talking about veins appearing blue beneath the skin, I mean that blood is sometimes more purple than red. Not blue, purple. Kind of a dark burgundy.

CosmicPathos
01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm not talking about veins appearing blue beneath the skin, I mean that blood is sometimes more purple than red. Not blue, purple. Kind of a dark burgundy.
perhaps in some diseased state? normally i havent come across a dark burgundy blood.

gohar98
01-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Well I heard that de-oxygenated is purple or blue.

Musalman
01-16-2011, 08:43 AM
You are right gohar98. And the answer to the question [Where do fish go in winter?] is:
In winter only the top part of water is turned into ice. Fish are safe under the sheet of ice in liquid water.

Musalman
01-16-2011, 08:44 AM
The next question please?????????

Amoeba
01-16-2011, 09:02 AM
How exactly is muscle built up through muscle-building exercises and routines?

CosmicPathos
01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
How exactly is muscle built up through muscle-building exercises and routines?
we have to keep in mind that muscle cells do not divide (hyperplasia) such that one cell divides into two cells. So the only way for muscles to "grow" is by increasing the size of the already existing individual cells. This is called hypertrophy.

in addition, we have some muscle stem cells (myoblasts) which then transform into muscle cells when the muscle is stimulated by work out in the gym. So new cells are indeed created, but by previous muscle stem cells. But musch growth in this way is very little compared to hypertrophy that I mentioned above. There is no mitosis in muscle.

When we work out, we are putting stress on muscle. To meet the increased stress, the muscle cells starts creating new muscle proteins (myofibrils and sarcomeres) to meet the increasing stress. As a result, due to increased protein production, muscle size increases and we call it "muscle building."

This lack of cell division in muscles is one reason why heart attacks (myocardial infarctions) cannot be reversed. if heart muscle has died, it will never grow back or be replaced by new muscle on its own.

CosmicPathos
01-16-2011, 09:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gohar98
Well I heard that de-oxygenated is purple or blue.
no, that is completely wrong.

gohar98
01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
The next question is:
Why do we eat more in winter?

gohar98
01-16-2011, 10:09 AM
The answer is:
In winter our body needs more food to burn it for warmth.

Nest question????????

IAmZamzam
01-16-2011, 03:21 PM
The way they explained it to me in 7th grade health class is that muscles get damaged on a microscopic level whenever they contract, and the more they're used the more the rips occur. The body overcompensates when it heals them, putting more muscle tissue there than there was before. (When we say that we've ripped or pulled a muscle we mean that it's happened on enough of a macroscopic level to be harder to heal and more debilitating.)

ghost
01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
in this thread: wikipedia

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Although I am not a science/medicine/biology student, I am proud of my contribution to this thread. :D

IAmZamzam
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
I asked this same question to a doctor on another forum but he couldn't answer it due to the reference point not being practiced in his own country. In America bottles of Tylenol and what not always have this little gray plastic tube inside them, a cylinder maybe at the bottom of the bottle, and the only purpose I know of that it serves is to fake you out into thinking there's one more pill left when there isn't. What is the tube for?

Ramadhan
01-18-2011, 12:50 AM
I asked this same question to a doctor on another forum but he couldn't answer it due to the reference point not being practiced in his own country. In America bottles of Tylenol and what not always have this little gray plastic tube inside them, a cylinder maybe at the bottom of the bottle, and the only purpose I know of that it serves is to fake you out into thinking there's one more pill left when there isn't. What is the tube for?
maybe it functions like that of silica gels to absorp moisture?
to prevent the pills from sticking to each others?

gohar98
01-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Next question:
How many joints are there in human body?

Musalman
02-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Next: A magnifying glass is what type of lens?

Rafeeq
02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musalman
A magnifying glass is what type of lens?
Convex Lense

format_quote Originally Posted by gohar98
How many joints are there in human body?
I am not very sure but I remember the number is around 350 joints

Musalman
02-16-2011, 12:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
Convex Lense
Correct!

What causes a rainbow?

CosmicPathos
02-16-2011, 03:14 PM
diffraction of sunlight through the spherical water vapors stuck in the air causes dispersion and diffraction of light into its constituent colors VIBGYOR

IAmZamzam
03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Why do men have nipples? I've heard it's a holdover of a former time when they were an erogenous zone for us as well as women but I really don't know.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-19-2011, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Why do men have nipples?
They do? Oh! I didn't know that. :giggling:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!