/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which is better/easier for "you" Arabic learners?

Danah
01-10-2011, 02:10 PM
:sl:

What is better/easier for those who are learning Arabic language, writing the word as it should be written, or as it should be pronounced?

For example:
Al Salam Alykom
or
Assalamu Alykom

in the second sentences I wrote it as we have to pronounced it with tashkeel.

I wonder if that make some learners confused about the language.

I need your feedback jazakum Allah khair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MustafaMc
01-10-2011, 09:18 PM
For me it is helpful to have it transliterated as I would pronounce it. However, in reciting the Arabic we should learn how to go from the Arabic script to correct pronunciation. That is where the silent 'L' and such come in to play.

Danah
01-11-2011, 01:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
For me it is helpful to have it transliterated as I would pronounce it. However, in reciting the Arabic we should learn how to go from the Arabic script to correct pronunciation. That is where the silent 'L' and such come in to play.
JazakAllah khair for your feedback.
When I get asked by others about Arabic or translate an article where I need to romanize some Arabic words like salat (prayer) I wonder whether I need to write it as salat or salah...the later is the way we pronounce it while the first is the way we write it in.

It will be even more confused to write them in both ways if I need to let learners be aware of them all.

Insaanah
01-12-2011, 10:09 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
When I get asked by others about Arabic or translate an article where I need to romanize some Arabic words like salat (prayer) I wonder whether I need to write it as salat or salah...the later is the way we pronounce it while the first is the way we write it in..
I think the most important thing is that the person reading the article pronounces the words correctly as they should be pronounced in Arabic.

So Assalaamu alaykum, salaah etc.

In English, for words people aren't familiar with, they will pronounce them literally as they see them written, and if written according to the Arabic spellings, this will result in wrong pronounciations.

Just my opinion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MustafaMc
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
In English, for words people aren't familiar with, they will pronounce them literally as they see them written, and if written according to the Arabic spellings, this will result in wrong pronounciations.
I agree with this point as well. For those who are learning Arabic text, they will know when a letter is silent or is pronounced as an 'm' even though in Arabic it is an 'n'.

Mohamed Fathi
03-04-2011, 11:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

What is better/easier for those who are learning Arabic language, writing the word as it should be written, or as it should be pronounced?

For example:
Al Salam Alykom
or
Assalamu Alykom

in the second sentences I wrote it as we have to pronounced it with tashkeel.

I wonder if that make some learners confused about the language.

I need your feedback jazakum Allah khair
Look Dana,
Take this advice from an arabian guy ..
You should learn the word as it is written .. ask me why??
you learn Arabic not only to speak but also to read Qur'an, Books, .... etc.
Arabic inn Qur'an and Books is written as it should be written, not as it should be pronounced, so if u learn it as it should be pronounced , you will not be able to read books or Qur'an ..
So, you should learn Both ,,how to write and how to pronounce as well .

Tyrion
03-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Just think about how Arabic is taught in professional settings. I've never heard of an Arabic book or University classroom that didn't write the words the way they were pronounced, and that's because it just doesn't make much sense to write "Al-Salam Alaykum" versus "Assalamu Alaykum."... It would just hinder the learning process and confuse English speakers...

Although, the best method is to just abandon transliteration as soon as possible, which is how most (most likely all) classes do it. They basically only use the English version while the students are still learning the Arabic alphabet, and once they have that down, it's strictly Arabic.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!