/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you prove you're a Muslim in Mecca or Medina?

Darth Ultor
01-10-2011, 04:28 PM
No non-Muslims are allowed in those cities. To become Muslim you must verbally recite Shahadah. But anyone can just waltz in there and say Shahadah insincerely, visit the Kaaba or the Mosque of the Prophet to take pictures then go home. Are there measures taken to make sure those who enter those cities are real Muslims?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
01-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I remember someone else created a similar thread about the same issue few weeks ago. I can't remember who.

It will be good if someone post a link of that thread here.

But in general, its stated in the passport whether you are a Muslim or not. I am not aware of any other measures taken to prove that.

Abdul-Raouf
01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
If your a convert and if your passport name doesnt identify you as a muslim.... i think they would require a letter from your masjid...certifying your conversion .

Not sure though. I read this somewhere in IB.

MustafaMc
01-10-2011, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
If your a convert and if your passport name doesnt identify you as a muslim.... i think they would require a letter from your masjid...certifying your conversion .

Not sure though. I read this somewhere in IB.
Yes, you are correct. I went on hajj in 2010 and initially the travel director wanted me to provide such a letter even though my passport had 'Mustafa' as my name. I actually went to Kentucky and met the imam for the group months ahead of our departure in November.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
$tranger
01-10-2011, 06:28 PM
When applying for the visa if your passport does not have an 'obvious Islamic name' they will ask for a certificate from your local masjid/institute/Imam etc.

Tyrion
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I've heard that it's not that hard to get through if you're not Muslim... That would explain some of those documentaries/pictures/stories out there on Hajj that I think are made by non-Muslims.

Darth Ultor
01-10-2011, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I've heard that it's not that hard to get through if you're not Muslim... That would explain some of those documentaries/pictures/stories out there on Hajj that I think are made by non-Muslims.
There was also a movie called Le Grand Voyage (a movie about a son taking his father on the Hajj), which was made by a Muslim director. Though the main actor was actually a Jewish French guy.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-11-2011, 06:01 AM
^they actually filmed it in Mecca?...and i guess it would be in the hajj season?

Amoeba
01-11-2011, 07:57 AM
I was told that I would get a "certificate" in due time as proof by one of the staff members at the masjid that I took my shahadah. However, the management of the masjid has kind of gone into a state of disarray, and I'm unable to locate either of the witnesses who were there when I took the shahadah (one of them I don't think are a member of staff any more, the other I'm not sure was ever a member of staff to begin with though I have no idea really) and I never did get my proof. Would I need to do it again at a different masjid, seeing as there currently is no real management at my local at the moment?

Darth Ultor
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
^they actually filmed it in Mecca?...and i guess it would be in the hajj season?
Yes that was a legit Hajj. Nothing choreographed. It was an independent film on a low budget. There were very few real actors. Most of the people in all the countries they went to were actual citizens and at the Hajj scenes, most of them were real pilgrims.

Ramadhan
01-11-2011, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I was told that I would get a "certificate" in due time as proof by one of the staff members at the masjid that I took my shahadah. However, the management of the masjid has kind of gone into a state of disarray, and I'm unable to locate either of the witnesses who were there when I took the shahadah (one of them I don't think are a member of staff any more, the other I'm not sure was ever a member of staff to begin with though I have no idea really) and I never did get my proof. Would I need to do it again at a different masjid, seeing as there currently is no real management at my local at the moment?
Well, one day you will have to go hajj Insya Allah, so you might need that certificate to apply for your hajj visa.
Better take care for it now than later.

aadil77
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Well, one day you will have to go hajj Insya Allah, so you might need that certificate to apply for your hajj visa.
Better take care for it now than later.
one question bro if you don't mind (off topic)

how come malaysians and indonesians insert the letter 'y' into words such as shariah, insha'Allah? do you pronounce it the same way also?

Zafran
01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Salaam

Historically people have sneaked into Mecca

peace

Ramadhan
01-11-2011, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
how come malaysians and indonesians insert the letter 'y' into words such as shariah, insha'Allah? do you pronounce it the same way also?
yes we do pronounce it the same way as they do in arab.
In bahasa indonesia or malay we use/transliterate "sy" for "syin" and we use "sh" for "shad", but the actual sound we make is actually the same as other muslims do elsewhere.
So if an Indonesian write "Insha Allah", that actually be wrong, because that means a "shad" is used instead of "syin".
I hope I am not confusing you even further with this lol

There are also other differences as well. For example, some muslims in other countries would transliterate :sl: as "assalamu'alaykum", but an Indonesian would never use a "y" for "i" and instead writing it as "assalamualaikum".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!