/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I found a bird

Ummu Sufyaan
01-12-2011, 11:16 AM
:sl:
i found a bird. i think its a budgie . we've never kept a bird before except once when we were looking after a couple for a few days so im not exactly sure on how to look after it. i think its a stray bird and actually belongs to someone. we've tried asking around, but noone has claimed ownership.

i was wondering, until we find the owner, how do you look after these types birds? does anyone have any experience? what do we feed it? so far we've only put a piece of bread and some water and its in a show box thats got holes in it and is covered with window mesh. is that okay? also does it like the dark and is it ok if we put it in cold places? i mean what type of environment should we put it in? i heard that when budgies are separated from their companions, they die (of depression). is that true? how can i tell if its closing its eyes from sleep or if its sick or something? atm it just seems a bit "shy."

what exactly does this type of bird require...i'll just post a photo to ensure that its the right type of specie...its not the best photo but inshallah it should do.

any ideas?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-12-2011, 11:20 AM
:salamext:

Get some bird seeds from the petshop or supermarket or something. Give him some cut pieces of fruit and vegetables on his cage or in a container. Put water in another container. And put him in the same room as you. They hate being alone or in the dark or cold, and if they pluck their feathers out - they're stressed.

It's a budgie. They like that you talk to them alot, their friendly.

Search for something like; How to lookafter a budgie. on google.

~Raindrop~
01-12-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree. Get bird seeds etc from the pet shop. Talk to him softly, sing to him too, it'll help put him at ease. Make sure he has a supply of fresh water, and more in a bowl big enough for him to bathe in.
Whatever you do, DON'T give him avocado or chocolate. It's toxic for birds and will kill them. Also, avoid giving veggies that are part of the cabbage family.
They tend to enjoy small pieces of fruit/veg.
He's bound to be shy around new people. Give him time, and he'll soon be used to you, inshaAllah :)

Ansariyah
01-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Oh MashaAllah it Looks like a Budgie indeed. If u are intending to keep it I think u should think of purchasing a spacious cage.

I looked up a few, this one has some good info:
http://www.lisashea.com/petinfo/arti...rd_caring.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
01-12-2011, 01:29 PM
thanks for the replies.

would it be ok to feed it wheat seeds and sunflower seeds.

btw, do they like doing tricks to show off?

GuestFellow
01-12-2011, 02:06 PM

You can give it to the pet store. I had a budgie for 11 years. Budgie's are not that difficult to look after than compared to cockatoos.

Get some bird seeds from a pet store. You can give it fruits like an apple and make sure it gets fresh water throughout the day. Get a small mirror and show it to your budgie, it will start talking to its own reflection and go nuts (mine did). Do not clip its wings, get a vet to do it.

Do not try to stroke the budgie or pick it up. At this stage, it is probably scared and it might bite if it feels threatened. Its your fault if it bites you (this applies to many birds). Don't let kids handle it either. Put the budgie in a quiet place.

Get a big cage if you want to keep it. Get another budgie but it might NOT get another along with the other budgie, so be careful.

If I found a budgie, take it to the vet and get it checked up.

SafaAuditore
01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
I actually found out that birds don't like that crap the petstores sell...they adore RICE! or spagetti. Cause they see that they look like worms so they love em. Try giving them some of that.
Also, please put the bird in a box and ship it to the following address:
MY HOUSE!
I'll take care of it <333

sherz_umr
01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
lol..gothique.
Iv had budgies.DO NOT grab or touch the bird. Theyl be terrified of your hands later on.
It hates being in a box with its feet flat on the floor. It needs to perch and be able to see all around,only then itl b relaxed. A cage may come in handy later on too(if your nt planing to keep the bird). I always get some injured or sick bird. Could use the cage then.
If it stays 'fluffed up' most of the time,it could be sick.
Try budgerigars.co.uk. Its a realy gud place to learn about how to take care of em.

Endymion
01-12-2011, 05:55 PM
This thread is so cute :statisfie Remind me of my little finch,we found her outside our house and we take care of her for a week.And one day we woke up and found her gone :cry: And after one hour search we found out that the neighbor's cat ate her :raging:
Please make sure its security and keep it away from cats :D

Ummu Sufyaan
01-13-2011, 12:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gothique
I actually found out that birds don't like that crap the petstores sell...they adore RICE! or spagetti. Cause they see that they look like worms so they love em. Try giving them some of that.
Also, please put the bird in a box and ship it to the following address:
MY HOUSE!
I'll take care of it <333
too late! my brother told his friend (who has birds) that he's going to give it to him...i did give him the ok but now i regret it :hmm: i want to keep the bird. im going to try go back on my word :hmm:

it seems to like sleeping alot and it doesn't seem to be that scared of people...it seems very friendly.

If it stays 'fluffed up' most of the time, it could be sick.
ive noticed that it expands/puffs out its chest a few times...that isn't the same thing?

and ive finally taken some proper photos. it seemed to be a bit eager to fly around so i let it out a bit and it landed on the door frame.

sherz_umr
01-13-2011, 02:27 AM
NOOOOOOOOO...! GET HER BACK! :'(
Thy r realy easy to tke care.
I flt pity 4 my budgie onz..let it out of the cage,the poor thing smashed itslf against the wall and crackd its beak. Take care that doesnt happen.
thnk its a girl, les than 4months..if its not too cold and she stays fluffy most of the time with her eyes shut, she mayb sick. Tke her to a vet.

Ansariyah
01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
MashaAllah, she looks so pretty.

Amoeba
01-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Budgies are traditionally fed on seed but seed really isn't enough, a good pet store should be able to advise you on what invertebrates it needs and where you can find them (they're becoming more common on the market as pet owners are becoming more aware of their pet's dietary needs).

Something funny, the budgie might not be sleeping. It might be trying to hide from you, thinking if it can't see you then you can't see it. Try to see if it only closes its eyes when you approach it.

Also, 'it' looks like a he, but it's still hard to tell. The fleshy nose bit - usually if it's brown, yellow or beige then it's a female, whereas if it's blue then it's a male. Seeing as it's a whitish blue, it might be a male.

- Qatada -
01-13-2011, 02:26 PM
:salamext:

when it fluffs itself up for a long time, its trying to make you scared. So dont approach it then or it might poke you with its beak. Once it gets used to you, insha' Allah it'll come to you more.

glo
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan

format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
MashaAllah, she looks so pretty.
Actually, he's a male.
You can tell by the blue patch above his beak. In females it has a brownish colour.

He is beautiful, Ummu Sufyaan! And he looks very contented. :)
I think 'fluffing up' just means that he is relaxed and keeping warm. I wouldn't worry about that.

I had a budgie just like that when I was a teenager. I named him Gonzo (after the vulture thing from the Muppets). He was very tame and although he never learned any tricks, he was very chatty and able to copy sounds/voices.

Should you not be able to find his owner from the ring on his leg?

GuestFellow
01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
too late! my brother told his friend (who has birds) that he's going to give it to him...i did give him the ok but now i regret it :hmm: i want to keep the bird. im going to try go back on my word :hmm:

You can get another one. Budgie's are funny.

budgie going crazy

Not hard to look after. Get two if you are busy.

Don't make much mess either.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-14-2011, 01:02 AM
Should you not be able to find his owner from the ring on his leg?
no, not as yet. though we have one more person in mind that he could belong to.

another question: what is the expected amount of food they are supposed to eat per day? since i found him, he has hardly eaten anything im wondering if thats normal. Ive given him a carrot and some wheat seeds and water. but it doesn't look like he's really touched it.

if i dont end up giving him away or we get new ones, would it be ok if we put it in our chicken pen (my mum hates pet insides). thats the only proper place that i can think of for it. would that be ok since it was mentioned that it likes attention? i would get a few companions for it so that it wouldnt get lonely -or is human company a must?

glo
01-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Ummu Sufyaan, I don't think budgies eat wheat. The seed is possibly too big.
I recommend you buy specific budgie seed mix.

A website I found lists these ingredients for budgie food: Canary seed, White Millet Seed, Red Millet Seed, Yellow Plate Millet Seed, Japanese Millet Seed, Groats, Hempseed, Niger seed & Brown Perilla Seed.

http://www.robharvey.com/seed-mixtures.html

I also found this information:
What Do I Feed My Budgie?

A good mixture of canary grass seed, white millet, yellow millet, oats and groats and red millet, niger seed and linseed are ready made seeds you can find at your local pet store. The higher quality seeds come with a mixture of thistle, anise, sesame and safflower seed. Your budgie will de-husk their seeds and swallow the kernels whole. There may be a vitamin pellet included with iodine, which prevent thyroid problems. Vitamin B is good. Best place to store your seeds is in a dark, but airy place. Make sure you budgies food is in a tightly seal compartment. Usually they are sold in bags with zip locks. You want the feed to be as fresh as possible, and also you do not want any little critters getting inside. Some people store unused seed in their refrigerators until ready to use. Greens should be fed to your budgie once a day, but should not be left in the cage for more than an hour or so. Budgies in the wild feed on grass seeds, eucalypt leaves, buds and bark and other greens. Budgies are vegetarian and should not eat meats and milk. You should also offer your budgie fresh foods like green peas, cucumber, beet greens, carrots, unsprayed lettuce to name a few. Fruits that are good for your budgie are apples, apricots, bananas and most other fruits. Do not feed your budgie anything that is in the cabbage family, raw and green potatoes, green beans, grapefruit, rhubarb, plums, lemons, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine and avocado.

The budgies digestive system is designed to supply it with enough energy to fly. That is why budgies need a constant supply of nourishment. Budgies take in their food rapidly; their digestive tract is short and food passes through it in a few hours. If you heard the saying, "Birds Never Stop Eating" that is true. Budgies will starve to death if not given food for 48 hours. Budgies shell the seeds when they eat. Therefore what may look like a container with food might be a container full of shells (husk). Do not be fooled and let your budgie starve. This is a common feeding mistake That is why it is so important to feed your budgie daily. Budgies are also hookbills and crack open their seed to eat, so they do NOT need grit as many people believe they do.

You will also need a mineral block and a cuttlebone, which hangs in your budgies cage. These provide minerals and trace elements that your budgie needs, and the cuttlebone also trims your budgies beak. A cement perch also helps in trimming of the toenails. You can offer millet ever so often as a treat. Naturally supply fresh water daily. View more in our feeding and food article.
http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...on/budgies.php

gohar98
01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
He`s soooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

gladTidings
01-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Hes beautiful ♥

LauraS
01-15-2011, 09:18 PM
Do you think you'll get you're own? I have two budgies, they're a pain sometimes but you can't help loving them. :D I've always kept budgies in twos, they like to have other birds to chirp to (although females tend to fight each other). They are easy to look after, but it's nice to let them fly around, not just keep them in the cage. :)

Ummu Sufyaan
01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
the bird escaped and flew away.

LauraS
01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
Oh dear!

I hope it'll be ok. :(

GuestFellow
01-17-2011, 11:32 AM
the bird escaped and flew away.
:wa:

How did it escape? O__o

Ummu Sufyaan
01-17-2011, 12:12 PM
^i hadnt got a proper cage for it yet so i just put fly-screen/window mesh around a milk crate we had (it was the best i could for the time being) but it ate through the mesh and flew its way out.

glo
01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Oh, I hope he'll be okay.

ghost
01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
This is one of the most useless threads I've ever skimmed.

If you want advice on how to take care of a car, you go to a car forum.
If you want advice on how to get heathly, you go to a health forum.
If you want advice on how to take care of a bird, you go to an Islamic forum... wait what?

A quick search on Google will give you all the information you need but no, you must come here and post about it.

Cabdullahi
01-17-2011, 08:38 PM
^relax bro no need to be confrontational,if we all searched up google for all our answers the forum would be empty and that cannot happen we need the ummah to communicate and share ideas.

oh i almost forgot

to the sister:

get the knife out....the pan....sunflower oil....ketchup....2 slices of bread....salt and pepper and ur good to go

Asiyah3
01-17-2011, 08:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ghost

If you want advice on how to take care of a bird, you go to an Islamic forum... wait what?

A quick search on Google will give you all the information you need but no, you must come here and post about it.

Taking care of a bird or any other animal is khair. We are rewarded for it. It is only natural to have this kinda topic in an Islamic forum.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Assalaamu`Alaaykum Brother

The sister chose to ask on the forum for help/advice, there is no harm in that brother but i really do not think saying this thread is "useless" will help in or are beneficial words towards your brothers and sisters in Islaam. Im sure we are aware of what we do and how we do it.

..peace..

Cabdullahi
01-17-2011, 09:19 PM
oh it flew away? oh man!!!

that would have made a mouth watering sandwich

Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2011, 12:41 AM
you're always more than welcome to exit it.

and when you want advise on how to be an idiot, you go to an idiot forum. or ironically you ask brother ghost on LI Islamic forum.

A quick search on Google will give you all the information you need but no, you must come here and post about it
well I've got positive advises so far. so your theory stinks.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!