/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lessons from the snow

Drewy7
01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Today I went out shoveling snow, hoping to help out others. Upon leaving I saw a small bird "dancing" in the snow, I stood and watched it for a minute. I whistled to it and it danced around in circles. It got close and looked directly at me, I was fascinated. I whistled again and it flew away. I started my journey and walked around the roads looking for houses to help shovel. I saw a handful of others doing the same as I. I noticed an older Asian lady shoveling with her husband. She made eye contact with me but I simply walked past. I didn't think much of it at the time.

I continued my journey and came up empty handed around a large portion of my neighborhood. It was getting rather cold and I decided to call it a day. On my way home I noticed another Asian woman shoveling her driveway out. She was my neighbor, she made eye contact with me. I offered to help. It wasn't that long of a job at all, I wasn't even going to ask for payment. I shoveled the driveway and her husband gives me $20. I said thanks and offered more help, he said it was alright and that I could leave. I tell him thank you and have a nice day.

I continue to walk home and then my neighbor's wife comes outside, reaches into her purse, and gives me another $20. I received $40 for doing all but 15-20min of work. I say thanks again, and continue on to my house.

Looking back I wish I had helped the first lady I saw shoveling. Next time it snows I am going to help her out. Little things like this throughout the day can leave an everlasting message.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Really interesting.. :)

Did you know that by doing good to help others can be an act of reward from God, if done especially for His pleasure?

The Messenger of God (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said [meaning]: “He is not one of us who does not show mercy to our young ones and respect our old ones.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1919 [classed as Good/Hasan.]

I also like the fact that you're breaking barriers in society. So everyone can coexist without racism and prejudice.

That's awesome. :) Keep up the good work!

CosmicPathos
01-12-2011, 09:17 PM
oh wow ... just when I thought that I have no time and no energy, while trying to earn enough to stay alive, to go out and help people like that... in seemingly "trivial manners." I guess shaitan has made saving people's lives appear to be worth pursuing but lending them a hand to clean their driveways seemingly trivial and of not making a major difference in the world.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!