/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The title Guru? HELP ASAP please

Aishath
01-15-2011, 10:40 PM
Salaam,

I am doing an essay and one of my textbooks is titled Gurus, Hired guns and Warm bodies. What exactly does Guru mean? It means teacher doesn't it? But then I know some religions consider Guru to have another meaning and I was wondering if me using a book with this title (which btw is about Management, Human Resource and recruitment) means I am committing a sin? It is an essential textbook for my coursework?

I need answers asap please cz it's due in on Monday

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tyrion
01-15-2011, 10:50 PM
How on earth would this be considered a sin? o.o

Aishath
01-15-2011, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
How on earth would this be considered a sin?
Lol I have to say I am a very paranoid person. I don't know. What does that word mean? Is it teacher? I keep seeing things online about how guru is to do with a religion or something. I didn't want to use a book that might have a shirk meaning to it if that makes sense.

Tyrion
01-15-2011, 11:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Lol I have to say I am a very paranoid person. I don't know. What does that word mean? Is it teacher? I keep seeing things online about how guru is to do with a religion or something. I didn't want to use a book that might have a shirk meaning to it if that makes sense.
According to Dictionary.com:
gu·ru   
[goor-oo, goo-roo]
–noun
Hinduism . a preceptor giving personal religious instruction.
an intellectual or spiritual guide or leader.
any person who counsels or advises; mentor: The elder senator was her political guru.
a leader in a particular field: the city's cultural gurus.

Listen, even if it does have religious connotations, that doesn't mean you've committed shirk or anything like that... Try not to worry so much, and just make sure you get an A on that essay. :p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aishath
01-15-2011, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Listen, even if it does have religious connotations... That doesn't mean you've committed shirk or anything like that, so try not to worry so much. Just make sure you get an A on that essay.
Thanks brother :) lol. I guess it's one of those words that can be used in a number of contexts. I dunno why I just suddenly wondered about that. Back to reading again I guess haha

ardianto
01-16-2011, 01:10 PM
Let me teach you Indonesian language lesson.

Guru matematika = math teacher
Guru bahasa Inggris = English teacher
Guru agama Islam = Islamic teacher
Guru mengaji = Qur'an recitation teacher

Guru means teacher in Indonesian/Malaysian language. It's originally from Indian Sanskrit language.

Aishath
01-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Salaam,

Thank you for the replies. If you don't mind me asking one more thing about the essay research... I am watching a DVD called The Corporation since my essay is about business ethics and the DVD was used in lectures as well. The cover of the DVD has a silhouette of a man carrying a briefcase with a halo on top of his head. The halo is being used ironically here as the DVD is about how businessmen can be very unethical. I guess the halo itself has no religious meanings to the DVD. I seem to worry about really trivial matters sometimes :(. I just don't want to use anything that can have a hidden meaning of shirk or anything I guess. I am too paranoid really.

Thank you.

Tyrion
01-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Think of it this way: Islam judges you mostly based on intention. Don't think that you can just commit shirk by accidentally using a DVD about Hindu Gods or anything like that... It just wouldn't make sense. :p If you start thinking of things in the paranoid way you are now, then everything will be connected to shirk in some way or form... I suppose it's good that you're being careful, but try not to become too paranoid.

Good luck on the paper. :p

ardianto
01-17-2011, 02:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Salaam,

Thank you for the replies. If you don't mind me asking one more thing about the essay research... I am watching a DVD called The Corporation since my essay is about business ethics and the DVD was used in lectures as well. The cover of the DVD has a silhouette of a man carrying a briefcase with a halo on top of his head. The halo is being used ironically here as the DVD is about how businessmen can be very unethical. I guess the halo itself has no religious meanings to the DVD. I seem to worry about really trivial matters sometimes :(. I just don't want to use anything that can have a hidden meaning of shirk or anything I guess. I am too paranoid really.

Thank you.
Salam,

The halo is used in the DVD cover because halo has religious meaning. That picture is drawn to show irony -also reality- in business. How people who look religious and always talk about business ethic at the front of public make many unethical business actions behind the public. That's why we need strong Iman to prevent us become people like them when we are in business.

But I agree with brother Tyrion. Use title Guru in this case is not shirk.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!