/* */

PDA

View Full Version : i found a slug

ghost
01-17-2011, 09:11 PM
how do i take care of it? is it halal to eat?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Asiyah3
01-17-2011, 09:36 PM
:sl:

The best thing would be to take it outside where it naturally lives. As for eating it, you won't get full by one slug.

Asiyah3
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
p.s. to understand the importance of taking good care of animals, check the following taken from an article:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whilst a man was walking on the road, he became very thirsty. He found a well so he went down into it and drank, then he came out. There he saw a dog that was panting and biting the ground out of thirst. The man said: this dog is feeling the same thirst that I felt. So he went back down into the well and filled his shoe with water, then he held it in his mouth until he climbed back up, and he gave the water to the dog. Allaah appreciated (his action) and forgave him.” They said: O Messenger of Allaah, will we have reward with regard to these animals? He said: “In every living thing there is reward.”

Look at how the believer will be rewarded for taking care of animals; rather he may even enter Paradise because of his kind treatment of a single animal, as happened to the man mentioned in this hadeeth. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, loves those who do good.

Source

Cabdullahi
01-17-2011, 09:51 PM
get the knife out....the pan....sunflower oil....ketchup....2 slices of bread....salt and pepper and ur good to go

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
01-17-2011, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ghost
how old are you?

go get some real food

GuestFellow
01-17-2011, 09:59 PM
I assume you are making fun of the ''I found a bird'' topic.

LauraS
01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't think you're being serious because that's just strange, but someone in Australia ate a slug before as a dare, contracted a disease and died.

I got a baby slug in my hair before! I tried to put it on a tissue and take it back outside, I don't know if it survived lol.

Cabdullahi
01-17-2011, 10:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS

I got a baby slug in my hair before! I tried to put it on a tissue and take it back outside, I don't know if it survived lol.
baby slug or fat baby louse?

S.Belle
01-17-2011, 10:02 PM
how do i take care of it?
slugs <3 salt

im jking just leave it be and dont eat it u may get sick

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Assalaamu `Alaaykum

I think you should put the slug back outside, and let it be free. why would you pick a slug up anyway?

Plus if you did try eating it you may break your teeth as the shell is hard. I think if you likes slugs you should get something that tastes like it like noodles or something.

However, there are many people out there who eats slugs and the like. . . but im not sure if its Halaal.

..peace..

Perseveranze
01-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Lol, love these forums...

highway4
01-18-2011, 02:34 AM
assalamu alaikum,
Some people in different countries around the globe find snails and slugs a delicace...

Snails and slugs are of two types: one is Sea type other is the land type...

Sea snails are halal to eat:

“Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water game and its use for food — for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel”
[al-Maa’idah 5:96]

al-Bukhaari narrated from Shurayh, the companion of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), that he said: “Everything in the sea is madhbooh (slaughtered).”

Majority of scholars have ruled Land snails and slugs Haram as they come under the categorie of "insects and vermon"

while the minority have said it is halal because it comes under the same rulings as locusts...

To what i understand they have based their rulings on what type of creature it is and slaughtering.

Personally i would put the creature back to its natural habitat and find a more suitable alternative to eat

Mind you slugs could be full of Protein...

Ramadhan
01-18-2011, 03:38 AM
in my home town, we cook sea slugs into a very tasty delicacy called "teripang". the more edible name for sea slugs is of course "sea cucumber".

Maryan0
01-18-2011, 04:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
in my home town, we cook sea slugs into a very tasty delicacy called "teripang". the more edible name for sea slugs is of course "sea cucumber".
What do they taste like? I heard slugs taste like peanut butter... :hmm:
Salam

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-18-2011, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I assume you are making fun of the ''I found a bird'' topic.
I second that.

Ramadhan
01-18-2011, 05:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
What do they taste like? I heard slugs taste like peanut butter...
Salam
Actually here it is cleaned, seasoned and dried, and deep fried. the taste is savoury, nothing like peanut butter.
Maybe there are other preparations that make it taste like peanut butter.

Hayaa
01-18-2011, 06:40 AM
I admire your courage to touch it let alone think of eating it. Either that or this is a joke in disguise.:muddlehea:skeleton::skeleton:

Ramadhan
01-18-2011, 07:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hayaa
I admire your courage to touch it let alone think of eating it. Either that or this is a joke in disguise.

lol,

I wished it was a joke to counter the ridiculousness (and mean-spiritedness) of this thread.
But really, we do eat them here in some parts of indonesia, especially east java. I don't cook them myself though. They are sold in some specialty stores.
And I see them all the time live whenever I am diving. They DO look disgusting and feel disgusting to touch as well.

Here it looks like live:

and here when it's cleaned and ready to be processed:

ardianto
01-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Chinese also eat "teripang". They call it "haisom".

nature
01-18-2011, 09:05 AM
LOL! this thread's imature, but funny, & its put my off my breakfast! to the OP, get urself a burger, it tastes better.! Ive stepped on many slugs in my time, and then spent half hour, wiping my shoe. why would you wana eat one ?

format_quote Originally Posted by LauraS
how can you get 1 in your hair ?:hmm:

nature
01-18-2011, 09:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Chinese eat anything and everything...these look massive, UK slugs aint that big..!!!!

Ramadhan
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature
Chinese eat anything and everything...these look massive, UK slugs aint that big..!!!!
those are sea slugs, not land slugs.

But true, non-muslims chinese eat anything and evertyhing.
(I emphasise the word "non-muslim" because china has pretty big muslim populations, around 30 millions plus I think)

Maryan0
01-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Actually here it is cleaned, seasoned and dried, and deep fried. the taste is savoury, nothing like peanut butter.
Maybe there are other preparations that make it taste like peanut butter.
Actually I think it was grubs that are said to taste like peanut butter. I saw people eating them on the discovery channel.
Salam

GuestFellow
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM

@ naidamar

I don't think I could eat that...it looks diseased. +o(

ApakalypsE
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Grub worms are actually tasty more of a flavor like a nut,have also eaten grasshoppers and locustss as well.I had to eat them for survival traaining in the army.I am glad i got out in 1998.Even before I reverted to Islam I was not a supporter of these wars.I love freedom but freedom at the price of someones elses opression is tyranny and no real freedom at al.Asallaam Alaykum

LauraS
01-18-2011, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature

how can you get 1 in your hair ?:hmm:
We were playing a game in a wood during the night and I was hiding down this bank and apparently ther were a lot of slugs about because one of them got onto me coat sleeve too. Then when we got back inside I noticed one in my hair. :p

ardianto
01-18-2011, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by highway4
assalamu alaikum,
Some people in different countries around the globe find snails and slugs a delicace...

Snails and slugs are of two types: one is Sea type other is the land type...

Sea snails are halal to eat:

“Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water game and its use for food — for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel”
[al-Maa’idah 5:96]

al-Bukhaari narrated from Shurayh, the companion of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), that he said: “Everything in the sea is madhbooh (slaughtered).”

Majority of scholars have ruled Land snails and slugs Haram as they come under the categorie of "insects and vermon"

while the minority have said it is halal because it comes under the same rulings as locusts...

To what i understand they have based their rulings on what type of creature it is and slaughtering.

Personally i would put the creature back to its natural habitat and find a more suitable alternative to eat

Mind you slugs could be full of Protein...
Wa' alaikumsalam

I never ate land snail because Ulama in my place forbid it. But sometime I ate "tutut", small water snail that live in rice fields, and Ulama never forbid.

Need toothpick to take the "tutut" meat out.

LauraS
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
What makes it worse is the green sauce... :x

S.Belle
01-18-2011, 06:41 PM
so that means octopus and squid are halal right...someone told me they were not.

S.Belle
01-18-2011, 08:41 PM
hey i found a slug too!!!
He was chillaxing on my patio hehe i named him Salv the Slug :P
i know pics blurry but its cold outside so i just snapped and hoped for the best

ghost
01-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Hey, this is my thread about my slug, go away, make your own thread!

S.Belle
01-18-2011, 09:02 PM

ROFL

Maryan0
01-18-2011, 09:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila

so that means octopus and squid are halal right...someone told me they were not.
It depends on what school of thought you follow
Salam

Ramadhan
01-19-2011, 01:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
If you follow strictly imam abu hanifa's position, then they are makrooh, but the other three imams (syafii, ahmad malik, hambal) said they are halal.

Here's fatwa from islamqa:

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/1919/crab

Are there any types of seafood that Muslims are not permitted to eat?
Please forgive me for my ignorance in this matter. I am very interested in learning the ways of Islam. My question concerns dietary rulings. What types of fish and seafood are permissible?
Thank you for your help.

Praise be to Allaah.

Among the blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon us is the fact that He has made our religion easy for us, and has not made it too difficult or unbearable. He has allowed us many things that were forbidden according to previously-revealed laws. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… Allaah intends for you ease, and He does not want to make things difficult for you…” [al-Baqarah 2:185].

Hence all kinds of food from the sea are permissible, whether they are plants or animals, alive or dead. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel…” [al-Maa’idah 5:96]. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: “ Sayduhu (lit. hunting, pursuit) refers to whatever is taken from it alive, and ta’aamuhu (lit. its food) means whatever is taken dead.”

There are a few things – certain types of water animals – which some scholars exclude from the permission outlined above. These are:

Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.

Some scholars exclude sea snakes, but the correct view is that as they live nowhere except in the water, we are permitted to eat them, because of the general nature of the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “Lawful to you is (the pursuit of) water-game and its use for food – for the benefit of yourselves …” [al-Maa’idah 5:96].

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.

Everything that can cause harm is forbidden as food, even if it comes from the sea, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allaah is Most Merciful to you.” [al-Nisa’ 4:29] and: “… and do not throw yourselves into destruction…” [al-Baqarah 2:195].

(See al-Mughni, 11/83; Haashiyah al-Rawd, 7/430; Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 3/197; and Ahkaam al-At’imah by al-Fawzaan).

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

ardianto
01-19-2011, 02:03 AM
So, what is your slug name ?.

sherz_umr
01-19-2011, 04:16 AM
i ws just wondering..isnt it enough to eat vegetables,fruits,fish that looks like fish(meaning not dolphins,sharks,whales and such),chicken,mutton and beef? Human beings are killing and eating so many animals..isnt that enough?
Just my opinion..

Amoeba
01-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Crocodiles. The correct view is that eating these is not allowed, because they have fangs and live on land – even though they may spend a lot of time in the water – so precedence should be given to the reason for forbidding it (it is a land animal that has fangs).

Otters and turtles. The correct view is that to be on the safe side, it is permissible to eat them after slaughtering them properly, because they live both on land and in the sea. Here the rule is that in the case of animals that live both on land and in the sea, the rules concerning land animals should be given precedence, to be on the safe side, so they must be slaughtered properly, except for crabs which do not need to be slaughtered, even though they live both on land and in the sea, because they do not have blood.
Um, sorry to go off-topic but I'm confused about this. Otters have sharp pointy canines (some would say fangs) and live on land as well as the water, how does this make them different from crocodiles on this issue?

Ramadhan
01-19-2011, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Um, sorry to go off-topic but I'm confused about this. Otters have sharp pointy canines (some would say fangs) and live on land as well as the water, how does this make them different from crocodiles on this issue?
you are correct.

Maybe it's because crocodiles are reptiles and have fangs, while otters are mammals.
Snakes, which are reptiles and have fangs are also haraam to eat.
Or maybe because crocodiles are very savage animals (there is a hadith that says savage animals are forbidden to eat) that would kill and eat humans given opportunity, while otters are not savage.
or maybe it's a combination of all those things.

Ra_bia
01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Why would you even consider eating a slug! Its better you leave it in its natural habitat. Leaving it in your lawn would be more convenient.

S.Belle
01-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Frogs. It is not permitted to eat them because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade killing them, as is reported in the hadeeth of ‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Uthmaan, who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the killing of frogs. (Narrated by Imaam Ahmad and Ibn Maajah; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6970). The rule is that everything which we are forbidden to kill, we are not allowed to eat; if we are allowed to eat it we are allowed to kill it.
OH goodness i have eaten this b4...very yummy

nature
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

there huuggge! Ugh, they look minging.

those are sea slugs, not land slugs.
Oh ok, i wasnt aware the sea had slugs ? you learn sumthing new ever day

highway4
01-20-2011, 01:15 AM
I dont think there is an animal left that a human being has not tried.. not even the armed and the dangerous..
You could also go as far as even people eating humans...Yuk
LOL

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!