/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it permissible to take jobseeker's allowance if you're jobless?

Amoeba
01-18-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm asking because I don't think it's halal income, but at the same time there are no other options for income until I finally find work and savings are almost used up.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nature
01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
:sl:

If you've got a genuine need for it, and are using it as a short term thing, then i dont see anything wrong with it. When you find work, you'll be paying taxes, so its not like your scrounging off the government which is what most people do, as long as you dont become dependant on it & become lazy, then its ok. Wat field do you wana work in ?

Also if you register with a jobcentre, they'll help you find jobs, and arrange interviews for you and really help you in getting something. Try registering with agencies, maybe they can find you something ?

:wa:

Amoeba
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Anything at this point that isn't haraam I'll take it, though I am not a very competent worker and that is part of my problem. It's not that I'm not willing to work, it's that I often make mistakes even if I've been corrected many times because I forget things very quickly. I was tested by a psychologist and he thinks it's connected to my discalculia and said my test showed very poor working memory and short-term memory and difficulty putting short-term memory into long-term. On top of that I have no experience, no positive references (only negative ones), no skills and no qualifications that are of any use in the workplace. So... my job prospects look grim.

I have registered before I entered Islam and it wasn't very good. It's actually not true that they will set you up with job interviews. Actually they don't offer much help at all. They only ask what you've been doing to find work and then look up a couple of jobs for you to apply to there and then over a five minute session, but most of the time you never hear back about a job after applying anyway. It used to be that if you chased up your application for a job (phone up and ask how your application is going) it would make you sound more keen and increase your chances of getting the job, but nowadays all you get is an angry response like "DON'T call us back, WE will call YOU back" (they never do).

I think it has to do with me living in an area with far more people than there are jobs, unemployment is quite high now and employers are also getting more picky when there is a position open. It's been a long time now since I've found a job vacancy that doesn't require experience. The Job Centre is overrun with unemployed people and they don't have a lot of time for us because they're trying to help us all equally.

Revert 2010
01-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Salaam sister, my advice would be to try and volunteer first and maybe gain experience that way. Maybe start thinking about something you enjoy and see how that relates to a career and maybe go back to studying. Lots of colleges help people with your affliction and they will give you extra time in exams and really try to help. Maybe register with an agency and look for a job that way, Allah is great, never give up sister. If your not as good at exams then maybe do courses which are more coursework based to gain qualifications. InSha'Allah everything will work out, I know it's difficult but have an idea of what you want to do and go for it. Hope this helps sister : )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
nature
01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
often make mistakes even if I've been corrected many times because I forget things very quickly
Have you tried writing things down ? keep a notebook handy. Many people have this problem, dont let it deter you from job hunting. What field do you wana work in ? What about something that doesnt require you to remember things such as working in a sales department ? or wat about telesales ? most of them places, you jus read off things. Do you like children ? what about working in a nursery ? You could also consider some apprentiship scheme ?

If you dont have any qualifications, and have an interest in a particular field, the jobcentre can put you on these courses, for free. you'll get a qualification and hopefully be able to progress to a job. also volunteering is another option ? Try and get involved in community projects.

format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Actually they don't offer much help at all.
Unemployment is on the high, but ive always had postive experience wen i was searching years back. maybe things have changed ? Wat part of UK you from ? If you look on the jobcentre website for your area, they upload new jobs every day, so its worth keeping an eye out.

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!