/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 9th Circuit Court of Appeals Rules Mount Soledad Cross Unconstitutional

Woodrow
01-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Just putting this up for any comments pro or con.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals today overturned a 2008 ruling by a U.S. federal judge which found the cross could stand.
By Margie M. Palmer | Email the author | January 4, 2011
Add a comment (44 comments )

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals today ruled La Jolla's famous Mount Soledad cross to be in violation of the establishment clause of the Constitution.

According to its opinion, the 9th Circuit found that "in adopting the First Amendment, the Founders were prescient in recognizing that, without eschewing religion, neither can the government be seen as favoring one religion over another. The balance is subtle but fundamental to our freedom of religion."
SOURCE

I have some what mixed feelings about this. I am in favor of it because it shows the promotion of a religion others may not agree with is illegal. The USA claims to be fre from any influence by any religious group. To prove that claim it must not allow any public approval of a faith.

I am against it because it does hinder a person's right to display their love of what they believe.

To allow this action leaves the doors open to proclaim any symbol of religion illegal. That may not be a good thing.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pygoscelis
01-18-2011, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I am against it because it does hinder a person's right to display their love of what they believe.
Only if they are speaking for the government. This only applies to public land and public employees and representatives as far as I know. That is how I would have it and I think that is how it is. Nobody is going to stop the same Chrsitian person from erecting such a cross in his own back yard or from wearing relgious garb, etc. At least I hope not. If they do, that is a violation of the constitution of the US in itself.

To allow this action leaves the doors open to proclaim any symbol of religion illegal.
Disagree

The separation of church and state is vital to free society, in my opinion. And in the US it is where you muslims and us atheists can ally (against the fundamentalist christians who wish a christian theocracy). And this secularism is actually the best enabler of freedom of religion. You can't have freedom of religion without freedom from the other guy's religion. You can't follow Islam if you are forced to adhere to Christianity, and vice versa.

Amira_Zelda
01-19-2011, 03:38 AM
i agree.. although i have never heard of a christian theocracy.. o_O that will never happen in the US.. the governments of this world are not perfect by default and sometimes i can even say, they are evil. "holy+ evil" does not mix.... so it wouldn't even be successful...

Dahir
01-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I disagree for many of the reasons as stated by Brother Woodrow.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!