/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Purifying money mixed with interest

Argamemnon
01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Selam dear brothers and sisters,

I could not post this question in a similar thread in this section (I don't know why?). So here is the question; I have some money mixed with some interest (from years ago) and I want to purify my money and then give zakah. Is it ok to give some money to the poor to purify my money?

I was on vacation in Turkey in the past few weeks and a Turkish brother there told me that if my money is haram (mixed with interest) even my 5 daily prayers (salat) might be in vain! I want to purify my money as soon as possible.

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Argamemnon
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
I thought it was a simple question.

Argamemnon
01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Brother Abdul-Raouf has asked a similar question in this section and for some reason he got no answer either.

Hamza Asadullah
01-20-2011, 12:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
Selam dear brothers and sisters,

I could not post this question in a similar thread in this section (I don't know why?). So here is the question; I have some money mixed with some interest (from years ago) and I want to purify my money and then give zakah. Is it ok to give some money to the poor to purify my money?

I was on vacation in Turkey in the past few weeks and a Turkish brother there told me that if my money is haram (mixed with interest) even my 5 daily prayers (salat) might be in vain! I want to purify my money as soon as possible.

:wa:
Asalaamu Alaikum, Firstly may i ask how did your money end up being mixed with interest? Secondly is it possible to establish exactly how much of the money was interest?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Argamemnon
01-20-2011, 01:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, Firstly may i ask how did your money end up being mixed with interest? Secondly is it possible to establish exactly how much of the money was interest?
ve aleykum selam,

because i had a bank account of course -- i think i'm able to determine the amount of interest, but the question is to whom i should give it. can I give it to my father who has a debt? or do i have to give it to the poor? i'm sorry my initial question wasn't very clear..

Hamza Asadullah
01-20-2011, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
ve aleykum selam,

because i had a bank account of course -- i think i'm able to determine the amount of interest, but the question is to whom i should give it. can I give it to my father who has a debt? or do i have to give it to the poor? i'm sorry my initial question wasn't very clear..
Asalaamu Alaikum, Interest monies must be given to the poor and needy who are eligible to accept Zakaat without the intention of reward. However, interest received from government institutes, eg. post office could be used to offset government taxes. Interest received from private banks cannot be used to offset taxes. It may be used to offset interest charged from the same bank.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Source:http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...4e8b8319b2821a

Therefore calculate the exact amount of interest you earned and give that away to the poor and needy who are eligable for Zakaat. In future if you can change to an account which does not earn you interest then that would be far better inshallah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Argamemnon
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, Interest monies must be given to the poor and needy who are eligible to accept Zakaat without the intention of reward. However, interest received from government institutes, eg. post office could be used to offset government taxes. Interest received from private banks cannot be used to offset taxes. It may be used to offset interest charged from the same bank.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Source:http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...4e8b8319b2821a

Therefore calculate the exact amount of interest you earned and give that away to the poor and needy who are eligable for Zakaat. In future if you can change to an account which does not earn you interest then that would be far better inshallah.

And Allah knows best in all matters
thanks bro, i'll give it to the needy then

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!