/* */

PDA

View Full Version : question

roohani.doctor
01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Salam,

A non-muslim friend recently asked me the following question, I was hoping some one could give me a proper answer.

The question was:

Muslims say all babies are born pure and without sin, but was it not Adam (PBUH) who committed a sin (i.e. apple etc) and therefore all people born after that have to ask for forgiveness/are liable to commit sins because of Adam's PBUH mistake? Is this not similar to the concept of Original Sin? I am not saying that babies are born with sins but that was it not for Prophet Adam's mistake, we wouldn't be in this position and would instead be in heaven.

How would I explain to a Christian that Islam does not believe in the concept of original sin?

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Islam and was hoping some one could please either answer this properly or perhaps direct me to a site where a question such as this has been address. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Wasalam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
01-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Wa'alaikum Assalam

We do not affiliate Islam nor believe in the ideology of original sin.

Before Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala created Adam 'alahisalaam, He said to the angels:

Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." [2:30]

It is clear by this ayah that Allah intended for us to live on earth anyway, it had nothing to do with the sin.

And after Adam committed the sin, Allah forgave him and descended him down to earth in a dignified manner, and not as a form of punishment.

Allah already knew that Adam would commit the sin and that this was something that would help prepare him for his life on earth where he would be trialed with shaitan and desires. It allowed him to experience first hand to which degree his weaknesses are, what sin really is and, how shaytan is his enemy to him. It also allowed him to feel shame and repentance.

[...] And whatever [wrong] any human being commits rests upon himself alone; and no bearer of burdens shall be made to bear another's burden. And, in time, unto your Sustainer you all must return: and then He will make you. [truly] understand all that on which you were wont to differ. [6:164]

So whoever does an atom’s weight of good will see it and whoever does an atom’s weight of evil will see it. [7:8]

Each person is accountable for his or her own actions. It wouldn't make sense if we were accountable for the actions of others because that is something beyond our control and would not make sense since we are all related to eachother to a degree.

Some other things to ponder about original sin in general is why would an innocent baby who had never committed any crimes or harmed anyone be considered sinful? And how does one cleanse himself from orignal sin, I've been told by nonMuslims that through baptism this can be accomplished, however what happens to the still born babies who are born dead? Then I am told that Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins. Ok so then what is the point of living on earth if we're already cleansed of sins? what is the point of doing good deeds or having morals if we're already cleansed of our sins? The concept of original sin does not make sense nor does it add up. I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Inshallah that explains it better? (:

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Ummu Sufyaan
01-19-2011, 06:23 AM
:sl:
you should ask her why she believes we inheirt adam alyhi sallam's sin?

secondly, didn't adam 3alyhisallam repent? so if anything, we should be inheriting his repentance and be forgiven?

give her examples of the righteous people whose family members weren't Muslims this will show that piety is not inherited.

aadil77
01-19-2011, 11:28 AM
tell them in islam its every man for himself, no one is liable for anyone elses sins

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
01-20-2011, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by londonfog
Salam,

A non-muslim friend recently asked me the following question, I was hoping some one could give me a proper answer.

The question was:

Muslims say all babies are born pure and without sin, but was it not Adam (PBUH) who committed a sin (i.e. apple etc) and therefore all people born after that have to ask for forgiveness/are liable to commit sins because of Adam's PBUH mistake? Is this not similar to the concept of Original Sin? I am not saying that babies are born with sins but that was it not for Prophet Adam's mistake, we wouldn't be in this position and would instead be in heaven.

How would I explain to a Christian that Islam does not believe in the concept of original sin?

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to Islam and was hoping some one could please either answer this properly or perhaps direct me to a site where a question such as this has been address. I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Wasalam.
Asalaamu Alaikum, read the following and you will be able to refute any absurd argument about the blood atonement of Christ:

The concept of original sin is completely foreign to Judaism and Eastern Christianity, having achieved acceptance in only the Western Church. Furthermore, Christian and Islamic concepts of sin are virtual opposites with respect to certain nuances. For example, there is no concept of “sinning in the mind” in Islam; to a Muslim, an evil thought becomes a good deed when a person refuses to act upon it. Overcoming and dismissing the evil thoughts which forever assail our minds is considered deserving of reward rather than punishment. Islamicly speaking, an evil thought only becomes sinful when acted upon.

Conceiving good deeds is more contrary to the base nature of man. Since our creation, if not bound by societal or religious restrictions, humankind has historically dined on the banquet of life with lust and abandon. The orgies of self-indulgence that have carpeted the corridors of history envelop not only individuals and small communities, but even major world powers which ate their fill of deviancy to the point of self-destruction. Sodom and Gomorrah may top most lists, but the greatest powers of the ancient world—to include the Greek, Roman and Persian empires, as well as those of Genghis Khan and Alexander the Great—certainly bear dishonorable mention. But while examples of communal decadence are innumerable, cases of individual corruption are exponentially more common.

So, good thoughts are not always the first instinct of humankind. As such, the Islamic understanding is that the very conception of good deeds is worthy of reward, even if not acted upon. When a person actually acts upon a good thought, Allah multiplies the reward even further.

The concept of original sin simply does not exist in Islam, and never has. For the Christian readers, the question is not whether the concept of original sin exists in present day, but whether it existed during the period of Christian origins. Specifically, did Jesus teach it?

Apparently not. Whoever dreamt up the concept, it certainly wasn’t Jesus, for he reportedly taught,

“Let the little children come to me, and do not forbid them, for of such is the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 19:14)

We may well wonder how “for of such” could be “the kingdom of heaven” if the unbaptized are hell‑bound. Children are either born with original sin or are bound for the kingdom of heaven. The church can’t have it both ways. Ezekiel 18:20 records,

“The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.”

Deuteronomy 24:16 repeats the point. The objection may be raised that this is Old Testament, but it’s not older than Adam! If original sin dated from Adam and Eve, one wouldn’t find it disavowed in any scripture of any age!

Islam teaches that each person is born in a state of spiritual purity, but upbringing and the allure of worldly pleasures may corrupt us. Nonetheless, sins are not inherited and, for that matter, not even Adam and Eve will be punished for their sins, for God has forgiven them. And how can humankind inherit something that no longer exists? No, Islamicly speaking, all of us will be judged according to our deeds, for

“…man can have nothing but what he strives for” (Quran 53:38–39)
…and

“Who receives guidance, receives it for his own benefit: who goes astray does so to his own loss: no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another ...” (Quran 17:15)

Each person will bear responsibility for his or her actions, but no infant goes to hell for being unbaptized and burdened with sin as a birthright—or should we say a birthwrong?

Christians believe that everyone is born a sinner. Everyone is born condemned and the only way to redeem yourself is that you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Is that really fair? I mean you are born condemned from the beginning. So even a poor innocent baby that is newly born is a sinner. If that baby does not redeem itself by putting its faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and dies then the poor baby is condemned to hell. How can you expect a baby that cannot comprehend or think to accept Jesus as its Lord? What if the poor baby dies before it grows up to become able to rationalize and accept a religion. What about a mentally retarded person that cannot think for him self? He is a sinner by nature and will be doomed to Hell for not recognizing Jesus as Lord and Savior simply because his mind cannot!

Unlike Islam, which is a just religion does not teach original sin. Islam teaches that everyone is born pure and it is us who corrupt our selves. Islam gives the Muslims time to grow up and be able to use our rationality and reason in order to choose a religion.

This time is the age of puberty.

Puberty is the age when people begin to use their reason and distinguish between what is right and wrong.

10-12 years of age marks the phase of reasoning (ratiocination) with a sense of critic to the instinctive activities and reflexive activities.

What about the madman? Is he also a sinner? According to original sin he is. How can God condemn a madman who cannot use his reason and be able to make a rational decision? Truly this is unjust. Islam does not hold these kind of people accountable.

Islam does not teach that we are born condemned sinners. It does not place the blame on Adam and Eve. Adam and Eve were the first humans to sin. We are supposed to learn that it is human nature to sin and that the devil is going to try and trick us into committing sin just like how he did with our fore parents. Then after we sin we do like our fore parents did and then turn to God in sincere repentance. So this is a lesson of original forgiveness and not original sin. If we sin, then it is our fault and not our fore parents fault. God does not create us as sinners. He creates us pure and then it is us who sin and make our selves impure.

Sources:

http://www.answering-christianity.co...n_in_islam.htm

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1776/

Read more here: http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/12/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!