/* */

PDA

View Full Version : On Union in the Afterlife in our Pursuit of Enlightenment

Enlightenment
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, and I hope this will be an avenue to achieve some degree of advancement in my personal - and if possible, in the process, others' - pursuit of enlightenment.

One of the questions that I have been reflecting on in recent times is: why did Allah create two genders? Why did Allah create pairs of everything - from creatures, to indeed protons and electrons?

Thinking along these lines led me to a question of a more personal nature. Marriage or union of two human beings is seen as a wonderful thing in Islam. I have found myself asking, though - what is the purpose of union? Is it just the wonders that are apparent (which are not paltry by any means) - or is there a greater purpose?

As a human being, I have noticed how a man and a woman thinks differently. And I always thought that in union, as one, two people can understand the universe in a more holistic manner. And this is then when I came to this final part of my reflections - not receiving any hints from any particular ayaahs - but purely out of questioning myself: is it possible that humans are meant to become one in the afterlife.

The fact that the righteous will be reunited with their partners in the afterlife is well established among believers. And then, if the purpose is to get closer to Allah for an infinite period of time - is it possible that these two people will be continually moving towards a convergence of souls, whereby you truly become one whole human being, that can better understand, and thereby worship, Allah for all His qualities and splendor?

If anyone has thought along these lines, I would love to get some insight. As you can see, my personal reflection has not been accompanied by a whole lot of research, so I am looking forward to get some substantial insight from any member who would kindly consent to putting some thought into it.

Hoping for a fruitful journey of learning in this forum.

Salaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
selsebil
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
Quran says:
" And (have We not) created you in pairs," 78/8 that means "We have made you as couples, loving and close to one another. ".This is the basis of human life and society.The love between husband and wife and their mercy for their children.Otherwise human society would be like animal life.
The authentic and extremely intense relationship, love, and affection between men and women does not arise only from the needs of worldly life. Yes, a woman is not only a companion to her husband in this worldly life, she is his companion also in eternal life. As a consequence of the mystery of belief, her believing husband’s relations with her are not confined to this worldly life and his love is not only animal and temporary, during the time of her beauty; he holds true, earnest love and respect for her in regard to her being his companion in eternal life.

Sigma
01-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Jazakallah nice first post

Enlightenment
02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Thank you for your replies. I find myself pondering more about the Why rather than the What.

I understand that things were created in pairs. If we have indeed been created in pairs, why were we created in pairs? What is the purpose of union among humans? Is it purely for enjoyment, or is this also a means to enlightenment?

Thank you for your valuable insights.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AslamP
04-18-2011, 07:59 AM
I really never pondered in that same effect why things were created in pairs by Allah, I guess I like it and just thanked Him for it. Nice to have a partner in life that you can struggle with and love. Thank you, God! Welcome to the forum.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!