/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Clothing

Hannah.
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
:sl:

Is wearing the Jilbab compulsory for women? I live in the UK where its not that common to wear it, so I usually wear clothes double the sizes I actually am.. but I'm still wondering whether this is sufficient or not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Assalaamu `Alaaykum

i would say it is good to wear the Jilbaab as it is more modest looking than wearing some loose trousers and loose shirt, but thats just my opinion. It would make others see you more as a muslimah insha`Allaah. Something that covers you where the shape of the body is not seen is better, and that is one of the reasons the Jilbaab is for. but hope that someone knowledgeable can answer this insha`Allaah

peace..

Hamza Asadullah
01-21-2011, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Believe.x
:sl:

Is wearing the Jilbab compulsory for women? I live in the UK where its not that common to wear it, so I usually wear clothes double the sizes I actually am.. but I'm still wondering whether this is sufficient or not?
Asalaamu Alaikum, It depends which part of the UK you are from. If you are in a predominantley white area then obviously you will not see very many Muslims but in Muslim areas you will see many sisters wearing jilbaab aswell as the veil.

According to Sheikh Mufti M

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

Allah Most High says:

'O Prophet! Tell your wives and daughters and believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their persons. That is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Most Forgiving and Most Merciful'. (Surah al-Ahzab, 59).

The above verse is clear in determining that it is obligatory (fard) upon a woman to cover herself with a jilbab. This leaves us with a question, what is a jilbab?

It is stated in Lisan al-Arab:

'Jilbab, plural of Jalabib: an outer garment or a cloak with it a woman covers her head and chest. And it is said: It is a long cloak that covers a woman completely'. (Ibn Manzur, Lisan al-Arab, 2/317).

Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) states:

'Jilbab is long cloak that covers a woman from her head to her feet'. (Ruh al-Ma'ani, 22/88).

The above and other interpretations of Jilbab are clear that a jilbab is the outer garment that women must wear when emerging in front of strangers. This garment must be wide, loose, and modest and covers the body completely.

After the revelation of this verse, many female Companions (Allah be pleased with them all) used to emerge outside their homes with complete reticence as though birds were sitting on their heads. They used to cover themselves with long black cloaks. (See: Ruh al-Ma'ani, 22/89).

Therefore, a woman must cover her self with a loose and modest cloak when emerging in front of strangers. This may be a tradition veil (burqa) or some other garment.

Source: http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?id=1909

Jilbab is one of the best forms of modest dress, so, of course, you should wear it. If you are feeling apprehensive about wearing jilbab out in public, then be aware that your hijab already sets you apart. So, alhamdulillah, you already have the courage to obey Allah and wear your hijab with dignity. Putting on jilbab is simply another step.

The problem with other forms of loose clothing is that it can hug onto the body and reveal the shape and definition of the body which is contrary to the purpose of covering oneself. Jilbabs are very elegant garments. So don't worry about what people think. You may even find yourself receiving compliments; the modest dress of Muslim women is both feminine and dignified, and even some non-Muslims appreciate this.

I myself have come across non Muslims telling me why are their Muslim women who cover their heads yet wear so much makeup and dress wearing tight jeans and tops. This goes against the purpose of covering oneself so one should not fall into this trap of shaythan like many of our sisters have fallen into.

So ask Allah for strength, don't make it more difficult than it should be, and ignore the naysayers, whether they are Muslim or non-Muslim. You do what you need to do for your deen and to please Allah. You will stand alone on the day of judgement facing Allah. No one is going to be there with you holding your hand. So do what is best for you and that is to wear the proper jilbaab.

Also ry to find other Muslimahs who are doing the same because a social network is also important. If you can't then be proud of representing Islam and being looked at as a Muslim women. If Allah is happy with you then who cares what others think?

Non Muslims looking at you in jilbaab and hijaab may even encourage them to look into Islam and it may be a source of guidance to them inshallah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Amoeba
01-21-2011, 07:40 AM
What if it's a safety concern, such as if you live in an area that you fear being attacked in the street for being identified as muslim? I see pretty much no muslims in my general area, I've been harassed and threatened and occasionally had things like broken bottles thrown at me because of my face and I wasn't even identified as muslim, I hate to think how worse it might get if I do. In such cases I'd imagine wearing jibab would be a safety issue because there's a risk of tripping over it while fleeing from danger.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
01-21-2011, 08:56 AM
you can wear any long, loose clothes, the same way russian and chechnyan women do

doesn't necessarily have to be a completely blacked out arab style jilbab

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-21-2011, 03:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
What if it's a safety concern, such as if you live in an area that you fear being attacked in the street for being identified as muslim? I see pretty much no muslims in my general area, I've been harassed and threatened and occasionally had things like broken bottles thrown at me because of my face and I wasn't even identified as muslim, I hate to think how worse it might get if I do. In such cases I'd imagine wearing jibab would be a safety issue because there's a risk of tripping over it while fleeing from danger.
Assalaamu`Alaaykum uktee

If thats the case then loose clothing would be best for someone in such a situation. as long as its loose, long and doesnt show the shape of the body, basically something that covers one, Insha`Allaah.

I agree with brother Aadil77 it doesnt have to be an arab style jilbab, it can be something long and loose and that which covers the shape of the body and shouldnt attract the attention of the opposite gender etc
Basically do as much as you can sis as ive been told that you cant do more than that.

may Allaah protect you from the danger of the environment and those who are in the same situations and keep you and them strong in Emaan Ameen

peace

Hannah.
01-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Jazak'Allah for the beneficial posts brothers and sisters.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!