/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Allah the Father?

Saad17
01-21-2011, 07:45 AM
Assalam-O-Alaikum

I was wondering about the attribute "The Father" ,that did Allah instruct the Children of Israel to call Him with this attribute and themselves as His children (NOT-Begotten). I was watching Dr.Zakir Naik on youtube where he said something that caught my attention.

watch?v=0S_A9ERJWN0
^
5:20

Dr.Zakir Naik says that Allah has purposefully missed out "Ab" (Father) as an attribute out of His 99 beautiful attributes and replaced it with a more complicated yet powerful attribute "Raab" (Cherisher/Sustainer or translated as "Lord") and Allah did this because the attribute was being misunderstood and secondly it gave Allah a gender which He doesn't have. So is it true? Do we have any Islamic text point toward this conclusion or is it just Dr.Zakir Naik's theory based on the Bible ? Though surfing the Internet did me no good so can anyone help me here?

Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Walaykum as Salaam

format_quote Originally Posted by Saad17
Assalam-O-Alaikum

I was wondering about the attribute "The Father" ,that did Allah instruct the Children of Israel to call Him with this attribute .

I am not sure what are trying to say here. Is there any verse in Quran that says Allah instructed Jews to call Him Father ?

selsebil
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
There is no implication in Quran or hadith that there is an attribute of Allah SWT like "father". Islam is the religion of tawheed. Quran says:
"Say: He is Allah,the One and Only;
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him. " Quran 112
Almighty Allah is above having mother and father, relatives or wife.Quran denies the divinity of those who have offspring and parents and equals; and it is to show that they are not worthy of being worshipped.Almighty Allah is above all relations which suggest giving birth and being born. He is exempt from having any partners, helpers, or fellows. His relations with all beings are those of Creator. He creates through His pre-eternal will with the command of “Be!,” and it is. He is far beyond having any relation which is contrary to perfection, or is compelling, necessitating, or involuntary.Almighty Allah is pre-eternal and post-eternal, He is the First and the Last. Neither in His essence, nor in His attributes, nor in His actions, has He in any way any equal, peer, like, or match, or anything similar, resembling, or analogous to Him. Only, in His acts, there may be comparisons expressing similarity.

Saad17
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Walaykum as Salaam

I am not sure what are trying to say here. Is there any verse in Quran that says Allah instructed Jews to call Him Father ?
I refering to the Bible, Jesus (PBUH) uses the word "Father" as "Lord"

"............ 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'"

So just like the OT refers to righteous people as being sons of God and in that case God would be a "heavenly father". So yeah Allah instructed the Children of Israel to do so because there are a few words of His existing in the Bible and since this is a general concept then I would say that Allah didn't mind being called "The Father" until people start taking it literal.

format_quote Originally Posted by selsebil
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
There is no implication in Quran or hadith that there is an attribute of Allah SWT like "father". Islam is the religion of tawheed. Quran says:
"Say: He is Allah,the One and Only;
Allah, the Eternal, Absolute;
He begetteth not, nor is He begotten;
And there is none like unto Him. " Quran 112
Almighty Allah is above having mother and father, relatives or wife.Quran denies the divinity of those who have offspring and parents and equals; and it is to show that they are not worthy of being worshipped.Almighty Allah is above all relations which suggest giving birth and being born. He is exempt from having any partners, helpers, or fellows. His relations with all beings are those of Creator. He creates through His pre-eternal will with the command of “Be!,” and it is. He is far beyond having any relation which is contrary to perfection, or is compelling, necessitating, or involuntary.Almighty Allah is pre-eternal and post-eternal, He is the First and the Last. Neither in His essence, nor in His attributes, nor in His actions, has He in any way any equal, peer, like, or match, or anything similar, resembling, or analogous to Him. Only, in His acts, there may be comparisons expressing similarity.
You haven't read my post, did you?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Saad17
01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Also keep one thing in mind before posting that the claim of Allah having an attribute "The Father" or "Al-Ab" is raised by Dr.Zakir Naik in the video, its not my claim so I'm asking wheres the source for this claim?

Darth Ultor
01-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Christians call God the Father too. The Jews do not mean it literally. We call Him the Father as a term of respect and love. We also call Him the Lord, the Sustainer, the Redeemer, etc. My guess to the origin is this: A father can forgive a child's shortcomings very easily. It doesn't say we are commanded to call Him father, but it doesn't say it's haraam either.

Saad17
01-21-2011, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
Christians call God the Father too. The Jews do not mean it literally. We call Him the Father as a term of respect and love. We also call Him the Lord, the Sustainer, the Redeemer, etc. My guess to the origin is this: A father can forgive a child's shortcomings very easily. It doesn't say we are commanded to call Him father, but it doesn't say it's haraam either.
Yeah thanks for the info but actually I was asking for Dr.Zakir Naik's source (i.e any Muslims is familiar with it?), from which he produced this claim but since Children of Israel did call God as Father (In respect) then I guess "The Father" is an attribute of Allah.

Ramadhan
01-22-2011, 12:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saad17
Yeah thanks for the info but actually I was asking for Dr.Zakir Naik's source (i.e any Muslims is familiar with it?), from which he produced this claim but since Children of Israel did call God as Father (In respect) then I guess "The Father" is an attribute of Allah.
"the Father" is NOT an attribute of Allah.
In the qur'an, Allah revealed to us His 99 beautiful attributes, and none is "the father".

Saad17
01-22-2011, 10:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
"the Father" is NOT an attribute of Allah.
In the qur'an, Allah revealed to us His 99 beautiful attributes, and none is "the father".
Did you even listen to what Dr.Zakir Naik said in the video?

Snowflake
01-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Assalamu alaykum,

I'm not sure how/if this kind of knowledge will benefit us in any way. But I do know Allah, The Exalted, will ask us if we followed what He and His Rasul salallahu alayhi wa sallam commanded us. My heart worries we are wasting time on things that aren't important for us, when we can use that time to read/learn al Quran, make dhikr, take longer in our prayers, gain knowledge that will benefit us, and lend a helping hand to family and others. Please dear brothers and sisters, let's spend our time wisely, because we can never get time back. This is a reminder to myself too.

*~*~*

“The Qur’an and the Sunnah make it clear that time is very valuable. Almighty Allah says: “By the time! Verily man is in loss.” (Al-`Asr:1-2) The Sunnah of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, is also a rich record of many Hadiths that acknowledge the value of time and confirm the responsibility of man on how he maintains it; he will be brought to account by Allah on the Day of Judgment. Mu`adh ibn Jabal quotes the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying: “A servant of Allah will remain standing on the Day of Resurrection until he is asked about four things: his life and how he spent it, his youth and how he used it up, his property and how he acquired and managed it and his knowledge and how he utilized it.”

Read more: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...#ixzz1BlW36Yn4

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!