/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hacker cracks Turkish mosques' sound system

Argamemnon
01-24-2011, 02:05 PM
"Hacker cracks Turkish mosques' sound system

In north-eastern Turkey, in the city of Rize, a hacker has succeeded in breaking into a sound system servicing 170 mosques. He then made alterations that replaced the call to prayer with traditional Turkish music.

The mufti of Rize has now taken measures to ensure the system's future safety. He said few of the city's Muslims appreciated the hacker's action. The identity of the hacker remains unknown."

This is what locals heard instead of the azan;

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
01-24-2011, 02:45 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Why would Muslims appreciate this hacking?

Argamemnon
01-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Ve aleykum selam

Nobody did, that's the point; it's shocking that someone can do this. Unbelievable.

:w:

Perseveranze
01-24-2011, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
Ve aleykum selam

Nobody did, that's the point; it's shocking that someone can do this. Unbelievable.

:w:
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I was talking about this part -

He said few of the city's Muslims appreciated the hacker's action.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Argamemnon
01-24-2011, 04:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum,

I was talking about this part -
Ve aleykum selam,

I think that means "hardly anybody" could appreciate it (though I'm sure a few atheists here and there were quite happy).

arabic alphabet
01-24-2011, 04:56 PM
I think that it is "today's youth" did, the young people who want to be known which educates street instead of school.

Neelofar
01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
I really hope it wasn't a youth becuase the finger always points towards us! :( we're not all bad, honest :)

Trumble
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Hmm.. a political protest that gets worldwide attention, really makes the point the perpetrator wanted to make and absolutely nothing or nobody killed, damaged or hurt except for 'offending' a few over-sensitives who hopefully by now have managed to get over it. No bombs, bullets, smashed windows, tear-gas or broken bodies. Absolutely outrageous. :mmokay:

Ramadhan
01-25-2011, 08:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
Hmm.. a political protest that gets worldwide attention, really makes the point the perpetrator wanted to make and absolutely nothing or nobody killed, damaged or hurt except for 'offending' a few over-sensitives who hopefully by now have managed to get over it. No bombs, bullets, smashed windows, tear-gas or broken bodies. Absolutely outrageous.

I am still trying to discern, how on earth you decided it was a political protest?

Because none in the news identifies the nature of the hacking, political or otherwise.

Dagless
01-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Hmm.. a political protest that gets worldwide attention, really makes the point the perpetrator wanted to make and absolutely nothing or nobody killed, damaged or hurt except for 'offending' a few over-sensitives who hopefully by now have managed to get over it. No bombs, bullets, smashed windows, tear-gas or broken bodies. Absolutely outrageous. :mmokay:
How do you know it's a political protest? It could just as easily have been some kids messing about. Political protests usually tell you what they are protesting about.
As for damages; I would think that changing the call to prayer to something else IS damage. Someone will have to change it back which will cost money, effort, etc. It will probably cost more than a smashed window.

Salihah
01-25-2011, 11:33 AM
a hacker has succeeded in breaking into a sound system servicing 170 mosques. He then made alterations that replaced the call to prayer with traditional Turkish music.
another good example for not everthing that can be done should be done...

Woodrow
01-25-2011, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salihah
another good example for not everthing that can be done should be done...
Excellent summation and conclusion.

Sadly children will play and the play is not always beneficial. By children I am referring to a mindset not an age group, children can range in age from the very young to the very old, depending upon what level of immaturity they choose to stay at.

Trumble
01-25-2011, 11:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I am still trying to discern, how on earth you decided it was a political protest?
Not least because of the choice of "traditional Turkish music". Somehow I can't see that as the choice of "kids messing about"; but it is the obvious one for Turkish secularists concerned at increasing Islamic influence.

Sorry Woodrow, this is one of the most mature protests I've seen in a while. "Children at play" just doesn't stack up.

Woodrow
01-26-2011, 12:07 AM
Not least because of the choice of "traditional Turkish music". Somehow I can't see that as the choice of "kids messing about"; but it is the obvious one for Turkish secularists concerned at increasing Islamic influence.

Sorry Woodrow, this is one of the most mature protests I've seen in a while. "Children at play" just doesn't stack up.
I can understand your view if it was a protest. Now the question is what was being protested and what use is a protest if one does not know they are being protested against? If I were to hack into all of the Church clarions in ND to play the Abbott and Costello radio sketch of "Who's on First" instead of Sunday Church bells, would anybody know what I was protesting?

GuestFellow
01-26-2011, 12:27 AM
How would people know this was protesting? Specifically, what was the message behind the protest?

this is one of the most mature protests I've seen in a while
How? It was absolutely pointless. It achieved nothing.

What a load of backwas!

Ramadhan
01-26-2011, 01:33 AM

I rate your "insight" the same points as those who oppose the "ground mosque". After all, those mozlems destroyed the towers and now them mozlems also built a mosque on it, so the purpose of the mosque cannot be anything other than to celebrate the conquest, right?

I am still marveled at your fantastical judgment to decide that this was a protest, heck, political protest even.
So did the guy who hacked the sound system tell you something we don't know?
Please enlighten us.

No wonder many americans think "them mozlems" are all terrorists.

Trumble
01-26-2011, 05:18 AM
I see nothing 'fantastical' about reaching the obvious conclusion from the evidence. In view of the current political situation in Turkey it certainly seems far more likely than the only alternative that has been offered. Either way it has nothing whatsoever to do with the 'ground mosque', or what many Americans or anybody else might think of muslims in general.

Ramadhan
01-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I see nothing 'fantastical' about reaching the obvious conclusion from the evidence
What evidence?

Please point out where in the news did the hacker state his motivation for breaking into the masjids' sound system network?

In view of the current political situation in Turkey it certainly seems far more likely than the only alternative that has been offered.
There are plenty of other alternatives. We just do not know.
Meanwhile, all you did was pure conjecture.
You did not even know the identity of the hacker, his religion, his motives, etc., and yet you already decided it was, in your own words "it is the obvious one for Turkish secularists concerned at increasing Islamic influence."

I call that fantastical judgement.

Either way it has nothing whatsoever to do with the 'ground mosque', or what many Americans or anybody else might think of muslims in general.
The way you and the oppositions of the ground zero mosque come to a conclusion is identical.
Both have no factuals and evidence but "fantastically" arrived at a judgement already.

yahia12
01-26-2011, 08:01 PM
but at least the guy did had a good taste of music. :)

aadil77
01-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Is the system connected to the internet, how else could he have cracked it?

Dagless
01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Maybe he broke in? Btw does anyone know why mosques can't take care of their own adhans?

Muezzin
01-26-2011, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Maybe he broke in? Btw does anyone know why mosques can't take care of their own adhans?
If he/she/they broke in and simply plugged the speakers into a laptop/mp3 player/radio etc that's a case of breaking and entering rather than hacking.

And if he/she/they broke in, it would not exactly be a nice, idyllic, Centre-Parcs peaceful political protest in which no property was damaged and no laws were broken and everybody received a flower.

Sigma
01-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't know what your political idealogies are or whether you believe in freedom of expression or not. But this is a clear case of someone infringing on the right of expression of a great number of people. A protest that didn't disturb the people would have been more mature woudl it not? Instead, we have a "hacker" who is disturbing the local community and delaying them from issuing the call to prayer.

Ramadhan
01-27-2011, 04:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
I think that is the case.

Dagless
01-27-2011, 04:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
If he/she/they broke in and simply plugged the speakers into a laptop/mp3 player/radio etc that's a case of breaking and entering rather than hacking.
Lol that would have been a waste of a laptop since he'd never have got it back :p I was thinking more along the lines of being somewhere he was not supposed to be in order for it to then to be possible to hack the system.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-27-2011, 01:33 PM
A protest is against something one dislikes or thinks is wrong. The mosque and call to prayer is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. It is HARDLY a protest, far from. Don't make it out as if its a protest, when it isnt :) So i do not understand your view as a protest.

Maybe I should go play the adhaan at a local church, can i call it a protest? Hmm or how about I go remove a buddha statue from a temple. Still a protest is it? When it's time for us as Muslims to pray and be reminded as the time to pray, do you honestly think we want to hear music?! Go play it in your own house. Honestly, you people. This is just your way of saying you like this, otherwise you wouldn't make such a foul comment.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-27-2011, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serdar
but at least the guy did had a good taste of music. :)
That is the most unnecessary comment ever in this thread. Hands down!

Trumble
01-28-2011, 10:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sigma
I don't know what your political idealogies are or whether you believe in freedom of expression or not. But this is a clear case of someone infringing on the right of expression of a great number of people. A protest that didn't disturb the people would have been more mature woudl it not? Instead, we have a "hacker" who is disturbing the local community and delaying them from issuing the call to prayer.
A protest that doesn't 'disturb' somebody is a complete waste of time. However, I refer you again, to my list of items frequently associated with other forms of protest.

format_quote Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
A protest is against something one dislikes or thinks is wrong. The mosque and call to prayer is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. It is HARDLY a protest, far from. Don't make it out as if its a protest, when it isnt :) So i do not understand your view as a protest.
And I am totally baffled as how you can think it was anything else, so I guess we will have to agree to differ.

GuestFellow
01-28-2011, 10:10 PM
And I am totally baffled as how you can think it was anything else, so I guess we will have to agree to differ.
How is this a protest?

Dagless
01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
A protest that doesn't 'disturb' somebody is a complete waste of time. However, I refer you again, to my list of items frequently associated with other forms of protest.

If it was a protest wouldn't it be something anti-Islamic? Something to show that they were against the mosques? Maybe something more nationalistic like the national anthem? As far as I know Turkish folk music originated from the Islamic era, and along with the fact that the hacker or group hasn't actually commented; makes it look like a prank.

Ansariyah
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM

The sista made some good points, how would u feel if someone took away ur Buddha from one of ur temple? Or disturbed one of ur ritual prayers (meditation) by loud Punk music? Would u still call it a protest? I dont think so! You Come here acting like this dude did something noble, praiseworthy. Give us a break!

Turks arent forced to practise Islam, as a matter of fact there are many who dont. Wat this fool did is not worth calling a protest. He doesnt have to pray, but stopping others from praying? and here u are sugar'coating it. Just goes to show who u are, insensitive & disrespectful.

GuestFellow
01-28-2011, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
If it was a protest wouldn't it be something anti-Islamic? Something to show that they were against the mosques? Maybe something more nationalistic like the national anthem? As far as I know Turkish folk music originated from the Islamic era, and along with the fact that the hacker or group hasn't actually commented; makes it look like a prank.
:sl:

I agree, its more likely to be a prank.

Sigma
01-29-2011, 12:27 AM

But that somebody has to be the offending party. I won't go protest in front of a church stopping innocent worshippers from worshipping if I'm protesting against the governments actions. And in you're forgetting the amount of peaceful protests that are carried out world wide. Just because protests can turn out violent (which one hasn't) doesn't make it any less wrong.

Trumble
01-29-2011, 03:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
The sista made some good points, how would u feel if someone took away ur Buddha from one of ur temple? Or disturbed one of ur ritual prayers (meditation) by loud Punk music? Would u still call it a protest? I dont think so!
Then you would be wrong. Something is a protest if that is what the person(s) responsible intend it to be. If, for example, somebody wished to protest at what they saw as excessive Buddhist influence in secular affairs in their country I think your 'loud Punk music' would be a reasonable way of doing it. It's certainly better than prayers being disturbed by a suicide bomber or a riot.

You Come here acting like this dude did something noble, praiseworthy. Give us a break!
I said nothing about 'noble' or 'praiseworthy', but I certainly think it was better than most of the alternatives - including those frequently used by 'offended' muslims. Even in the unlikely event it was just a 'prank', what harm was done? Despite your claim nobody was actually stopped from doing anything.

GuestFellow
01-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Then you would be wrong. Something is a protest if that is what the person(s) responsible intend it to be. If, for example, somebody wished to protest at what they saw as excessive Buddhist influence in secular affairs in their country I think your 'loud Punk music' would be a reasonable way of doing it.
How do you know what these people intended? Do you possess some psychological ability to read people's minds? What is the point of a protest if no one can work out what the message was behind the protest?

Muezzin
01-29-2011, 04:45 PM
They were just trollin'.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Of courseeeeeeeeeeeeeee you would be. I mean, common sense isn't exactly your cup of tea is it?

The rights of Muslims are more infringed upon in Turkey than that of a secularist. IT'S NO ONES BUSINESS TO INTERRUPT A CALL TO PRAYER. Who do u think you are? You talk as if the guy is your best bud. The call to prayer is an ESSENTIAL part of the religion, so don't expect it to go away. Am I to assume you have some telepathic capability and communicate with him via this ability?

Only a silly kaafir like you would call anything in Islaam as excessive because you lack any sort of belief towards it. So naturally this is the mindset of people like you. How dare you even slightly defend such nonsense.

Eventually a persons true colors comes out. It cant always be hidden.

smile
01-31-2011, 10:02 AM
thats why you they should have a live athaan

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!