/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me your Myths about Islam

Pheonic
01-25-2011, 08:25 AM
In defense of Islam (in general) I'm writing a list of myths that people or other religions (or even Muslims) believe about Islam/Muslims. (it will be posted online)

Please state your myth/s, and a short description of what the truth of the matter is. I welcome myths that are specific to one group as well.

Thank you! :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Salaam

Is Satan the Author of the Qur’an?

.....Satan is described in the Qur’an as the deadliest enemy of man. He refused to prostrate himself to Adam and rejected this command of Allah, Who banished and cursed Satan but gave him respite until the Day of Resurrection. Due to his arrogance and envy, he declared that he would do his best to bring about the fall and doom of Adam and all humanity. Thus in the Qur’an, Satan is the source of all the evil in human life. Man is warned against his greatest foe, Satan. This is another aspect of the personality of Satan in the Qur’an. It also refutes the claim that Satan is the author of this Divine Book.

....Here are some Qur’anic quotations that show the role of the Devil:

"And Satan, indeed, proved true his thought about them so they followed him all except a group of true believers. And he had no authority over them." (Saba’: 20-21)

"Then they will be hurled therein, they and the seducers and the hosts of Satan together." (Ash-Shu`araa’: 94-95)

"The angels fell down prostrate, everyone except Iblis (Satan) he was arrogant and became one of the disbelievers." (Saad: 74-75)

"And if the Devil should cause you to forget, sit not after the remembrance, with the congregation of wrong doers." (Al-An`am: 68)

"O you who believe! Follow not the footsteps of the Devil, for those who follow the footsteps of the Devil, he commands lewdness and evil." (An-Nur: 21)

"The devil promises you poverty and enjoins on you lewdness, but Allah promises you forgiveness from Himself and bounty." (Al-Baqarah: 268)

http://www.islamonline.net/english/Q...rticle22.shtml

Salihah
01-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Welcome to IB

honestly I am so tired to discuss peoples prejudices over and over again... why do we need to defend aaaaall the time?
suggestion: why dont you write about the beauty of islam?
wa salam

Pheonic
01-25-2011, 01:24 PM
honestly I am so tired to discuss peoples prejudices over and over again... why do we need to defend aaaaall the time?
Sounds like a war of information, but the war is not won until it is taken to the enemy. :) I'm trying to get the sighs accumulated in this forum out into the open more, where they can hopefully do some good.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
It is near to impossible if not impossible for a Muslim to know what myths people believe about us. We can only assume what some may be. Yet we do not know for certain how wide spread they are or how many people actually believe them.

To ask a non-Muslim what myths they believe is an impossibility as they do not know what is the truth about us or what is myth.

As Sister Salihah suggested it would be far better to write about the beauty of Islam. From there let people decide which of their own beliefs are in error or are myths.

Zafran
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Salaam

Moon God - worst Myth ever and there are people that actually believe this as well.

Islam calls to the God of Abhrahm, Jesus, Moses and Muhmammad pbuh. The basis of Islam is the Quran.

peace

IAmZamzam
01-25-2011, 05:17 PM
For some reason (probably from being so brainwashed by Christianity's complete nonsense non-expanation that "the Holy Spirit came upon Mary" and no familiarity with any other way of thinking) some people seem not to understand that we believe that Mary was born a virgin. And when they do hear it, they get confused. That's right: they don't find "conceived of the Holy Spirit" to be confusing, but the idea that a virgin birth involves there being no father at all, they can't even fit that through their heads.

Pheonic
01-29-2011, 05:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It is near to impossible if not impossible for a Muslim to know what myths people believe about us.
Well, surely it's not so difficult. If someone hears something about Islam that isn't true, multiple times, there's a good chance that it's a myth. If one fears that it may not be widespread, he could merely mention having uncertainty about the myth's size. There are plenty of websites about myths of various religions, but few to none about Islam (in English).

Pheonic
01-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Correction: Ignore the last sentence. I Googled this before, but didn't find anything, for some reason. Now I'm finding a lot of sites.

Woodrow
01-29-2011, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pheonic
Correction: Ignore the last sentence. I Googled this before, but didn't find anything, for some reason. Now I'm finding a lot of sites.
For many people who do not live in a region that has a noticeable number of Muslims, the internet becomes the only source of information about us.

One reason I do not hear or see much personal opinion about any myths about us is because of the area I currently live in. Most people here have never seen a Muslim and have no knowledge at all about us, not even myths or false information. We are an unknown people to them. The little they do know about us is what they have found on the internet. But, even then they only know what they have had reason to seek information about. So it does seem we as Muslims do have a responsibility to assure accurate information and truth is available on the internet.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!