/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how many times will Allah forgive him for repeating a sin???

ufaq
01-25-2011, 02:05 PM
A person is committing a particular sin many times but after committing it he repents sincerly to Allah . He can't control himself but falls into that particular sin frequently . But each time after he commits it he repents sincerly so much that he cries everytime during that and asking Allah to forgive him and help him in leaving that sin. So my question is that how many times will Allah keep on forgiving him? I've heard from a hadith that Allah will forgive until the shaitaan is defeated ...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
أبو سليمان عمر
01-25-2011, 05:00 PM
So long as the person sincerly repents IT should be fine but know that one of the conditions is that he hates the sin he commited and another one is that he trys never to go back to this sin so long as the condations are meet Insha Allah he is forgive and Allah knows best

ufaq
01-26-2011, 05:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by أبو سليمان عمر
So long as the person sincerly repents IT should be fine but know that one of the conditions is that he hates the sin he commited and another one is that he trys never to go back to this sin so long as the condations are meet Insha Allah he is forgive and Allah knows best
allahmdulillah thank u :)

Amoeba
01-26-2011, 10:25 AM
May I please add to this question, if you don't mind?

What if it's a slightly more complicated situation: Hypothetical person commits a sin frequently. They don't dislike the sin. They don't yet understand why it's bad. However, they still ask Allah to help them stop doing it because they know Allah dislikes it. They don't feel sincere, so they ask Allah to help them to become sincere (it's the only thing they're truly sincere about - wanting to be sincere in stopping doing what Allah dislikes). Also on top of that they've been committing the sin with less and less frequency, with longer spells of not committing it. But when they repent, they still can't bring themselves to feel sorry in their heart, even though they may try.

I'm confused about sincerity lately so that's why I ask, because personally I don't know when I'm sincere and when I'm not. If they're not truly sincere but want to become truly sincere, would that at least be a good start, or does it still sound very insincere?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
أبو سليمان عمر
01-26-2011, 05:30 PM
This is the best answer i can give you

Repentance

Shaykh Muhammad Saalih ibn al-Uthaymeen hafidhahullaah

Repentance: means turning back from disobeying Allaah to obeying Him.

Repentance: is beloved to Allaah, as He says: "Verily, Allaah loves those who repent and those who purify themselves." [Surah Al-Baqarah: 222]

Repentance: is an obligation on every believer. Allaah says: "O you who believe! Turn to Allaah in sincere repentance!" [Surah At-Tahreem: 8]

Repentance: is from the means of attaining success. Allaah says: "And O believers, all of you, repent to Allaah in order that you may be successful." [Surah An-Noor: 31] Success is when someone gets what he is looking for and is saved from what he is running from.

Through Sincere Repentance: Allaah forgives sins no matter how big they are and no matter how many they are. Allaah says: "Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against themselves (because of sins), do not despair from the mercy of Allaah. Verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Verily, He is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Surah Az-Zumar: 53]

O my brother who has fallen into sins, do not despair from the mercy of your Lord, for indeed the door to repentance is open until the sun rises from the west. The Prophet SAWS said: "Verily, Allaah extends His hand out at night in order to accept the repentance of the sinner by day. And He extends His hand out during the day in order to accept the repentance of the sinner by night, until (the day) when the sun will rise from its west." [Reported by Muslim]

And how many people have repented to Allaah from numerous and enormous sins and Allaah has accepted their repentance? Allaah says: "And those who do not supplicate to another god along with Allaah, nor do they kill a person that Allaah has made forbidden (to kill) except with just cause, nor do they commit fornication. And whoever does this shall receive the punishment. The torment will be doubled for him on the Day of Resurrection and he will abide therein in disgrace. Except those who repent and believe and do righteous deeds, for those, Allaah will change their sins into good deeds. And Allaah is Most Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Surah Al-Furqaan: 68-70]

Sincere Repentance: must meet five conditions (in order to be accepted), which are:

1. Sincerity to Allaah, the Most High: This is by the person doing it only for the sake of Allaah and seeking His reward and salvation from His punishment.

2. Remorse: for the sin that was committed, such that he is sad he did it and wishes he had never done it.

3. Ceasing: to commit the sin immediately. If the sin was against Allaah, then he should (1) stop doing it if it was an unlawful act, or (2) hasten to do it if it was an obligation that he abandoned doing. And if the sin was against a created being (such as humans), then he should hasten to free himself from it, whether by returning it back to him or seeking his forgiveness and pardon.

4. Determination: to not go back to doing that sin again in the future.

5. The repentance should not occur before the time when its acceptance is terminated, either by death or by the sun rising from the west. Allaah says: "Repentance is of no effect for those who commit sins constantly until when death faces one of them, he says: Verily I repent now." The Prophet SAWS said: "Whoever repents before the sun rises from its west, Allaah will accept his repentance." [Reported by Muslim]

O Allaah, grant us the sincere repentance and accept it from us, verily You are the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing.

Written by Muhammad As-Saalih Al-'Uthaimeen

Insecured soul
01-26-2011, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ufaq
A person is committing a particular sin many times but after committing it he repents sincerly to Allah . He can't control himself but falls into that particular sin frequently . But each time after he commits it he repents sincerly so much that he cries everytime during that and asking Allah to forgive him and help him in leaving that sin. So my question is that how many times will Allah keep on forgiving him? I've heard from a hadith that Allah will forgive until the shaitaan is defeated ...
When a person commits a sin after repenting, his repentence becomes "Void"
Here are 3 condition of taubah,
1) you should feel upset and bad about the sin you committed
2) you should stop that sin immidieately
3) you should never repeat it again.

Those are the condition on which the taubah stands, missing anything from the above invalidates the taubah and also allah is ever forgiving and merciful

Walaikum assalam.

Hamza Asadullah
01-27-2011, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ufaq
Asalaamu Alaikum, jazakallahu khayran for sharing your question with us.

Imam Nawawi (RA) says in his Chapter on Repentance in Riyaad us Saaliheen:

Scholars say that it is s a duty to repent of every wrong action. If it is disobedience which occurs between a person and Allah and does not involve the right of another human being, repentance has three preconditions. The first is that one divest himself of disobedience. The second is that he regret doing it. The third is that he resolve not to ever return to it. If one of the three is lacking, then his repentance is not sound.

If it involves to another human being, repentance has four preconditions: these three and that he discharges his duty to the other person. If it is money or the like, he pays it to him. If it is a hadd-punishment because of slander and the like it, he give shim power over him or seeks his pardon. If it is slander, he undoes it, He must repent of all wrong actions. If he repents of some of them, the people of truth say that his repentance of them is sound, but he still has the rest. There is much evidence in the Book, the Sunna and the consensus of the Community about the obligation to repent.

Allah Almighty says, "Turn towards Allah, O believers, every one of you, so that perhaps you will have success," (24:31)

and the Almighty says, "Ask your Lord for forgiveness and then turn in repentance to Him," (11:3)
and the Almighty says, "O you who believe! Turn in sincere repentance to Allah." (66:8)

Hadith Qudsi: Allah, the Almighty, has said:

O Son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O Son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O Son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins as great as the earth, and were you then to face Me ascribing no partners to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.

So as long as the conditions of repentance are met then you will find Allah most merciful. But those with other intentions who think they can carry on committing sins and then ask Allah to forgive them then they should know they cannot fool their lord as Allah knows what is in the hearts.

We must fight and strive against the whispers of shaythan and our desires and abstain from committing major sins in particular as these can have damaging effects on our imaan(faith). As long as one keeps on striving against ones desires and whispers of shaythan and does their utmost to abstain from committing any major sin and fears Allah and puts their trust and faith in him then one can overcome any hurdle that comes one's way.

We should repent as much as possible throughout the day and in our dua's. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) repented upto 100 times a day and encouraged us to also repent throughout the day as much as possible. Sincere repentance will be in our favour on the day of Judgement.

Also make much dua to Allah that Allah forgives us and helps us to abstain from major sins and anything that angers and displeases him.

If you trip and fall over then get up and continue to fight and strive and with the help of Allah one will be victorious.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hamza Asadullah
01-27-2011, 06:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba

What if it's a slightly more complicated situation: Hypothetical person commits a sin frequently. They don't dislike the sin. They don't yet understand why it's bad. However, they still ask Allah to help them stop doing it because they know Allah dislikes it. They don't feel sincere, so they ask Allah to help them to become sincere (it's the only thing they're truly sincere about - wanting to be sincere in stopping doing what Allah dislikes). Also on top of that they've been committing the sin with less and less frequency, with longer spells of not committing it. But when they repent, they still can't bring themselves to feel sorry in their heart, even though they may try.

I'm confused about sincerity lately so that's why I ask, because personally I don't know when I'm sincere and when I'm not. If they're not truly sincere but want to become truly sincere, would that at least be a good start, or does it still sound very insincere?
Asalaamu Alaikum, my sister we should realise that we are the created and the created know not what is best for them but surely the one who created the creation knows what is best for the creation.

Therefore whatever Allah has made forbidden and hateful for us we should accept that it must be harmful to us otherwise the creator would not have forbidden such a thing. If our creator dislikes and hates it then we should also dislike and hate it.

He created it as a test for us and if we indulge in it then surely we are failing the test. Whatever Allah has ordered of us is the best for us and whatever he has told us to abstain from is also best for us if we abstain from it.

We should instill a fear of Allah in our hearts. We should have Taqwa. Taqwa means consciousness, awe or fear of Allah, which inspires a person to be on guard against wrong action and eager for actions which please Allah and stay away from those actions which displease and anger him.

the skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it (when they recite it or hear it). Then their skin and their heart soften to the remembrance of Allah." [39:23]

Why should we fear Allah?

It is because we are fully reliant on Allah and we have no control over our final fate and the day and time when we will return to Allah. We are so weak, vulnerable and low beings whereas Allah is the greatest and most high, honoured and has power over EVERYTHING!

Allah can take us at ANY second and what would become of us if we were taken whilst committing a sin? We would risk the torture of the grave and a day so terrible that we cannot even comprehend for what would become of us on the day of judgement?

Therefore we MUST fear Allah and totally submit to him and obey his commands lest we are taken whilst we are indulging in sin and face the torment of the grave, the terrible state of ALL on the harshest of days the day of judgement and the fire of Hell who's fuel is of men and stones.

The fruits of fearing Allah

Ghazali (rahmatullahi `alayhi) said: ‘Fear rips away desires and muddens luxuries so that cherished sins become reprehensible, just as a honey lover is repelled by it when he learns that it has poison in it. This is how fear burns desires; disciplines the organs; subordinates the heart and gives it tranquility. It also enables the heart to rid itself of pride, hatred, and envy; and it leaves it absorbed in it (fear). Hence, the heart becomes preoccupied with its own worries and looks towards its best interest in the long run. It is then engaged in only matters like meditation, self-analysis and struggle. It cherishes its time and moments.’ [Ihya: 4/160]

Hadith - Al-Tirmidhi #5359, Narrated Abdullah ibn Mas'ud

Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "If, through fear of Allah, tears--even to the extent of a fly's head--fall from any believer's eyes and drop on some part of his cheek, he will be kept away from Hell by Allah." Ibn Majah transmitted it.

So how can we increase our taqwa or fearful awareness of Allah?

Here are 10 steps for us to increase in and gain taqwa:

1. Recite the Qur'an with its meanings:

We should read the Qur'an with its meanings and try to understand what Allah is telling us in the Qur'an. Contemplate and ponder over the meanings of the verses of the Qur'an and act upon what you learn for learning something beneficial without acting upon it is of no use. We should read each vere of the Qur'an with humility and submissiveness.

Recite the Holy Qur’aan as much as we can for It will come as an intercessor for its reciter’ on the Day of Judgement [Muslim]

Many of the sahaba used to take a long time finishing reciting the Qur'an because they wanted to reflect, ponder, contemplate and act upon each verse of the Qur'an. We should also do the same so that we can gain maximum benefit from each verse of the Noble Qur'an.

2. Remember Allah:

keep your tongue moist with the glorification and remembrance of Allah As much as possible . The more we remember him the more he will remember us. Ponder over the greatness and creations of Allah.

O ye who believe, remember Allah much. And glorify Him morning and evening (33:42-43)

Glorify him no matter what you are doing with your day. Ponder and contemplate over his highness and magnificence. He has power over all so remember him in meekness and awe and humble yourself over his greatness and majesty.

3. Busy yourself with good works:

The more you busy yourself making the best of your time then the less time you will have to even contemplate doing haraam. Take part in local Islamic activities and in the Muslim community. Involve yourself with your local Masjid. Maintain the Masjid as in clean it vacuum any handy work etc. Give dawah locally and involve yourself as much as possible with good works and do everything ONLY to please of Allah.

4. Be with good company:

This is very important because we are who our friends are. If we involve ourselves with the wrong crowd then whether we like it or not then their bad influence will rub off on us and we will end up thinking like them and doing the sins that they do.

Bad company is like poison so we MUST keep away from it. It is better to be alone than with bad company. we should avoid taking as friends those who speak too freely, who miss Salah, who do not dress modestly, who backbite, slander etc.

The company of such people is poison; just even sitting and talking with them will lead one to commit sins. Just as a person who sits for a long time with a perfume seller begins to smell nice, and a person who sits by a gutter cleaner begins to smell awful, similarly a person who spends time in the company of the wicked eventually gets affected badly by them.

Instead we should seek out pious friends who fear Allah taala and who have the qualities of humility, charity, compassion, modesty and knowledge. If we sit with them we will always benefit and they will be a means for us to get closer to Allah!

Remember: “All friends will be enemies of one another on that Day (Day of Judgment) except those of the virtuous.” (al-Qur’an 43:67)

5. Learn religious knowledge:

Try to acquire as much knowledge as is possible and act upon everything you learn for learning without acting upon that knowledge is of no use and we will be accountable for the knowledge we had that we never acted upon. Spend time with the learned and sit with them and take wisdom from them. Go to Islamic courses and involve yourself with learning about the deen as much as you can as we should continue to acquire knowledge of Islam until our very last breath.

A person without knowledge is like someone walking along a track in complete darkness. Most likely his steps will wander aside and he easily can be deceived by shaytaan. This shows that our greatest danger lies in our ignorance of Islamic teachings and in our unawareness of what the Qur’an teaches and what guidance has been given by the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaiyhi Wasallam). But if we are blessed with the light of knowledge we will be able to see plainly the clear path of Islam at every step of our lives. We shall also be able to identify and avoid the dangerous paths of Kufr, Shirk and immorality, which may cross it. And, whenever a false guide meets us on the way, a few words with him will quickly establish that he is not a guide who should be followed.

Every one of us, young or old, man or woman, should at least acquire sufficient knowledge to enable ourselves to understand the essence of the teachings of the Qur’an and the purpose for which it has been sent down. We should also be able to understand clearly the mission, which our beloved Prophet (Sallallahu Alaiyhi Wasallam) came into this world to fulfil. We should also recognize the corrupt order and system, which he came to destroy. We should acquaint ourselves, too, with the way of life which Allah has ordained for us.

No great amount of time is required to acquire this simple knowledge. If we truly value Iman, it cannot be too difficult to find one hour every day to devote for our Iman.

6. Always be alert and aware of whatever may divert you away from Allah:

Be alert to anything that may lead you towards sin. Shaythan is always wanting to lead us astray and he may pounce on us when we are not aware so we must always have an awareness of his evil tricks.

We must think that whilst we commit any action we may be taken by death for death awaits no one so before doing any action we must think is it good for us or bad and if it is bad then we must realise that we CANNOT take the risk of the consequances were we to die in that state.

We must also guard our tongues because the tongue will be that which will lead the most Muslims into Jahannam. Therefore we must think before we speak and if we know we are not going to say anything useful then it is better to not speak at all than to risk committing a sin.

Therefore let us be alert to the carnal pleasures that may lead to the realm of the forbidden and always be aware that Allah is watching us because he really is and it is not just a cliche! if we gain awareness that Allah is watching us no matter what we are doing then we would think twice before committing a sin!

7. Be humble in character:

Shun arrogance and pride and never think of yourself as better than anyone else.

Al-Nawawi (RA) said:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “And no one humbles himself before Allaah but Allaah will raise him (in status).”

Humbleness is to know the value of oneself, to avoid pride, or disregarding the truth and underestimating people. As the Prophet sallallahu`alaihi wa sallam said, according to Muslim and others, "Al-Kibr is rejecting the truth and looking down upon people" [Muslim, Tirmidhi and Abu Dawud].

Humbleness is for one who is important and significant and he fears to gain notoriety or to become too great among people. Humbleness is that one should humble himself with his companions.

Humbleness is to humble oneself to one who is below you. If you find someone who is younger than you, or of less importance than you, you should not despise him, because he might have a better heart than you, or be less sinful, or closer to Allah than you. Even if you see a sinful person and you are righteous, do not act in arrogance towards him, and thank Allah that He saved you from the tribulation that He put him through.

Humbleness is that your deed should not become too great in your eyes. If you do a good deed, or attempt to get closer to Allah ta`ala through an act of obedience, your deed may still not be accepted, "Allah only accepts from those who have taqwa (fear of Allah)." (Surat al-Maida: 27)

8. Do everything to please Allah:

Everything you do in your life do it JUST so that you can please Allah. This will ensure that you think before you do any action so that you can do everything to please Allah and keep away from anything that displeases him. This awareness will ensure that you are always doing good works or at least trying to find ways of doing good works just so that you can please Allah and get closer to him.

Before every action we should think to ourselves is this action going to derive any benefit to us or is it going to cause us more harm than good. If we think like this before EVERY action then we will do a lot less sins and a lot more good and we would also gain a fearful awareness of Allah of the consequances of doing that which displeases Allah.

9. Focus on the main purpose of our lives:

We should keep reminding ourselves of the purpose of our life and why we are here. Throughout our daily lives especially in our busy day we forget our main purpose and therefore end up doing a lot of sin and wasting time.

Therefore before doing any action think of your main purpose in this life and then think is what i am going to do or even think of doing compatible with the main purpose of my life? If it is then do it and if it is not and will just either waste your time or lead you towards sin then keep away from it.

Think to yourself that you have NO time whatsoever to do that which will not conform to your main purpose in this life and so evrything you do should conform to and be compatible with your main purpose in this life which is to worship Allah and do everything to please him and stay away from anything he has forbidden us from and which displeases him. We should also think that anything which will not be of benefit to us is a waste of time and therefore we will ALWAYS be searching for ways to please Allah and to add to our good deeds.

10. Remember much the destroyer of pleasures: DEATH!

The Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Remember often the destroyer of pleasure." (Sunan al-Tirmidhi and Sunan al-Nasa'i)

Know that it can strike at ANY second and be aware that if it were to strike whilst you were committing a sin then how will you be raised in that state and what will be our state in the grave and on the day of judgement? What will you answer to Allah when you were fully aware of the implications and consquences of our actions? For man is heedless.

Therefore remember death much and make it a habit to visit the graveyard at least once a week so that you may be reminded of death and know that you may end up in the grave alongside the others at ANY second and the next grave dug could be yours or mine.

May Allah make us of the most fearful of him and of the pious and may he bring us closer to him and guide us to the straight path. May he save us from the torment of the grave and the fire of hell. Ameen

And Allah knows best in all matters

Amoeba
01-27-2011, 08:12 AM
So... the answer is no then? I'm confused. I read your answer but I can't relate it to what I asked.

ufaq
01-27-2011, 11:46 AM

i don't know much about this thing but all i know is whenever i repent to Allah and cry i feel a lot better and it makes me realize that i'm being sincere to Allah. And if for some reason i won't cry then i don't feel my repentance has been accepted. I believe every sincere believer will cry at some point over their sins otherwise i don't think he's being true and sincere to Allah which is not a good thing. And i fear that thing cause i fear Allah.

- Qatada -
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM

:salamext:

There's two things;

1 - You hate a sin because you know Allah hates it.

2 - You don't like the sin, rather - the desire is what overpowers the person.

By hating the sin and asking Him for sincerety to hate it [out of love for Allah] - you are doing something good. By decreasing the sin in frequency, yet continuing to repent is also a good sign that you are sincere to Allah.

So keep it up. Measure your success by how quick and permanently you can give up the sin.

Amoeba
01-27-2011, 12:16 PM
What I'm saying though is they don't hate the sin. They just want to refrain from the sin because Allah dislikes it. Just because someone knows that Allah hates something, doesn't mean they can just automatically make themselves hate it too.

I'm confused because I keep reading that a requirement is that you have to hate the sin in your heart. But what if you don't hate the sin, but still want to stop doing it?

- Qatada -
01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
What I'm saying though is they don't hate the sin. They just want to refrain from the sin because Allah dislikes it. Just because someone knows that Allah hates something, doesn't mean they can just automatically make themselves hate it too.

I'm confused because I keep reading that a requirement is that you have to hate the sin in your heart. But what if you don't hate the sin, but still want to stop doing it?

:salamext:

You hate the sin because Allah hates it.

You don't like the sin, you just like desire.

So your repentance and wanting to stop the sin is a good thing, because you know you are breaking Allah's law.

ufaq
01-27-2011, 12:27 PM

in my opinion all the sins are bad and hatefull in nature cause they ultimately lead to adisobedience of Allah which is not right. Doesn't matter if he does not hate the sin but he must hate disobeying Allah . Who would like to disobey Allah? So he should atleast leave it for Allah's sake to win the pleasure of Allah. And if he doesn't leave it then only Allah knows what should be done.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!