/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How To Get Through Hardships & Trials!

Hamza Asadullah
01-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Bismillahirahmaaniraheem

In the name of Allah most compassionate most merciful

The way we can get through hardships and difficult tests that we may be going through in life is to firstly internalise in our minds that this life is a test ground and we are in an examination but we do not know when this examination will end but whilst the examination is taking place we are being rigorously tested and at times we are tested until breaking piont just to see whether or not we will turn towards Allah or go away from him.

We must also internalise that Allah ONLY tests those who he wants close to him. Therefore the tests that we go through in our lives clearly show Allah is wanting us to turn towards him and be closer to him. This is in fact a great privelage. The greater the tests we go through the more Allah is wanting to raise our ranks in the hereafter.

Therefore if we really want to know the best way to approach huge trials and tests then we should simply realise that the bigger the tests we are going through then the higher Allah is wanting to raise our ranks in the hererafter. Trials are a truly blessing in disguise. All Allah wants from us is for us to turn towards him in meekness and humbleness and for us to be patient and to turn to him in prayer and dua. Picture that fact that Allah loves it when his servant is in desperate need, crying to him for help for Allah tends to those who cry and sob to him immediatley just as a mother tends to its baby promptly when it is crying.

We should also internalise the fact that tests actually differentiate us believers from one another in terms of ranking in the eyes of Allah and therefore we should know that those who are tested and are patient are forgiven of their sins as sins falls off a person who is patient through trials just. Therefore we should realise that us being tested with trials and tests will NEVER go unrewarded for Allah rewards how much he wants to those who are patient through trials and those who turn towards him in humility and meekness.

It may be that a person who has experienced great trials in the world faces Allah on the day of judgement with little or no sins. So tests are a way of Allah forgiving a person of their sins so that on the day of judgement they have a much lighter load. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has called the day of judgement a "terrible" day and surely on this terrible day we would want as less sins as possible in our accounts if we are to be successful. Therefore these trials and tests are very important for us because they enable us to be forgiven for countless sins that would be a huge burden on us if it were in our accounts but due to the huge tests we faced with patience turning to Allah then it may be that we have very little or no sins at all on that day. The greater the trial the more sins fall off us. So know that even a prick of a thorn expiates ones sins.

We should also approach hardships and tests as in that it is the decree of Allah so we should NEVER ask Allah "Why" has he given us such trials? For questioning Allah why he has decreed something will mean that not only have we gone through so much grief and torment from these trials but that we have actually added to our sins by questioning Allah and we will be accountable for that.

Patience is one of the greatest attributes a person can acquire and Allah is with those who are patient and the reward for Patience is Paradise!

If one is patient, and is among the ones described in the following manner in the Qur’an (Baqarah, 2: 256)

Who say, when afflicted with calamity: “To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return”:-

Then here are the rewards Allah will give that person (2:157):

The Rewards of Patience are the folowing:

1. Blessings from Allah: The patient person is blessed by Allah.

2. Mercy of Allah: When Allah gives someone His Mercy, He will let him enter paradise with His Mercy.

3. Guidance of Allah: A patient person will be guided by Allah in this world until he meets Him on the Day of Judgment.

Referring to those who are tested and endure with Sabr or patience all of the above three rewards are mentioned by Allah Himself in the Qur’an in Surah Baqarah (2: 157):

“They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.”

In Surah Hud (11:11), Allah (S.W.T.) again promises to reward those who are patient in adversity.

Therefore let us realise that patience is the main thing Allah is looking for in us when we are going through trials and tests.

Here are two wonderful examples of patience through trials in the life of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) :

‘Ata ibn Rabah related that he heard Ibn ‘Abbas say: “Shall I show you a woman of Paradise?”I said: “Yes, indeed.” He said: “A black woman came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and said: ‘I suffer from epileptic fits, and because of these, (at times) my body becomes uncovered. Would you invoke Allah, the Exalted One, to cure me of this disease? ‘ The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: ‘If you wish, you can be patient and you will attain Paradise (for this suffering). But if you prefer, I will pray to Allah, the Exalted, to cure you of it?’ The woman said: ‘I will be patient,’ then added: ‘I become uncovered (when I have fits), so invoke Allah for me that I do not become uncovered. ‘ So the Prophet, peace be upon him, prayed for her.” [Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, volume 4, #1a]

Story of ‘Urwah Ibn Al Zubair

‘Urwah Ibn Al Zubair had an operation, and the doctor amputated his leg. One friend came to visit him. ‘Urwah thought that the fried came to pacify him for the loss of his leg. So ‘Urwah told the visitor: If you came to give me condolence for the loss of my leg, I already submitted to Allah with patience to reward me for its loss. The guest told him, I came to inform you that your son fell down in a stable, and the animals stepped over him, and he died one hour ago. ‘Urwah said: O Allah! You took one child, and left me many…You took one organ from my body, and left me many organs…O Allah! You tested me with my body, and you were kind to leave me with good health. You tested me with the loss of my son, but you were kind in leaving me the rest of my children.

We should also approach tests as in we should look at those who have less than us. We have clean tap water and food on our plates everyday. We have clean clothes washed regularly and shelter from the harsh weather. Whereas there are those who walk miles just for a sip of water and even then it is dirty. There are those who have the same clothes for years and cannot even wash them. There are those who go days without proper food and even then they have scraps and end up being malnourished. There are those like in the flood disaster recently who have no shelter and are exposed to terrible diseases. Those who have little or no money to buy even basic things aswell as medication for their sick family members. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) always told us to look at those who have less than us.

Sometims when we go through great trials we get decieved into thinking that other people that we see around us must be living a life happy and content. We are wrong to think in this way for we do not know what goes on in peoples lives. There are many examples of those who seemed as though they have SO much and seemed so happy but when certain things were revealed then it was clear that those people were living miserable lives full of torment! We may look at a person with a smile on his face but he may be going through trials we can never imagine.

Therefore when we are going through difficult times and trials then we should not look at others and think they are happy and living fulfilled lives for we do not know what any person on the street is going through on a day to day basis.

Therefore whenever we are going through difficult times and trials then we should put our full trust, hopes, faith and reliance in Allah for he will NEVER let us down but is only testing us because he wants us to turn towards him in humility, humbleness and meekness and he wants us to get much closer to him. He tests a person because he wants good for them and wants to forgive them and raise their ranks in the hereafter.

In reality how lucky is a person who is being tested greatly and is still patient and turning towards Allah night and day. How hig must Allah be raising his ranks and forgiving his sins on a daily basis until he is like a new born baby who has little or no sins on him at all. So the way to approach this is to realise that a person who is being tested greatly is in fact lucky but shaythan is wanting one to think opposite.

Shaythan is our eternal sworn enemy and ONLY wants us to lose hope and faith and to go away from Allah. He wants us tobecome disillusioned and lose all hope so that we go away from Alah and our deen. But we should reject our enemy who only wants our destruction. We should disregard his evil whispers and know that they are only lies and deciet.

Shaythan will try to make us think that there is no way out of this and this is because he wants us to give in and lose hope. But we must realise that if we continuously strive and keep turning towards Allah and be patient then the final victory WILL be ours! We will taste the sweetness of victory but in order to taste this victory we need to fight and strive through the tests and trials that life throws at us!

If one who is going through great trials continues to turn towards Allah in humility, meekness and in humblenes then know that the reward one will gain will be unimaginable. On the day of judgement once we see the reward of being patient through great trials turning towards Allah in humility then we would want Allah to have tested us even more so that we could have wreaped the rewards of being patient and turning towards Allah through trials and hardships. It is only on the day of judgement will we truly realise how much we have missed out on and how much more we wished we were tested by Allah so that our ranks were even higher.

So the Reward of going through terrible trials and hardships immense!

Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "On the Day of Resurrection, when people who have suffered affliction are given their reward, those who are healthy will wish their skins had been cut to pieces with scissors when they were in the world." (Al-Tirmidhi #1570)

So remember: Victory, relief and ease comes with patience through distress and hardship

Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Know that victory comes with patience, relief with distress and ease with hardship.” (Reported by Ahmad)

Never question Allah "Why"?

We must also realise that whatever Allah has decreed for us is the best for us. Therefore we must put our Full trust in Allah and never question Allah as to why he has given us such trials and hardships. So if we are not patient through tests, hardships and trials - many of which may be due to our own actions - like if we complain to Allah why he tested us, then these tests and hardships will be of detriment to us as the condition for gaining such immense reward is through patience and we risk getting major sins instead of major rewards, as well as rsking going further away from Allah instead of closer to him.

We must also remember that Allah will never burden us with that which is not in our capabilities:

“Allah does not burden a soul with more than it can bear.” (Qur’an 2: 286)

Therefore let us realise that the bigger trials and hardships we go through in this life then the more rewards we will gain in the hereafter as long as we are patient and are constantly turning towards Allah.

In the hereafter when we see the rewards of going through trials and hardships then we will all wish that we wen through the WORST trials possible for the longest amount of time!

No amount of guilt can change the past and no amount of worrying can change the future. Go easy on yourself, for the outcome of all affairs is determined by Allah's decree. If something is meant to go elsewhere it will never come your way but if it is yours by destiny from you it cannot flee. (Umar Ibn al-Khattab Radiyallahu Anhu)

May Allah make us patient through adversity, trials and hardships. Ameen

Finally: " Do not detest the misfortunes that befall you, for what you detest may be the cause of your salvation and what you like may be the cause of your ruin." Al-Hasan Al-Basree

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
01-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Trials

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Trials will continue to befall the believing man and woman, with regard to themselves, their children and their wealth, until they meet Allaah with no sin on them.”And what is more beautiful than coming before Allaah with all our sins extinguished? Is this life not but a taste and a short term home? Or would we rather live in short luxury for an eternal suffering? If cleansing of all of our sins is not enough then what is?

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Worshipping at times of tribulation and confusion is like migrating to join me.” And concerning this hadeeth, Imaam Nawawi (rahimahullaah) said: “The reason why worship at such times is of such great virtue is that people become negligent about worship and are distracted from it, and no one focuses on worship except a few.”

May Allaah grant us husnil khaatim (a good ending), Aameen.

Hamza Asadullah
01-30-2011, 01:14 AM
Imam Ibn'l Qayyim (Rahimahullah) said:

The divine decree related to the believer is always a bounty, even if it is in the form of withholding (something that is desired), and it is a blessing, even if it appears to be a trial, and an affliction that has befallen him is in reality a cure, even though it appears to be a disease!

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of the worshipper, and his transgressions, he does not consider anything to be a gift or a blessing or a cure unless he can enjoy it immediately, and it is in accordance with his nature. If he were only given a little bit of understanding, then he would have counted being withheld from as a blessing, and the sickness as a mercy, and he would relish the trouble that befalls him more than he relishes his ease, and he would enjoy poverty more than he enjoys richness, and he would be more thankful when he is blessed with little than when he is blessed with a lot.

Hamza Asadullah
01-30-2011, 03:51 AM
The Comforting words of Allah during hardships and trials

Verily, with the hardship,
there is relief
(i.e. there is one hardship with two reliefs, so one hardship cannot overcome two reliefs). [ Al-Inshirah 94:6]

"Peace unto you for that ye persevered in patience! Now how excellent is the final home!"
Excellent indeed is the final home!" [ Ar-Rad 13:24]

"...Do not regard it an evil to you;
nay, it is good for you...." [An- Nuur 24:11]

"...So put your trust (in Allaah)
if ye are indeed believers." [Al-Maida 5:23]

"O ye who believe!
Seek help in steadfastness
and prayer.
Lo! Allaah is with the steadfast." [Al-Baqarah 2:153]

"And certainly,
We shall test you with something
of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits,
but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
Who, when afflicted with calamity,
say: "Truly! To Allaah we belong
and truly, to Him we shall return." [ Al-Baqara 2: 155~156]

"And He will provide him
from (sources)
He never could imagine.
And whosoever puts his trust in Allaah,
then HE will suffice him.
Verily, Allaah will accomplish his purpose.
Indeed Allaah has set a measure for all things." [ At-Talaq 65:3]

"Verily We have created man
into toil and struggle." [ Al-Balad 90:4]

Know that when you have problems or in difficulty, then it is by Allaah's permission for HE says:

"Say: "Nothing shall ever happen to us
except what Allaah has ordained for us.
He is our Maula (Lord, Helper and Protector)."
And in Allaah
let the believers put their trust." [At-Taubah 9:51]

"No kind of calamity can occur,
except by the leave of Allaah
And if any one believes in Allaah,
{Allaah} guides his heart (aright):
for Allaah knows all things." [At-Taghabun 64:11]

"...There did Allaah give you one distress after another
by way of requital
to teach you not to grieve
for that which had escaped you,
nor for that which had befallen you.
And Allaah is Well Aware of all that you do." [Al-Imran 3:153]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
01-30-2011, 04:14 AM
No amount of guilt can change the past and no amount of worrying can change the future. Go easy on yourself, for the outcome of all affairs is determined by Allah's decree. If something is meant to go elsewhere it will never come your way but if it is yours by destiny from you it cannot flee. (Umar Ibn al-Khattab Radiyallahu Anhu)

Hamza Asadullah
02-22-2011, 02:20 AM
How to overcome Anxiety and Worry

Islam's Treatment for Anxiety and Worry

http://maseeh1.tripod.com/advices7/id150.htm

Overcoming Anxiety

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...EAskTheScholar

How A Muslim Should Deal With Stress and Anxiety: 25 Ways to Deal with Stress and Anxiety

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=1948&CATE=17

Hamza Asadullah
03-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Hardship as a blessing

Sufyaan Athawri (RA) says:

“In our view, a person does not have an understanding of the religion until he thinks of a hardship as being a blessing, and a comfort and luxury as being a hardship.”

Hamza Asadullah
04-15-2011, 03:48 AM
You think you got it bad?

Please watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8ZuKF3dxCY

Hamza Asadullah
05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Absolute Trust in Allah (swt) (Al-Tawakkul A’lal-Allah)

Tawakkul is a fundamental part of the Islamic Aqeedah. Tawakkul is translated here as either trust or dependence. Putting our trust in Allah (swt) is a matter of belief and contributes to our view regarding this life. To make this point clear, some of the Ayahs are quoted as below. Allah (swt) says:

“If Allah helps you, none can overcome you: If He forsakes you, who is there after that, that can help you? In Allah then, let the Believers put their trust.” [EMQ 3: 160]

And Allah (swt) says:

“Say: Nothing will happen to us except what Allah has decreed for us: He is our Protector: And on Allah let the believers put their trust.” [EMQ 9:51]

And Allah (swt) says:

“And put they trust on the exalted in Might, the Merciful.” [EMQ 26:217]

Allah (swt) also says:

“…Then when thou hast taken a decision put they trust in Allah. For Allah loves those who put their trust (in Him)” [EMQ 3:159]

All of the above Ayahs order Muslims to wholly and exclusively to rely on Allah (swt) in their lives. It is only Allah who controls the Universe and both good and bad are His decree. The significant element that should always be kept in mind is the omnipotence of Allah (swt). Therefore our actions and the material resources available to us do not guarantee the outcome of any of our undertakings. For example our material and physical strength may deceive us into believing that victory in a battlefield is inevitable. The truth is that our strength or weakness has no bearing on the outcome of the battle, and it is only by the will of Allah that we become victorious or get defeated by the enemy. It was this firm belief that lead a handful of Muslims during and after the time of the Prophet (saw) to fight so valiantly against a formidable enemy over and over again.

One may ask, why then do we strive to accomplish any task if we cannot influence its outcome? The answer is rather simple. The actions that we take fall into three categories: They are either obligated upon us by Allah (swt), recommended by Him or we are simply allowed to do them. The obligatory actions are taken because Allah (swt) has ordered them as compulsory. The recommended actions are taken to be rewarded in addition to the rewards we get upon accomplishing the fard. In both of these cases we seek to please Allah (swt), Actions falling under the third category are taken to achieve certain objectives we anticipate to fulfil. However, the certainty of accomplishing those objectives is not under our control. Therefore the cause of initiating any action is not whether we control its outcome. It is the anticipated goal we aim to achieve.

This brings us to an important misconception amongst the Muslims where some of the associate effort with having trust in Allah (swt). For example, it is a popular notion that earning provides rizq (sustainence) and Tawakkul in Allah (swt) should come after one has made a sincere effort to earn a living. Some of the Muslims who hold such a view often present the following Hadith in their defence:

A man came to the Prophet (saw) and said, “I will not tie my camel and trust in Allah” The Prophet (saw) said, ‘Tie it and trust in Allah.’

This Hadith does not indicate any prerequisite for trusting Allah (swt). It does not, therefore suggest that somehow there is a link between people tying the camel (an action) and putting ones trust in Allah (swt). However, the Hadith conveys an important lesson to all of us: That while trust in Allah (swt) is absolute being independent of what we do it is our responsibility to act on what we intended to accomplish. In this case tying the camel was a right thing to do if the person feared that the camel would run away. Therefore he should have taken the precaution regardless of his trust in Allah (swt). Tying the camel does not take away from his trust in Allah (swt), irrespective of our efforts and the circumstances surrounding us.

This belief should help us to this life according to the commands of Allah (swt) even if we face hardships in doing so. Disappointment, hopelessness should not daunt us because we have put our trust in Allah (swt), our Creator and the only Sustainer. Many Muslims indulge in the prohibited actions arguing that it is the only alternative; otherwise they would face disastrous consequences. Avid example is giving riba when buying a house on a mortgage. They regard owning a house as a necessity and we are willing to sacrifice Islam in doing so.

They fail to realise that it is only Allah (swt) who provides security for them and their off springs and they need only to put their absolute trust in Him.

Unfortunately the materialistic thought that we have acquired from the Kuffar who depend on material gains for their very survival, has drastically influenced our view towards this life as well… we take pride in our wealth and what we do, and have displaced the trust in Allah (swt) by relying solely on material possessions. May Allah (swt) restore only trust in Him for only then can we truly succeed!

And Allah knows best in all matters

Taken from:

http://unitedummah.wordpress.com/200...ul-alal-allah/

Hamza Asadullah
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
What does it mean to be patient through trials and hardships?

What it means to be patient through hardships is to accept the decree of Allah and not to question it saying: "Why me"? to Allah. We should accept that Allah has inflicted this hardship on us in order to test us so that he may differentiate the strong and firm believer to the weak.

By being patient it also means that we should not complain to others about our hardships trials and misfortunes but we should remain steadfast and thank Allah and ask him to make us patient and fim. We should put all of our trust in Allah and know that he is doing what is best for us.

Patience through hardships removes sins

No Muslim is afflicted with harm because of sickness or some other inconvenience, but that Allah will remove his sins for him as a tree sheds its leaves. (Bukhari)
We should know that these afflictions will disolve our sins like salt dissolves in water and it maybe that on the day of judgement a person who was tested so much that he may little or no sins left.

No one is granted a gift better and more comprehensive than patience. (Bukhari and Muslim)

Patience through prayer

We should ask of Allah to remove our burden as long as it is better for us but those with the firmest of beliefs want to be tested more so that they may gain closeness to Allah because it is trials and hardships which bring a believer closest to Allah.

It is trials and hardships which cause a person to be the best of the believers and gain the highest ranks of Jannah. It is trials and beliefs which make a person a strong firm believer.
O ye who believe! seek help with patient perseverance and prayer: for Allah is with those who patiently persevere. (2:153)

Seek (Allah's) help with patient perseverance and prayer. (2:45)
So when we experience trials and hardships then Allah is wanting us to be patient and persevere and turn towards him in prayer. As well as the 5 daily Salaah we should turn towards him in the latter portions of the night at Tahajjud time for this is a time when Allah showers his mercy the most. We should beg and cry to him and ask of him for forgiveness and also thank him abundantly.

And during part of the night (also) celebrate His praises and (so likewise) after the postures of adoration. (50:40)

But man has been created impatient:
Truly man was created very impatient: fretful when evil touches him, and niggardly when good reaches him. (70:19-21)
There are two categories of people that we should never fall into regarding trials and hardships:

1. One is he who asks of Allah when affliction hits him but when the affliction is over then it is as though Allah never helped him and he hows ungrattitude to Allah.
When trouble touches a man he cries unto Us (in all postures) lying down on his side or sitting or standing. But when We have solved his trouble he passes on his way as if he had never cried to Us for a trouble that touched him! Thus do the deeds of transgressors seem fair in their eyes! (10:12)
2. The second is he who when calamity strikes him he breaks down and becomes indifferent to Allah and his commands as if he is owed a comfortale life.
Among men is he who worships Allah, while remaining on the borderline; if any good befalls him, he is satisfied; but if a trial afflicts him, he utterly turns away. He will incur loss both of this world and the Hereafter. That indeed is a clear loss. (21:11)
The patience of Yaqub (As)

The story of Yaqub (As) or Job (As) is a perfect example of the purpose of tests. He was such a firm and strong believer that shaythan asked Allah to test him that is faith may weaken but even after Yaqub (As) lost everything from wealth, health, wife and family he was even stronger in faith and belief.

Sameway we are tested to see if we will become stronger believers and closer to Allah or whether we will lose our imaan and become closer to shaythan and our nafs (desires).

The best people are those who are tested the most and come out of their tests stronger in faith. Those who were tested the most were the Prophets because they were the best of people.

Hardships and Trials are a blessing in disguise

So if a trial and hardship comes our way then we should see it as a blessing in disguise and should remain patient and steadfast and put our full trust, hopes and reliance in Allah and know that victory will be ours in the end.
Verily with every difficulty, there is relief. (94:6)
Verily, the Hereafter will be better for thee than the present. (93:4)
There are even reward for past trials and hardships:
If any Muslim man or woman suffers a calamity and keeps it in his memory, even if it happened a long time ago, saying each time it is remembered:

Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi raaji'oon

'We belong to Allah and to Him do we return,' Allah, who is Blessed and Exalted will give a fresh reward each time it is said, equivalent to the reward when it happened. (Ahmad)

Life is a test ground

So we need to view this life as a test ground and tests and calamitys as ways of Allah the main examiner testing us to see how well we will be able to do in this test.

Imam Ibn'l Qayyim (Rahimahullah) said:
The divine decree related to the believer is always a bounty, even if it is in the form of withholding (something that is desired), and it is a blessing, even if it appears to be a trial, and an affliction that has befallen him is in reality a cure, even though it appears to be a disease!

Unfortunately, due to the ignorance of the worshipper, and his transgressions, he does not consider anything to be a gift or a blessing or a cure unless he can enjoy it immediately, and it is in accordance with his nature. If he were only given a little bit of understanding, then he would have counted being withheld from as a blessing, and the sickness as a mercy, and he would relish the trouble that befalls him more than he relishes his ease, and he would enjoy poverty more than he enjoys richness, and he would be more thankful when he is blessed with little than when he is blessed with a lot.
We should realise that we are only going to be tested for a very short while compared to the eternal rewards that await us as after death we can enjoy the fruits of our patience FOREVER!

May Allah enable us to be steadfast and patient through trials and hardships and come out firmer and stronger believers. Ameen

Hamza Asadullah
07-10-2011, 11:48 PM
10 Ways To Overcome Sadness

1. Live for each new day:

Know that whatever you have gone through in your past is gone and will never come back: So everyday is a new and fresh day. Yesterday is a distance memory and today is what matters. Therefore live for today and live for each new and fresh day and do not think about yesterday as it is gone and do not think too much about tomorrow for it may never come.

2. Each second that goes by we will never get back again:

Know that each second is a true blessing and every second that ticks by can never again be regained so why should we waste our precious time being sad when our sadness will not change anything and will not benefit us in anyway but that which will benefit us in this world and the next is our good deeds.

So Think to yourself: "Why am i wasting my precious seconds being down when i will NEVER get back these seconds again. So there is NO time to for me to be down for my time is so little and it may end at any second".

3. Know that our life is pre-destined:

Whatever will happen will happen so there is no point being down when our sadness will not affect the outcome od our destiny.

So think to yourself: "Why am i wasting this precious time being upset when everything is pre-destined so whatever will happen will happen so there is NO point me being down about it".

4. Think of your death:

Surely death wakes us up into the true reality of our life that we are living to die. Each second that goes by is closer to our death. So why should we be sad when we know our purpose in this life and so we should do EVERYTHING to fulfill that purpose and that means not waste a second on that which will not benefit us in this life or the next.

Therefore there is NO point being sad and when we are sad then we should remind ourselves of death and that we will end up in the grave with nothing but our deeds so we should do everything to please Allah and prepare for our daths for sadness will just waste our time and hold us back from fulfilling the very purpose of our life and making the best of the life we have.

5. Think of the hereafter:

Think about the time when the sun will be SO close to the Earth. When When you will stand with every creation in the universe and be ready to face Allah with your deeds. This will encourage you to get up and snap out of your sadness and realise that you have to prepare for that day when you will face Allah just you and your deeds! So what point is there being sad? Will it help us when we face Allah on the day of judgement? NO but doing good deeds will!

6. Look at those who have less than you:

When you are sad then just look at those who have less than you. Look at what you have been given in comparison to them. You have food on a plate 3 times a day whereas they struggle to get a crumb of flour.

You drink out of purified tap water when they drink from dirty contaminated water full of disease. Others do not even have a drop to drink for several days.

You have shelter and heated homes whereas they live in a tent and refuge camp. They have nothing to keep them sheltered whereas you have four walls with a roof.

You have wealth that you can buy all the luxuries in the world whereas they can only dream of what you have.

So look at those with less and those who have nothing. Then know how lucky you are so should you really be sad? Instead thank Allah and spend in his path that he may give you more in this world and the hereafter.

7. Appreciate that you have been given imaan(faith)out of so many:

You could have been born in any era and in any faith or religion. You could have been of those who were misguided. You could have been of those who were not favoured by Allah but you have been given the most special gift of ALL imaan!

Therefore appreciate it and thank Allah for it night and day. Why would you be sad when you have been favoured out of countless others?

8. Make dua to Allah:

Whenever you are down then make dua to Allah. Turn to him in the latter part of the night when he will attend to you quicker. Turn to him when others are deep in their sleep. Turn to him in humility, meekness and humbleness. Turn to him knowing that he is listening. Turn to him knowing he is the closest to you. Turn to him knowing he cares and he truly loves you.

Cry to him and beg of him to forgive you. Ask of him to fulfill your needs but at the same time trust in him that he will do what is best for you. If he wants you to be patient then be patient for you will get SO MUCH BETTER IN RETURN!

Turn to him knowing he WILL answer your prayer, if not now, then tomorrow. If not tomorrow then in the hereafter and that is when we will be rewarded most for our dua's and we would wish that NO dua was accepted so that we recieved EVERY reward for our dua in the hereafter.

9. Make pleasing Allah the source of your pleasure in this life:

If we make pleasing Allah the source of our pleasure in this life then HOW can we ever be sad? When we live each day to have a highflying career we will never be fully satisfied no matter where our career is because we always want to have a better career.

When we live for money then we will never be satisfied because we always want more and will always try new ventures and ways in order to get more and more.

When we live for other people then they will always let us down in one way or another.

But if we live to please Allah and do good deeds that will make us feel closer to him then what better pleasure is there in life.

So when you are feeling sad then think: "Let me get up and do good in order to please Allah for that is my source of true happiness in this life"

So make EVERYDAY a day when you will want to please Allah more than yesterday. When you are sad then turn to Allah and make him the source of your true happiness. Make the pleasure of pleasing him the means of you NEVER becoming sad again.

10. RELY ON ALLAH:

Most of all rely on Allah. Know that he is there for you and closer to you than your jugular vein. Know that he knows you better than you know yourself. Know that he loves you more than any soul ever could. Know that he is there for you when others arent. Know that he will never let you down when others will. Know that whatever you go through in life.

So put your FULL trust, faith and reliance in him and know that is is ALWAYS there so trust in him.

May Allah enable us to do everything to please him and to put our full trust in him. Ameen

Yanal
08-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Asalam alaikum,

Masha'Allaah,great reading. I must ask did you write that? :)
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Bismillahirahmaaniraheem

In the name of Allah most compassionate most merciful

The way we can get through hardships and difficult tests that we may be going through in life is to firstly internalise in our minds that this life is a test ground and we are in an examination but we do not know when this examination will end but whilst the examination is taking place we are being rigorously tested and at times we are tested until breaking piont just to see whether or not we will turn towards Allah or go away from him.

We must also internalise that Allah ONLY tests those who he wants close to him. Therefore the tests that we go through in our lives clearly show Allah is wanting us to turn towards him and be closer to him. This is in fact a great privelage. The greater the tests we go through the more Allah is wanting to raise our ranks in the hereafter.

Therefore if we really want to know the best way to approach huge trials and tests then we should simply realise that the bigger the tests we are going through then the higher Allah is wanting to raise our ranks in the hererafter. Trials are a truly blessing in disguise. All Allah wants from us is for us to turn towards him in meekness and humbleness and for us to be patient and to turn to him in prayer and dua. Picture that fact that Allah loves it when his servant is in desperate need, crying to him for help for Allah tends to those who cry and sob to him immediatley just as a mother tends to its baby promptly when it is crying.

We should also internalise the fact that tests actually differentiate us believers from one another in terms of ranking in the eyes of Allah and therefore we should know that those who are tested and are patient are forgiven of their sins as sins falls off a person who is patient through trials just. Therefore we should realise that us being tested with trials and tests will NEVER go unrewarded for Allah rewards how much he wants to those who are patient through trials and those who turn towards him in humility and meekness.

It may be that a person who has experienced great trials in the world faces Allah on the day of judgement with little or no sins. So tests are a way of Allah forgiving a person of their sins so that on the day of judgement they have a much lighter load. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) has called the day of judgement a "terrible" day and surely on this terrible day we would want as less sins as possible in our accounts if we are to be successful. Therefore these trials and tests are very important for us because they enable us to be forgiven for countless sins that would be a huge burden on us if it were in our accounts but due to the huge tests we faced with patience turning to Allah then it may be that we have very little or no sins at all on that day. The greater the trial the more sins fall off us. So know that even a prick of a thorn expiates ones sins.

We should also approach hardships and tests as in that it is the decree of Allah so we should NEVER ask Allah "Why" has he given us such trials? For questioning Allah why he has decreed something will mean that not only have we gone through so much grief and torment from these trials but that we have actually added to our sins by questioning Allah and we will be accountable for that.

Patience is one of the greatest attributes a person can acquire and Allah is with those who are patient and the reward for Patience is Paradise!

If one is patient, and is among the ones described in the following manner in the Qur’an (Baqarah, 2: 256)

Who say, when afflicted with calamity: “To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return”:-

Then here are the rewards Allah will give that person (2:157):

The Rewards of Patience are the folowing:

1. Blessings from Allah: The patient person is blessed by Allah.

2. Mercy of Allah: When Allah gives someone His Mercy, He will let him enter paradise with His Mercy.

3. Guidance of Allah: A patient person will be guided by Allah in this world until he meets Him on the Day of Judgment.

Referring to those who are tested and endure with Sabr or patience all of the above three rewards are mentioned by Allah Himself in the Qur’an in Surah Baqarah (2: 157):

“They are those on whom (Descend) blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.”

In Surah Hud (11:11), Allah (S.W.T.) again promises to reward those who are patient in adversity.

Therefore let us realise that patience is the main thing Allah is looking for in us when we are going through trials and tests.

Here are two wonderful examples of patience through trials in the life of the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) :

‘Ata ibn Rabah related that he heard Ibn ‘Abbas say: “Shall I show you a woman of Paradise?”I said: “Yes, indeed.” He said: “A black woman came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and said: ‘I suffer from epileptic fits, and because of these, (at times) my body becomes uncovered. Would you invoke Allah, the Exalted One, to cure me of this disease? ‘ The Prophet, peace be upon him, said: ‘If you wish, you can be patient and you will attain Paradise (for this suffering). But if you prefer, I will pray to Allah, the Exalted, to cure you of it?’ The woman said: ‘I will be patient,’ then added: ‘I become uncovered (when I have fits), so invoke Allah for me that I do not become uncovered. ‘ So the Prophet, peace be upon him, prayed for her.” [Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, volume 4, #1a]

Story of ‘Urwah Ibn Al Zubair

‘Urwah Ibn Al Zubair had an operation, and the doctor amputated his leg. One friend came to visit him. ‘Urwah thought that the fried came to pacify him for the loss of his leg. So ‘Urwah told the visitor: If you came to give me condolence for the loss of my leg, I already submitted to Allah with patience to reward me for its loss. The guest told him, I came to inform you that your son fell down in a stable, and the animals stepped over him, and he died one hour ago. ‘Urwah said: O Allah! You took one child, and left me many…You took one organ from my body, and left me many organs…O Allah! You tested me with my body, and you were kind to leave me with good health. You tested me with the loss of my son, but you were kind in leaving me the rest of my children.

We should also approach tests as in we should look at those who have less than us. We have clean tap water and food on our plates everyday. We have clean clothes washed regularly and shelter from the harsh weather. Whereas there are those who walk miles just for a sip of water and even then it is dirty. There are those who have the same clothes for years and cannot even wash them. There are those who go days without proper food and even then they have scraps and end up being malnourished. There are those like in the flood disaster recently who have no shelter and are exposed to terrible diseases. Those who have little or no money to buy even basic things aswell as medication for their sick family members. Rasulallah (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) always told us to look at those who have less than us.

Sometims when we go through great trials we get decieved into thinking that other people that we see around us must be living a life happy and content. We are wrong to think in this way for we do not know what goes on in peoples lives. There are many examples of those who seemed as though they have SO much and seemed so happy but when certain things were revealed then it was clear that those people were living miserable lives full of torment! We may look at a person with a smile on his face but he may be going through trials we can never imagine.

Therefore when we are going through difficult times and trials then we should not look at others and think they are happy and living fulfilled lives for we do not know what any person on the street is going through on a day to day basis.

Therefore whenever we are going through difficult times and trials then we should put our full trust, hopes, faith and reliance in Allah for he will NEVER let us down but is only testing us because he wants us to turn towards him in humility, humbleness and meekness and he wants us to get much closer to him. He tests a person because he wants good for them and wants to forgive them and raise their ranks in the hereafter.

In reality how lucky is a person who is being tested greatly and is still patient and turning towards Allah night and day. How hig must Allah be raising his ranks and forgiving his sins on a daily basis until he is like a new born baby who has little or no sins on him at all. So the way to approach this is to realise that a person who is being tested greatly is in fact lucky but shaythan is wanting one to think opposite.

Shaythan is our eternal sworn enemy and ONLY wants us to lose hope and faith and to go away from Allah. He wants us tobecome disillusioned and lose all hope so that we go away from Alah and our deen. But we should reject our enemy who only wants our destruction. We should disregard his evil whispers and know that they are only lies and deciet.

Shaythan will try to make us think that there is no way out of this and this is because he wants us to give in and lose hope. But we must realise that if we continuously strive and keep turning towards Allah and be patient then the final victory WILL be ours! We will taste the sweetness of victory but in order to taste this victory we need to fight and strive through the tests and trials that life throws at us!

If one who is going through great trials continues to turn towards Allah in humility, meekness and in humblenes then know that the reward one will gain will be unimaginable. On the day of judgement once we see the reward of being patient through great trials turning towards Allah in humility then we would want Allah to have tested us even more so that we could have wreaped the rewards of being patient and turning towards Allah through trials and hardships. It is only on the day of judgement will we truly realise how much we have missed out on and how much more we wished we were tested by Allah so that our ranks were even higher.

So the Reward of going through terrible trials and hardships immense!

Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah Allah's Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said, "On the Day of Resurrection, when people who have suffered affliction are given their reward, those who are healthy will wish their skins had been cut to pieces with scissors when they were in the world." (Al-Tirmidhi #1570)

So remember: Victory, relief and ease comes with patience through distress and hardship

Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, "Know that victory comes with patience, relief with distress and ease with hardship.” (Reported by Ahmad)

Therefore let us realise that the bigger trials and hardships we go through in this life then the more rewards we will gain in the hereafter as long as we are patient and are constantly turning towards Allah.

In the hereafter when we see the rewards of going through trials and hardships then we will all wish that we wen through the WORST trials possible for the longest amount of time!

May Allah make us patient through adversity, trials and hardships. Ameen

Finally: " Do not detest the misfortunes that befall you, for what you detest may be the cause of your salvation and what you like may be the cause of your ruin." Al-Hasan Al-Basree

Hamza Asadullah
08-04-2011, 02:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanal
Asalam alaikum,

Masha'Allaah,great reading. I must ask did you write that? :)
Asalaamu Alaikum, yes brother i write my own articles only by the will of Allah. May he make them most beneficial for all and make them a cause for our salvation. Ameen

Hamza Asadullah
08-23-2011, 05:31 PM
The House of Praise built for those who are patient when great affliction hits them:

It is narrated in the Hadith that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: "When a man's child dies, Allah, may He be exalted, says to His angels:

'Have you taken the soul of the child of My slave?'

They say, 'Yes.'

He says, although He knows best, 'Have you taken the apple of his eye?'

They say, 'Yes.'

He says: 'What did My slave say?"

They say: 'He praised You and said

"Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi Raji'un"

(Verily to Allah we belong and unto Him is our return).'

Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, says: 'Build a house for My slave in Paradise and call it the house of praise.'"

[al-Tirmidhi].

Hamza Asadullah
08-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Saying "Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi Raji'un"and asking Allah to give you something better in retun for loss:

Umm Salamah (RA) said: I heard the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) say:

"There is no person who is afflicted with a calamity and says:

'Verily to Allah we belong and unto Him is our return. O Allah, reward me for my affliction and compensate me with something better'

- but that Allah will reward him for his affliction and compensate him with something better."

She said: When Abu Salamah died, I said: Who is better than Abu Salamah, the companion of the Messenger of Allah? Then Allah caused me to say it and I said it.

She said: Then I married the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him).

Subhanallah Allah truly does give a person better in return!

Hamza Asadullah
12-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Do not despair

Hamza Asadullah
01-24-2012, 07:09 AM
Always be hopeful of Allah's mercy

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited
island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him.

Every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming.
Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to
protect himself from the elements, and to store his few possessions. But
then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little
hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky.

The worst had happened , everything was lost. He was stunned with grief and
anger. "God, how could you do this to me?" he cried. Early the next day,
however, he was wakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the
island. It had come to rescue him. "How did you know I was here?" asked the
weary man of his rescuers. "We saw your smoke signal," they replied.

It's easy to get discouraged sometimes when things appear to be going badly.
But we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in
the midst of pain and suffering. Remember, next time your little hut is
burning to the ground, it just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace
of God.

For all the negative things, we have to say to ourselves, God has a positive
answer for it. Pass this on, you never know whose life may be in need of
this today. Believe me, there are some days when we all feel that our huts
are burning.

Hamza Asadullah
02-07-2012, 04:35 AM
Lessons Learned from the Story of Prophet Ayoub / Job (As)

Prophet Ayoub (Alaihi-salam – May be peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was one of Allah’s very sincere worshippers. We find in his story many lessons that we can reflect upon to assess our relationship with Allah. This story especially should make us question whether all our sincerity and worship for Allah is dependent on His blessings on us.
The following story was documented by Ibn Kathir.
Prophet Ayoub (A) was Allah’s thankful, repentant, patient and steadfast worshipper. Allah the Almighty has praised Him in the Quran thus:

"Truly! We found him patient. How excellent a slave! Verily, he was ever oft-returning in repentance to Us" (Saad 38:44).

Ibn Kathir narrates that once Iblis (satan) heard an angel praising Ayoub (A) to other angels, extolling his noble character, patience and remembrance of Allah and describing him as “the best creature on earth today, and an excellent model for the worshippers of Allah.” The angel also added that Allah had blessed him with long life and plenty of riches, yet he was never haughty or selfish. His family, servants, the needy and the poor, all had a share in his good fortune. He bought slaves to set them free and made those who received his charity feel as if they were doing him a favor.

Overhearing all this, Iblis became annoyed and planned to tempt Ayoub (A) and lead him to disbelief. First, he tried to distract him from his prayers by whispering to him about the good things in life, but as a true believer, Ayoub would not let evil thoughts tempt him. Iblis, then tried to attribute ulterior motives to his constant glorification of Allah, projecting his worship as being motivated from greed to safeguard his wealth. Iblis thus said to Allah, "If You deprive him of his wealth You will find that he will no longer mention Your name and his praying will stop."

Allah told Iblis that Ayoub (A) was one of His most sincere devotees whose worship stemmed from his heart and had nothing to do with material gifts or favors granted to him. To prove His devotee’s depth of sincerity and patience, Allah allowed Iblis to do whatever he wished with Ayoub (A)’s wealth.

Delighted, Iblis gathered his helpers and set about destroying Ayoub (A)’s cattle, servants and farms, depriving him of all his possessions. Then in the guise of a wise old man he approached him and said:

"All your wealth is lost. Some people say that it is because you gave too much charity and that you are wasting your time with your continuous prayers to Allah. Others say that Allah has brought this upon you in order to please your enemies. If Allah had the capacity to prevent harm, then He would have protected your wealth."

Steadfast in his faith, Ayoub (A) replied: "What Allah has taken away from me belongs to Him. I was only its trustee for a while. He gives to whom He wills and withholds from whom He wills,” and he prostrated before his Lord.

Frustrated with his failure, Iblis again addressed Allah:

"I have stripped Ayoub (A) of all his possessions, but he still remains grateful to You. However, he is only hiding his disappointment, for he places great store by his many children. The real test of a parent is through his children. You will then see how Ayoub (A) will reject You."

Allah again granted Iblis authority, but warned him that it would reduce neither Ayoub (A)’s faith in his Lord nor his patience.

Iblis gathered his helpers and brought the house in which Ayoub (A)’s children were living, crashing down, killing all of them. Disguised as a man who had come to sympathize with him, he said:

"The circumstances under which your children died were sad. Surely, your Lord is not rewarding you properly for all your prayers."
The faithful believer of Allah replied, disappointing Iblis once again:

"Allah sometimes gives and sometimes takes. He is sometimes pleased and sometimes displeased with our deeds. Whether a thing is beneficial or harmful to me, I will remain firm in my belief and remain thankful to my Creator."

Saying this he prostrated to his Lord. Extremely vexed, Iblis again called on Allah:

"O my Lord, Ayoub (A)’s wealth is gone and his children are dead, but he is still healthy in body, and as long as he enjoys good health he will continue to worship You in the hope of regaining his wealth and producing more children. Grant me authority over his body so that I may weaken it. He will surely stop worshipping You and will thus become disobedient."

Allah granted Iblis his third request but placed a condition:

"I give you authority over his body but not over his soul, intellect, or heart, for in these places reside the knowledge of Me and My religion."

Armed with this new authority, Iblis afflicted Ayoub (A)’s body with disease, reducing it to mere skin and bone. He suffered severe pain yet remained strong in faith, and patiently bore all the suffering without complaints. Hopeful of Allah’s Mercy, he neither despaired nor turned to others for help. Although he had lost all his children and was deprived of his wealth and physically afflicted, he still continued to glorify Allah the Almighty day and night. His disease lasted for a long time. His friends felt disgusted and his close relatives deserted him. The sole companion and comforter through many years of his suffering was his kind and loving wife.

Iblis became desperate. He consulted his helpers but they asked him:

"How is it that your cleverness cannot work against Ayoub (A), yet you succeeded in misleading Adam, the father of man, out of paradise?"

Iblis went to Ayoub (A)’s wife in the form of a man. "Where is your husband?" he asked her.

She pointed to an almost lifeless form crumpled on the bed and said: "There he is, suspended between life and death."

Iblis reminded her of the days when he had enjoyed good health, wealth and children. The painful memory of years of hardship overwhelmed her. She burst into tears and asked her husband:

"How long are you going to bear this torture from our Lord? Are we to remain without wealth, children or friends forever? Why don’t you call upon Allah to remove this suffering?"

Ayoub (A) sighed, and replied softly:

"Iblis must have whispered to you and made you dissatisfied. Tell me, how long did I enjoy good health and riches?"

She replied, "For eighty years."

Then he asked, "How long have I been suffering like this?"

She said, "Seven years."

Then he told her: "In that case I am ashamed to call on my Lord to remove the hardship, for I have not suffered longer than the years of good health and plenty that I enjoyed. Your faith seems to have weakened and you are dissatisfied with the fate decreed by Allah. If I ever regain health, I swear I will punish you with a hundred strokes! From this day, I shall not eat or drink anything from your hand. Leave me alone and let my Lord do with me as He pleases."
Crying bitterly, with no other choice, she left with a heavy heart. In his helpless state, Ayoub (A) turned to Allah, not to complain but to seek His mercy:

"And (remember) Ayyub (Job), when he cried to his Lord: ‘Verily, distress has seized me, and You are the Most Merciful of all those who show mercy.’ So We answered his call, and We removed the distress that was on him, and We restored his family to him (that he had lost) and the like thereof along with them as a mercy from Ourselves and a Reminder for all those who worship Us” (Al-Anbiya 21:83-84).
Almighty Allah further says in the Quran:

"And remember Our slave Ayyub (Job), when he invoked his Lord (saying): ‘Verily Shaitan (Satan) has touched me with distress (by ruining my health) and torment (by ruining my wealth)!’ (Allah said to him): "Strike the ground with your foot: This is (a spring of) water to wash in, and a cool and (refreshing) drink." And We gave him (back) his family, and along with them the like thereof, as a Mercy from Us, and a Reminder for those who understand (Sad 38:41-43).

Ayoub (A) obeyed Allah’s instructions, and almost immediately his good health was restored. Meanwhile, his faithful wife who could no longer bear to be parted from her husband returned to beg his forgiveness, and to serve him. On entering the house, she was amazed at the sudden change she saw. Ayoub (A) had regained his health! She embraced him and thanked Allah for His mercy.

Ayoub (A) was now worried about the oath he had taken to punish her with a hundred strokes if he regained health. He did not wish to hurt her but could not break a promise to Allah. Therefore, Allah in His wisdom and mercy, came to the assistance of His faithful servant, and instructed him:

"And take in your hand a bundle of thin grass and strike therewith (your wife), and break not your oath" (Sad 38:44).
Thus Allah the Most Merciful rewards His faithful and grateful servants.

Source: Ibn Kathir
This story should remind us that we should never make our worship and sincerity toward Allah contingent on our perceived blessings. Allah tests us in many ways and we should, therefore, be steadfast in His worship constantly.

Source: http://www.iqrasense.com/islamic-his...oub-job-a.html

Hamza Asadullah
03-02-2012, 03:44 AM
The similtude of a believer when trials and calamities disturb him

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "The example of a
believer is that of a fresh green plant the leaves of which move in
whatever direction the wind forces them to move, and when the wind becomes
still, it stands straight. Such is the similitude of the believer: He is
disturbed by calamities (but like the fresh plant he regains his normal
state soon). And the example of a disbeliever is that of a pine tree (which
remains) hard and straight till Allah cuts it down when He wills."

Bukhari Vol. 9 : No. 558

Hamza Asadullah
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
From patience comes victory!

When you are going through something very hard and you start wondering where Allah is, then just remember, the teacher is always quite during a test - Nouman Ali Khan

Therefore let us realise that Almighty Allah knows everything that what we are going through and the pain and anguish that we are feeling but he is quite for a while in order to see how we will react. Will we be patient and remain patient for his pleasure and get closer to him or will we become restless and impatient and go further away from him.

Know that Allah is with those who are patient though they may not know it. Therefore we must fully trust and rely on him and know that after much patience will certainly come victory for this is the promise of Allah and Allah ALWAYS keeps his promises!

Hamza Asadullah
11-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Never lose hope in Allah

by Abu Muhammad Yusuf

The journey of life can be like a roller coaster. We often experience extreme conditions which create despondency and hopelessness. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is reported to have said: “Verily, if Allah loves a people, He makes them go through trials. Whoever is satisfied, for him is contentment, and whoever is angry upon him is wrath.” (Hadith-Tirmidhi)

We have to try hard to embrace the struggles of life and Trust in Allah. There’s no development without pain. Life’s difficulties are necessary for our own development, so when they come along, accept them, embrace them and never ever lose hope and always place complete Reliance and Trust in Allah. Problems are to the mind what exercise is to the muscles; they toughen and make you strong.

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for Allah to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. He nevertheless remained hopeful of Allah’s help and continued his praying every day.

Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements and to store his few possessions. But then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky.

The “worst” had happened; everything was lost. He was stunned with grief. “Allah, how could this happen to me!” he cried. Early the next day, just before Fajr Salaah (early morning prayer) he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. “How did you know I was here?” the man asked the sailors on the ship. “We saw your smoke signal,” they replied.

Allah says “…Bear with patience whatever befalls you….” (Qur’an 31:17) and “Be not sad, surely Allah is with us.” (Qur’an 9:40)

It is easy to get discouraged when things are going badly. But we shouldn’t lose heart, because Allah is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering. Allah Ta’ala says “Verily, with hardship there is relief” (Qur’an 94:6) and “And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him”. ( Qur’an 65:3)

Remember, next time your little hut is burning to the ground–it just may be a smoke signal that summons The Grace and help of Allah!

Source: http://muslimvillage.com/2012/10/25/...ign=newsletter 25th Oct 2012

~Zaria~
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

A beautiful lecture by Mufti Ismail Menk on this topic.

Are we passing or failing or tests in life?......

Examinations of Sabr...Pass or Fail 1of2

Examinations of Sabr...Pass or Fail 2of2

:wa:

Hamza Asadullah
12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
Why Me? The Quran answers!

by Abu Mohammed

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHY WAS I TESTED ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, “We believe”, and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false.”Surah Al-Ankabut (29:2-3)

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHY I NEVER GET WHAT I WANT ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“It is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.”
Surah Al-Baqarah (2:216)

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHY WAS I BURDENED THIS WAY ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns.”

Surah Al-Baqarah (2:286)

“So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief: (repeated) Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.”

Surah Al-Insyirah (94:5-6)

WE ASK : WHY AM I LOSING HOPE ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“So lose not heart, nor fall into despair: For ye must gain mastery if ye are true in Faith.”
Surah Al-Imran (3:139)

WE ALWAYS ASK : HOW CAN I FACE IT ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“O ye who believe! Persevere in patience and constancy; vie in such perseverance; strengthen each other; and fear Allah. that ye may prosper.”
Surah Al-Imraan (3:200)

“Nay, seek (Allah’s) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit.” Surah Al-Baqarah ayat (2:45)

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHAT DO I GET FROM ALL THESE ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise)…” Surah At-Taubah (9:111)

WE ALWAYS ASK : TO WHOM COULD I DEPEND ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“(Allah) sufficeth me: there is no god but He: On Him is my trust,- He the Lord of the Throne (of Glory) Supreme.” Surah At-Taubah (9:129

WE ALWAYS ASK : I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE !

AL-QURAN ANSWERS :

“…and never give up hope of Allah’s Soothing Mercy; truly No one despairs of Allah’s Soothing Mercy, except Those who have no faith.” Surah Yusuf (9:87)

“Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives All sins for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”Surah A-Zumar (39:53)

Source: muftisays.com

Hamza Asadullah
01-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Why does God allow bad things to happen?

Importance of the Question

Since you live in the 21st century, it is very probable that you have at least come across, if not been influenced by, what is known as “the problem of evil”. You might have heard it at school or work after someone was murdered: “How could God allow this to happen?!” You see it in articles and blog posts after the bombardment of an entire village: “What kind of God would allow these things to happen?!”

You will even find it in intellectual circles and philosophy books: “If there really were a perfectly good, all-knowing, all-powerful God, then there would be no evil and suffering in the world.”

This so-called problem is one of the most common arguments that skeptics use to deny the existence of God. They assume that they have found an Achilles heel in the religions that believe in God. The common picture we have in our minds is of the skeptic atheist calmly presenting a logical, intellectual, and scientific argument while the religiously-inclined defendant becomes emotionally charged and tries to beat around the bush. However, the strength of this argument does not, in any way, have to do with logic or rationale but rather is emotionally charged to the core and attempts to hijack any sensitive event it can find. Nor is it a new question. In fact, we find the angels asking something similar even before man was created: “When your Lord told the angels, ‘I am putting a deputy on earth,’ they said, ‘How can you put someone there who will cause damage and bloodshed, when we celebrate Your praise and proclaim Your holiness?’ but he said, ‘I know what you know not.’” Qur’an 2:30 In other words, God was asked, “Why would you allow this human, who will do bad things, to exist? Why not create someone who won’t do anything bad, like us?” The answer was, “I understand the wisdom in what I am doing, and you don’t.”

Exploding the Myth

That, in a nutshell, is the answer to the so-called problem. There is no logical contradiction between God being Infinitely Good, Infinitely Powerful, and allowing bad things to happen. The idea that the evil and suffering in the world present an unanswerable challenge to believers is finally being admitted by more open-minded researchers. Stump and Murray make the following confession in their book, Philosophy of Religion: The Big Questions: “The logical problem of evil has been severely criticized in recent years and is regarded in the contemporary literature on the subject as largely discredited. In brief, the problem with this argument is that it assumes something false. Specifically, it assumes that a good being would prevent every evil it can under any circumstances…Thus, at best, the logical problem of evil shows us that if God exists, the only evil that exists is evil for which there is some good reason.”

The rhetorical questions now change to inquisitive questions. Rather than blurting out, “How could God do that?! What kind of God does these things?!” the question now is “Why is the world this way and what wisdom lies in that?”

Life is a Test

The secret to understanding the issue is so simple that it often eludes us. Life is a test. Man has been given a limited free will to do good or bad. Look at the following statement of the Prophet: “The life of a believer is truly amazing. Everything that happens to him is good. This is only true for a believer and none else. If something pleasant happens to him, he is thankful and that is good for him. If something bad afflicts him, he is patient and that is also good for him.” (Muslim) Affliction is part of the test of life. If God were to interfere and prevent every bad thing from happening to each individual, it would be like taking the test away from a student. Saying that the bad that exists in the world is necessary does not mean that it is justified or praiseworthy. Believers are always commanded to enjoin the good and forbid the evil, which is another test in itself.

Wisdom is behind the scenes

Skeptics tend to focus on the negative aspects of things and claim that evil and suffering are ugly facts of life while believers try to see the bigger picture and find an explanation for the existence of such things. It is like someone who observes two people fighting and judges that both of them are in the wrong without thinking that one of them may be defending himself or standing up for justice. Evil is, to an extent, relative. A juicy hamburger may be a good thing for someone who’s hungry, but it’s definitely a bad thing for the cow that was slaughtered.

God said: “Fighting is ordained for you, though you dislike it. You may dislike something although it is good for you, or like something although it is bad for you: God knows and you do not.” Qur’an 2:216

Being able to see the big picture often affects how we perceive what is good and bad. Someone with little foresight may claim that the injection of a vaccine into a patient, which contains traces of disease, is a bad thing while the injection of heroin, which leads to euphoria, is a good thing. Not being able to understand that the vaccine will help develop immunity to that disease or that taking heroin will develop into a drug addiction is due to a lack of medical knowledge and experience. The following principle is demonstrated in the Qur’an with the meeting between Moses and a man who was given direct knowledge from God about the unseen. Moses wanted to follow him and learn from him, but the man warned him, “You will not be able to bear with me patiently. How could you be patient in matters beyond your knowledge?” But Moses convinced him to let him tag along. Here is the rest of

The story:

“They travelled on. Later, when they got into a boat, and the man made a hole in it, Moses said, ‘How could you make a hole in it? Do you want to drown its passengers? What a strange thing to do!’…Then, when they met a young boy and the man killed him, Moses said, ‘How could you kill an innocent person? He has not killed anyone! What a terrible thing to do!’…Then, when they came to a town and asked the inhabitants for food but were refused hospitality, they saw a wall there that was on the point of falling down and the man repaired it. Moses said, ‘But if you wished you could have taken payment for doing that.’ He said, ‘This is where you and I part company. I will tell you the meaning of the things you could not bear with patiently: the boat belonged to some needy people who made their living from the sea and I damaged it because I knew that coming after them was a king who was seizing every [serviceable] boat by force. The young boy had parents who were people of faith, and so, fearing he would trouble them through wickedness and disbelief, we wished that their Lord should give them another child-purer and more compassionate-in his place. The wall belonged to two young orphans in the town and there was buried treasure beneath it belonging to them. Their father had been a righteous man, so your Lord intended them to reach maturity and then dig up their treasure as a mercy from your Lord. I did not do [these things] of my own accord: these are the explanations for those things you could not bear with patience.’” (Qur’an, 18:71-82). It was the lack of knowledge and foresight that led Moses to object to what the man did. Likewise, we find ourselves, as limited humans, in similar situations. However, we do have enough insight to see some of the wisdoms behind the general occurrences of bad things.

What good reasons could there be for evil?

1. Suffering and affliction often help return us to the obedience of God. God said: “We sent messengers before you [Prophet] to many communities and afflicted their people with suffering and hardships, so that they might learn humility. If only they had learned humility when suffering came from Us! But no, their hearts became hard…” (Qur’an 6:42-43) There is a lesson in the conversion of the famous rock star, Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam. He related the story himself: “After a year of financial success and high living, I became very ill. I contracted T.B. (tuberculosis) and had to be hospitalized. It was then that I started to think; what is going to happen to me? Am I just a body? Is my goal in life merely to satisfy this body? I realized this calamity was a blessing given to me by God and a chance to open my eyes, to learn ‘Why I am here, why I am in bed.’ I started looking for some of the answers.”

2. It differentiates between the good and bad people.

God said:
“Do people think they will be left alone after saying, ‘We believe’ without being put to the test? We tested those who went before them: God will certainly mark out which ones are truthful and which are lying.” (Qur’an 29:2-3) Upon analysis, we realize that the Prophets, who are the highest in rank in the sight of God, faced the most difficult tests of all people. Clearly, merit must be earned.
3. Affliction is necessary to experience its opposite feelings of joy and achievement.

God said: “With hardship comes ease. Indeed, with hardship comes ease.” (Qur’an, 94:5-6)

The appreciation of ease and comfort could only exist and be appreciated if the feelings of hardship also existed and were known or experienced. In Chinese Philosophy, the concept of yin and yang is employed to explain this phenomenon. Each part is necessary to understand the unity of the whole. They are in equilibrium: if one disappears, the other must disappear as well, leaving emptiness.

Conclusion

It should be patently clear that the inability to see the wisdom behind something should not be a cause of criticizing that thing. Of course, the final word on all of this is that God knows best.

Source: http://www.suhaibwebb.com/islam-stud...-mustafa-umar/

Adaminmy
09-06-2014, 01:44 AM
The believer’s attitude towards calamities:

Calamities and disasters are a test, and they are a sign of Allaah’s love for a person, because they are like medicine: even though it is bitter, despite its bitterness you give it to the one whom you love – and for Allaah is the highest description. In the saheeh hadeeth it says: “The greatest reward comes with the greatest trial. When Allaah loves a person He tests them. Whoever accepts that wins His pleasure but whoever is discontent with that earns His wrath.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2396) and Ibn Maajah (4031); classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Calamities are good for the believer in the sense that reward is stored up for him the Hereafter thereby; how can it be otherwise when he is raised in status thereby and his bad deeds are expiated? The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wills good for His slave, He hastens the punishment for him in this world, and when Allaah wills ill for His slave, he withholds the punishment for his sins from him until he comes with all his sins on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2396); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Al-Hasan al-Basri (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Do not resent the calamities that come and the disasters that occur, for perhaps in something that you dislike will be your salvation, and perhaps in something that you prefer will be your doom.”

Al-Fadl ibn Sahl said: “There is a blessing in calamity that the wise man should not ignore, for it erases sins, gives one the opportunity to attain the reward for patience, dispels negligence, reminds one of blessings at the time of health, calls one to repent and encourages one to give charity.

Through calamity the believer seeks reward, and there is no way to attain it but patience, and there is no way to be patient except with resolute faith and strong will.

Hamza Asadullah
11-05-2014, 09:11 PM
10 TIPS ON HOW TO FIGHT DEPRESSION & SADNESS

Feeling down in the dumps, depressed, having the blues? These are just some of the terms used to describe a feeling of hopelessness and despair that can hit even the most optimistic of us at some point in our lives. While clinical depression requires proper professional treatment, the occasional feeling of sadness due to factors ranging from marital issues, economic difficulty to harassment and discrimination can be helped through some simple spiritual practices. Here is a couple that can help:

1. Look at those below you

Abu Huraira (Radhi Allah ‘Anhu) reported that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said:
“When one of you looks at one who stands at a higher level than you in regard to wealth and physical structure (face or figure) he should also see one who stands at a lower level than you in regard to these things (in which he stands) at a higher level (as compared to him).” [Sahih Muslim: Book 42 "Kitab Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqa'iq", Number 7068]

If you are reading this article online, consider this: you are one of the lucky set of human beings on the planet who can afford a computer and internet connection or at least have access to one. The United Nations Development Program’s Human Development Report notes that there are still around 1 billion people living worldwide at the margins of survival on less than $1 a day, with 2.6 billion living on less than $2 a day. Also consider that in the Qur’ān (14:7), Allāh says that if you are thankful to Him for what you have, He blesses you with more.

2. Serve your fellow human beings

One of the best ways by which to thank Allāh is to serve humanity, especially those who have less than you. Serving others is uplifting and rewarding. It helps us gain a better perspective on life’s challenges, making us realize how very often, our problems seem so small compared to the awesome difficulties others face. That’s why when the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, and the Muslims were a small, poor and persecuted community, they used to give to the poor even more. They understood that when you are generous when you have less, you achieve the perspective of a winner. You focus on the bigger picture.

3. Read Surāh Adh-Dhuhaa

According to one report, after the Prophet had begun receiving revelation from God, at one point a long period of time passed with no such communication from Allāh. As a result, the Makkans ridiculed the Prophet. That’s when this chapter was revealed (Qur’ān 93: 1-11). The chapter is a beautiful reminder to us to see life in the greater scheme of things, to be grateful for what we have and to never give up striving for what is right. This chapter of the Quran can be considered a direct recipe from God for depression.

4. Turn to Allāh in all situations

Remember that nothing can harm you without the consent of Allāh, the Most High. While you must take care of yourself, rely on Allāh and know that He is always with you and only He can give you strength in this difficult time. Dear believer, remember that He will help you and that you can come out of this trying situation as a better person if you deal with it positively.

5. Remember Allāh’s Names

Allāh has many beautiful Names which describe His Attributes and Powers. These are reminders of His Love, Mercy, Forgiveness, Justice, Strength and much, much more. Supplicating to Allāh using these Names reminds us that Allāh has these attributes more than any other being and that we can and must rely on Him during good and bad times.

6. Say ‘Hasbun Allāhu wa Ni’mal Wakeel’

This has been translated as “God suffices me and He is the best Guardian.” It is an excellent way of reminding us that whatever worries we have or problems we face, Allāh has the answer and cure to all of them and is the only One who can really do what is best for us.

7. Make sure that when you leave home…

…you read the following Duā (supplication),"Bismillāhi tawakkaltu ‘alaAllāhi wa lā hawlā wa lā quwwatā illā billāh!”

(In the name of Allāh, I place my trust in Allāh, and there is neither might nor power except with Allāh.)

8. Take your spiritual break from the world

Offer your Salāh five times a day. Take a break away from your busy schedule and endless life activities by spending a few minutes to remember Allāh, the Almighty. This will help you reconnect with the Creator of the Universe, fortify your soul and strengthen your resolve to live a better life that is in tune with your faith and principles.

9. End your day on a good note

Shakespeare once wrote a play entitled “All’s well that ends well.” That’s good advice for dealing with depression too. End a day that may have been riddled with challenges and frustrations by making Wudhoo (ablution) before going to bed, thinking of Allāh and the Prophet (peace be upon him) and by counting and consciously realizing the many countless blessings you have.

10. Stop Shaytān in his tracks

Shaytān is the source of many of our negative emotions. It’s his job to make us feel pessimistic and to despair of any good in our lives. When you feel these feelings coming on, stop him dead in his tracks. Recite the following Du’ā before reciting the Qur’ān Kareem:

“A’udhu billāhi minash-Shaitānir-Rajīm.” (I seek refuge in Allāh from the accursed Shaytān).

Also recite the last two Surāhs of the Qur’ān called Al Mu’awwazatain (Surāh Al-Falaq and Surāh An-Nās).

In this way, Allāh willing, you shall begin to see a significant change in your life.

Compiled, edited and adapted by Khalid Latif. www.thekhalids.org.

And Allāh Ta’ala Knows Best.

Hamza Asadullah
12-21-2014, 10:44 PM
7 Things to do in times of Hardships:

http://productivemuslim.com/7-things...s-of-hardship/

Hamza Asadullah
06-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Du’a: Trials Bring Us Closer to Allah

The Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, said:

“The greatness of reward is based on the severity of the trial. And if Allah loves a person, He tests him, so whoever is pleased (with Allah), then he will have the pleasure (of Allah), but whoever is angry, then he will receive the Anger (of Allah).” (Recorded in al-Tirmidhi)

So the fact that our Du’a is not responded to is a trial from Allah, and this should make us optimistic that they we from amongst those that Allah loves. Such a test should therefore make us increase in patience and draw closer to Allah.

Hamza Asadullah
07-12-2015, 06:55 PM
The Love of Allah - Reflect it will make you weep:

Ibn Qayyum (Ra) said:

"Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how he handles his affairs for him and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of his slave than his own self his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah.

Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve, for it maybe that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of Dua.

So pour our your desires in prostration and forget about it (Your problems, trials) and know that verily Allah does not forget."

Hamza Asadullah
06-30-2016, 04:54 AM
Al-Hasan Al-Basree said:

“To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship.” [Al-Hilyah, 2/134]

Hamza Asadullah
05-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Trials and Tribulations - A Blessing In Disguise

Hamza Asadullah
10-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Facing Hardships & Trials - Powerful True Story

Hamza Asadullah
06-10-2018, 04:05 AM
In Times Of Hardships

Hamza Asadullah
08-29-2019, 09:45 AM

Hamza Asadullah
09-24-2020, 10:31 PM
Do tests in life get easier? No and yes. Let me explain.

Why no (tests don’t get easier). Tests don’t get easier, otherwise they would not be considered a test. Tests need to challenge us so that we can grow from them. The school system which is full of tests is a powerful analogy in this area. For a year 1 student, a year 1 test is difficult. For a year 10 student, a year 1 test is like a game. Similarly as we grow and develop, the tests get more difficult, otherwise they will stop feeling like tests.

On this point, our Prophet was asked “who gets tested the most severely?” He responded by saying “They are the prophets, then the next best, then the next best.” (Tirmidhi) Depending on your spiritual level, the tests will get harder and harder, or they will become more nuanced, just like a year 10 test is much more nuanced, complex and requires higher skills than a year 1 test.

Why yes. Tests get easier if we develop the correct mindset through our faith and if we develop the correct skills set through our life experiences.

Mindset is critical. Know that you will be tested. Allah says in the Qur’an “And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient.” (Qur’an, 2:155) When you accept that your life will be filled with tests, it already gives you an upper hand. Imagine a student who walks into a classroom knowing they will have a quiz that day, compared to a student who had no idea. The mindset will be very different. Imagine if the latter student was expecting to walk into a class party but instead is faced with a quiz. They would be utterly shocked. Similarly, if we think this life is going to be just about pleasing our ego, we will be utterly shocked when the party ends and a test arises.

Skills set is the other critical point. While a year 10 test is much more difficult than a year 1 test, it would be hoped that schooling would have developed the knowledge and skills needed for a year 10 student to do a year 10 test. Isn’t life a school where we learn so much and develop so many skills? By the time we are faced with the more difficult tests, we will be better prepared for them. We should also keeping mind that “Allah does not burden a soul (with a test) greater than it can bear.” (Qur’an, 2:286). Therefore, he will not test us with a year 10 test when we are in year 1.

The take home message is:
1. Remember that we will be tested in this life and we will grow from them. Our faith reminds us of this important detail about life.
2. The past tests help us to grow so that when we face new challenges, we have developed the skills and mechanisms needed to deal with them.
3. BUT, a test is a test. That is, in any case, it will challenge us in some way otherwise it will not be a test. It needs to challenge us to ensure we grow from it.

May Allah enable us all to past the tests we are faced with. Ameen.

(The above does not explain all aspects of life events, but one that many of us could apply in our personal lives)

Hamza Asadullah
04-27-2022, 11:25 PM
Tired of Life Difficulties? Read This Hadith

Abu Sa`id and Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with them) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “No fatigue, nor disease, nor anxiety, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

This world is no more than a test in which all humans are bound to face some hardships and challenges that reveal their patience and steadfastness.

Different Tests

The forms of this test are numerous and diverse: Some people suffer poverty, some suffer physical illnesses, some live in a state of insecurity, some are deprived of their cherished and beloved ones, and still others suffer psychiatric disorders. Referring to this fact, Allah says: {And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives and crops; but give glad tidings to the patient, Who says, when afflicted with calamity: “To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return”: They are those on whom (descend) Blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.} (Al-Baqarah 2:155-157)

In another verse, He Almighty says: {He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving.} (Al-Mulk 67:2)

Since hardships are inevitable, Islam does not let them pass by without proper guidance about the safest and most appropriate attitude. The above Hadith reveals one dimension of Islam’s recipe for successfully dealing with life’s challenges.

The Positive Side of Problems

In order to balance the negative effects posed by afflictions, Islam draws our attention to their expected fruit. Problems and troubles serve as means to expiate sins and elevate the believer’s rank in the Hereafter.

This optimistic and positive approach safeguards one from falling prey to despair and grief. Here, it is fitting to cite some Prophetic hadiths that emphasize this concept:

Abu Yahya Suhaib bin Sinan (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “How wonderful is the case of a believer; there is good for him in everything and this applies only to a believer. If prosperity attends him, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him; and if adversity befalls him, he endures it patiently and that is good for him” (Muslim).

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “He whom Allah intends good, He makes him to suffer from some affliction” (Al-Bukhari).

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A Muslim, male or female, continues to remain under trial in respect of his life, property, and offspring until he faces Allah, the Exalted, with no sin record” (At-Tirmidhi).
A Call to Defeatism?

The above hadiths should not be mistaken for a call to fatalism and defeatism. The message the hadiths convey is that every Muslim should expect hardships and prepare to weather them. Therefore, believers face difficulties with brave hearts; they trust Allah’s wisdom and believe in His mercy; and they know that these tests are rewarding. Compare that attitude to the feeling that one is alone in this world, facing its formidable challenges isolated from any source of support or assistance.

So, these hadiths are meant to infuse the Muslim with hope and vigour and drive away the destructive thoughts of failure and hopelessness. To get a better understanding of them, we should consider them in light of the following hadiths:

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A strong believer is better and dearer to Allah than a weak one, and both are good.

Adhere to that which is beneficial for you. Keep asking Allah for help and do not refrain from it.

(If you are afflicted in any way), do not say: ‘If I had taken this or that step, it would have resulted into such and such,’ but say only: ‘Allah so determined and did as He willed.’ The word ‘if’ opens the gates of satanic (thoughts)” (Muslim).

This hadith goes in line with the Prophet’s reminder to his cousin Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that with patience comes victory, with distress comes relief, and with hardship comes ease.

What if It’s a Punishment?

In this respect, one idea may be a source of worry and disturbance. How can we approach afflictions with such optimism when they are clear signs of Allah’s wrath and manifestations of His punishment? Has not Allah said, {Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because of the things your hands have wrought, and for many (of them) He grants forgiveness} (Ash-Shura 42:30)

These questions haunt many people, especially the practicing ones, when they are afflicted with a calamity, deprived of a cherished person, or plagued with an illness. The problem is that in many cases this thought becomes a source of frustration and depression.

Instead of being an incentive to repentance and drawing closer to him, the idea serves sometimes as a dispiriting factor. So, let’s see how the Companions viewed the above verse and how they took it positively and optimistically.

In his comment on the above verse, Imam Al-Qurtubi reports that `Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) said, "This verse is the most hope-inspiring one in the Quran; if my sins are to be expiated through afflictions and calamities, and above that, Allah will forgive many other sins, then what will remain after such expiation and forgiveness?”

True, life’s disasters leave hearts broken and loved ones deprived, but the bright believer knows how turn them into a source of determination and a fountain of strength.

I conclude with the beautiful authentic hadith in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) tells us that the people who face the harshest trial (bla’) are the prophets, then those next to them (in faith and devotion), and then the next. Everyone will be tried according to his level of faith; one who has strong faith will undergo a harsh trial and one who is of weak faith will receive a weak trial. And the affliction will encompass one until he becomes free of sins altogether.

Source: Tired of Life Difficulties? Read This Hadith | About Islam

Hamza Asadullah
04-27-2022, 11:32 PM
5 Reasons Why We Are Tested

Life is filled with ups and downs, and there are times where our trials seem unending.

In the Qur’an, there are several verses in which Allah talks about the varying ways we will be tested, but He also provides a care package to help us navigate those trying moments.

Why are we tested?

This is a very common question from Muslims, people of other faiths, or no faith—so it’s important to reflect on it. Lack of answers can sometimes distance people from their faith—if a person doesn’t understand why trials happen they can start to feel life is unfair or even that God is being unfair. But Allah is Al-Adl, The Just, and He is Ar-Rahman, The Most Merciful; He never wants ill for His servants, He only wants the best for us.

There is a lot of evidence in the Qur’an and hadith that helps us answer this question of why we are tested.

1) We were created to worship Allah

We were created to worship Allah, and we all made a promise to do so before we were sent to earth. Tests are a means for us to fulfil this promise. In fact, they are a “sunnah” of Allah – i.e. tests are the means by which Allah distinguishes between us, because they help to expose faith and lack of faith. Allah states in the Qur'an: 'Do the people think that they will be left to say, “We believe” and they will not be tried? But We have certainly tried those before them, and Allah will surely make evident those who are truthful, and He will surely make evident those who are false.’ [Qur’an 29: 2-3]

2) Allah tests us to purify us and wash away our sins.

The Prophet said :“No calamity befalls a Muslim but that Allah expiates some of his sins because of it, even if it were the prick of a thorn.” [Bukhari, Muslim].So instead of seeing tests as a punishment from Allah, this shows that in fact, Allah wants to save us from punishment – i.e. the punishment of the Hereafter which is much worse than any test faced in this Dunya.

3) A test can sometimes replace a worse misfortune

A test can be a form of protection from something that might have befallen us. Or being deprived of something might, in fact, be saving us from something that is not good for us, even though we don’t have the knowledge to realise it at the time. Allah tells us: “Perhaps you dislike a thing and Allah makes therein much good.” [Qur’an 4: 19]. Therefore the test which might seem so awful to you at the time is, in fact, a blessing.

4) Tests are given to us to strengthen our iman (faith)

The Prophet said: "The people who face the most difficult tests are the prophets, then the righteous, then those following them in degree. A person is tried according to his religion. So if there is firmness in his religion, then the trial is increased, and if there is a weakness, then it is lightened. Verily a trial remains with a servant until he walks the earth having no sin left upon him.” [Bukhari].Allah wants to refine us, out of His love and mercy, so that we can attain not just Paradise but the highest rank of the Prophets and the righteous. Tests expose our faults and weaknesses to ourselves—and that awareness enables us to be more focused and proactive in rectifying those aspects of our character.

5) Allah tests a person He loves.

The Prophet said: “Whenever Allah wills good for a person, He subjects them to adversity.” [Bukhari]. Why? Because if the servant reacts with Sabr and contentment with Allah’s decree, it brings them closer to Allah. And “Allah loves the Patient.” [Qur’an 3: 146]

10 ways to deal with tests:

Ibn Al-Qayyim (rahimahullah) stated that when we are tested, we are faced with 2 options:

• to be patient
  • to not be patient!

So when we lack patience and get frustrated / bitter/ panicky, or lose hope/ blame Allah, this is actually a choice we make, and not a very good one. But those who choose option (1), as difficult as it is, benefit from their tests in this life and also gain in the next life, i.e. Jannah.So how can we choose to have more patience and contentment when tested? Thanks to the sisters who gave the following suggestions:

1. Read or listen to the Qur’an (because dhikr gives contentment – see Qur’an 13: 28).
  2. Make du’a for Allah’s help, strength, and relief from the test – just as Ya’qub (AS), Maryam (AS) and the Prophet all did.
  3. Gratitude puts our tests in perspective and stops us from complaining; it is the greatest route towards Sabr.
  4. Remember what others are going through – remember the Ummah, and people around you in your own communities; remind yourselves of the tests the Prophets went through – they provide us with good examples of perseverance. Bear in mind every single person is being tested in different ways.
  5. Remember nothing in this life lasts forever, so the test will have an end inshaAllah: “verily with every hardship comes ease” [Qur’an 94:5-6].
  6. Allah does not burden any soul beyond what it can bear [Qur’an 2:286]; Allah has confidence in us, so we too need to have confidence in our ability to get through the test.
  7. Muhaasabah – use tests as an opportunity for self-assessment; are there things you can do better next time? Are there habits or characteristics you need to change?
  8. Deal with your test one step at a time – i.e. if you have a task to complete, give yourself small goals. Or if you are facing a long-term test, try to have patience for that day, and start afresh with your goal of sabr the next day etc.
  9. Have trust in Allah (tawakkul), whatever the test is – because Allah is the best of Planners and teaches us the best lessons.
  10. Strengthen your salah: “Seek help in patience and prayer” [Qur’an 2: 153]

Finally, What if you are not being tested?

The following question was asked, and it comes up quite a lot: “What if someone doesn’t seem to be going through any major trials, and in fact, they are being blessed with abundance. Does Allah love such a person less than someone He subjects to obvious harsh trials?” Tests can take many forms, they can be great or small, a one-off trial or something we face consistently. They can come in the form of hardships… or, they can come in the form of blessings.

In fact, these can be a greater pitfall than hardships because they are harder to identify as tests. Why is this the case? Because when we feel less needy of Allah’s help we turn to Him less. We tend to remember Allah less in times of ease. So “ease” is no less of a test of our faith, especially when we remember that Iblis vowed to use ingratitude as a means to lead us astray (see Qur’an 7: 16-17).The way to show patience with such a test is to always be grateful, to know Allah is the source of our blessings, to fight pride and ego, and to fight the temptation to show off. And if someone succeeds in that trial, they would be rewarded by Allah and be drawn closer to Allah, no differently from someone who faced their hardships with sabr.

Having sabr with blessings is also shown by utilising the good things Allah gave us – if it is money, do we spend it freely in the way of Allah, or do we hold back? If it is knowledge, or free time, or good health, or youthfulness, how do we use these blessings? It is not always easy to be generous with those blessings, and to use them for Allah rather than the ego—that is a great test too.

Finally, it’s worth remembering there are examples of companions who were blessed with abundance—Khadijah, Abu Bakr, Uthman bin Affan, Abdur Rahman bin Awf, may Allah be pleased with them all! They were blessed with wealth and status too, but they used that to serve Allah and the Ummah. In fact, they were among those promised paradise. So being tested with abundance does not necessarily mean that person is less beloved to Allah, they are just being tested differently. And Allah knows best.

Source: 5 Reasons Why We Are Tested | Amaliah

Hamza Asadullah
05-07-2022, 11:52 PM

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!