/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam and Hauntings? Possession?

Grofica
01-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Sorry i have a few questions that i have been pondering over and i tried to look some up but i have not gotten very far on it so i thought i would ask here. i mean no disrespect. they are honest questions. I am going to post them separately so that the threads don't blend together :-)

I was wondering what the Islamic stand point is on haunting. it is really easy no matter where you are to hear story's, see videos, pictures, hear audio tapes, the all famous "white noise", scratches that come from no where, the list goes on and on... all the way to full blown possession...

Does Islam make a difference between Jinn and Demons?

It's said there is those who can contact the dead, and demons? what is the view on this? (other then i know its bad) and what about the Ouija Board.... i know its considered the "devil's game" but what is the standpoint in Islam. I know lots of bad things happen to those who do "play" it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
01-28-2011, 02:15 PM
:salamext:

Jinn are an invisible creation of Allah, who have freedom of decision - just like Humans do. And they are responsible for their actions in the sight of Allah on Judgment Day. Some are believers, others are disbelievers.

Demons could be translated as evil Jinn who do evil. Shayaateen are demons/devils who incite others to evil, and themselves do evil acts.

There are some who contact the evil Jinn and especially demons are doing an act of evil. They should not be spoken to and that is strongly condemned. Since ouiji boards are associated with this, it is abhorred/hated to get involved with such people. Infact, those who claim to be fortune tellers should not even be contacted with, and if you did - your prayers would not be accepted for 40days.

In regard to them contacting the dead - then that is not possible. The dead are in a state of the 'Barzakh' from which they cannot escape until Judgment Day. With magicians, in most cases, it is evil Jinn pretending to be the dead.

Grofica
01-28-2011, 04:02 PM
So its the Jinn that haunt houses? and that you can hear on some audio recordings? also known as EVP (Electronic voice phenomena) and what of possession?

- Qatada -
01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
So its the Jinn that haunt houses? and that you can hear on some audio recordings? also known as EVP (Electronic voice phenomena) and what of possession?
Asalam alykum.

Yes it is possible that it is jinn in both scenarios.

Usually in posessions, people are jealous of others and ask magicians for help. The magician worships, prays to and humbles himself to a leader devil jinn and asks him for help. And this jinn tells his
lower jinns to help the magician.

This is why alot of the lowly jinns possess the people, otherwise the leader devil jinn will hurt them. Although others are evil and like it.

You should Recite Quran over the possessed, especially the scary verses, and you should be a confident person, and should be firm and not be tricked easily (because jinn can be deceptive/lying, arrogant and they fear humans.)

Allah knows best.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Darth Ultor
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
People can contact the dead, but I find it to be both dangerous and disrespectful. The dead should be allowed to rest.

IAmZamzam
01-29-2011, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
I was wondering what the Islamic stand point is on haunting. it is really easy no matter where you are to hear story's, see videos, pictures, hear audio tapes, the all famous "white noise", scratches that come from no where, the list goes on and on... all the way to full blown possession...
A lot of "hauntings" are just EMF fields having peculiar effects on the human brain. The scriptures (so far as I know) don't say anything about the subject one way or another but I don't see how it could fit into the life-al barzakh-resurrection-afterlife scheme.

Does Islam make a difference between Jinn and Demons?
Demons are djinn. When we (who know better than to believe in fallen angels) refer to devils, we mean djinn that have set themselves against the human race out of prejudice and vengeful spite. Of course while all demons are djinn, not all djinn are demons. They're an entire species (I guess would be the word) and therefore it would be unreasonable to expect all of them to be wicked.

It's said there is those who can contact the dead, and demons? what is the view on this? (other then i know its bad) and what about the Ouija Board.... i know its considered the "devil's game" but what is the standpoint in Islam. I know lots of bad things happen to those who do "play" it.
Divination is, I think, forbidden, and magic definitely is. It should be noted that most of the people who claim to professionally practice these things are shameless frauds.

Ramadhan
01-29-2011, 03:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
People can contact the dead, but I find it to be both dangerous and disrespectful. The dead should be allowed to rest
No one can contact the dead.
As has been written in previous post, the dead are in a state of barzakh, where they cannot do anything until resurrected.

what people refer to as contacting the dead is most likely contacting the Qareen of the dead person
Qareen is djinn companion. Each human is assigned a qareen from the day we are born until we die. When we die, the qareen does not die with us, and since the qareen is our constant companion, they know everything that happened to us, so people assume it is us.
Likewise, when a fortune teller "read" us and tell us the extremely private and intimate details of ourselves, the fortune teller actually get the info from our qareen.

The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihe wa-sallam) once told his companions: “Every one of you has been assigned a companion from the Jinn.” They asked:
“Even you, O Messenger of Allah (pbuh)!” He replied: “Even me, except that Allah has helped me against him and he has submitted. Now he only tells me to do good.” [Saheeh Muslim]

Here's from Islamqa:

Every person has a constant companion from among the jinn
Is there anything in Islam that is called the Qareen? I would like to know whether I have a Qareen. What does Islam say about this, or does it not exist at all?

Praise be to Allaah. Yes, there is something which is called the qareen, which Allaah has caused to accompany every human being. This qareen pushes a person to do evil things and to disobey Allaah, with the exception of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), as will be explained below.
Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“His companion (qareen) will say: ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression, (in disbelief, oppression, and evil deeds), but he was himself in error far astray.’
Allaah will say: ‘Dispute not in front of Me, I had already in advance sent you the threat.
The Sentence that comes from Me cannot be changed, and I am not unjust to the slaves’”
[Qaaf 50:27-29]
Ibn Katheer said: “ ‘His companion (qareen) will say’ – Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him), Mujaahid, Qutaadah and others said: this refers to the devil who is appointed to accompany him. ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression’ means, he will disown that person on the Day of Judgement, and will say, ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression’ meaning, I did not lead him astray.
‘but he was himself in error far astray’ means, he was misguided in himself, receptive to falsehood and resistant to the truth – as Allaah says elsewhere (interpretation of the meaning):
‘And Shaytaan (Satan) will say when the matter has been decided: “Verily, Allaah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, and you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me (Satan) as a partner with Allaah (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers).”’
[Ibraaheem 14:22]
The phrase ‘Dispute not in front of Me’ refers to what Allaah will say to the human and his companion from among the jinn, when they dispute before Him, and the human says, ‘O Lord, this one led me astray from the Reminder after it had come to me’ and the devil will say, ‘Our Lord! I did not push him to transgression, (in disbelief, oppression, and evil deeds), but he was himself in error far astray’ – i.e., from the path of truth.
Allaah will say, ‘Dispute not in front of Me’ meaning, in My presence. ‘I had already in advance sent you the threat’ means, I sent the warning on the lips of the Messengers, and I sent down the Books, so proof and evidence was established against you.
‘The Sentence that comes from Me cannot be changed’ – Mujaahid said, this means I have passed My judgement.
‘and I am not unjust to the slaves’ means, I do not punish anyone for the sin of another, and I only punish a person for his sin after proof has been established against him.”
Tafseer Ibn Katheer, 4/227
It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no one among you but a companion from among the jinn has been assigned to him.” They said, “Even you, O Messenger of Allaah?’ He said, “Even me, but Allaah helped me with him and he became Muslim (or: and I am safe from him), so he only enjoins me to do that which is good.”
According to another report, “… There is assigned to him a companion from among the jinn and a companion from among the angels.”
Narrated by Muslim, 2814
Al-Nawawi included this in a chapter which he called: Baab Tahreesh al-Shaytaan wa Ba’thihi Saraayaahu li Fitnat il-Naas wa anna ma’a kulli insaanin Qareen (Chapter on the evil of the Shaytaan and his sending his troops to tempt the people, and the fact that there is a jinn-companion with every human being).
Al-Nawawi said:
“Fa aslamu (and I am safe from him) or fa aslama (and he became Muslim). These are two well known versions. One means ‘and I am safe from his evil and his temptation.’ The other means that ‘the qareen became Muslim and became a believer, so he does not tell me to do anything but good’.
There was some scholarly dispute as to the form of the word. Al-Khattaabi said that the word was Fa aslamu (and I am safe from him); al-Qaadi ‘Iyaad said that it was fa aslama (and he became Muslim), which is more correct, because the hadeeth says, ‘so he only enjoins me to do that which is good’.
They also disputed as to the meaning of the word fa aslama. Some said that it meant that he (the qareen) submitted and surrendered, as it was narrated elsewhere than in Saheeh Muslim, fa astaslama [he gave up and surrendered]. It was also suggested that it means that he became a Muslim and a believer. The latter is the apparent meaning. Al-Qaadi said: Note that the ummah is unanimously agreed that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was protected from the Shaytaan in physically, mentally and with regard what he said. This hadeeth contains a warning against the temptation of the qareen and his whispers and temptations. We know that he is with us so we should beware of him as much as possible.
Sharh Muslim, 17/157, 158
It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If anyone of you is praying, he should not let anyone pass in front of him; if that person insists then he should fight him for there is a qareen with him.”
Narrated by Muslim, 506.
Al-Shawkaani said:
“The phrase ‘for there is a qareen with him’—according to al-Qaamoos [an Arabic-language dictionary] the word qareen refers to a companion; the Shaytaan always accompanies man and never leaves him. This is what is referred to here.”
Nayl al-Awtaar, 3/7
And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

Ramadhan
01-29-2011, 03:40 AM
and just to remind again:

djinns are like humans:
they have races, they are bad djinns and good djinns, and muslim djinns, etc.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!