/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Seashells

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Is it haram to wear anything (like beads, necklace, or earrings) that is made out of a seashell or resembles a seashell
Someone told me it was haram but when i looked it up for myself i saw nothing that stated it was.
The only thing that i found was this

As for wearing beads, seashells, charms and amulets, or reciting certain incantations to treat or prevent illness, such practices are sheer ignorance and error, are contrary to the laws of Allah Ta'ala, and constitute a denial of tauheed.

But if your intention is not for protection but rather decoration would it still be considered haram?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
01-28-2011, 07:17 PM
why in the world would someone wear seashells unless they're into voodoo??

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 07:41 PM
^ not everyone is into voodoo

if you go to the beach they sell these necklaces that may have seashells in them and I want to know if its haram to wear
and also putting like seashells shaped beads in your hair is that haram even if the shell is made of plastic (like a fake shell)

im trying to find a pic of what i am talking about but i cant....

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 07:52 PM
like this

or like putting cowrie shells into your hair or like beads made to look like cowire shells is that ok?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
01-28-2011, 07:56 PM
0h....i think i saw one homeless guy with something like that...he had like a thousand of those around his neck

he was a jamaican dude i think

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 08:02 PM
^ u are not helping :(
does anyone know?

Ansariyah
01-28-2011, 08:04 PM
I actually have a bracelet made out of sea shells, I got it from New Zealand. As far as the healing qualities u mentioned are concerned, thats a first for me. It's just jewellery!

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I actually have a bracelet made out of sea shells, I got it from New Zealand. As far as the healing qualities u mentioned are concerned, thats a first for me. It's just jewellery!

yea the healing "qualities" are nothing but superstitions which is haram
it isnt my intention to wear for superstitions so would it still be considered haram to wear?

Cabdullahi
01-28-2011, 08:08 PM
What can be said generally concerning this issue is that there is the principle of permissibility that concerns the affairs with the exception of acts of worship. And this principle is derived from the ayah in Suratul Baqarah:

"And He is the One Who created everything in the earth for you (all)..."

So the principle that governs clothing is that it is generally permissible unless there is a clear proof to show that something from it is prohibited. A good example here would be the wearing of silk garments for men i.e. all clothing are generally permissible, but there is an authentic proof that shows the men are prohibited from wearing silk.

So the case is that if there exists a proof/s that indicate that wearing of seashells is impermissible, then it is not befitting that we wear it. In the absence of this, its ruling would be one of permissibility.

However, if the these ornaments have in them something that opposes the sharee'ah, for example, it resembles the decorations of the disbelievers, then this is a problem.

Allaah has the best knowledge of it.

http://aa.trinimuslims.com/showthread.php?t=5021

simple google search

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 08:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
What can be said generally concerning this issue is that there is the principle of permissibility that concerns the affairs with the exception of acts of worship. And this principle is derived from the ayah in Suratul Baqarah: "And He is the One Who created everything in the earth for you (all)..." So the principle that governs clothing is that it is generally permissible unless there is a clear proof to show that something from it is prohibited. A good example here would be the wearing of silk garments for men i.e. all clothing are generally permissible, but there is an authentic proof that shows the men are prohibited from wearing silk. So the case is that if there exists a proof/s that indicate that wearing of seashells is impermissible, then it is not befitting that we wear it. In the absence of this, its ruling would be one of permissibility. However, if the these ornaments have in them something that opposes the sharee'ah, for example, it resembles the decorations of the disbelievers, then this is a problem. Allaah has the best knowledge of it. http://aa.trinimuslims.com/showthread.php?t=5021 simple google search
i did search (yahoo) and got nothing
Jazakallah Khair for helping

Ansariyah
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila

yea the healing "qualities" are nothing but superstitions which is haram
it isnt my intention to wear for superstitions so would it still be considered haram to wear?
Exactly, its all about intentions. Allah knows why u wear it which is for Jewellery's sake alone, so I dont see how thats Haram. I wouldnt worry about it that much sis, enjoy ur jewellery!=)

I'm all goo gaa for these lol

and this bracelet is the kind I have..

Wow!

Perseveranze
01-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Maybe you could somehow relate to this - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/82877

I personally think nothing is wrong with your situation, as long as the intention is right it should be fine. But, you should ask a Scholar or someone who's definitly sure on this.

S.Belle
01-28-2011, 09:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Exactly, its all about intentions. Allah knows why u wear it which is for Jewellery's sake alone, so I dont see how thats Haram. I wouldnt worry about it that much sis, enjoy ur jewellery!=)

and this bracelet is the kind I have..

oh i love that bracelet its too cute

format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum, Maybe you could somehow relate to this - http://islamqa.com/en/ref/82877 I personally think nothing is wrong with your situation, as long as the intention is right it should be fine. But, you should ask a Scholar or someone who's definitly sure on this.
thanks bro and I did another search using google (yahoo is bonkers) and found this

Is it permissible to wear jewelry that is adorned with cowrie shells? What about regular seashells

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger. We ask Allaah to exalt his mention as well as that of his family and all his companions

It is permissible for a woman to wear whatever jewelry she likes as long as she is not extravagant, whether it is gold or silver or else, and whether they are adorned with cowrie shells or else, or not adorned at all. Allaah says: (interpretation of the meaning): {It is He Who has created for you all things that are on earth; ….}[2:29].
The Prophet

said about gold and silk: "These two things are prohibited for the males of my nation and permissible for its females." [Ibn Maajah]. The Prophet

also said: "Wearing silk and gold has been made lawful for the females of my nation and unlawful for its males." So it is forbidden for men to wear gold as the Prophet

said: "Unlawful for its males." However, it is permissible for men to wear silver rings, as Anas

said that the Prophet

"Wore a silver ring in his right hand." [Muslim]
Nevertheless, the people of knowledge differed in opinion regarding a man wearing precious jewelry other than gold and silver. The sound opinion is that it is disliked because this can be considered as imitating women and being extravagant, while "The Prophet

cursed men who imitate women." [Al-Bukhaari]. It may even be forbidden if by wearing jewelry a man really imitates women or imitates the dissolute and corrupt people.
Allaah knows best
http://www.islamweb.net/emainpage/in...twaId&Id=88620

so it is fine alhamdulilah
Jazakallah Khair to everyone that has helped.

Ramadhan
01-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Relax, you can wear them, but do not overdo it to attract attention to yourself.

Cabdullahi
01-29-2011, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Relax, you can wear them, but do not overdo it to attract attention to yourself.
It's all about the bling bling brother!

Neelofar
01-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I am totally digging that first necklace Yanoorah! :D Abdullahii, you make my sides split with laughter :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!