/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A while ago, my Dad met a stranger, An Interesting Story,,,

Al Shifa
01-29-2011, 05:49 AM
A while ago, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mom taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger…he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.
If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game. He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn’t seem to mind.
Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet. (I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home… Not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our longtime visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush. My Dad didn’t permit the liberal use of alcohol. But the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished.
He talked freely (much too freely!) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.
I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked… And NEVER asked to leave.

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents’ den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures. Categorically, he destroyed all the moral values, ethics, love, time for each other and other good qualities we had in our family…..whilst adding some unnoticeable quantity of positive stuff also, which any way we would have had even without him……
His name?…. .. .
We just call him ‘TV.’
He has a wife now….We call her ‘Computer.’
Their first child is “Cell Phone”.
Second child “I Pod”

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
01-29-2011, 06:04 AM
jazakallah khair for sharing

tigerkhan
01-29-2011, 06:06 AM
lol........................ its so nice.
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Shifa
We just call him ‘TV.’
Second child “I Pod”
i blv these 4 things had destroyed muslim ummah. by the grace of GOD, i never used to see TV, computer (internet) i start using when i enter professional life, my cell phone has no camera, pictures, no sms or call package.. and I pod, i dont have it. alhumdulliah i am safe.

Al Shifa
01-29-2011, 07:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
i never used to see TV, computer (internet) i start using when i enter professional life, my cell phone has no camera, pictures, no sms or call package.. and I pod, i dont have it. alhumdulliah i am safe.

You are verly lucky my brother, that you don't have much contact with this vicious electronic family which is consuming so much of our precious time. keep it up and pray that may Allah save all Muslims from the bad effects of these electronic devices.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
01-29-2011, 09:50 AM
MashaAllah, good post. You should post it on other forums, inshaAllah. A couple of weeks ago I was watching an innocent program when a rude scene came on quite unexpectedly. I was shocked and repulsed. I thought how could I observe hijab of the eyes when things like this happen? I couldn't. So I cancelled my Sky package and TV licence, and feel happier to gotten rid of that filth from my house.

IAmZamzam
01-29-2011, 06:04 PM
There's no need to resort to Luddism here, just be careful with how you use the inventions you have. All of them can be used for good. For example, each has pro-Islamic content, including the very one you're on at this moment--hello?!

As it so happens I rarely watch TV anymore, except maybe for MMA. I can't stand all the pop-up ads that have infested it. At least on the net you can usually X those things out. But every five minutes they're on TV as well and there's nothing you can do about it, other than not watch! I can't take it anymore.

Cabdullahi
01-29-2011, 06:36 PM
controlling what you watch is very hard on TV...you might say i am only just going to watch the news but they will catch you off guard through adverts and unexpected scenes

kashmirshazad
01-29-2011, 07:38 PM
I remember when I posted this on UMMah forum, before being permanently banned for some peculiar reason...

Beardo
01-29-2011, 08:01 PM
lol, you got me there. At first, I thought I was reading the Advice & Support section. It's so true. We've lost the art of quality family time!

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Jazakallaahu Khaair for the post

Xena
01-30-2011, 01:08 AM
A while ago, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family. The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on.

As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. In my young mind, he had a special niche. My parents were complementary instructors: Mom taught me good from evil, and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger…he was our storyteller. He would keep us spellbound for hours on end with adventures, mysteries and comedies.
If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed able to predict the future! He took my family to the first major league ball game. He made me laugh, and he made me cry. The stranger never stopped talking, but Dad didn’t seem to mind.
Sometimes, Mom would get up quietly while the rest of us were shushing each other to listen to what he had to say, and she would go to the kitchen for peace and quiet. (I wonder now if she ever prayed for the stranger to leave.)

Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home… Not from us, our friends or any visitors. Our longtime visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears and made my dad squirm and my mother blush. My Dad didn’t permit the liberal use of alcohol. But the stranger encouraged us to try it on a regular basis. He made cigarettes look cool, cigars manly and pipes distinguished.
He talked freely (much too freely!) about sex. His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes suggestive, and generally embarrassing.
I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked… And NEVER asked to leave.

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first. Still, if you could walk into my parents’ den today, you would still find him sitting over in his corner, waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures. Categorically, he destroyed all the moral values, ethics, love, time for each other and other good qualities we had in our family…..whilst adding some unnoticeable quantity of positive stuff also, which any way we would have had even without him……
His name?…. .. .
We just call him ‘TV.’
Second child “I Pod”
That was honestly good! I was like captivated... who is this guy?!?! Lolz!very true though!

Innocent Soul
01-30-2011, 03:42 AM
I used to see tv alot then after I became a practising muslim I stopped watching it and now there is no tv in my house :statisfie. Seeing t.v and being on internet for hours wastes a lot of time . I have seen this thread before but I didn't know that he has a family too. :p

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Television, this small box in the corner of your room, is a substantial tool of mind control. It constantly tells you what to believe and what not to. The news shown on the television are not always the truth, the news channels broadcast the news which they want us to know and they unequivocally neglect and ignore news of our concern. Our Shaykh this Friday in the Friday sermon said that it is one of the characteristics of the news that both truth and lie put together before presentation. And the news channels are one step ahead, presenting as lie as truth and making the people believe it.

abjad
01-30-2011, 05:30 AM
We just call him ‘TV.’
Second child “I Pod”
>>shukran.....i read it all but with some language difficulties As am no good in eglish.

However my comments as

"This is the Life"

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-30-2011, 05:34 AM
We just call him ‘TV.’
Second child “I Pod”
Most funny thing I found was, 'Television can procreate'. lol ;D

Vito
01-30-2011, 03:32 PM
That is a good story. This is just a general comment. To me it is not as black and white as saying either they are a bad thing or they are not. I think they can be a bad thing but, I don't think they are a bad thing. If people are spending most of their time watching t.v, talking / text messaging on the phone, or browsing the internet, then I blame that person and not whatever it is they are using. I can blame a gun for putting me in jail for the rest of my life but, I'm the one who killed someone with it. I can blame drugs for putting me out on the street but, I'm the one who used it. I can blame the internet and t.v for wasting all my time, giving me a bad influence, or even thinking for me but, in the end I'm the one who allowed it to happen or was too weak to control it.

I have hundreds of channels on my t.v and only watch a handful of them. There are billions of websites out there, but I only browse a few of them. There are many high tech phones out there but I chose to use a cheap prepaid phone for emergencies. Are any of these affecting my thoughts, my faith, my time, my morals? No because I chose for them not to.

glo
01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I agree with much Kai says.
The TV and Internet and other media are not in themselves evil or bad.
To ignore all such technology completely seems a bit like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Yes, there is much which may be non-beneficial at best or even harmful at worst, but there is much that is useful and helpful and informative too - and we are in control of which things we expose ourselves to. Nobody is forcing us!

So it is a question of self-control and being able to moderate our behaviour, isn't it?

abjad
01-30-2011, 07:18 PM
asalaam aleykum

If i may ask; do these tvs, mobiles etc,
Say! are there any signs of the Truth per Kuran Kareem?

while i was in koran class, i remember asking Mualim;
"as the person at paradise to see the one(IN JAHANAM) who refuted as there was a day of judgment Would he not get burnt?
replied ...No
i was wondering, but now, i understand(bi Rahmt Rabana)through those gadgets we now use.

Did any had such wondering s while YOUNG?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!