/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Word Usage & Sensitivity

Beardo
01-31-2011, 03:21 PM
:sl:

I was just wondering... Or rather, opining...

Isn't it rude for a Muslim to use the word "infidel"? We should be considerate and avoid words that have a negative connotation. Why not use the word non-Muslim instead?

I have one friend, for example, who refers to "music" as "infidel noise." Is it really necessary? Isn't it part of compassion to refer to them respectfully? As that is what will provide the true meaning of Islam: peaceful and harmonious.

Correct me if I am mistaken.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
01-31-2011, 03:56 PM

The original definition of infidel was "A non-Roman Catholic" later extended to mean any non-Christian it was coined from the Latin Infideles (Unfaithful) it was the name given by a Pope, during the crusades, as a name for the Jews and Muslims in Jerusalem.

I have no idea how and why it came to be used by English speaking Muslims as the English translation of Kafir.

It was seen as a derogatory word when used as a name for us, we should not be imitators and use it as a derogatory term for non-believers.

Muslim Woman
01-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Salaam

yes , I agree .

Invite (mankind, O Muhammad SAW) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Quran) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.
( سورة النحل , An-Nahl, Chapter #16, Verse #125)

Beardo
01-31-2011, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
It was seen as a derogatory word when used as a name for us, we should not be imitators and use it as a derogatory term for non-believers.
I also liked how you chose non-believers over disbelievers. Do you do that intentionally?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
01-31-2011, 04:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I also liked how you chose non-believers over disbelievers. Do you do that intentionally?
Just my opinion over the way I have seen both terms usually used.

A disbeliever seems to be an accusation that the person refuses to believe. The term non-believer does not carry the concept of an accusation, it is stating the fact the person does not believe what we believe, and we may not know why they do not believe.

ardianto
01-31-2011, 04:28 PM

Arabic word "kafir" is one of many Arabic words that adopted into Indonesian language. But in Indonesian language "kafir" is used only for call someone who refuse to believe in God, not for call people from other faith.

However, Indonesian translation from English word "infidel" is "kafir" too. And I think Arab also translate "infidel" into "kafir".

Woodrow
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

Arabic word "kafir" is one of many Arabic words that adopted into Indonesian language. But in Indonesian language "kafir" is used only for call someone who refuse to believe in God, not for call people from other faith.

However, Indonesian translation from English word "infidel" is "kafir" too. And I think Arab also translate "infidel" into "kafir".
That is probably true, Language does change over the years. but in English infidel still has a derogatory side to it and it's original meaning was to intend it to be insulting. so in terms of a English speaking Muslim to call a non-believer an infidel it is not usually intended to be meant anything except a derogatory name.

Hamza Asadullah
01-31-2011, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

I was just wondering... Or rather, opining...

Isn't it rude for a Muslim to use the word "infidel"? We should be considerate and avoid words that have a negative connotation. Why not use the word non-Muslim instead?

I have one friend, for example, who refers to "music" as "infidel noise." Is it really necessary? Isn't it part of compassion to refer to them respectfully? As that is what will provide the true meaning of Islam: peaceful and harmonious.

Correct me if I am mistaken.
Asalaamu Aaikum, this is a very valid point as we as Muslims should invite them towards the truth in the best and most beautiful way possible using wisdom and tact. Attacking them with derogatory words like "infidels" will not benefit anyone. We should align our intentions to that of trying to invite them towards Islam and the best form of dawah is one who shows exemplery character as well as good manners and ettiquette.

The Quran Says “Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord with wisdom & beautiful preaching & argue with them in ways that are best & most gracious. For thy Lord knoweth best, who have strayed from his path & who receive guidance.”

Holy Quran
Chapter Al Nahl 16:125

Commentary – Abdullah Yusuf Ali

"In this wonderful passage are laid down principles of religious teachings which are good for all times. But where are the teachers with such qualifications? We must invite all to the way of God & expound his universal will; we must do it with wisdom & discretion, meeting people on their ground & convincing them with illustrations from their own knowledge & experience, which may be very narrow or very wide. Our preaching must be not dogmatic, not self regarding, not offensive, but gentle, considerate, & as such would attract their attention. Our manner or arguments should not be acrimonious, but modeled on the most courteous & the most gracious example, so that the hearer may say to himself, “This man is not dealing merely with dialectics; he is not trying to get a rise out of me; he is sincerely expounding the faith that is in him, & his motives is the love of man & the love of God.”

It may be that the Preacher sometimes say to himself, “What is the use of teaching these people? They have made up their minds, or they are obstinate, or they are only trying to catch me out”. Let him not yield to such a thought. Who knows how the seed of the Word of God may germinate in people’s minds? It is not for man to look for results. Man’s inner thoughts are known best to God."

Some of us Muslims take the opposite route of what Almighty Allah has told us. We plainly tell the Non Muslims, “If you do not accept Islam you will go to hell”. That is not the way to invite someone towards the truth. So we must give dawah like Allah has said by using wisdom and tact. There is no wisdom in using a harsh approach and using harsh and derogatory terms such as infidel.

Our duty is to deliver the message to the best of our ability & then leave the rest to Almighty Allah. So let us invite them in the best most possible manner.

Abu Said Al-Khudri narrated that Allah’s Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “If a person embraces Islam sincerely, then Allah shall forgive all his past sins, and after that starts the settlement of accounts, the reward of his good deeds will be ten times to seven hundred times for each good deed and an evil deed will be recorded as it is unless Allah forgives it. (Bukhari, Vol. 1, Hadith 40)

Hakim ibn Hizam narrated: I said to Allah’s Messenger (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam), “Before embracing Islam I used to do good deeds like giving in charity, slave-manumitting, and the keeping of good relations with kith and kin. Shall I be rewarded for those deeds?” The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) replied, “You became Muslim with all those good deeds (without losing their reward).” (Bukhari, Vol. 2, Hadith 517)

It is ONLY Allah who guides people to Islam. Our only duty is to convey the Message of Tawhid (Oneness of Allah) and invite others to worship Almighty Allah in the best way possible using wisdom and tact. What better words are there than the words of those who invite towards the way of thier lord?

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!