/* */

PDA

View Full Version : California man arrested with explosives outside Dearborn Islamic center

-Fallen Angel-
02-01-2011, 12:29 AM
An ex-Army veteran from California who is accused of driving to Metro Detroit’s largest mosque with a trunk full of explosives is behind bars after being charged with making a terrorist threat.
Roger Stockham, 63, is charged with one count of a false report or threat of terrorism and one count of explosives-possession of bombs with unlawful intent after Dearborn police arrested him Monday outside the Islamic Center of America, one the largest mosques in North America.
http://www.infowars.com/california-m...slamic-center/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-01-2011, 02:02 AM
:sl:

Yea subhanAllah I heard about this. Crazy dude :/

SlaveOfGod
02-01-2011, 03:37 AM

And half of the world will not know about this.... typical :(

:wa:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-01-2011, 04:32 AM
^^Thats true lol. It doesnt even make it to the front row news.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
02-01-2011, 04:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SlaveOfGod
And half of the world will not know about this.... typical

I wouldn't have heard about this if not posted here.

Can we know the religion of the crazy guy?

maybe christian?

why hasn't the media labeled him as "CHRISTIAN TERRORIST"?

(not that we need another christian terrorist, now that we have hundreds of thousands of them in iraq and afghanistan)

Woodrow
02-01-2011, 04:58 AM
I am surprised it did not make much national news. The guy has quite a history.

DEARBORN, Mich. — A decorated Army veteran accused of plotting to blow up a Metro Detroit mosque served time in federal prison for threatening to kill President George W. Bush and bomb a Vermont veterans' clinic in 2002.

Roger Stockham, 63, who flew 600 combat helicopter missions in Vietnam, is behind bars in Michigan after he drove from his home in California last week and parked a car with a trunk full of explosives outside the Islamic Center of America, authorities said.

Acting on a tip, Dearborn police thwarted the alleged plot by arresting Stockham outside the sprawling religious center, one of the largest mosques in North America. At the time, 500 members were attending a funeral at the mosque.
SOURCE

Trumble
02-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I have to agree with you guys; if this had been a muslim outside a church it would be front page news everywhere. I've seen cats stuck up trees get more news coverage.

-Fallen Angel-
02-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Well, if there is a suicide bombing somewhere he's automatically Muslim (no way to prove if they are dead or its a remote detonation) and given a billion names by the Media but this guy gets no coverage, obviously because he's most likely non-muslim and the Media doesnt want people to know this because it would undermine their own agendas. Its just to make everyone think every terrorist is Muslim and Islam is a religion of terror. :\

glo
02-01-2011, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SlaveOfGod

And half of the world will not know about this.... typical :(

:wa:
Roger Stockham does not seem to have made it into the British news, but he has certainly been mentioned in the US news:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rog...ed=0CDAQqAIwAA

Ramadhan
02-02-2011, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Roger Stockham does not seem to have made it into the British news, but he has certainly been mentioned in the US news: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rog...ed=0CDAQqAIwAA

Get real for once, Glo.
What's NOT mentioned on the net?

Can you stop for a second and THINK or at least imagine what happened if it were a muslim with a bomb truck in front of a church in the USA?

Aprender
02-02-2011, 03:20 AM
I have to agree with the others. Had this been a Muslim man in front of a church this story would be bigger.

But to be fair, I also think the reason this story isn't getting much coverage is because of the events in Egypt. In the journalism world, Egypt is more newsworthy right now than this man.

Ramadhan
02-02-2011, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
But to be fair, I also think the reason this story isn't getting much coverage is because of the events in Egypt. In the journalism world, Egypt is more newsworthy right now than this man.

I disagree.
Egypt is foreign news. Most americans cannot even locate egypt on the map anyway.
Domestic news is always given much more weight.
Britney Spears' fart would probably get more publicity than hundreds of people died in a sinking ferry somewhere in the red sea.

Muezzin
02-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Now that is one crazy old man.

GuestFellow
02-06-2011, 03:42 PM

How stupid. Don't expect the mainstream media to report this, they are too busy focusing on Muslims taking over the world. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Pygoscelis
02-07-2011, 02:54 AM
I agree that this is a good example of biased media. Had this been a muslim outside a church it would be front page news. And Fox News would be talking about it for months to come. Since the guy is probably christian, nobody seems to notice or care.

shakylla
02-07-2011, 03:06 AM
I'm really sorry to break it to everyone, but apparently, this Stockham person is a Muslim convert. *face palm*

I know that we are discouraged from engaging in sectarian disputes or discussions, but according to an article (I can't post the link since I'm a limited member—oopsie), Stockham considered himself a Sunni Muslim, and while it's uncertain whether the Islamic center he had targeted is a place of worship for Shiites specifically, he had rejected an appointed counsel because—according to Stockham, at least—he is a Shiite who worships at said Islamic center.

By J. Patrick Pepper
Press & Guide Newspapers

DEARBORN — The preliminary examination Friday for the man accused of making terrorist threats toward the Islamic Center of America was adjourned until next week.

Attorney Matthew Evans cited a lack of preparation in requesting the adjournment. Evans was thrust into the defender role just minutes before the request, after defendant Roger Stockham rejected his initial court-appointed attorney, Mark Haidar. The rescheduled exam is set for next Friday.

Stockham, a convert to Islam, said in court he wouldn't accept Haidar because — according to Stockham — Haidar is a Shi'ite Muslim who worships at the Islamic Center.

“I reject my appointed counsel. He is a Shi'ite and I am not. And he attends the mosque I am attempted of accusing (sic),” he said, before he was cut off by 19th District Judge Mark Somers.

Somers interjected, saying he wanted things to get off on the right foot and subsequently appointed Evans, who was already at the courthouse.

Haidar was not at the hearing. His stand-in, attorney Jeffrey Schwartz, said he was taken by surprise with the comments. He said Haidar is a Muslim, but was not sure if he was Shi'ite or if he worshipped at the Islamic Center.

“I don’t know what (Haidar) disclosed to him,” Schwartz said. “This kind of caught me by surprise, to be honest.”

Haidar could not immediately be reached for comment, but credible court sources said Stockham spoke fluent Arabic during their interview and quoted Qur’anic verses.

During the hearing, Schwartz said Haidar instructed him to request a mental competency exam based on his interview of Stockham and Stockham's history of mental illness.

Stockham has been in and out of correctional and mental institutions for the last three decades. In 2003, his most recent brush with the law. Stockham was sent to federal prison for saying he was going to kill President George W. Bush and making bomb threats at a Vermont Veterans Hospital. He was released in 2005. Despite the checkered past, his new attorney, Evans, was convinced Stockham is not mentally incompetent.

Before granting the adjournment, Somers cautioned that he didn’t want to come back in a week only to have a mental competency exam requested.

“I had an extensive conversation with Mr. Stockham and he fully understands what’s going on,” Evans reassured him. "He understands my role, he understands your role, he understands the prosecutor's role, and he understands the charges."

The man who tipped off police off and is the key witness in the case, Joe Nahhas, was on hand at the courthouse in the event the preliminary examination did take place. He was not bothered by the adjournment.

“I am here as required,” he said. “I will be here next Friday.”

Nahhas will need to be there if the case is going to be succesfully prosecuted. His testimony is the only difference between Stockham being charged with terrorist threats and simply having some illegal fireworks.

Stockham was in the bar Nahhas manages, J.S. Fields Pub & Grille in Detroit, on Jan. 24 and allegedly told Nahhas about his plans to "make history" with an explosion at a local mosque. J.S. Fields is about a half-mile east of the Islamic Center on Ford Road.

Stockham was arrested that evening in the mosque's parking lot carrying illegal fireworks. Police said Stockham drove to Michigan from his home in Imperial Beach, Calif., reportedly with a plan to set off the fireworks at the mosque, which connects to the Muslim American Youth Academy.

When he was arrested, Stockham was wearing a black ski mask and police discovered about a dozen M-80-style fireworks. He faces one count of threat of terrorism or false report and one count of explosive-possession of bombs with unlawful intent for possession of Class C fireworks. The charges are 20- and 15-year felonies, respectively.

Najar, the prosecutor, is confident the evidence will bear out the charges.

"Of course I'm confident," he said, to a pack of reporters after the hearing. "The detectives on this case from Dearborn — I've dealth with on many, many cases — they do an incredible job investigating cases. They put together the case in really good fashion. I have confidence in their investigation. I've read the investigation and for all those reasons I'm confident."
It's not my intention to start some kind of sectarian dispute or embarrass any of the members, but I thought this piece of information would be important.

Aprender
02-07-2011, 04:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by shakylla
I'm really sorry to break it to everyone, but apparently, this Stockham person is a Muslim convert. *face palm*

I know that we are discouraged from engaging in sectarian disputes or discussions, but according to an article (I can't post the link since I'm a limited member—oopsie), Stockham considered himself a Sunni Muslim, and while it's uncertain whether the Islamic center he had targeted is a place of worship for Shiites specifically, he had rejected an appointed counsel because—according to Stockham, at least—he is a Shiite who worships at said Islamic center.

It's not my intention to start some kind of sectarian dispute or embarrass any of the members, but I thought this piece of information would be important.
Thank you for the update. I admit I haven't been following this story but this is good to know.

Woodrow
02-07-2011, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Thank you for the update. I admit I haven't been following this story but this is good to know.
Odd twist, taking place. The Dearborn Islamic center is Shi'i as are the majority of Muslims in Dearborn. Dearborn is the first US city to have predominately Muslim city officials. But the city is nearly 100% Shi'i

Stochholm is a casualty of Vietnam and one of many Vets of the era with PTSD and frequently unable to recognize if he is back in the US or still on the battlefield in Vietnam.

It is very possible that Stockholm is a revert as many Vietnam era vets have reverted to to Islam.

Given Stockholms history of mental instability, in his twisted mind he just may see the Dearborn Shi'i as a threat to Islam.

Muezzin
02-09-2011, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shakylla

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!