PDA

View Full Version : past tense query

nutty
02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Assalamun alaikum

I wanted to know:-

na-sa-ra = he helped

as-la-mu (hamzah,sin,lan and mim) = he submitted

How can 'aslamu' be past tense when all the ending of past tense are at the end of the word. There is an hamzah at the begining of 'aslamu'..

Is aslamu a pre-fixed word like nasara...

What i want to know how come there is a hamzah in 'aslamu' shouldnt it be salamu (he submitted)

is as-la-mu and sa-la- mu to different words

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insaanah
02-06-2011, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nutty
Assalamun alaikum
:wa:

na-sa-ra = he helped
That's right. As you may/may not know, there are ten main different patterns of past tense verb. The pattern for the above na-sa-ra, is called fa-3a-la (where 3 represents the letter 'ain). Where there are two 3's, that represents an 'ain with a shaddah on it.

fa 3a la is called pattern number 1.

The others most common ones are:

2. fa33ala

3. faa3ala

4. af3ala

5. tafa33ala

6. tafaa3ala

7. infa3ala

8. ifta3ala

9. if3alla

10. istaf3ala

All of the above are past tense verb patterns. Not every word will have derivatives to fit all ten patterns.

Each pattern also has a specific pattern for the present tense, but I'm not putting them all here so as not to complicate things.

as-la-mu (hamzah,sin,lan and mim) = he submitted
Actually, aslamu is a present tense verb that means "I am safe". It is the present tense of the verb sa-li-ma (he was safe). salima is pattern no 1.

"He submitted" is aslama (pattern number 4). And the present tense of this is yuslimu (he submits), or uslimu (I submit) etc.

So,
salima (past), yaslamu or aslamu (present) = safe
aslama (past), yuslimu or uslimu (present) = submit

How can 'aslamu' be past tense
It's present tense. see above.

shouldnt it be salamu (he submitted)
The past tense verb for he submitted is aslama

There isn't a verb called salamu. salima = he was safe.

What i want to know how come there is a hamzah in 'aslamu'
Aslamu = I am safe. The hamza here means "I".

And aslama (verb pattern 4) always has a hamza at the beginning.

Please let me know if that doesn't make sense, as I don't think I've explained it very well.

:sl:

$tr@wB3rRy
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Wa 'Aleykum Salaam wa rahmatullaah,

Insaanah you have explained it very well, maa'shaa'Allaah girl :D

But i thought that aslamu is an ism (noun)?

nutty
02-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorrry my mistake...it shuld have bein as-la-ma......and sa-li-ma...ur right....

jazak-Allah for your explaination.

so na-sa-ra = he helped
an-sa-ra would be he helped as well? (based on pattern 4)

so what kind of word does pattern 4 come out with...cloud you please give some explain..just to get some ideas.

jazak-Allah sister

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insaanah
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM

an-sa-ra would be he helped as well? (based on pattern 4)
As far as I know, nasara doesn't come on verb pattern 4. It comes as verb pattern 8 though, intasara, which means to conquer or to triumph.

so what kind of word does pattern 4 come out with...cloud you please give some explain..just to get some ideas.
Sure, here are some examples of verb pattern 4:

akhraja = he brought out. Derived from it's pattern 1 origin kharaja= he went out.
anzala = he brought down. Derived from it's pattern 1 origin nazala= he came down.
ajlasa = he seated someone (i.e. made them sit down). Derived from it's pattern 1 origin jalasa = he sat.
arsala = he sent. Doesn't have any pattern 1 origin.

Verb pattern 4, generally, but not always, denotes carrying out an action to someone/something else, or to cause something to happen (eg akhraja, to bring something out, or to cause something/someone to come out, anzala, to bring something down, or to cause something to come down, ajlasa, to make someone sit down, arsala, to send something/someone etc).

Not sure if that was what you meant by your question, let me know if not.

nutty
02-08-2011, 11:54 AM
jazak-Allah sister...i think i got a rough idea of the verb forms...i think i just need to get my head around it and understand it proplerly...May Allah reward you :-)

Insaanah
02-08-2011, 08:03 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by $tr@wB3rRy
i thought that aslamu is an ism (noun)?
There is a word called aslamu which is a noun. It is derived from the verb salima, yaslamu (safe). In this pattern the verb aslamu means "I am safe".

One of the nouns derived from this verb is also called aslamu, and it means "safer/safest, or more secure/securest".

An example of it's usage in a sentence would be, "hum aslamu minkum". Meaning: "They are safer than you."

These types of nouns are called in Arabic ismu at-tafdeel, and they are called in English "adjectives in the comparative or superlative degrees", e.g. not just "safe", but safer or safest. They always come on the pattern of af3alu.

To try to work out what the meaning of a word on the pattern of af3alu would be in a sentence, you would have to look at context of the sentence itself and the words that come after it for clues.

Sorry if I have confused things for the OP.

jazak-Allah sister
Wa iyyaak. May Allah make things easy for you. Ameen.

nutty
02-09-2011, 01:43 PM
no sister u havent confused me instead uve helped me alot with ur simple expalnation...jazak-Allah Khair

- Qatada -
02-10-2011, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah

That's right. As you may/may not know, there are ten main different patterns of past tense verb. The pattern for the above na-sa-ra, is called fa-3a-la (where 3 represents the letter 'ain). Where there are two 3's, that represents an 'ain with a shaddah on it.

fa 3a la is called pattern number 1.

The others most common ones are:

2. fa33ala

3. faa3ala

4. af3ala

5. tafa33ala

6. tafaa3ala

7. infa3ala

8. ifta3ala

9. if3alla

10. istaf3ala

All of the above are past tense verb patterns. Not every word will have derivatives to fit all ten patterns.

Each pattern also has a specific pattern for the present tense, but I'm not putting them all here so as not to complicate things.

:salamext:

Jazakillah khayr sister, can you also give examples for each of these please?

And also, can you give the list for the Present tense aswell as examples for them?

That would be really useful for all of us.

Insaanah
02-11-2011, 10:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:wasalamex

Jazakillah khayr sister, can you also give examples for each of these please?

And also, can you give the list for the Present tense aswell as examples for them?

That would be really useful for all of us.
I will do my best inshaa'Allah...

* The fat'hah "a" here may be replaced by dammah, "fa3ula" e.g. ba3uda ( he was far), or kasrah "fa3ila" e.g. 3alima (he knew)

** The fat'hah "a" here may be replaced by dammah, "Yaf3ulu" e.g. kataba yaktubu (to write), or kasrah "Yaf3ilu" e.g. ghasala yaghsilu (to wash)

*** note: These may not always apply, there may be other meanings not mentioned, and some verbs on these patterns don't follow these meanings.

The words in italics in the "word meaning" column are the basic fa3ala pattern from which the verb given has been derived.

The above words are all in third person singular, e.g. "he did" for the past tense, and "he does" for the present tense.

Please let me know if it's not clear or doesn't make sense.

Jazaakumullah khayr.

- Qatada -
02-13-2011, 09:35 AM
:salamext

Jazakillah khayr.

I mean like the following formatting;

present: yaF3aLu (he does) - [past tense: Fa3aLa]. Ie. yaDRiBu (present - he hits) / DaRaBa. (past- he hit)

Can you do that for the rest of the forms? With examples? Jazakillah khayr.

Insaanah
02-13-2011, 10:50 AM
:salamext

I mean like the following formatting;

present: yaF3aLu (he does) - [past tense: Fa3aLa]. Ie. yaDRiBu (present - he hits) / DaRaBa. (past- he hit)

Can you do that for the rest of the forms? With examples? Jazakillah khayr.
I did that above in the fourth column called "Example", with the meaning in the 5th column and then explained underneath the table that the examples given are on the pattern of "he did, he does", so for example, pattern no 1, ghafara = he forgave, yaghfiru = he forgives.

My apologies if the above didn't really help.

Here they are in the format you suggested:

Is that any better?

- Qatada -
02-13-2011, 11:27 AM
asalam alykum

Sorry, i cant see images if you have posted any. Have you posted images of tables with the different rules?

What i originally meant is you explained pattern 1. But the other patterns like Fa33ala, istaf3alla, and all the rest - if u could show their past/present form and examples of their useage (with meanings).

If you've done that already, and posted tables as images, then i will check them insha Allah when i get access to a computer (i'm on mobile yet.)

Jazakillah khayr.

Insaanah
02-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Aaah that explains it. Yes, I've inserted tables as images, because you can't insert tables directly into a post (as far as I know). And without the lines to separate things it wouldn't be very clear.

If you've done that already, and posted tables as images, then i will check them insha Allah when i get access to a computer (i'm on mobile yet.)

Jazakillah khayr.
Ok. Wa iyaak.

- Qatada -
02-13-2011, 02:54 PM

jazakillah khayr! thats exactly what i wanted. Buwrikallahu feeki!

- Qatada -
02-15-2011, 05:09 PM
asalam alykum warahmatulah wabarakatuh

Are there more which you can add to the table? I heard there are more ie. Baab al Taf3eel etc.

Can you add the rest you know to the table aswell? Jazakillah khayr.

nutty
02-15-2011, 10:15 PM
jazak-Allah for the table sister..i was looking for something like this, it helps to simpliy things for me, knowin there are other patterns and theyr all different..this will insha-Allah help me understand the verbs better.

Insaanah
02-17-2011, 10:53 AM
asalam alykum warahmatulah wabarakatuh

Are there more which you can add to the table? I heard there are more ie. Baab al Taf3eel etc.

Can you add the rest you know to the table aswell? Jazakillah khayr.

Baab al taF3eeL (taF3eeLun with the tanween) isn't actually a verb pattern. It is a pattern of masdar. Masdar is a "verbal noun", or the noun derived from a verb. If you did the action specified by the verb, the masdar is the noun that action would be called. Because the masdar is a noun, it can take al or tanween.

taF3eeL (or taF3eeLun with the tanween), is the masdar pattern for verb pattern 2:

So: Fa33aLa (past), yuFa33iLu (present), taF3eeL (masdar).

For example:

SaBBaHa (he glorified), yuSaBBiHu (he glorifies), taSBeeH (glorification)
3aLLaMa (he taught), yu3aLLiMu (he teaches), ta3LeeM (education)
DaMMaRA (he destroyed), yuDaMMiRu (he destroys), taDMeeR (destruction)

In certain cases, the masdar for verb pattern 2 comes on the pattern of taF3iLatun instead of taF3eeL. This is when the third radical (i.e third letter) of the verb (Fa33aLa), in the position of the laam of Fa33aLa, is hamza, wow, or ya.

Each verb pattern (apart from 1) has a set pattern of Masdar. I have added them to the table. The "un" in italics at the end of each masdar pattern denotes tanween.

I just realised in the first row, far right, I forgot to put the meaning of maGHFiRatun, which is forgiveness.

jazak-Allah for the table sister
Wa iyaak. I only hope it is of benefit.

- Qatada -
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM

alhamdulillah that's really beneficial! jazakillah khayr.

i like the way the tables becoming even more useful and expanding.

Wyatt
02-20-2011, 08:51 PM
A great great book for explaining the different types of verbs and conjugation is Arabic Verbs and Essentials of Grammar. I have this, and if you get 501 Arabic Verbs (Fully Conjugated), it's also an amazing help since verbs can be so confusing sometimes. However, this is if you have extra money lying around for buying grammar books.

I plan on getting a website soon, and working on explaining the grammar of various languages on it. I think an extensive section on Arabic verbs would be really fun to make. But, I have yet to master them, myself.

Good luck! And thanks everyone for the charts and posts. It's really helpful.

Insaanah
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
A great great book for explaining the different types of verbs and conjugation is Arabic Verbs and Essentials of Grammar. I have this, and if you get 501 Arabic Verbs (Fully Conjugated), it's also an amazing help since verbs can be so confusing sometimes. However, this is if you have extra money lying around for buying grammar books.
Greetings Wyatt,

Thank you for those links. The books look really helpful. I found the first book you mentioned available online as a PDF that can be downloaded here and the second one looks good too.

format_quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
Good luck! And thanks everyone for the charts and posts. It's really helpful.
Thank you. We are all learning here. Good luck with your website endeavours.

Peace.

Wyatt
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks a lot for the link! It's a great bookmark for others and for a resource if my book isn't with me at the time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!