/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which phone?

Nájlá
02-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Asalamu Alaykum,

I need a new phone but I honestly don't know much about them but there's these two phones that I've had my eyes on for a few weeks now.

But am stuck I don't know what to get and whether it would be worth it if I buy any of these two the Sony Ericisson x10 Mini pro and the Black berry curve 8520 all I want is a smartphone for a good price.

I personally like the SE more but what's putting me off is the size of it and am not sure if I'll manage to use it since I've never had a touch phone before and If I do get it then am getting the one with the keypad. the last phone I've had was Sony ericssion w890i another thing about this phone is that the bluetooth doesn't work I have to download a app for it or whatever it is now its really important for me. But I love everything about the phone especially the android market.

And the blackberry I just like the BlackBerry messenger and that its not touch and that's it. But nearly everyone in my school has the blackberry.

What do you think brothers and sisters? Has anyone had any of these two phones? if so what are they like and do you suggest any other phone?

Or

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Nokia E5!

blackberry 3g

LG optimus

Salahudeen
02-09-2011, 10:15 PM
You know for the blackberry messenger you have to pay a monthly £5 many people are under the misconeption it's free,

cat eyes
02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
well i have the n97 and its very good fone

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SlaveOfGod
02-09-2011, 10:21 PM
:sl:

It depends on you sister, some people can't leave without they're Blackberries. But as an alrounder I'd definitely suggest any iPhone. Some of it's apps are amazing! Aroundme shows you your nearest Mosques, banks, restuarants etc.

Salahudeen
02-09-2011, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SlaveOfGod

It depends on you sister, some people can't leave without they're Blackberries. But as an alrounder I'd definitely suggest any iPhone. Some of it's apps are amazing! Aroundme shows you your nearest Mosques, banks, restuarants etc.
Black berry's have built in GPS I think. So you wouldn't need the apps. Not sure if the blackberry that the OP is enquiring about has it though.

GuestFellow
02-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Salaam.

I like Blackberry but I'm happy with my LG...even though I hate touchscreen. <_<

SlaveOfGod
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Black berry's have built in GPS I think. So you wouldn't need the apps. Not sure if the blackberry that the OP is enquiring about has it though.
I don't mean to sound like an iPhone advertiser but the iPhone has a journey planner on around me, you simply type in whatever you are looking for and it'll tell you how close it is plus the directions, no need for postcodes too. It has a Qibla compass which finds the Qibla for you and also a free Quran app with bookmarks, translation and a reciator!

But everyone has a different preference Akhi :)

Salahudeen
02-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't mean to sound like an iPhone advertiser but the iPhone has a journey planner on around me, you simply type in whatever you are looking for and it'll tell you how close it is plus the directions, no need for postcodes too. It has a Qibla compass which finds the Qibla for you and also a free Quran app with bookmarks, translation and a reciator!

ah stop it you're making me want one! :heated:

Dagless
02-09-2011, 10:46 PM

Android does the same thing on Google Maps, it also has turn by turn voice navigation (free).

Salahudeen
02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Found these two reviews on Amazon of the Black berry you're interested in. It may be helpful.

I bought this blackberry on a whim really, Id never had one before. i wish Id done more background checks into them now to be honest. It does the job its designed for admirably, which is pushing emails. However, GPRS data conection????? What year are we in now? Its unbelievably slow at times, and gives up at others. If you hope to use things like facebook, then dont bother with this its far too slow. You can use Wireless connections but the built in software seems to limit the speed of this too. No its not the wireless speed, its the phone software.

Another shortfall would be the lack of GPS I downloaded a security program for it from BB app world, but it requires GPS to work so that was a waste of time. also the maps need it to run efficiently, which is another thing, they do work somewhat over the GPRS network using the phone masts, but I was placed approximately 18 miles away on two occasions while using the my location facility!! Hardly accurate!

i give it 4 stars because it is a really useful tool, it just lacks in some areas. I should have done more research before buying really but I'll know now what to buy in the future.
Having bought this smartphone in September 2010 I now find that I should have done more research. The product is very slick, certainly a jump up from my last phone, but the instructions that are supplied with it are very basic and I only found out how to get it connected to the network and pick up emails by rooting around the t-mobile website. Battery life is just 48 hours, but charging time is quite quick at an hour or so. Accessing the web via GPRS is painfully slow, and at home, the Blackberry recognises my wireless router but does not allow me to use it to access the internet and download apps quickly. Blackberry don't seem to have a free customer contact point, and the many forums do not have a solution. My son's iPod touch works seamlessly with our router but my BB8520 is tied to t-mobile's network....pretty useless. If anyone knows why this is the case, please enlighten me, in the meantime check out the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy, or anything else!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0038K5V9...SIN=B0038K5V94

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Id suggest trying to keep it between the three most used OSs out there (to the best of my knowledge) iOs, Android or Blackberry simply because more support, more updates and more newer features. Between the three, I'd go with Android first and then either iOs or BlackBerry.

Android is the best though..Gingerbread ftw! :D

Woodrow
02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Ijust want a cheap pjone that will be able to get a connection on the Lakotah reservations. We tried a bunch of them and several different carriers. We have yet to find one that we can gets a signal on unless we are near Fargo or Bismarck.

Cabdullahi
02-09-2011, 11:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Ijust want a cheap pjone that will be able to get a connection on the Lakotah reservations. We tried a bunch of them and several different carriers. We have yet to find one that we can gets a signal on unless we are near Fargo or Bismarck.
uncle try the nokia e5..superb reception

Dagless
02-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Rent (or buy) a satellite phone.

Cabdullahi
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Rent (or buy) a satellite phone.
its very expensive

500 - 2000 pounds

you could buy 3/4 iphones with that kind of money

Woodrow
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
uncle try the nokia e5..superb reception
Did try it and still no signal. Most of the Dakotahs, and Montana have no cell phone towers. We laugh about it and call it the Northern Bermuda triangle.

For example The coverage area for Cingular:

That is typical for just about every cellular phone carrier. No coverage for the North Central and Rocky Mountain States.

Dagless
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
its very expensive

500 - 2000 pounds

you could buy 3/4 iphones with that kind of money
It depends how often you need it, google says $28/week. I'm sure you could get it cheaper after some hunting. Some places will never have masts so it's the only solution.

Cabdullahi
02-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Did try it and still no signal. Most of the Dakotahs, and Montana have no cell phone towers. We laugh about it and call it the Northern Bermuda triangle.

For example The coverage area for Cingular:

That is typical for just about every cellular phone carrier. No coverage for the North Central and Rocky Mountain States.
Satellite phone it is then :)

Woodrow
02-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Satellite phone it is then :)
I just did a search for some--------Please pass the aspirins, I feel a headache coming on:

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Nokia E72. I too hate touch screens. :ermm:

Beardo
02-10-2011, 04:10 AM
I always prefer touch screens....

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-10-2011, 04:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
If a capacitive one then it's fine otherwise i feel like tossing away the phone...:ermm:

Ramadhan
02-10-2011, 04:29 AM
I actually am using Blackberry curve 8520.

I am stuck with blackberry because most people I know here (family, friends and colleagues) are on them, and it's just easy to get connected to everyone on Blackberry Messenger/BBM (and yes, it's an awesome system). The push email is also the best of any other phones. I usually get emails delivered to my BB faster than they arrive on my computer's outlook inbox.

But other than those two (BBM and push email), blackberry is pedestrian. There's no built-in GPS in 8520, but you can download googlemaps for BB, it works on triangulate the BTS, so it's not as good as GPS, but it's okay if the BTS density in the area is high.

A friend of mine is using SE X10 Minipro. The phone is too small to my liking, but it has better interface and better web experience than BB 8520. The keyboard is also too small for my stubby fingers.

If you want to get Blackberry and if you have enough budget, Blackberry Bold 9780 is a much better choice.

tigerkhan
02-10-2011, 04:48 AM
i feeling sad by reading this.........how much u ppl are attached and attracted to worldly things.

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-10-2011, 04:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
i feeling sad by reading this.........how much u ppl are attached and attracted to worldly things.
Don't you use a phone, khan saab?

tigerkhan
02-10-2011, 05:33 AM
yes i used it, i use it for receiving calls or to call some one. yes sometime i send sms also... lol
u blv i am that kind of person, u know Prophet PBUH had take a very less benefit of this dunia. even there was no light in masjid nabvi upto 9 years from hijra. prophet PBUH used to eat v.less even they have food. that mean we should utilise this dunia only and only in the case, there in intense need. i blv, ok today we need to contact someone so moblie phone is our need, but u purchase a simple one, just for fulfill ur need. toady we are more indulge in needs and this dunia.
i am sorry to OP but if i can suggest u, take a simple one and give that additional money u gonna spent for this to some poor. Allah SWT will reward in both worlds insh.

Beardo
02-10-2011, 06:13 AM
I just did a search for some--------Please pass the aspirins, I feel a headache coming on:

LOL! Ah, the joys of marriage...

I recently got the iPhone 3GS. Alhamdulillah much for that!

Danah
02-10-2011, 08:39 AM
HTC HD2 will be my next phone inshaAllah. I dunno why I bought my current blackberry curve 8900, it didn't give me what I was looking for

yahia12
02-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Iphone 4. Really fantastic phone. there are alot of apps including Quran. But i am sure there are on htc desire hd.

GuestFellow
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid
Nokia E72. I too hate touch screens. :ermm:
*Throws confetti*

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
<_<

I rarely use my mobile phone, I have no one to talk to. I do know people who use their mobile phone constantly...

Nájlá
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone... I too hate touchscreen only when it comes to texting though otherwise I don't mind it and I text ALOT. so its got to be a non touch phone or with a keypad.

Iphone.... I don't like them too big and heavy my mate has the Iphone 4 and its really cool nice features etc but don't like the style.

LG are nice too... But the one I want is touch :/

Nokia... I never really liked them because of the way they look :X but the N97 is really cool just what I want but I haven't exactly got the right money.

And no blackberry I've read so many bad reviews about them... The SE x10 mini pro is still a chose its just what I want if only it was a tiny bit bigger. And Inshallah whatever phone I get its got to have android.

Ramadhan
02-10-2011, 03:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá
And Inshallah whatever phone I get its got to have android.

These are the best android phones:

Samsung epic 4G http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...pic-4g-review/
HTC Desire http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34148222.html
Motorola Atrix 4G http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34468396.html
HTC Evo 4G http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...ew?tag=rvwBody

They cost quit a bit. One thing to remember: Android as a system has not stabilised, so from the point of view as end user it's not good because you will need to constantly update the system when they release a new version.

Dagless
02-10-2011, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

These are the best android phones:

Samsung epic 4G http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...pic-4g-review/
HTC Desire http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34148222.html
Motorola Atrix 4G http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...-34468396.html
HTC Evo 4G http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...ew?tag=rvwBody

They cost quit a bit. One thing to remember: Android as a system has not stabilised, so from the point of view as end user it's not good because you will need to constantly update the system when they release a new version.
I think Abdullahii mentioned the LG Optimus which (like the Atrix) also has a dual core processor. The 3D version of it will be released very soon.

Cabdullahi
02-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Lg optimus one!..................the cam is fab....the screen is fab.....everything is fab.......you'll feel fab....texting away!

Nájlá
05-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Ended up getting the motorola defy.. Love it, my lil baby <3

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Iphone 4 coming soon here. Looking forward to buying that, In Sha' Allah. :)

Reflections
05-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Iphone 4 really isn't all that.

Cabdullahi
05-21-2011, 03:47 PM
you made the right decision....a rugged phone that will not break

Ramadhan
05-21-2011, 05:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thequietone
you made the right decision....a rugged phone that will not break
It does seem like unbreakable, and water resistant too!

Mr.President
05-21-2011, 05:34 PM
if u r willing take an extra battery pack + charger then go 4 the iPhone rich look tons of apps its a superb phone but sux on battery life

Dagless
05-21-2011, 08:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd Al-Maajid
Iphone 4 coming soon here. Looking forward to buying that, In Sha' Allah. :)
iPhone 5 is out this year.

'Abd Al-Maajid
05-22-2011, 06:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
iPhone 5 is out this year.

You know what we live in a developing country...And steve jobs is not interested in launching their products in india soon...

Danah
05-22-2011, 03:04 PM
oh good mabrook :)

My brother got a samsung galaxy S one week ago, he wanted to get an iphone 4 but I hardly managed to change his mind so he won't end up disappointed like myself!.....I think iphones are not really that good and I will never buy an iphone or an ipad or even an ipod again.....not my style at all and I fed up their stupid restrictions.

Revert 2010
05-22-2011, 03:16 PM
I may get a HTC or if the iPhone 5 comes out I may get that one.

Nájlá
05-22-2011, 04:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

oh good mabrook :)

My brother got a samsung galaxy S one week ago, he wanted to get an iphone 4 but I hardly managed to change his mind so he won't end up disappointed like myself!.....I think iphones are not really that good and I will never buy an iphone or an ipad or even an ipod again.....not my style at all and I fed up their stupid restrictions.

Oooh I was going to get the samsung galaxy S but got the motorola one... are they so bad? my brother just ordered one :hmm:

I am glad I never got a blackberry, everyone is moaning about them.

Danah
05-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Oooh I was going to get the samsung galaxy S but got the motorola one... are they so bad? my brother just ordered one :hmm:

Maybe your brother will like it, after all it depends on the personal preferences of the user and what they expect from their devices. but as for me I will never get any of them.

I dunno about motorola ones

yas2010
05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
I have galaxy S, but to be honest prefer the Nokia 8010, a very old little phone. Showing my age :)

Nájlá
05-22-2011, 08:37 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

Maybe your brother will like it, after all it depends on the personal preferences of the user and what they expect from their devices. but as for me I will never get any of them.

I dunno about motorola ones
I hope he likes it! HTC are meant to be good... get one of them :p Motorola phones arnt meant to be good but I love this phone that I have.

Reflections
05-22-2011, 09:39 PM

I like my blackberry! It's so efficient for me alhumdulilah..can't complain about it.

Nájlá
05-22-2011, 09:44 PM
lol that's good then sis... ^

Abu Loren
03-20-2013, 10:43 AM
What a sad poll.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-20-2013, 01:17 PM
This thread is almost 2 years old. Those phones are obsolete now. :p

GuestFellow
03-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Yeah now we have the new new new new new new new Iphone.

sister herb
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Was phone before that tool we just used as called to another person, then talked with him/her?

Seems I really live in the cave as it is still same to me.

Nájlá
01-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Now I have the Galaxy s3 :p

@sister herb I miss the old days. Sometimes I wish I was born at a time when there was no technology. Technology these days are getting scary :exhausted

Scimitar
01-17-2014, 12:27 PM
^^

<---

(facepalm?)

EDIT: I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 also, running jellybean 4.3 very nicely :)

Nájlá
01-17-2014, 01:19 PM
That's nice. Nice to see Muslim app developers. :) What kind of apps do you work on for android? I love my s3 and am an android fan but am not a geek on tech :hiding:

Scimitar
01-17-2014, 04:22 PM
Apps for small to medium sized businesses, such as this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mthai01.layout - android

https://itunes.apple.com/kn/app/yumy...703761676?mt=8 - IOS

Scimi

BeTheChange
01-17-2014, 05:09 PM
I love Nokia's as it has a very long battery life. I would never buy a smart phone the battery life really really annoys me!

I can keep my phone for 2/3 weeks without charging it (i hardly use it but when i do it's mainly to text)

Does the apple symbol symbolise Adam PBUH eating the forbidden apple?

Insaanah
01-21-2014, 12:20 PM
For many people, all the phones discussed in this thread (even old obsolete ones), will be completely out of reach budgetwise/moneywise. Now, though, there are many budget smartphones coming onto the market. They may not have processors that are superfast, or run the very latest versions of operating systems, but if you want smartphone features, you can now get them for around £50-60 UK (some even £40, at the cheapest) + £10 top up, which means you don't need to be tied into a monthly contract if you don't make a lot of calls/texts. Some though, will define budget as less than £100, and at that end of the range, the specs will most likely be better, though some cheaper ones are giving more expensive ones a run for their money. You have to do your research and read reviews carefully though before buying, so that you don't end up with one say where you have to touch the screen with brute force for it to do anything!

i feeling sad by reading this.........how much u ppl are attached and attracted to worldly things
yes i used it, i use it for receiving calls or to call some one. yes sometime i send sms also... lol
u blv i am that kind of person, u know Prophet PBUH had take a very less benefit of this dunia. even there was no light in masjid nabvi upto 9 years from hijra. prophet PBUH used to eat v.less even they have food. that mean we should utilise this dunia only and only in the case, there in intense need. i blv, ok today we need to contact someone so moblie phone is our need, but u purchase a simple one, just for fulfill ur need. toady we are more indulge in needs and this dunia.
i am sorry to OP but if i can suggest u, take a simple one and give that additional money u gonna spent for this to some poor. Allah SWT will reward in both worlds insh.
Remember though, that Islam doesn't forbid us from making beneficial use of technology, or spending our money on facilities for ourselves. There are many apps nowadays, I hear, that actually help with the deen, of Qur'an and hadeeth that you can read on the go, prayer time reminders etc. Most of us posting here will have a computer of some form. Computers can be used for good or bad. Same with phones. Depends how you use them.

UmmuShaheed
01-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Asalamu Alaykum
iPhone or Android?
I cant decide between the galaxy s4/note 3 or newest iPhone

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!