/* */

PDA

View Full Version : When I say Egypt, you say...

Beardo
02-12-2011, 05:19 AM
What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word Egypt?

For me, it's:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
02-12-2011, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

For me, it's:

Aah thats Osiris holding the hands of his sister and wife Isis and his evil brother Seth sitting down wrapped in mummified cloth and i think thats Anubis behind him.

Ramadhan
02-12-2011, 07:33 AM
This....
I know it's a cliche, but I've never been to egypt

Ummu Sufyaan
02-12-2011, 08:02 AM
O Allah grant Egypt a pious Muslim leader who will fear You and implement your laws of your earth.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sherz_umr
02-12-2011, 09:19 AM
i thnk of pyramids too..

elina
02-12-2011, 09:47 AM
the first thing that springs to mind thinking of Egypt is an old scooby doo cartoon i watched as a kid... i was terrified of the mummy and had nightmares for a week, made worse by my sister covering herself with toilet roll and jumping out of the cupboard at me :( i was traumatised!!!! the fact that she was grounded for a week for wasting all the toilet roll didnt make the trauma any easier to deal with :( lol

Cabdullahi
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
when i hear egypt....i visualize ful on a plate with olive oil and sprinkled feta cheese booya!

Al-Mufarridun
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Musa(as) and Pharaoh.

Hannah.
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
the movie sequels of "the Mummy"

Rafeeq
02-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Earlier, pharoas were springing in my mind when I heard word Masr, now Hosni Mubarak :p

titus
02-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Cleopatra and Pharoahs

glo
02-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Moses and Pharaoh

ardianto
02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

For me, it's:

A picture from a tomb.
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Aah thats Osiris holding the hands of his sister and wife Isis and his evil brother Seth sitting down wrapped in mummified cloth and i think thats Anubis behind him.
The falcon headed figure second from left is Horus. He hold the hand of dead woman that buried in this tomb. I don't know figure in center, but the sitting figure that wrapped in mummified cloth is Osiris. Behind him are Isis and Nephthys (look carefully, there are two figures behind Osiris).

IslamicRevival
02-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Pyramids! But from today onwards, the Egyptian revolution will be the first thing that will spring to mind InshAllah :)

GuestFellow
02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
:sl:

^ This. The statute used to scare me when I was little. It looked demonic to me. =/

جوري
02-13-2011, 03:02 AM

Ramadhan
02-13-2011, 03:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
^ This. The statute used to scare me when I was little. It looked demonic to me. =/

When I was a kid, I was so fascinated by ancient egypt settings in many of those belgian comics.

And i remember that Obelix (as in Asterix) accidentally broke off the nose of the sphinx, hence the nose-less sphinx :D

Ramadhan
02-13-2011, 03:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

This is so beautiful.

I wish to visit egypt one day, maybe combine it with hajj or umra trip.

جوري
02-13-2011, 03:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
This is so beautiful. I wish to visit egypt one day, maybe combine it with hajj or umra trip.

Yeah I was going to make umra and pass through egypt last month and then couldn't find a suitable package unfortunately.. then hell broke loose lol..
Egypt will be glad to have you.. one of my favorite things about Egypt was in the airport where the verse from suret yousef was quoted.. to enter into Egypt in peace..

btw. My uncle is one of the architects of the new airport.. let me know how you like the layout especially the landscaping ...

don't forget to go to khan el khalili

my grandmother's old house used to have multiple archways like that...

:w:

Aprender
02-13-2011, 04:18 AM
^ These photos you posted are so beautiful!

جوري
02-13-2011, 04:44 AM
jazaka Allah khyran :)

ardianto
02-13-2011, 11:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

When I was a kid, I was so fascinated by ancient egypt settings in many of those belgian comics.

And i remember that Obelix (as in Asterix) accidentally broke off the nose of the sphinx, hence the nose-less sphinx :D

I like this comic too .... :D

Hamza Asadullah
02-14-2011, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
A picture from a tomb.

The falcon headed figure second from left is Horus. He hold the hand of dead woman that buried in this tomb. I don't know figure in center, but the sitting figure that wrapped in mummified cloth is Osiris. Behind him are Isis and Nephthys (look carefully, there are two figures behind Osiris).
Asalaamu Alaikum, yes you are right brother i always get confused with the many different Gods they believed in. Of course Horus is the falcon headed one and Osiris in charge of the underworld. Anubis is usually standing behind mummified figures so i assumed that was him standing behind. Have you studied Egyptology? Have you actually been to those temples and ruins? I visited them when i was in Egypt around 5 weeks ago and It was truly fascinating. Especially the temples in Luxor and one of the best has to be Abu Simbel. It just makes one ponder and contemplate about the greatness of Allah and how these civilisations perished because they disobeyed Allah and his Prophets (AS)

ayan333
02-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Salamu alaykum

THE first thing that comes to mind is

Hara jeddan! it was sooo HOT especially in the summer.

plp always saying "Aslan"..

Masjid/Jamia3 Al-azhar

Khan el khalili

Masjids EVERYWHERE MashALLAH!

Ma3salam!

جوري
02-14-2011, 02:22 AM
:lol: at aslan.. everyone always brings up a word that the egyptians say that fascinates them.. I had this Lebanese friend who was always commenting on 'doulab' = closet..
and another on the word 'kidah' lololol..
I'll put aslan to the list now..

ayan333
02-14-2011, 02:30 AM
^ ya3eesh honak, if so ayna?

جوري
02-14-2011, 02:59 AM
la ana moush 3ysha hinak.. lakin lama baroo7 agaza 3andina beyt fi port Saiid and cairo :)

ardianto
02-14-2011, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, yes you are right brother i always get confused with the many different Gods they believed in. Of course Horus is the falcon headed one and Osiris in charge of the underworld. Anubis is usually standing behind mummified figures so i assumed that was him standing behind. Have you studied Egyptology? Have you actually been to those temples and ruins? I visited them when i was in Egypt around 5 weeks ago and It was truly fascinating. Especially the temples in Luxor and one of the best has to be Abu Simbel. It just makes one ponder and contemplate about the greatness of Allah and how these civilisations perished because they disobeyed Allah and his Prophets (AS)
Wa'alaikumsalam, my brother.

I never went to there but I saw Egypt from the Window of the World, .... books. I love reading and I have special interest in history and ancient civilization, not only about ancient Egypt but also about ancient Greek and Roman, ancient America, ancient Africa, Ancient Asia, Europe middle age, etc. Of course I also learn about about ancient Muslim civilization although it makes me feel like play jigsaw puzzle. Currently I do not find books about it, I learn only from articles by articles that written by non-Muslim. Frankly, sometime I wonder why Muslims look like do not have interest to make study about ancient Muslim civilization.

And about ancient Egypt. They had great civilization but they disobeyed Allah and His Prophets (AS). Even Pharaoh themselves were the perfect example of people who against Allah, they claimed themselves as the living Gods. They lived as human but they believed after they die they would become Gods.

ardianto
02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Now is my turn to answer the question.

What is in my mind when I hear "Egypt" ?. It's depend on what was the last story/news that I heard/read. In last two weeks that was Hosni Mubarak, but now this is some threads that related to Egypt in this forum.

Ummu Sufyaan
02-15-2011, 09:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Wa'alaikumsalam, my brother.

I never went to there but I saw Egypt from the Window of the World, .... books. I love reading and I have special interest in history and ancient civilization, not only about ancient Egypt but also about ancient Greek and Roman, ancient America, ancient Africa, Ancient Asia, Europe middle age, etc. Of course I also learn about about ancient Muslim civilization although it makes me feel like play jigsaw puzzle. Currently I do not find books about it, I learn only from articles by articles that written by non-Muslim. Frankly, sometime I wonder why Muslims look like do not have interest to make study about ancient Muslim civilization.

And about ancient Egypt. They had great civilization but they disobeyed Allah and His Prophets (AS). Even Pharaoh themselves were the perfect example of people who against Allah, they claimed themselves as the living Gods. They lived as human but they believed after they die they would become Gods.
your best "bet" is to look at Muslim civilization and history is through lectures and books given/written by Muslims [(kallamullah (sp?) is a good site)], not (some) history books aimed at defaming Muslims and Islam. You should be careful of these sources because us Muslims have had our fair share but some people are too wrapped up in their own jealousy of our success and cant stand the fact that we have/had the upper hand. even in this day and age no-one can swallow that.

no-one bothers to note our success because they cant stand that the people who adhere to the haqq (truth) are honored and so they wish to degrade us. admitting we are were successful may be equivalent to them preaching that Islam is right and of-course that cant be right becuase it that stands in the way of their hate mongering.

in History (according to these people), we are just known to have discovered the likes of gun powder (terrorism anyone?) and we are also known to have surrendered...we are known as bandits aswell.. we also known (in this day and age) as fundamentalists, though this term was originally attributed to Christians (or maybe it was Christianity, i cant remember).

my sincere advise is skip these history books until you are well grounded with your Islam/Muslim history. only approach them when you feel your heart is properly grounded in this knowledge this is so that the first thing you get to know of our history is sound and correct so that your belief will also be sound and correct.

/thread derailment over.

yahia12
02-15-2011, 10:07 AM
there is this famous singer amr diab :D

Ansariyah
02-15-2011, 12:36 PM
My egyptian Quraan Teacher her name was arwa she was really the best teacher I ever had in my life. Thinking of her now brings me to tears, I miss her.

Cabdullahi
02-15-2011, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serdar
there is this famous singer amr diab :D
ewwwwwwwwwwww

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!