/* */

PDA

View Full Version : found this blog about the merchant's daughter trip to Egypt

جوري
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
http://dianrainbow.blogspot.com/2010...ians-life.html

unfortunately I don't know what language she is speaking.. I suspect she's from Malaysia or Indonesia am I correct?

even found pempek here!

what are these dishes she's talking about?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
02-13-2011, 05:19 PM
and what does 'Jorok' mean?.. I don't think it means something good lol

Aprender
02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Haha. My cousin is from Indonesia. I think jorok means something like shabby or that it's not so awesome.

Ramadhan
02-13-2011, 05:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
unfortunately I don't know what language she is speaking.. I suspect she's from Malaysia or Indonesia am I correct?
She's indonesian.

even found pempek here! what are these dishes she's talking about?

pempek is a specialty dish from palembang, the capital of south sumatran province on the island of sumatra.
It's made of fish flour and spices, the sauce is made of soy sauce, vinegar, and spices, then add some egg noodles (not always) and diced cucumbers.

and what does 'Jorok' mean?.. I don't think it means something good lol
it means "dirty"

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
02-13-2011, 05:29 PM
yeah.. the word was placed next to some awful pictures so I figured her first impression wasn't good.. hope that changes now..

جوري
02-13-2011, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
She's indonesian.
she's beautiful.....

gladTidings
02-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I guess she is malaysian... The dish is like noodles in a soup with omelette and cucumber..common malaysian combination. Good student food =D

Ramadhan
02-13-2011, 05:46 PM
yeah.. the word was placed next to some awful pictures so I figured her first impression wasn't good.. hope that changes now..

It's definitely changed. She wrote tongue in cheek:
"but look how do they look in the night, just like a bencong isn't it, ugly in the day but beautiful in the night :D"
"bencong" is a slang means transvestite. In indonesia (and neighboring countries such as thailand), transvestites are known to turn into beautiful women at night. or at least look beautiful.
:D

At the end of the blog, in the comments, she said that three months was just too short and that she was still enjoying her stay and she hoped to be back in egypt for her honeymoon.

جوري
02-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Oh lol.. thank God.. hope it doesn't change your opinion about going to Egypt.. I rather Muslim tourists than westerners.. the way they think they can hold the billion dollar into Mubarak's pocket for blood and that the country's economy relies on tourism to steer it into another despotic rule..

I am really afraid of how they're ripping into Egypt now when it is like a newborn..

May Allah swt does good for Egypt and its people away from those fundie/Zionist satanists!

Aprender
02-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh lol.. thank God.. hope it doesn't change your opinion about going to Egypt.. I rather Muslim tourists than westerners.. the way they think they can hold the billion dollar into Mubarak's pocket for blood and that the country's economy relies on tourism to steer it into another despotic rule..

I am really afraid of how they're ripping into Egypt now when it is like a newborn..

May Allah swt does good for Egypt and its people away from those fundie/Zionist satanists!

Wow, you must have not had good experience with Westerners. It's been a while since I've heard anyone talk of people in the West like that but as someone who lives here I can say that your argument has merit. Here in the U.S., it can be frustrating surrounded by people who think and behave in that way every day. There are young people around me who are fortunate to have the opportunity to study at the university yet when the protests in Egypt started, they turned to me and asked what disaster relief fund to donate to...

But personally, I can say that I've always wanted to visit Egypt to check out the mosques, the culture, the food and really see the beauty in the land and the people. The pyramids are cool but those wouldn't be the main reason why I want to go there as most people do. They think that just because they have the money they can go there ignorant of the culture and the language and expect everyone and everything to just adjust to them. I don't like the ethnocentrism that is being taught to American children. At such a young age children here are taught that our ways are "better" than everyone else. Whether intentionally or unintentionally, it happens.

If I ever visit Egypt, which is something I want to do after I graduate from the university in a few years, I would want to bring back stories of Egypt that really characterize the heart of the people there. Not just say,"Oh yeah, I went to Egypt and we saw some pyramids and tombs and went to a museum. Here are the photos I took of us standing around." MOST people do that when they're there and think they've really done it all. I'm sure the pyramids are captivating but that truly has no meaning to me and I can never understand how people can go to a place so magnificent and be so blind of its true beauty. So caught up in its ancient past that they can't appreciate the gift that is the present.

If I went to Egypt, I would want to connect with the people there on a deeper level and really be able to appreciate my visit and what an honor it is to be a visitor in the country. Later on in life I'd like to become a teacher and I think having a great story to tell about the people, the culture, the experience there would be a great learning experience for me and others.

جوري
02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
And I am glad of it aprender.. I am specifically speaking of the bible thumping fundies and their Zionist compatriots.. Everyone is welcome to egypt so long as they leave their political agenda for the country behind... All you've to do is but turn on your TV to see their plans for the new Egypt, as if to take responsibility for the youth movement and where the country is headed.. I really think every country should keep its political affairs internal. I think the majority of westerners would rather hold on to their hard earned money than have it funneled by the billions to Israel to fund their illegal occupation and continued aggressions against the Palestinians..

all the best

Aprender
02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
And I am glad of it aprender.. I am specifically speaking of the bible thumping fundies and their Zionist compatriots.. Everyone is welcome to egypt so long as they leave their political agenda for the country behind... All you've to do is but turn on your TV to see their plans for the new Egypt, as if to take responsibility for the youth movement and where the country is headed.. I really think every country should keep its political affairs internal. I think the majority of westerners would rather hold on to their hard earned money than have it funneled by the billions to Israel to fund their illegal occupation and continued aggressions against the Palestinians..

all the best
I don't disagree with one thing you said there. :)

Al-Mufarridun
02-13-2011, 11:07 PM
lol an interesting journey. seemed like she had fun.

Egypt is definetly on my list. Always wanted to visit the Salahuddin Al-Ayyubi Mosque.

Insha'Allah soon.

ardianto
02-14-2011, 12:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by peãrl
I guess she is malaysian... The dish is like noodles in a soup with omelette and cucumber..common malaysian combination. Good student food =D
She is Indonesian. I found some words that used only in Indonesian language but not in Malaysian.

Pempek is not omelette but food that made from tapioca and fish, sometime we eat it with noodles, sometime without noodles.

جوري
02-14-2011, 01:29 AM
she has been to more mosques than me..

and there's so much mosque, this is Amr Ibn Ash Mosque

Imam Syafi'i mosque

Shalahuddin El-Ayyubi Mosque

Al-Azhar Mosque

Sultan Hasan Mosque

Ibn Tulun Mosque

ardianto
02-14-2011, 01:40 AM
More about Dian Wahyu Utami (Dian Pelangi)

http://www.hijabstyle.co.uk/2010/07/...elangi_05.html

Al-Mufarridun
02-14-2011, 02:39 AM
^ is she sort of famous?

I once went to a Malay restaurant, i had chicken with peanut sauce. I'm not a fan of peanuts, but it was an interesting experience. :D

جوري
02-14-2011, 02:51 AM
I find Malaysian food very unusual but very good.. sr. Syilla from the forum here sent me a care package from Malaysia.. some of the items are things I'd never have thought to eat.. I wonder why she hasn't written of late? Must be the rug rats ...

Ramadhan
02-14-2011, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
^ is she sort of famous?

never heard of her.

Al-Mufarridun
02-14-2011, 03:34 AM
I find Malaysian food very unusual but very good.. sr. Syilla from the forum here sent me a care package from Malaysia.. some of the items are things I'd never have thought to eat.. I wonder why she hasn't written of late? Must be the rug rats ...
Unusual is the right word. Never imagined you could eat chicken with peanuts, but hey it was alright. :D

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-14-2011, 03:50 AM

she's beautiful.....
I agree...HAHA ;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!