Is it another attack on Islam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
02-15-2011, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lost Identity
Has anyone seen the documentary?
What do you make of it..

it highlights the way islam is taught to our children when we are not looking(by some), if we are comfortable with that documentory (even if it does not show everything which occurs in those places.. im sure there are many different teachers) then it is an attack on islam.

Dagless
02-15-2011, 12:52 AM
I haven't watched it yet but it's on 4oD if anyones interested.

IslamicRevival
02-15-2011, 01:00 AM
What do you think of the 'Brand' of Islam being taught? And the style in which the message is conveyed?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 01:17 AM
:sl:

I watched the documentary. It was not a bad documentary. I agree that children must not be beaten nor taught to mock other religions. These issues must be addressed.

What is a deobandi? Is it a sect? I've heard of this before.

IslamicRevival
02-15-2011, 01:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

What is a deobandi? Is it a sect? I've heard of this before.
Yup its a sect..One im opposed to :)

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Oh not another one. What is this sect about? It was on the documentary.

Zafran
02-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Oh not another one. What is this sect about? It was on the documentary.
salaam

Its not a sect its a place in india where people were eduacted - the madrass is called darul uloom - they call themselves deobandi.

a lot of people from the sub continent follow them -

peace

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 01:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

Its not a sect its a place in india where people were eduacted - the madrass is called darul uloom - they call themselves deobandi.

a lot of people from the sub continent follow them -

peace
:wa:

It is necessary to call themselves deobandi? Why not Muslim? You get the impression that is it a sect.

Deobandi

^ I did some research. It is nearly written the same as Islam QA :skeleton:

Zafran
02-15-2011, 01:38 AM

It is necessary to call themselves deobandi? Why not Muslim? You get the impression that is it a sect.

Deobandi

^ I did some research. It is nearly written the same as Islam QA :skeleton:
Salaam

They do call themselves muslims - They only call themselves deobandi when they are asked where they educated from.

peace

IslamicRevival
02-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Oh not another one.
73 sects remember :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
They do call themselves muslims - They only call themselves deobandi when they are asked where they educated from.
They call themselves Deobandi, They are a sect

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 01:52 AM
73 sects remember :)

They call themselves Deobandi, They are a sect

I keep forgetting that there are 73 sects, which frightens me.

How is it a sect?

Hamza Asadullah
02-15-2011, 04:57 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum, It seems as though you have a very incorrect understanding of what a sect is. Deobandi, Salafi, brelvee, Sufi etc are not different sects as they are all Sunni but they follow slightly different stances especially in regards to Fiqhi matters but are all still trying to follow Qur'an and Sunnah. The only major sects in Islam are two and they are Sunni which is the vast majority and Shia which are a small minority.

When you say you are "opposed to" them then you should not oppose any Muslim just because they have minor differences to the stance you may follow. That way you are only creating sectarianism and seperatism in Islam.

We all follow the same fundamentals but differ in trivial matters and those trivial matters should not be a reason to "oppose" any group of Muslims apart from those who are clearly out of the fold of Islam like Qadianis and Ismailis etc.

May Allah unite this ummah. Ameen

glo
02-15-2011, 07:11 AM
What do you make of it..

How was it an attack on Islam?

It exposed some pretty unpleasant practices, which go on in some (probably very few!) madrassahs here is the UK. To pretend that those things didn't happen - in the face of video footage and personal witness accounts - would be foolish.
It would be by far better for people to speak out against those things as unIslamic and wrong - as indeed many people in the programme, Muslims and non-Muslims did.

Would you want to send your child to a school were it is taught Islam under the fear of punishment by the teacher?

Did you see the programme far enough to watch how Islam were taught in the other school? And how happy the children were there? And how eager to learn?

This was not an attack on Islam.
It was a criticism of certain practices, which go and and which need to be stamped out!

As one of the Councillors said, such practices wouldn't be allowed in Sunday schools or any other institution where children are taught.

Ummu Sufyaan
02-15-2011, 08:13 AM
^ooooh dear. i get banned and come back and still our lovely glo is here preaching her lovely wisdom and virtue. :statisfie

nature
02-15-2011, 09:01 AM

I missed it but im gona try and watch it tonight. I did see a short trailer.

format_quote Originally Posted by glo
It exposed some pretty unpleasant practices, which go on in some (probably very few!) madrassahs here is the UK. To pretend that those things didn't happen - in the face of video footage and personal witness accounts - would be foolish. It would be by far better for people to speak out against those things as unIslamic and wrong - as indeed many people in the programme, Muslims and non-Muslims did.
I for one am glad a programme like this was aired. I went to mosque where such practices were seen as the norm. It pushed me so far away from islam and many others 2. I saw things that will stay with me, and they werent nyc. People in the community should not cover up such disgusting things and think its ok. Its not. Its not ok to beat a child sensless. Where in islam does it say to beat a child whos under the age of 12 cos they fail to understand arabic ? or cant sit still for an hour ?? where ? there children for pity's sake. People who beat children are intellectually weak and cant relate to a child.

Would you want to send your child to a school were it is taught Islam under the fear of punishment by the teacher?
No I wouldnt. Been there done that. In fact I created a big fuss about my own sibling being sent to one, but allhamdulliah we managed to get some1 else to run a child friendly class in their home. children learn and are happy, thats what it should be like.

Did you see the programme far enough to watch how Islam were taught in the other school? And how happy the children were there? And how eager to learn?
If a child gets the crap beaten out of them then how they gona be happy ?? It makes the child resent religion. I did wen i went to that place. Religion should be taught in a peaceful manner, put a child in a safe happy environment and they'll be eager to learn.

aamirsaab
02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
They didn't really have enough footage for a 1 hour doc to be honest. Most of it was repeated (and not all of it was as shocking as they were making it out to be).

That said, it was not an attack on Islam at all and it was actually quite well balanced in its portrayal. It didn't demonise Islam but it did highlight some very bad practices going on in certain madrassahs.

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 12:44 PM
[
To be fair, I think he was just asking. He didn't watch it. I do agree with the rest of your post.

Ansariyah
02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Theres something seriously wrong with these 'teachers' n more with the parents who keep sending their kids back to schools where children have to be physically abused to learn.

~Raindrop~
02-15-2011, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Theres something seriously wrong with these 'teachers'
I couldn't agree more. It makes me sick. I don't know how they expect the kids to enjoy learning and to appreciate the value of what they're being taught if they're sitting there brandishing fists or a big fat stick. Violence against children is despicable and cowardly.

Reflections
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
AsSalaamu Aalaykum Warahmatullah,

I watched the documentary on youtube, was a waste of time at some points. As usual, media is protraying Islam in a bad spot light, and finding some way or another to nit pick at things to make the biggest issue about.

The way that woman was talking as though the whole of UK runs in this certain way, we all beat the kids at the madaaris and we spoon feed them radical information etc subhanAllah.

I didn't agree with the way the teacher was hitting the kids, it was wrong, being violent towards children isn't the answer.. it is in actual fact cowardly.

Nevertheless, the doc was repeating itself, showing the same videos, bringing up the same people and as usual..being biased. Making it as though it was 'right' to go and spy on these places...it disgusts me...actually having people who go with hidden cameras and spy on them...that doesn't justify anything at all. It isn't the first time that has happened, but just comes to show...sometimes you have to be careful with who you can trust..they're not always who they say to show to be...

Salahudeen
02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I saw it and it brought back bad memories from my child hood of my Qur'an teacher asking me to stick my hand out so he could pound it with a wooden stick for not being able to pronounce the letter 'AYN properly. One day the whole class had to read Fatiha and every mistake made in the recitation equalled 1 smack on the hands. I remember coming home from school everyday and dread going there, I used to find any excuse I could to get out of it, I used to beg my mum not to send me, eventually she listened to me. In all fairness she did tell them not to hit me after the first few incidents but seeing my friends get beaten was not nice at all, I wanted out of there ASAP. I couldn't even understand him cos he didn't speak english, I tried telling him I have a speech problem and I'm visiting a speech therapist that's why I can't pronounce some of the letters properly but he didn't understand I think and thought I was just making excuses, Allah hu 'alam what he was thinking.

I see the teacher on the street sometimes and I give him dirty looks, my friends call him nasty names to his face, now that they're big and strong and can defend themselves. there was no explanation given about what I was even reading, just put in a building and told to learn a book I had no clue about.

I'm glad the violence that occurs in some children's Qur'an classes was exposed, this is not the right way to teach the Qur'an because the child will end up hating the book of Allah and his teacher. That man who was beating the children around made my blood boil, if he came infront of me I would not be able to control myself I think. I really hope such classes are moderated more by outside organisations or indivudals.

Children who are raised with violence enforce the same on the people around them I think.

The bit about Darul uloom, I feel they are just trying to make the muslims fight each other, a few years ago it was "Wahaaabi" Islam that they portrayed as the evil version of Islam and now they're portraying "Deobandi" Islam as a bad version of Islam, as if there is different versions of Islam??? There is only one Islam and I think they are trying to divide the Muslims and brain wash them to hate the people who studied the deen at such institutes just like they did a few years ago when they did the same with Green Lane masjid and so called "wahabi islam".

It's like a repilca of the programme they made a few years ago, except they replaced wahabi islam with "deobandi Islam" and Green lane with "Darul uloom" lol

Maryan0
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, It seems as though you have a very incorrect understanding of what a sect is. Deobandi, Salafi, brelvee, Sufi etc are not different sects as they are all Sunni but they follow slightly different stances especially in regards to Fiqhi matters but are all still trying to follow Qur'an and Sunnah. The only major sects in Islam are two and they are Sunni which is the vast majority and Shia which are a small minority.

When you say you are "opposed to" them then you should not oppose any Muslim just because they have minor differences to the stance you may follow. That way you are only creating sectarianism and seperatism in Islam.

We all follow the same fundamentals but differ in trivial matters and those trivial matters should not be a reason to "oppose" any group of Muslims apart from those who are clearly out of the fold of Islam like Qadianis and Ismailis etc.

I agree although I dont know much about a few that you mentioned. It seems we muslims make certain issues contentious when they really or not. I saw people arguing about whether Allah has hands or not based on some verses in the Quran an it became a pretty major argument:exhausted. Ameen to your dua.
Salam

Maryan0
02-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I did not watch this Documentary but i'm glad I got hit in Quran classes. I believe you should fear your teacher. I would not have had the nerve to go up to my Quran teacher without knowing my lessons and that seems to be lost on a lot of kids today like my younger siblings. Certain teachers I have had were I think pretty evil and hit us because they enjoyed it and I resent those teachers while others were kind and only hit us on the hand when we deserved it. Abuse is not a part of Islam but discipline is.
Salam

Asiyah3
02-15-2011, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha

I couldn't agree more. It makes me sick. I don't know how they expect the kids to enjoy learning and to appreciate the value of what they're being taught if they're sitting there brandishing fists or a big fat stick. Violence against children is despicable and cowardly.
I totally agree.

Salahudeen
02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maryan0
I did not watch this Documentary but i'm glad I got hit in Quran classes. I believe you should fear your teacher. I would not have had the nerve to go up to my Quran teacher without knowing my lessons and that seems to be lost on a lot of kids today like my younger siblings. Certain teachers I have had were I think pretty evil and hit us because they enjoyed it and I resent those teachers while others were kind and only hit us on the hand when we deserved it. Abuse is not a part of Islam but discipline is.
Salam
I feared my teacher so much I wished he was dead so he could stop making my life a misery. This is what I was thinking at 10 years of age. What do you mean you should fear your teacher? you must be a unique individual to be able to successfully learn in such an environment because I know the fear of my teacher caused me to lose all learning ability, rather than focusing on the material I was focusing on his stick and watching out for the next smack which would inevitablly come because I was so stressed I could not learn the material.

Do you think a child should be hit for making mistakes in his learning? Or are you coming from the angle of a child should be hit if he messes around in class?

Maryan0
02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I feared my teacher so much I wished he was dead so he could stop making my life a misery. This is what I was thinking at 10 years of age. What do you mean you should fear your teacher? you must be a unique individual to be able to successfully learn in such an environment because I know the fear of my teacher caused me to lose all learning ability, rather than focusing on the material I was focusing on his stick and watching out for the next smack which would inevitablly come because I was so stressed I could not learn the material.

Do you think a child should be hit for making mistakes in his learning? Or are you coming from the angle of a child should be hit if he messes around in class?
I believe you should fear your teacher in the sense that you will learn your quran on time and make it to class on time. My angle is discipline not learning difficulties. The teacher is there to teach so if he or she is hitting you because you are having difficulties learning than that is obviously wrong. Like I said earlier I have had some pretty sadistic teachers who hit us just to hit us and that is obviously wrong and unislamic and I very much resent those teachers to this day but I am not against hitting itself unless it goes overboard.
Salam

Salahudeen
02-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I believe you should fear your teacher in the sense that you will learn your quran on time and make it to class on time. My angle is discipline not learning difficulties. The teacher is there to teach so if he or she is hitting you because you are having difficulties learning than that is obviously wrong. Like I said earlier I have had some pretty sadistic teachers who hit us just to hit us and that is obviously wrong and unislamic and I very much resent those teachers to this day but I am not against hitting itself unless it goes overboard.
Salam
I see where you're coming from, but I guess the question is who decides what is overboard and deserves a smack? Some people will say a child deserves a smack when he's cheeky to the teacher, other people will say he just needs telling off or detention so who decides what kind of behaviour in the classroom warrents a smack?

Asiyah3
02-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Salam
It all depends on the way one has been raised. If the parents have beaten a small child everytime they've misbehaved, they will learn to act and change their ways by beating only. If you tell them to stop doing wrong or do something, they will not listen to you unless you shout, beat them or threaten to beat them.

Children should be taught to learn by communicating with them, not beating them mercilessly.

Maryan0
02-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I see where you're coming from, but I guess the question is who decides what is overboard and deserves a smack? Some people will say a child deserves a smack when he's cheeky to the teacher, other people will say he just needs telling off or detention so who decides what kind of behaviour in the classroom warrents a smack?
I dont know, but I do know you shouldnt be ready with the smacking right away it doesnt solve everything.
Salam

Maryan0
02-15-2011, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Runaway
It all depends on the way one has been raised. If the parents have beaten a small child everytime they've misbehaved, they will learn to act and change their ways by beating only. If you tell them to stop doing wrong or do something, they will not listen to you unless you shout, beat them or threaten to beat them.

Children should be taught to learn by communicating with them, not beating them mercilessly.
lol obviously sis. I'm not advocating beating your kids senseless. I believe I only got hit when I deserved it and Islam also advocates physical discipline in certain cases. Growing up maybe other things were more effective since I hated and I mean hated being grounded.
Salam

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Salaam,

Well you cannot smack anyone in the face. I think teenagers should be caned if they mess about. Young children should not be beaten because they don't usually know the difference between right or wrong.

Sigma
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
btw ladies and gentleman, the mosque was actually a Barelwi mosque (Keighley Mosque). However, that is irrelevant to the main point of the program which is to highlight the abuse. Having said this, some of the documentary was repetitive at times.

glo
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nature

I for one am glad a programme like this was aired. I went to mosque where such practices were seen as the norm. It pushed me so far away from islam and many others 2. I saw things that will stay with me, and they werent nyc. People in the community should not cover up such disgusting things and think its ok. Its not. Its not ok to beat a child sensless. Where in islam does it say to beat a child whos under the age of 12 cos they fail to understand arabic ? or cant sit still for an hour ?? where ? there children for pity's sake. People who beat children are intellectually weak and cant relate to a child.

If a child gets the crap beaten out of them then how they gona be happy ?? It makes the child resent religion. I did wen i went to that place. Religion should be taught in a peaceful manner, put a child in a safe happy environment and they'll be eager to learn.

Thank you for sharing.
I think your views were very much echoed by the 16-year-old lad who was attending the 'new-style-Madrasah' and who had been beaten in another school previously. He commented on how much more encouraging it was to learn in an atmosphere free from fear of punishment. The kids at that school looked so happy and so excited and eager to learn! :statisfie

I talked to a colleague muslimah about the programme today.
She told me that she pays for a private tutor, who comes to the house to teach her children about Islam. That way she knows for sure how and what he teaches.

IslamicRevival
02-15-2011, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, It seems as though you have a very incorrect understanding of what a sect is. Deobandi, Salafi, brelvee, Sufi etc are not different sects as they are all Sunni but they follow slightly different stances especially in regards to Fiqhi matters but are all still trying to follow Qur'an and Sunnah.
I regard 'Salafi' as a sect and Sufi'ism is interlinked with Islam. I agree with you that Bralvi/Deobandi are not different sects, They're basically two schools of thought

Ameen, Thumma Ameen

When did i say it was an attack on Islam?

It exposed some pretty unpleasant practices, which go on in some (probably very few!) madrassahs here is the UK. To pretend that those things didn't happen - in the face of video footage and personal witness accounts - would be foolish.
It would be by far better for people to speak out against those things as unIslamic and wrong - as indeed many people in the programme, Muslims and non-Muslims did.
No one is pretending it didnt happen. When i was at Mosque [Some time ago] i too was disciplined [Within Liimits] I am aware the problem existed and i have condemned these practices from day one

glo
02-15-2011, 06:27 PM
When did i say it was an attack on Islam?
In your opening post:

What do you make of it..

No one is pretending it didnt happen. When i was at Mosque [Some time ago] i too was disciplined [Within Liimits] I am aware the problem existed and i have condemned these practices from day one
We are in agreement then! :)

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 06:35 PM
^ He did not say it was an attack on Islam.

He said is it another attack on Islam?

glo
02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
^ He did not say it was an attack on Islam.

He said is it another attack on Islam?
What a difference a question mark makes, eh? :D

Thank you for your comment, Guestfellow. I will wait for Lost Identity to clarify whether he meant his words as a question or a statement.

Lost Identity, I apologise if I have misunderstood you! It seems that we are pretty much in agreement on physical punishment of children. Salaam, brother.

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 06:46 PM
^ Well yes I suppose it is the question mark that is missing.

جوري
02-15-2011, 07:14 PM
I didn't watch the program and have no interest to.. these programs are meant to put blinders on Christians and the likes so they'll keep on riding their wave of ignorance, self-satisfied in their worthless values.. that being said, I am not against corporal punishment in schools.. it was an institution in the west in years gone by perhaps if they re-implement it, you'd not be putting up alarms in schools and searching kids for guns, you wouldn't have so many teenage run away hook ers and the students would respect the teachers instead of the other way around!

all the best

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
^ :sl:

I agree, corporal punishment should be re-introduced. Some students are out of control.

IslamicRevival
02-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I will wait for Lost Identity to clarify whether he meant his words as a question or a statement.

Lost Identity, I apologise if I have misunderstood you! It seems that we are pretty much in agreement on physical punishment of children. Salaam, brother.
It is indeed a question :)
The question mark was there but it seems to have disappeared to God knows where :D

Perseveranze
02-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Nice documentary, though they should do a dispatches on the treatment and killing of innocent women and children in Iraq by British/American soldiers. Oh wait...

Salahudeen
02-15-2011, 08:25 PM
^ :sl:

I agree, corporal punishment should be re-introduced. Some students are out of control.
me too, in my school the students reduced the teacher to tears at times.

Salahudeen
02-15-2011, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Nice documentary, though they should do a dispatches on the treatment and killing of innocent women and children in Iraq by British/American soldiers. Oh wait...
Yeah, a dispatches on Dr Aafia siddiqui and her story for example, for some reason I only ever see a dispatches on Islam and Muslims.

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah, a dispatches on Dr Aafia siddiqui and her story for example, for some reason I only ever see a dispatches on Islam and Muslims.

To be fair on Channel 4, they do a wide variety of dispatches. However, when it comes to Islam and Muslims, it is usually negative. I don't mind criticism but there are so many negative documentaries on Islam and Muslims that it is getting boring.

I find it odd how Muslims in UK get so much attention when we make up 3.3% of the population. I'm sure there are problems elsewhere.

sherz_umr
02-16-2011, 02:51 AM
i couldnt undrstnd what was happening in class..plus my arabic was pathetic.went there for i think, 4years.(uncle forced my parents) They used a tasbi (is that what its called? A rosary like thing)..for beating. Sheesh..what on earth is that thing made of? Marbles? I ws so terrified i couldnt study or concentrate. I begged my mom not to send me to that god forsaken place every single day.The word madrasa sends a chill down my spine. I dont care what people say..i will NEVER send my kids there.

aamirsaab
02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I find it odd how Muslims in UK get so much attention when we make up 3.3% of the population. I'm sure there are problems elsewhere.
There are plenty of problems in the UK, none of which are caused by muslims or Islam. But as far as media coverage goes, we're to blame for everything. Including, but certainly not limited to, earthquakes, tsunamis and tornadoes.

Rhubarb Tart
02-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Salam

I feel sad when I see the thread responses about corporal punishment. This programme showed children being kicked, punched etc...
It also showed older children beating younger children and the teacher watching it.

Those who start with “I think corporal punishment should be brought back in school”

If you did not watch the programme, I suggest you hold back stating your opinion about corporal punishment. This documentary illustrated ABUSE, period.
This abuse should not be in the same category as corporal punishment.

Corporal punishment should be for children that done something seriously wrong! Not if a child or teenager is struggling, or got the verses wrong!
And corporal punishment should not involve beating, punching, kicking and repeatedly slapping.

If my twin sons had any of those treatments in the documentary, I would seriously walk in the mosque and punch the teacher myself.
I remember when one of the teachers broke my ribs! I lied to hospital; social services etc, all because my father thought we shouldn’t grass on another Muslim. Too bad, if I can turn back the time; I would have spilled my guts out to the authority!

Rhubarb Tart
02-16-2011, 06:14 PM
Dispatches are full of negative aspect of British society (not sure about Britain foreign policies).
Documentary about Hospitals, churches, schools, children services, elderly care etc are always negative. So when they do a programme on Muslims, don’t expect it to be positive. I hardly see a positive documentary from dispatches about positive aspect of British society. They mainly investigate serious issues, always negative.

This week (coming Monday), it is about hospital food. Guess what? Another negative documentary about the NHS.

glo
02-16-2011, 06:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
Salam

I feel sad when I see the thread responses about corporal punishment. This programme showed children being kicked, punched etc...
It also showed older children beating younger children and the teacher watching it.

Those who start with “I think corporal punishment should be brought back in school”

If you did not watch the programme, I suggest you hold back stating your opinion about corporal punishment. This documentary illustrated ABUSE, period.
This abuse should not be in the same category as corporal punishment.

Corporal punishment should be for children that done something seriously wrong! Not if a child or teenager is struggling, or got the verses wrong!
And corporal punishment should not involve beating, punching, kicking and repeatedly slapping.

If my twin sons had any of those treatments in the documentary, I would seriously walk in the mosque and punch the teacher myself.
I remember when one of the teachers broke my ribs! I lied to hospital; social services etc, all because my father thought we shouldn’t grass on another Muslim. Too bad, if I can turn back the time; I would have spilled my guts out to the authority!
Great post, sweet106!

Here is what the Mosques and Imams International Advisory Board said in response to the programme:

“There are around two thousand Mosques, Madrassas and Islamic Institutes in the UK. The majority of the Mosques, Madrassas and Islamic Institutes are making positive contributions by teaching good citizenship, respect for all religions and individuals and providing a safe, secure and comfortable learning environment”.

“However, even one incident of abuse against a child is one too many. It is unacceptable, illegal and abhorrent. Such an act is also not in accordance with the teachings of Islam which places a duty of care upon every Imam, Mosque and Islamic teacher to ensure that all children are safeguarded against any form of physical, verbal and emotional abuse”.

“We welcome the immediate firm action concerning the two Mosques featured in the Programme and request all parents and committee members to continue to be vigilant by taking immediate action on such abhorrent, but fortunately isolated, incidents”
http://www.minab.org.uk/news/press-r...of-intolerance

"Even one incident of abuse against a child is one too many. It is unacceptable, illegal and abhorrent."
Amen to that!

glo
02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sweet106
Dispatches are full of negative aspect of British society (not sure about Britain foreign policies).
Documentary about Hospitals, churches, schools, children services, elderly care etc are always negative. So when they do a programme on Muslims, don’t expect it to be positive. I hardly see a positive documentary from dispatches about positive aspect of British society. They mainly investigate serious issues, always negative.

This week (coming Monday), it is about hospital food. Guess what? Another negative documentary about the NHS.
I guess that's the purpose of the Dispatches programmes - to raise awareness of poor practices in this country.

That might not always sit comfortably with us - but then it is a good thing to continue to strive for a better, fairer and kinder society. We can only do that if we are aware of the downfalls in the first place ...

GuestFellow
02-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I guess that's the purpose of the Dispatches programmes - to raise awareness of poor practices in this country.
And to gain publicity...

Perseveranze
03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Asalaamu ALaikum,

Should be pretty used to being picked out and attacked on purpose. Like I said before, they won't do a dispatches on how American/British soldiers treat the women/children/innocence in Iraq/Afghanistan etc. Just biased stuff.

Not to say hitting children is acceptable, but these kind of programs are just islamaphobic.

glo
03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
And to gain publicity...
I suppose that's what TV programmes do, and what they get paid for ...

Let's hope this Dispatches programme, and others like it, lead to an improvement in practices in our institutions.

aamirsaab
03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu ALaikum,

Should be pretty used to being picked out and attacked on purpose. Like I said before, they won't do a dispatches on how American/British soldiers treat the women/children/innocence in Iraq/Afghanistan etc. Just biased stuff.

Not to say hitting children is acceptable, but these kind of programs are just islamaphobic.
If you've watched John Pilger's The War you don't see, you'll understand why such information is hardly ever shown.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!