PDA

View Full Version : Can others identify easily that you are a muslim?



Abdul-Raouf
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Can others identify easily that you are a muslim?

Other day there was a lady standing near by an ATM ... I returned from the bank(which is next to the ATM) was about to take my motorbike..She came near me asking - can you please help me to get some money from the ATM.

I went to help her..meantime i told her that either learn to use it or come with someone whom you know..told her not to seek help from strangers..also found that she was a muslim..from her account name.

Her reply was ..'I waited for a muslim ..I found that your a muslim (Its cos of my beard..I guess)..thats why i asked help from you'.. Then I reminded her about the security issues again.. Then we moved out.

I felt happy - ALLAH gave me that recognition.

When you see a man with a big indian turban, with beard and with moustach (non-trimmed) - you can easily find that he is a Sikh.
Similary - Does your look say that your a muslim ?

Whats that stopping you from identifying/representing yourself as a muslim by the way you look to others?



Note : Query is only about the way you look to others / your identity...and also considering that - the onlookers do have some knowledge to identify a muslim...:)


.
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd Al-Maajid
02-15-2011, 06:44 PM
If I have no beard people start talking to me in Telugu (one of the local languages of Hyderabad) thinking that I am a Hindu:raging:. This really turns me off :( I'd just say, "Telugu raadu." (I dont know Telugu.) Then they say, "Hindi?" I'd say "Urdu", proudly.

In my college days I was attending a viva exam and this professor asked me, "e oor meedi?" (Your village?) I was like embarrassed. My friends used to tease me by reminding that incident.

But Alhamdulillah I have started to grow beard...may Allah give me hidayah to keep it.

Do I look like a non-muslim to any of you? no na...:p
Reply

glo
02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
In what way can a stranger help somebody get money from a ATM? You shouldn't share your PIN number with anybody!

To be honest, it would have been safer to advise this lady to go inside the bank for help. Helping a stranger getting money from the cash point could look very suspicious and get you into real trouble!
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Helping a stranger getting money from the cash point could look very suspicious and get you into real trouble!
aah! relax! many people are illiterate and cannot operate the ATM machine. I have also helped many people with ATM.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
R Khan
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
I guess other people do realise that I am a Muslim lol, you can tell when you get on the tube people offer you seats and then usually get off the train.. Really generous I presume.
Reply

AabiruSabeel
02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Added a Poll to the thread.
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-15-2011, 07:19 PM
There should be another third option. like, sometimes :-\ where i can vote
also make it public...:)
Reply

GuestFellow
02-15-2011, 07:21 PM
:sl:

Not really. When I went to college, some students were surprised to find out that I was Muslim. People around my area know I'm Muslim. Should have voted for sometimes.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by glo
In what way can a stranger help somebody get money from a ATM? You shouldn't share your PIN number with anybody!

To be honest, it would have been safer to advise this lady to go inside the bank for help. Helping a stranger getting money from the cash point could look very suspicious and get you into real trouble!
I told her the same.
In india its...not a big deal...no one gets suspicious..cos not everyone who holds the debitcard knows to use it..there are many illeterate.

Lets stick to the query please ... no more discussion on the ATM :) ...Thanks.
Reply

~Raindrop~
02-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Why does the first option have a bearded person? :><: You won't find many of those among the females. Well, I hope not.
Reply

Endymion
02-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Aww... this is really touching and cute :statisfie
I think i can better understand what she had in her mind.When ever i have any query and i have to talk to a man,i prefer talking with a beard one.I know beard is not a symbol of a practicing Muslim.There are plenty who are very religious and understand the real soul of Islam and they are not beard.And there are people who grow beard but do not even offer Jummah prayer.In spite of understanding all that,i have a feeling in my heart that beard people are more religious,respect women and they can never misguide you.

Im also feeling a bliss inside me thinking that the real Image of Muslim is still there.People still believe that one cant lie or decieve you becoz he is a Muslim,a follower of Muhammad SAW who forbid lies and cheating for his Ummah :statisfie
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
When you keep beard, you are confined to certain activities and can never think of doing some activities...like theaters, pubs, late night parties et cetera
Imagine a beardo dancing in pub late night. people would say, "khaan saab ghar jaao." lol ;D
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by abdulmājid
When you keep beard, you are confined to certain activities and can never think of doing some activities...like theaters, pubs, late night parties et cetera
Imagine a beardo dancing in pub late night. people would say, "khaan saab ghar jaao." lol ;D
Even when you drive.. if some idiots drive/overtake rashly or horn crazily or doesnt obey signals..... your looks protect (my muslim beard) you from using bad words

...Atleast in my case..the bad word (in tamil) comes till tongue..but it doesnt go out - i close my mouth..then i say Astagfirullah...
Reply

Maryan0
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
I am recognizable as a muslim because I wear the hijab but for those who dont dress Islamically male or female I usually go by their background like if they are Arab or Pakistani etc.
Salam
Reply

IslamicRevival
02-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Can others identify easily that you are a muslim?
I would have thought so yes :)
Allah Azzawajal Knows Best
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
02-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Does your look say that your a muslim ?
Yes! and Alhamdulilaah

peace
Reply

Tyrion
02-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Well, I have a beard (not a long one though), but I dress like a typical college student. I don't think I look super Muslim, but some people can guess since I've been told I look a little Middle Eastern... :p

(I've also been told I look really Mexican at times... My drivers license picture definitely has me looking Mexican since I didn't really have a beard then. :P )
Reply

Salahudeen
02-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Yes alhamdulilah all though you do feel strange when you're not apart of the majority and you're the only 1 with a beard. It gets easier though alhamdulilah.
Reply

Ramadhan
02-16-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by
In what way can a stranger help somebody get money from a ATM? You shouldn't share your PIN number with anybody! To be honest, it would have been safer to advise this lady to go inside the bank for help. Helping a stranger getting money from the cash point could look very suspicious and get you into real trouble!

One time an old guy was having trouble transferring money on an atm and I was waiting behind him for a while. Then he asked my help, which I obliged. It was a very large (for Indonesian) amount, around 35 millions (USD 4,000).

Anyway, since majority Indonesians are muslims, we are identified as muslims unless proven otherwise.
although if you look like chinese descent or from eastern indonesia (dark skin, curly haired) where the dutch and european missionaries have christianized, people could also automatically assume you are christian.
Reply

Beardo
02-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Yep. Only once did someone think I was Hindu/SIkh. -___-
Reply

Faatin
02-16-2011, 04:35 AM
I wondered the same thing...and I would hope not too! :giggling:
Originally Posted by Aisha
Why does the first option have a bearded person? :><: You won't find many of those among the females. Well, I hope not.
Reply

Faatin
02-16-2011, 04:47 AM
:giggling: at beardo dancing in pub...oh my. I'd rather not imagine that.
Originally Posted by abdulmājid
When you keep beard, you are confined to certain activities and can never think of doing some activities...like theaters, pubs, late night parties et cetera
Imagine a beardo dancing in pub late night. people would say, "khaan saab ghar jaao." lol ;D
Reply

SlaveOfGod
02-16-2011, 04:58 AM
I've always thought I look like a Muslim, since by beard's not fully developed yet I just have big side burns >.< but religion wise, I've been told I look like a Hindu and for country wise, wow that list is too long....lol
Reply

Aprender
02-16-2011, 04:59 AM
No, not yet but I do use a lot of Islamic terms in school and in social gatherings and that's only when people take notice. I haven't quite reverted yet but people at the university do always ask me what country I am from. I was born and raised in the U.S. but I guess since I am familiar with other cultures people tend to think I am not from here.
Reply

Ramadhan
02-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Now that I am starting to grow beard, my secular and non-practicing friends and colleagues call me "extremist"!
Reply

ardianto
02-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by naidamar
Anyway, since majority Indonesians are muslims, we are identified as muslims unless proven otherwise.
although if you look like chinese descent or from eastern indonesia (dark skin, curly haired) where the dutch and european missionaries have christianized, people could also automatically assume you are christian.
Not every Indonesian Chinese is non-Muslim. I have some Indonesian Chinese friends who are Muslims. But yes, many people assume if someone has 'Chinese face' he/she must be non-Muslim. Until few years ago some people called me with "koh/ko", a word that used for call a Chinese man (from "koko", brother in Chinese language) . But after they know I am a Muslim, they called me "Mas" (brother) or "Pak" (sir).

Originally Posted by naidamar
Now that I am starting to grow beard, my secular and non-practicing friends and colleagues call me "extremist"!
Or "terrorist" or "Osama bin Laden".
Reply

Ramadhan
02-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by
Or "terrorist" or "Osama bin Laden".

Or Abu Bakar Baasyir.
Reply

shakylla
02-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I wear a hijab so it's a given.

Furthermore, if you look Malay where I live, people would normally presume that you're a Muslim.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by naidamar
Now that I am starting to grow beard, my secular and non-practicing friends and colleagues call me "extremist"!
Almost 5 years back..2006.. when i was in end of the 3rd year of college(it was a 4 year course).....thats when i started to hav the beard...after which i havent shaved..Alhamdulillah. From the time i started having the beard....many of my friends call me terrorist..Osama Bin Laden..(I was the only muslim out of the total 89 in my college class :( )...Even now ..some of them who see me.. the first sentence which comes out "Man why is that your having a beard like a terrorist"

Actually 2006 was an important year for me..I started having beard... I stopped going to cinema theatre (but i did watch at home rarely..nowadays stpped that as well).. and I joined IslamicBoard.. :) ALHAMDULILLAH.
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Even now ..some of them who see me.. the first sentence which comes out "Man why is that your having a beard like a terrorist"
I am sure they have been brainwashed by the stupid news media. ;D
Reply

Samiun
02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
:sl: I think I'm recognized by the public as a Muslim since the race that follows Islam is mostly Malay. People may sometime confuse 'malay' for 'religion' instead of 'race'.One time, my seven year old cousin asked me why I have a beard while his older brother(Older than me) doesn't have one. I just smiled then my aunts who saw this event started to chuckle. I don't get it...
Reply

IneedAllah
02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
To be honest Only Allah knows whether your a muslim or not because there are some people who are muslims just by ''WORD'' but they are not in their hearts.
Reply

sister herb
02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
Yes mostly as I use hijab or khimar too. Sometimes people here thinks I might be catholic nun...
Reply

Hannah.
02-16-2011, 10:11 PM
Now.. yes. Alhumdulilah.
Reply

R Khan
02-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Growing a beard is hard.. there's many obstacles in the way. When I started growing it a year ago I noticed how people didn't treat me the same way. Yeah there are a good few who respect you and w/e but many isolate you and start calling you names etc. Last year before we broke up for the summer holidays we had to participate in an activities week (AS level) I chose cooking, and during break that day someone was like "What are you cooking? a bomb?" LOL... Bunked the remainder of days after that :/

Also had to man-up against my parents too, they were like "it's not time yet"/"grow it later"... As if there's a particular age when you're meant to grow it? and they seem to think I have grown a beard for them?

But Alhamdulillah it's quite long now :)
Reply

Ansariyah
02-16-2011, 11:06 PM
^ May Allah keep u steadfast bro ameen.

I'm a Hijabie, that speaks for itself.=)
Reply

Reflections
02-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Alhumdulilah yes...I guess so...However what I think is more annoying, that stereotype you get from people..like if you practise niqaab etc and suppose you step out of line..subhanAllah others will announce as though it's yawmul qiyamah
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
02-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by IneedAllah
To be honest Only Allah knows whether your a muslim or not because there are some people who are muslims just by ''WORD'' but they are not in their hearts.
Agreed...200%.

This thread is only about how a human identifies another human only - Its only about the representation(the way he looks to others) of a human and not about his intention (Human Intention - Known only to that particular Human and ALLAH only).
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
02-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Originally Posted by R Khan
Growing a beard is hard.. there's many obstacles in the way. When I started growing it a year ago I noticed how people didn't treat me the same way. Yeah there are a good few who respect you and w/e but many isolate you and start calling you names etc. Last year before we broke up for the summer holidays we had to participate in an activities week (AS level) I chose cooking, and during break that day someone was like "What are you cooking? a bomb?" LOL... Bunked the remainder of days after that :/

Also had to man-up against my parents too, they were like "it's not time yet"/"grow it later"... As if there's a particular age when you're meant to grow it? and they seem to think I have grown a beard for them?
But Alhamdulillah it's quite long now :)

Yes many of my muslim dear ones asked me the same...


Alhamdulillah..Koool :)
Reply

MustafaMc
02-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I'm a Hijabie, that speaks for itself.=)
Like yourself, I can recognize a hijabi Muslimah, but unfortunately I would look funny in a hijab as it would clash with my beard. I have kept a full beard since 2002 shortly after I decided to practice Islam as I felt that it was consistent with the sunnah of Muhammad (sal alahu alayhi wa salaam) to do so. For a Muslim, the only identifier I can use is if he is wearing a kufi or distinctive Arabic style clothing. I don't wear a kufi and I do wear Western-style clothes all of the time except on E'ids when I wear special clothes for the day.
Reply

Tyrion
02-17-2011, 04:17 AM
Originally Posted by MustafaMc
For a Muslim, the only identifier I can use is if he is wearing a kufi or distinctive Arabic style clothing.
Lol, this reminded me of something that really bugs me about certain people who seem to think Muslim = Arab... :p Both Muslims and non Muslims seem to think this way sometimes...

Imho, a Muslim living in the West shouldn't feel the need to dress like an Arab just to prove he's Muslim to the world... And converts shouldn't be pressured into taking an Arab name, as if that somehow makes them more Muslim... But I digress... :p
Reply

sister herb
02-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

Lol, this reminded me of something that really bugs me about certain people who seem to think Muslim = Arab... :p Both Muslims and non Muslims seem to think this way sometimes...

Imho, a Muslim living in the West shouldn't feel the need to dress like an Arab just to prove he's Muslim to the world... And converts shouldn't be pressured into taking an Arab name, as if that somehow makes them more Muslim... But I digress... :p
Thats good reminding - I never took islamic name and been muslims almost 20 years. People see about my hijab/khimar I am muslim but mostly by my behaviour who I am; not eat pork, drink beer, be kind and peacefull to everyone... and not shake with men.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
02-17-2011, 08:56 AM
I think people see me as more of an oppressed woman than an actual Muslim. dim-wits.
Reply

ardianto
02-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
I think people see me as more of an oppressed woman than an actual Muslim. dim-wits.
Do you wear niqab/abaya, sister ?.
Reply

'Aleena
02-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Now that I practice Hijab, I assume that they recognize me.

Though before no one has ever presumed my religion, they did take the freedom to presume my homeland, like you are gujju right? You look like a sindhi, etc, etc...

But now the questions have stopped. They believe that muslims are just muslims, which I think is a good sign.
Reply

Rabi'ya
02-17-2011, 10:01 AM
:sl:

A funny thread.....

Well, wearing hijab and abaya one would think that its obvious I am Muslim. However, I have been asked if I am sikh, jewish, hindu and the most common one is a nun!!

It used to be mainly elderly people who ask if I am a nun (I work with old people) so I was never really bothered by it. But recently more and more younger people have been asking me what religion I am. One young guy, in his late 20s asked me if I was sikh, I simply said, no I am Muslim....He said "I didnt want to offend you, hope I havent" I simply replied that he hadnt. But it has occurred to me much more recently that people simply dont always recognise religions by how they dress. unless of course you are from that religion yourself.
Reply

MustafaMc
02-17-2011, 11:09 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I can recognize a hijabi Muslimah and, right or wrong, I often say, 'Assalamu alaikum" as I rarely see any Muslims - unless I travel the 45 min for Jumu'ah om Friday. I am pleased to see a Muslimah wear the hijab as it can be difficult for one to stand out from the crowd.
Reply

smile
02-17-2011, 01:57 PM
well i don't have a beard ....lol
but do wear hijab

some ppl still don't know the diff btween muslims and hindus
Reply

yahia12
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM
No, they cant imagine it. BUT when it comes to not drinking alkohol, or eat pork then they begin suspecting :D
Reply

Amat Allah
02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I look exactly like my Avatar so, from the first glance they will surely know that I am a muslimah...
Reply

tigerkhan
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
ok i will tell few good experience with my beard.
alhumdulliah i never shave in my life. start keeping cap and turban when i was 20 years and first years of university. my beard was just some little hairs, like on ppl arms. so it grow to full now ahd. but its so nice looking.
when i start using turban, one my class fellow used to say me "muhammad bin Qasim". i say ok if i am muhammad bin qsaim then u seems to be Meer Jafir and Meer Sadiq.
about beard i always got much and much respect in whole my life. u blv i was a person in my class when i was coming form one side,my class-fellow girls always used to give me way, they had much respect for me. u blv in final year we had lady teacher, u blv she is so kind to me, i usually dont take her class but on the end of month i just go to her and say her, plz mark my absentees as present so that i will not come in attendance shortage. blv she mark me present for whole month.
secondally i dont know y but ppl always trust me. i also had this ATM experience many times, blv i had got much respect in this islamic outlook, once i was in local van and a traffic police stop the van and fine driver 1000 PKR, i went to that lady and talked her, that this drive is a poor person leave him, she says now i had fined him, if u say me b4 i leave him. we we came back to van, the driver said to me its amazing!!! i say ahd in all my life, i was never rejected by some one. so i dont know about u ppl but i have very good experiences with this Islamic outlook.
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by tigerkhan
plz mark my absentees as present so that i will not come in attendance shortage. blv she mark me present for whole month
Reminded me of my college days..;D;D;D Attendance!!!!
Reply

GuestFellow
02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by tigerkhan
ok i will tell few good experience with my beard.
alhumdulliah i never shave in my life. start keeping cap and turban when i was 20 years and first years of university. my beard was just some little hairs, like on ppl arms. so it grow to full now ahd. but its so nice looking.
when i start using turban, one my class fellow used to say me "muhammad bin Qasim". i say ok if i am muhammad bin qsaim then u seems to be Meer Jafir and Meer Sadiq.
about beard i always got much and much respect in whole my life. u blv i was a person in my class when i was coming form one side,my class-fellow girls always used to give me way, they had much respect for me. u blv in final year we had lady teacher, u blv she is so kind to me, i usually dont take her class but on the end of month i just go to her and say her, plz mark my absentees as present so that i will not come in attendance shortage. blv she mark me present for whole month.
secondally i dont know y but ppl always trust me. i also had this ATM experience many times, blv i had got much respect in this islamic outlook, once i was in local van and a traffic police stop the van and fine driver 1000 PKR, i went to that lady and talked her, that this drive is a poor person leave him, she says now i had fined him, if u say me b4 i leave him. we we came back to van, the driver said to me its amazing!!! i say ahd in all my life, i was never rejected by some one. so i dont know about u ppl but i have very good experiences with this Islamic outlook.
:sl:

I have a small beard and I noticed random people on the streets always ask for my help...I get people asking for change, directions and sometimes pestering me to complete questionnaires. I'm so dumb at giving directions...I can't read maps either. :skeleton:

However, I'm not sure if it is to do with my beard...then again, when I read your post, I started to realise random people started to ask for my help when I started to grow my beard and wear a white prayer cap.

All sorts of people ask for my help...like old people, chavs (can't think of another term), people who cannot speak English, homeless people, market researchers (not really asking for help) and sometimes Muslim girls with Hijaab. Most of the time, its either change or directions...

I can't ignore people because I can tell they will feel terribly embarrassed and I don't think that's nice.
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
02-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Originally Posted by tigerkhan
ok i will tell few good experience with my beard.
alhumdulliah i never shave in my life. start keeping cap and turban when i was 20 years and first years of university. my beard was just some little hairs, like on ppl arms. so it grow to full now ahd. but its so nice looking.
when i start using turban, one my class fellow used to say me "muhammad bin Qasim". i say ok if i am muhammad bin qsaim then u seems to be Meer Jafir and Meer Sadiq.
about beard i always got much and much respect in whole my life. u blv i was a person in my class when i was coming form one side,my class-fellow girls always used to give me way, they had much respect for me. u blv in final year we had lady teacher, u blv she is so kind to me, i usually dont take her class but on the end of month i just go to her and say her, plz mark my absentees as present so that i will not come in attendance shortage. blv she mark me present for whole month.
secondally i dont know y but ppl always trust me. i also had this ATM experience many times, blv i had got much respect in this islamic outlook, once i was in local van and a traffic police stop the van and fine driver 1000 PKR, i went to that lady and talked her, that this drive is a poor person leave him, she says now i had fined him, if u say me b4 i leave him. we we came back to van, the driver said to me its amazing!!! i say ahd in all my life, i was never rejected by some one. so i dont know about u ppl but i have very good experiences with this Islamic outlook.
Alhamdulillah ... :)

Some General Knowledge about my city:

In our state (Tamil Nadu)...especially in Chennai city... People call the muslims as "Bhai"...
Example: Go to the "Bhai" Mutton Shop.. Ask that "Bhai"... "Bhai" House ... "Bhai" doctor...:)
Buy from "Bhai Amma" (when refering to the lady muslima) vegetable shop..."Bhai Ponnu" (Bhai Girl - Girl muslimah) etc...

I have experienced the same... Though you are dressed as an officer/professional... whenever they want to call you..if they found that your muslim...they call you "Bhai"

In my college life....as well as in my current professional life...there are many..who call me as "Bhai"..than calling by my name.

Actually..many illeterates.....dont know the word "Muslim"...but they do know the word "Bhai"


I hope everyone here knows whats the actual meaning of "Bhai" - Its Brother...


.
Reply

tigerkhan
02-19-2011, 05:26 AM
^ Bahi is v.good word. lol in hostel i was famous as K_l_m bahi. lol...even upto now my university fellow use this word. in my Job i am SIR...lol am in teaching.
Reply

'Aleena
02-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by tigerkhan
u blv in final year we had lady teacher, u blv she is so kind to me, i usually dont take her class but on the end of month i just go to her and say her, plz mark my absentees as present so that i will not come in attendance shortage. blv she mark me present for whole month.
Wow! You are lucky to have such understanding teachers.

Talking about college, when I first attended my law lecture in hijab, my teacher got a minor heart attack.

"Is this your first lecture? Never seen you before!!!"
Reply

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by tigerkhan
K_l_m bahi
fill in the blanks. Reps for who does...;D
Reply

tigerkhan
02-20-2011, 01:02 PM
^ actually i dont want to disclose my identity... bcz i am fearing, in that case if i share on forum some my good deed there are chances that shatan make riya. and if i told u about my sin, u can be a witness on day of qiyama...lol
Reply

S.Belle
02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes
but then there are times when I get asked (even by muslims)
Are you muslim?
it ever so slightly annoys me bc im wearing hijab and abaya and they are asking something that seems rather obvious ^o)
Reply

Zuzubu
02-21-2011, 06:36 PM
hahah, India? Yup, people are very religious, you can eassily see their symbols and know what religion they are on.

I'm in Denmark where only those 2% are muslims, I'm black haired and my skin is pale, and pretty much everytime I see someone black haired with dark skin it seems like a muslim (usually in name).
When I say in name, it means that they probably don't pray, they have intercourse before marriage, they go to disco etc. But that their parrents are muslims...

Then I see a girl with hijaab, or a boy with beard or a gentle clothing (many people here wear small shorts, or emo clothes, pop clothes etc. So when you see someone with normal clothings you can easily recognise them) Then I can see they are good muslims. But these people are veeeeery rare.

@Tigerkhan You live in Pakistan, it's kind of normal to have beard there.

@AmatAllah Heiliger scheisse!! :O If you looked like this in Denmark you would be in prison. Firstly because it is illegal to wear it, and secondly you will be accused for terrorism.

W/salam
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
11-16-2011, 08:42 AM
** bump **
Reply

Amat Allah
11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Zuzubu
@AmatAllah Heiliger scheisse!! :O If you looked like this in Denmark you would be in prison. Firstly because it is illegal to wear it, and secondly you will be accused for terrorism.
and with all of this and no matter what; I won`t take it off till the last breath of mine in shaa Allah...
Reply

.iman.
11-16-2011, 04:49 PM
This is an interesting question. I wear full hijab and dress modestly and I recently started a new job al hamdoulilah. I have actually had several people ask me what religion I am... I always thought people knew immediately hijab=Muslim, but I guess not! ^o)
Reply

Abdul-Raouf
11-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by .iman.
This is an interesting question. I wear full hijab and dress modestly and I recently started a new job al hamdoulilah. I have actually had several people ask me what religion I am... I always thought people knew immediately hijab=Muslim, but I guess not! ^o)
Yes there are few .. in USA.. who dont know where Iraq or Afghanistan is .. its like that... not all know.
Reply

bintYahya
11-24-2011, 05:05 PM
People can clearly see I'm a Muslim. There aren't many Muslims around here so it takes a lot of courage to stand out. But I have Allah. And especially to demand for my rights from the hospital district as they're not used to us hijabis. May Allah help everyone.

Sometimes the conversations get weird.

Just recently I had to renew my passport and get new pictures for it. The guy told me to remove my, I think he said "hood" or "cap". Then a Christian was wondering who I believe in, "Buddha?"

But knowing that I'm a Muslim and after getting to know me a little bit, some many people start asking questions, and alhamdulillaah, I'm able to amaze them when I tell what Islam is really about.
Reply

SFatima
11-24-2011, 05:09 PM
when you dont look like a muslim, you give yourself liberties to act otherwise ...
Reply

bintYahya
11-24-2011, 05:18 PM
SFatima, that's so true. I noticed the sense of responsibility with regard to my behavior the moment I started wearing the headscarf.
Reply

Haya emaan
11-24-2011, 07:06 PM
yes alhamdulilah i am easily recognized as a muslimah but living in the Islamic state its not about being recognized as a Muslim as we have lots of 'westernized people' here now who are still recognized as a Muslim easily. Here people judge you by your outlook whether a practicing Muslim or a non practicing Muslims (commonly known as 'modern' Muslims)... (only Allah knows our intentions)..
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!