/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Yemen Protests

GuestFellow
02-16-2011, 12:32 AM
:sl:

Security forces in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, have used tear gas and batons to disperse thousands of anti-government protesters calling for President Ali Abdullah Saleh to stand down.

Share your views!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
02-16-2011, 04:20 AM
Perhaps soon it will be best to merge all of the uprising threads into one. but for the moment they are best viewed seperatly to avoid confusion. When allaah(swt) has deemed it is time for change, nothing will stop it. Is this the early signs of the coming of a true Kalifah?

GuestFellow
02-16-2011, 12:51 PM

It would be interesting to see whether the Yemeni people can topple the government. President Saleh is most likely to be removed from power before 2013. I wonder what style of government the Yemeni people are seeking to establish.

Nájlá
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Am a bit disappointed.... I expected more people to join the protests but its a good start anyway. It was really time for them to wake up.... Most yemenis are not educated and Ali abdullah saleh knows how to take a good advantage of this. I just hope they get rid of him enough is enough but I don't see that happening yemenis give up easily :/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skunkman
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Iqra Iqra Iqra Iqra اقرأ اقرأ اقرأ اقرأ

Insha'Allah, Insha'Allah, Insha'Allah!

Danah
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nájlá
Am a bit disappointed.... I expected more people to join the protests but its a good start anyway. It was really time for them to wake up.... Most yemenis are not educated and Ali abdullah saleh knows how to take a good advantage of this. I just hope they get rid of him enough is enough but I don't see that happening yemenis give up easily :/
The most thing I fear in Yemen that many people may die in this protest, way more than what happened in Egypt and Tunis!
I heard that holding a gun in Yemen is something very normal in many cities, so if guns are spreading like that then something bad may happen between the protesters and regime supporters.

May Allah protect all Muslims' countries from harm.

Nájlá
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah

The most thing I fear in Yemen that many people may die in this protest, way more than what happened in Egypt and Tunis!
I heard that holding a gun in Yemen is something very normal in many cities, so if guns are spreading like that then something bad may happen between the protesters and regime supporters.

May Allah protect all Muslims' countries from harm.
That's my fear to I was talking about this with my dad the other day he thinks that the yemenis are wise not to go around shooting even if they are not educated but Allahu 3alam and allahumaa Aameen @ your duaa.

greenvalley
02-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Salaam,

Ummah is awaikening insaallah!

Ghazalah
02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
To be fair, Ali Abdullah Salah isn't as opressive as the other leaders, but the rise in prices and in the increase in unemployment in Yemen is an issue which he doesn't seem to care about. Another thing, people in Yemen (ordinary) posses guns, so when the fighting intensifies, more bloodshed will be seen.

May Allah protect the Ummah. Ameen.

Al-Mufarridun
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Yemen MPs
quit ruling party 05 Mar 11

Several members of Yemen's ruling General People’s Congress (JPC), including members of parliament and some ministers, have resigned from the party in protest against the violence and harassment used against anti-government demonstrators in the country.

Proposal rejected

"The president rejected the proposal and is holding on to his previous offer," Yemen's opposition's rotating president, Mohammed al-Mutawakil, said.
Saleh, who has been in power for 32 years, refuses to step down until his term ends in 2013.

The proposal was made this week by a coalition of opposition groups and religious scholars.

The offer sought to end the country's political crisis, calling for a "peaceful transition of power" from Saleh by the end of this year.
It also called for a probe into the deadly crackdown on the recent anti-government protests.

The proposal also called for steps to change the constitution and rewriting election laws to ensure fair representation in parliament, removing Saleh's relatives from leadership positions in the army and security forces, and a guaranteed right to peaceful protest.

titus
03-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Yemeni snipers open fire on protesters, kill 31

By AHMED AL-HAJ and ZEINA KARAM, Associated Press Ahmed Al-haj And Zeina Karam, Associated Press – 14 mins ago

SANAA, Yemen – Yemeni government snipers firing from rooftops and houses shot at tens of thousands of anti-government demonstrators on Friday, killing at least 31 people and injuring hundreds in the crowd demanding the ouster of the autocratic president.

SOURCE

Ghazalah
03-18-2011, 08:56 PM
People getting shot in the head face neck the scenes were sickening. Some hospitals are refusing to deal with the injured protesters so they're being taken to masajids instead imsad

Ramadhan
03-19-2011, 12:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Some hospitals are refusing to deal with the injured protesters so they're being taken to masajids instead

Unbelievable!
How could the hospitals refuse injured people?

Ghazalah
03-19-2011, 02:55 PM
^Because they are anti government protesters so the hospitals refuse, pathetic. Mind you, I'm not saying all just a few I know of.

Al-Mufarridun
03-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Top army generals defect in Yemen

Three top Yemeni army generals have declared their support for anti-government protesters seeking the resignation of the country''s president, Ali Abudullah Saleh. Brigadier Ali Mohsen Saleh, the head of the north western military zone and the head of the first armoured division, said on Monday that he had deployed army units to protect the protesters.

Two more generals rallied behind Brigadier Saleh soon after.

Hakim Al Masmari, editor-in-chief of Yemen Post, told Al Jazeera that Monday's army defections spell the end for President Saleh. "It is officially over, now that 60 per cent of the army is allied with the protesters.

"For Ali Mohsin Saleh to annnouce this, it is a clear sign to President Saleh that the game is over and that he must step down now.

"It means the fall of the Yemeni army, by nightfall, we expect 90 per cent of the army to join Mohsin Saleh.

Al-Mufarridun
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Narrated Ibn 'Umar: The Prophet(pbuh) said, "O Allah! Bestow Your blessings on our Sham! O Allah! Bestow Your blessings on our Yemen." (Bukhari)

Top army generals defect in Yemen

Three top Yemeni army generals have declared their support for anti-government protesters seeking the resignation of the country''s president, Ali Abudullah Saleh. Brigadier Ali Mohsen Saleh, the head of the north western military zone and the head of the first armoured division, said on Monday that he had deployed army units to protect the protesters.

Two more generals rallied behind Brigadier Saleh soon after.

Hakim Al Masmari, editor-in-chief of Yemen Post, told Al Jazeera that Monday's army defections spell the end for President Saleh. "It is officially over, now that 60 per cent of the army is allied with the protesters.

"For Ali Mohsin Saleh to annnouce this, it is a clear sign to President Saleh that the game is over and that he must step down now.

"It means the fall of the Yemeni army, by nightfall, we expect 90 per cent of the army to join Mohsin Saleh.

Al-Mufarridun
04-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Yemen president agrees Gulf plan to resign
Aide to Ali Abdullah Saleh says leader has agreed to step down
under a 30-day transition plan after weeks of protests.

اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ، اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ،

Allahumma a'izzal-Islama wal-Muslimeen, Allahumma a'izzal-Islama wal-Muslimeen,

Ameeen ya Rabb!!

Ghazalah
04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ، اللهُمَّ أَعِزَّ الإِسْلامَ وَالمُسْلِمِينَ،
Ameen!

I hope something gets sorted out soon, and Saleh isn't just saying this to shut everyone up. <_<

سيف الله
05-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Salaam

Crises and unrest continues in Yemen

Deadly street battles sweep Yemeni capital

More than 40 killed and hundreds flee as fighters loyal to rival tribal leader clash with forces of President Saleh.

Tribal fighters ranged against Yemen's president Ali Abdullah Saleh have fought pitched street battles in Sanaa, the capital, killing more than 40 and raising the spectre of a civil war. On Thursday, residents were fleeing Sanaa by the hundreds, hurriedly fastening possessions to the roofs of cars, hoping to escape the violence that has killed more than 70 people since Monday, Reuters news agency reported.

Fighters in civilian clothes roamed some districts and machinegun fire rang out sporadically. Sporadic explosions could be heard in the capital near the protest site where thousands of people demanding Saleh's ouster are still camped. There were long queues at Sanaa bakeries, banks and petrol stations as residents tried to stock up on cash and food before fleeing to safer areas in the impoverished state.

"I'm going to Hudaida, I can't stay anymore after what happened last night. That was crazy. We are civilians and want to live in peace," Hani Zobeidi, a civil servant, said. The fighting, pitting the security forces of President Saleh against members of the country's most powerful Hashid tribe led by Sheikh Sadiq al-Ahmar, was the bloodiest Yemen has seen since protests began in January.

Arrest order

The Yemeni president ordered the arrest of Sheikh Sadiq following the deadly clashes. In a statement issued on Thursday, Yemen's defence ministry said Saleh had ordered that al-Ahmar and nine brothers be brought to justice for "for armed rebellion". Dozens of people were killed in overnight gun battles in Sanaa, while the defence ministry said at least 28 people were killed in an explosion at an arms storage area. A government official said that the headquarters of an opposition television station had been "destroyed", without giving details.

Sheikh Sadiq is the leader of the Hashid tribe, which includes Saleh's tribe, and has been a vocal opponent of the president, joining protesters in calling for him to leave power. The Hashid tribe is one of two main tribal groupings in Yemen. Alongside the Baqil, it has played a leading role in politics for centuries. According to leaked US cables, Sheikh Sadiq, and his brother Amid, have long wanted to replace Saleh.

And in March, another member of the clan - Yemen army general - Ali Mohsen al-Ahmar, also threw his weight behind the protesters. Mohammed al-Qadhi, a Yemeni journalist in Sanaa, told Al Jazeera that the situation in the city was becoming increasingly tense.
"The government is saying that there was an explosion at an arms storage plant, but the opposition say that government troops were shelling residential areas," al-Qadhi said.

G8 for Saleh's departure

Meanwhile, leaders of the Group of Eight (G8) powers attending a summit in France have called on Saleh to quit. "We deplore the fighting that occurred overnight which was a direct result of the current political impasse, for which President Saleh has direct responsibility due to his refusal to sign the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) transition agreement," a French foreign ministry spokesman said.

The US, which has long considered Saleh as an ally in its fight against al-Qaeda, called on the embattled Yemeni leader to quit. Hillary Clinton, the secretary of state, said in Paris: "We continue to support the departure of President Saleh who has consistently agreed that he would be stepping down from power and then consistently reneged on those agreements."

The US has ordered all non-essential diplomats and embassy family members to leave the country. Britain has also announced to cut its embassy staffing in Yemen because of the deteriorating security situation in the country. William Hague, the foreign secretary, said on Thursday he was "appalled by the reports of yet more deaths in Sanaa'' and urged Saleh to step down.

Catherine Ashton, the EU foreign policy chief, has urged all sides in Yemen to cease violence as she renewed a call for President Saleh to transfer power. "I deplore the loss of so many lives and injuries. I strongly call on all sides to exercise restraint and refrain from further violence," she said. UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon's spokesman, Martin Nesirky, said Ban was deeply troubled by the clashes in Sanaa and called for further peace efforts and an immediate end to the fighting, while Britain also called for Saleh to sign the exit deal.

No takers for GCC deal

The most recent bout of fighting erupted a day after Saleh pulled out for the third time from a deal mediated by Gulf Arab neighbours for him to quit and make way for a unity government. Pressure has been mounting since February, when protesters inspired by democratic revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt began camping in squares and marching in their hundreds of thousands to call for Saleh to go.

His attempts to stop the protests by force have so far claimed the lives of more than 200 people. The coalition of opposition parties that has sided with protesters and was due to sign the deal brokered by GCC held an emergency meeting on Thursday over what it called Saleh's "insistence on dragging Yemen towards civil war”. "We call on President Saleh to stop the fighting and answer the demand of the Yemeni people for an immediate and urgent abdication of power," the coalition said in a statement.

Saleh had said on Wednesday he would make no more concessions to those seeking his departure.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...134866776.html

Ghazalah
05-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Al Ahmar Qabeelah was targeted by Ali Saleh hence the uproar recently, things will no doubt escalate and my holiday in the summer will be no more. imsad

May Allah deal with the oppresses the way they deserve, ameen.

Nájlá
05-28-2011, 08:02 PM
^^^Aameen!!!

Ali Abdullah salah's aim is to create civil war. That's his aim and thats why he target al ahmar. Weldone Mr deaf salah, your doing well to acheive your aim.

سيف الله
06-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Salaam

Fighting intensifies across Yemen

Armed clashes between tribal fighters and government forces intensify in Sanaa while US envoy arrives to stop civil war.

Fighting has intensified in Sanaa, the Yemeni capital, between forces loyal to the president and those allied to an opposition tribal group. Much of the clashes occured in the Hasaba district in the northern part of the city on Thursday, where fighters from the Hashed tribal confederation confronted forces loyal to president Ali Abdallah Saleh.

Medics in Sanaa told the AFP news agency that 15 people, including a seven-year-old girl hit by a stray bullet, have been killed in overnight clashes in the Yemeni capital. Hakim Al Masmari, editor of the Yemen Post, told Al Jazeera that an estimated 2,000 additional fighters "armed and ready to fight" have entered Sanaa as reinforcements to the Hashed tribal confederation, led by Sadeq al-Ahmar.

"We expect [the tribal fighters] to take control of different government complexes [in Sanaa]," Al Masmari said.

Witnesses near Sanaa's Hasaba distric said they heard several blasts but were not sure of the cause or damage.

Hasaba has been the focal point of armed clashes over the past week that have killed at least 115 people and pushed the country closer to civil war.

"There are very powerful explosions. Sounds like missiles or mortars. May God protect us," a Hasaba resident said.

After a lull of several hours, large blasts began shaking northern Sanaa and nearby areas late on Wednesday, residents said. There was no immediate report of casualties or damage. In Taiz, security forces have reportedly opened fire on opposition protesters. At least 50 protesters have been killed by security forces there since Sunday, a United Nations human rights envoy said this week.

Witnesses told AFP on Wednesday that previously unarmed protesters in Taiz have resorted to carrying weapons and have clashed with police. This week, there have been three main flashpoints in the country - the fighting in the capital, government troops firing on protesters in Taiz in the south and a battle with fighters in the coastal city of Zinjibar.

Residents also reported overnight fighting near Sanaa airport, which was closed briefly last week during skirmishes between Saleh's forces and Hashed rebels. Passengers said flights were suspended for several hours at Sanaa airport which reopened later in the afternoon on Thursday.

Head of the airport denied that flights have been suspended and that they were diverted to Aden, the southern city, AFP reported.

Speaking to reporters, Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, said, "If it wasn't obvious before it certainly should be now that [Saleh’s] presence remains a source of great conflict."

http://english.aljazeera.net/video/m...556849275.html

Ghazalah
06-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Saleh's palace was targeted and he was injured as well as four personal guards dead, I honestly don't know what needs to be done to take him down.

GuestFellow
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM

Yemen president speaks after attack

^ UPDATE!

Ali Abdullah Saleh, the Yemeni president, says he is "well and in good health" after suffering injuries in an attack on his presidential palace in the capital, Sanaa.

Nájlá
06-05-2011, 09:38 AM
He's in saudi now with his family

Danah
06-05-2011, 10:01 AM
^ I think that this is "less embarrassed" way of escaping ^o)

People in Yemen are celebrating his escape now! They consider it victory for them. I hope things will be better now

Ghazalah
06-05-2011, 10:25 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
^ I think that this is "less embarrassed" way of escaping
My sentiments exactly, he didn't want it to seem like he was stepping down so he used this as an excuse to go.

Nájlá
06-05-2011, 11:37 AM
But we consider him another m5loo3 :P Its ok dear Saleh, we get your lies, we know them very well.

Yallah no 1 problem gone. :D Alhamdulillah after all that patience of over 4 months we get our victory =D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!