/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Coca Cola haram?

greenvalley
02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Assalaam to all,

It's claimed that Coca Cola contains alcohole.Is Coca Cola haram now?

I cannot give the link :exhausted

goggle : telegraph news uk coca cola

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Reflections
02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Wa-Aalaykum Salaam
I got that text too, however this is what I found on GMWA:

Coca Cola GB 2010-2011

Last Updated: 16/10/2010

Coca Cola Statement:
"
None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products have been clearly labelled on the attached list.

Soft drinks products of The Coca-Cola Company are officially recognised as non-alcoholic beverages. However, 'Schweppes' Lemonade Shandy is an alcohol containing beverage and thus is appropriately labelled. The ingredients and manufacturing process used in the production of 'Coca-Cola' are rigorously regulated by government and health authorities in more than 200 countries which have consistently recognised the beverage as a non-alocoholic product. This includes countries where Islam is the major religion."

‘Schweppes’ Lemonade Shandy - Alcoholic drink HARAAM

The rest are Halaal according to information provided, however please note that Coca Cola has not responded to our question about alcoholic flavourings. Britvic, Rubicon and Libby's drinks have clearly declared alcoholic flavourings.

If you wish to refrain from alcoholic flavourings, then we advise you that Coca Cola Company products may not be suitable for your consumption.

‘Coca-Cola’
Coca-Cola' Zero
Cherry Coke'
Diet Coke'
Diet Coke' with Cherry
Diet Coke' Citrus Zest
Caffeine-free ‘Diet Coke’
‘Sprite’
‘Sprite’ Zero
‘Fanta’ Orange
‘Fanta’ Orange Zero
‘Fanta’ Icy Lemon
‘Fanta’ Icy Lemon Zero
Fanta' Fruit Twist
‘Lilt’ Pineapple & Grapefruit (fish)
‘Lilt’ Pineapple & Grapefruit Zero (fish)
‘Five Alive’ Citrus Burst Juice Drink
‘Five Alive’ Berry Blast Juice Drink
‘Five Alive’ Tropical Hit Juice Drink
Five Alive' Apple Juice Drink
‘Powerade’ Berry & Tropical
Powerade' Cherry
Powerade' Orange (fish)
Powerade' Zero Berry & Tropical
Powerade' Zero Red Fruits
‘Roses’ Lime Cordial
‘Malvern’ Still English Water
‘Malvern’ Sparkling English Water
‘Kia-Ora’ Orange (fish)
‘Kia-Ora’ Orange - NAS (fish)
‘Kia-Ora’ Mixed Fruit
‘Kia-Ora’ Mixed Fruit - NAS
‘Cresta’ Lemonade
‘Oasis’ Summer Fruits
‘Oasis’ Summer Fruits Light
‘Oasis’ Citrus Punch
Oasis' Peach Passionfruit Extra Light
‘Dr Pepper'
‘Dr Pepper’ Zero
Relentless'
Relentless' Inferno (fish)
Relentless' Juiced Energy
Relentless' Juiced Energy Berry
‘Canada Dry’ Ginger Ale
‘Canada Dry’ Diet Ginger Ale
Glaceau' Revive
Glaceau' Spark
Glaceau' Defence
Glaceau' Power C
Glaceau' Essential
Glaceau' Multi V
Glaceau' XXX Triple Berry
Glaceau' i-focus
Schweppes' Abbey Well Natural mineral Water Still
Schweppes' Abbey Well Natural Mineral Water Sparkling
‘Schweppes’ Indian Tonic Water
‘Schweppes’ Slimline Tonic Water
‘Schweppes’ Bitter Lemon
‘Schweppes’ Slimline Bitter Lemon
‘Schweppes’ Soda Water
‘Schweppes’ Russchian - 1 Litre
‘Schweppes’ Slimline Tonic Water with a hint of lemon Zest
‘Schweppes’ Lemonade
‘Schweppes’ Diet Lemonade
‘Schweppes’ Ginger Beer
‘Schweppes’ Orange Squash (fish)
‘Schweppes’ Peppermint Cordial
‘Schweppes’ Lime Cordial
‘Schweppes’ Blackcurrant Cordial
‘Schweppes’ Tomato Juice Mix
‘Schweppes’ Pink Grapefruit
‘Schweppes’ Pineapple Juice
Schweppes' Orange Juice Standard
Minute Maid' 100% Pure Orange Juice - 330ml cans
Minute Maid' 100% Pure Apple Juice - 330ml cans

Fish= Minute traces of fish gelatine

None of the products of CCGB contain ingredients derived from mammals. The products that contain minute traces of fish gelatine have been clearly labelled (fish)

FS123
02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
it is not as far as I know but it is extremely bad for your health. Avoid these soft drinks and drink healthy.

sister herb
02-17-2011, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FS123
it is not as far as I know but it is extremely bad for your health. Avoid these soft drinks and drink healthy.
I agree. Buy some oranges and other fruits and make juice by yourself. Much better to your health.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't drink soda, so this does not really affect me, but I doubt coca cola contains alcohol. Coca cola is available in all muslim countries who have food agencies that test food and drink, especially such popular item as coca cola. Anyway, US' very strict standard set the standard of maximum alcohol traces for softdrinks at 0.05%. This is a rumour that has been around for a while.

Here's the denial printed in a UAE's newspaper http://www.thenational.ae/featured-c...ntains-alcohol

Reflections
02-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Coke isn't my sort of soft drink, it'd have to be Irn Bru...Considering I have atleast 1 can a day....

Hannah.
02-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah sis, try substituting soft drinks for fresh fruit juice. Buy lots of different fruits and then put them all in a juicer.. its yum! I add carrots to mine too. Its also very good for the immune system - haven't been ill in ages! subhan'Allah

Faatin
02-17-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't know if this is also true, but I've heard that if read back wards coca cola looks similar to Arabic letters and spells out "no Mohammed" AstagfirAllah. If it does, was it done intentionally?

Dagless
02-17-2011, 05:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faatin
I don't know if this is also true, but I've heard that if read back wards coca cola looks similar to Arabic letters and spells out "no Mohammed" AstagfirAllah. If it does, was it done intentionally?
No.

Faatin
02-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Okay good. Because I made myself stopped drinking it after I heard that but when I went online to check if it was true it showed up :/
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless

No.

Dagless
02-17-2011, 05:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faatin
Okay good. Because I made myself stopped drinking it after I heard that but when I went online to check if it was true it showed up :/
I think a lot of things can be made to look like other things if you twist turn etc. The point is that this was made to say Coca Cola and nothing else. Taken from wiki:

The famous Coca-Cola logo was created by John Pemberton's bookkeeper, Frank Mason Robinson, in 1885.[49] Robinson came up with the name and chose the logo's distinctive cursive script. The typeface used, known as Spencerian script, was developed in the mid 19th century and was the dominant form of formal handwriting in the United States during that period.
I've personally been avoiding Coke for a while now, but that's more because they support Israel.

S_87
02-17-2011, 08:29 PM
most fizzy drinks including coke has alcohol in the making process which evaporates making it a 'non alcoholic drink'

IslamicRevival
02-17-2011, 08:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenvalley
Assalaam to all,

It's claimed that Coca Cola contains alcohole.Is Coca Cola haram now?
As far as im aware, Coca Cola is Not Haram but i dont drink it anyway, Ive boycotted 'Israhelli' made products.
I suggest we do what we can to help our brothers and sisters in Palestine
We need to stop lining these Israhelli babykillers pockets by not purchasing their goods

Woodrow
02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I oppose drinking Coca cola for the simple reason fruit juices are much more healthy.

As far as it being halal or haram, much will depend on how well you can trust the bottling company company. I am reasonably certain you can trust the bottlers in places like Syria, Saudi and Iran to be certain it has no haram products in it.

I think if Iran permits Coke to be bottled and sold in Iran there is some indication it is halal

http://www.coca-colaconversations.co...greetings.html

Not very long ago Israel was boycotting Coca-cola because they considered it to be Muslim owned, Most coke sold in Israel was bottled in Iran. but now there is a bottleing plant also in Israel and also one in the Palestinian West Bank, which currently is the largest non-Israeli employer of Palestinians.

Dagless
02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Most coke sold in Israel was bottled in Iran. but now there is a bottleing plant also in Israel and also one in the Palestinian West Bank, which currently is the largest non-Israeli employer of Palestinians.
Do you have an independent source for this? (preferably Palestinian).

Ansariyah
02-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Dont know if its haram but its definitely bad for ur health. So are other drinks that contain artificial colurings/flavourings sugars. My mom forbid us from drinking coke/ all fizzy drinks when we were lil n I'm so grateful she did. Water or 100% juice thats the way to go!

Woodrow
02-17-2011, 11:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
Do you have an independent source for this? (preferably Palestinian).
Avoiding using the Coca-Cola website here are a few sources:

First source is not a good source but here is from Wiki:

Homemade fruit juices are also a common household drink during warm days and during Ramadan, the holy month for fasting by Muslims.[8] A warm drink made from sweetened milk with salep garnished with walnuts, coconut flakes and cinnamon, is known as sahlab and is primarily served during the winter season.[35]

A widely consumed liquor by Palestinian Christians and many less-stringently observant Muslims is Arak. Arak is a clear anise flavored alcoholic drink that is mixed with water to soften it and give it a creamy white color. It is consumed during special occasions such as holidays, weddings, and gatherings or with the mezze.[8] Beer is also a consumed drink and the Palestinian town of Taybeh in the central West Bank contains the only beer brewery in the Palestinian territories. In addition to regular beer, the brewery produces non-alcoholic beer for conservative Muslims.[36] Soft drinks are also common in Palestinian homes and the city of Ramallah contains a Coca-Cola bottling plant, while Gaza, Hebron and Nablus have distribution centers.[37] A Pepsi-Cola plant in Gaza was shut down in 2007
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_cuisine

This is from AME the Mideast Business resource list:

The National Beverage Company Coca-Cola provides 300 direct job opportunities, while those who indirectly benefit from the company are approximately 6,000 Palestinian families. The National Beverage Company contributes approximately $15 million into the Palestinian economy.

The National Beverage Company Coca-Cola has suffered difficulties in conducting its business since the beginning of Israeli closures more than a year and a half ago, which have hindered the normally effective distribution of products. Imad Hindi, Production Manager for the company, said that the recent Israeli occupation of Ramallah has brought distribution to a complete standstill for the last 10 days.
SOURCE

ardianto
02-18-2011, 02:06 AM
In Indonesia Coca Cola has halal certificate. And I don't think Coca Cola that sold in other countries are different than Coca Cola that sold in Indonesia.

Woodrow
02-18-2011, 07:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In Indonesia Coca Cola has halal certificate. And I don't think Coca Cola that sold in other countries are different than Coca Cola that sold in Indonesia.
The only differences I have found is the Coca-Cola produced in countries that use the old glass bottles (Such as Mexico) instead of the plastic or cans tastes more like the Coke from the 1940s. I checked into that and found it is because they can use a higher CO2 level then can be used in aluminum cans or plastic bottles. It gives more fizz and does not absorb any flavor that is absorbed from plastic or aluminum

Mohamed_Sadiq
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
No, Coca Cola ain't haram...

innocent
02-18-2011, 04:05 PM
What about this recent news though. It does contain alcohol according to this.
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-d...ifestyles.html

Rabi'ya
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
:sl:

I dont buy Coke as its on the boycott list for Israel. But as for it being haraam. this is not something I have heard before.

Muslim Woman
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Salaam

Coca Cola company denied the allegation .
They said :

Products And Packaging Rumors

Rumor: The Secret Formula for Coca-Cola includes alcohol

Our Response: In the manufacture of Coca-Cola, alcohol is not added as an ingredient and no fermentation takes place.

The ingredients and manufacturing process used in the production of Coca-Cola are rigorously regulated by government and health authorities in more than 200 countries which have consistently recognized the beverage Coca-Cola as a non-alcoholic product.

Coca-Cola is safe and meets the safety requirements, laws and practices in every country where our brands are sold.

http://www.islamicteachings.org/foru...89.html#p41957

Don't know which info is correct . But I never liked the taste .

innocent
02-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Just been to the coca cola website.

All our drinks are non alcoholic. In every country where our products are sold, our soft drinks are recognised by the local government and health authorities as non alcoholic.

http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/ingre...n-alcohol.html

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 05:35 PM
What will the prophet do if you gave him a glass of cola?

Guys think of this. I think it's makhru aka not good, but I still drink at parties.

Musalman
02-18-2011, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sister harb
I agree. Buy some oranges and other fruits and make juice by yourself. Much better to your health.
You are right.

ardianto
02-18-2011, 05:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
The only differences I have found is the Coca-Cola produced in countries that use the old glass bottles (Such as Mexico) instead of the plastic or cans tastes more like the Coke from the 1940s. I checked into that and found it is because they can use a higher CO2 level then can be used in aluminum cans or plastic bottles. It gives more fizz and does not absorb any flavor that is absorbed from plastic or aluminum
In Indonesia Coca Cola in glass bottles are available in many stores. But when I visited Singapore I didn't find Coca Cola in glass bottles, even in restaurants.

Dagless
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zuzubu
What will the prophet do if you gave him a glass of cola?

Guys think of this. I think it's makhru aka not good
Evidence?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!