/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is learning magic haram?

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Asalamu Alaykum. I found this topic interesting, but is it halal to learn magic without using it the bad way?

I spoke to a lot of wiccans and sufis about this, many who call themselves muslims and say it's fine as long as u dont misuse it

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
02-18-2011, 03:04 PM
yes its haram. why do we need magic even for a 'good' way, there is no good way and its still done through the jinns and shaytans

check this out:

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/4010/learning%20magic
and
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/92810/learning%20magic

Woodrow
02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
There are several things associated with the word magic. There is the entertainment which is based upon illusion, sleight of hand and other types of devices that do not involve anything supernatural, just an illusion of the impossible being done. From what I understand that is permissible for entertainment provided it is understood that it all has a physical explanation and is not based upon any mysterious, supernatural power.

Actual magic that involves things like spells is at best a waste of time and at worse a form of shirk. It is pure nonsense and very misleading. There is no distinction between "good' and "bad" magic. It is all a form of shirk as it is placing trust and prayers to something besides Allaaah(swt) keep away from such nonsense and have no fear of those who use it Allaah(swt) is the only power and those who delve into powers other than Allaah(swt) are truly misguided and mischief makers.

MartyrX
02-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Wiccans who are Muslims? That's a new one.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
But if u just learn it for intelligence, and not for using it?

breezes
02-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Asalamu Alaykum
it's haram please reed this:
" And follow that which the devils falsely related against the kingdom of Solomon. Solomon disbelieved not; but the devils disbelieved, teaching mankind magic and that which was revealed to the two angels in Babel, Harut and Marut. Nor did they (the two angels) teach it to anyone till they had said: We are only a temptation, therefore disbelieve not (in the guidance of Allah). And from these two (angles) people learn that by which they cause division between man and wife; but they injure thereby no-one save by Allah's leave. And they learn that which harmeth them and profiteth them not. And surely they do know that he who trafficketh therein will have no (happy) portion in the Hereafter; and surely evil is the price for which they sell their souls, if they but knew"

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
Wiccans who are Muslims? That's a new one.
The guy said "I am both muslim and wiccan"

ardianto
02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zuzubu
Asalamu Alaykum. I found this topic interesting, but is it halal to learn magic without using it the bad way?
Wa'alaykumsalam. Learn Sihr (magic) is haram.
I spoke to a lot of wiccans and sufis about this, many who call themselves muslims and say it's fine as long as u dont misuse it
Wiccans are not Muslims but Neo-Pagan. Name Wicca itself is originally from Witchcraft.

But Sufis are Muslims, and they are known as people who make many special du'a for special purpose, in example, du'a for protect house, du'a for protect someone from crime, du'a for terminate black magic, etc. Until this point I can not say they use magic. However, I found some of those Sufis are 'walk too far' and start to make a deal with jinn and use magic.

arabic alphabet
02-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Du'a for protection of gin and Satan It is not the same what is magic and sihr.

ardianto
02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
There are several things associated with the word magic. There is the entertainment which is based upon illusion, sleight of hand and other types of devices that do not involve anything supernatural, just an illusion of the impossible being done. From what I understand that is permissible for entertainment provided it is understood that it all has a physical explanation and is not based upon any mysterious, supernatural power.
Illusion is permissible.

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Guys, it's fine u say magic is haram, but LEARNING IT?

Salahudeen
02-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Yes it is haraam and a major sin. The sufis' in my locality pratice it, they give out amulets containing numerology and other shirky stuff, they also tell you to put it in water and drink it for a certain number of days, this is magic.

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Watch the video I posted. I may help you understand better how the jinns assist you and why.

Innocent Soul
02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
This will help you.
http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/11809/

Salahudeen
02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
There is no such thing as good magic, all magic is kufr.

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Some magic can eventually heal I have got told. I dunno if it's magic or something else though.

What about reciting Alif Laam Meem while holding someones toes, it's said, that this is a major healing by many sufis.

Salahudeen
02-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Some magic can eventually heal I have got told. I dunno if it's magic or something else though.

What about reciting Alif Laam Meem while holding someones toes, it's said, that this is a major healing by many sufis.
Forget what the people tell you, look at what Allah tells you, learning and praticing magic is disbelief.

And they followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Solomon. It was not Solomon who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew. Baqrah 102.

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Ok, Shukran.

breezes
02-18-2011, 04:20 PM
allah bless you brother .

Ramadhan
02-18-2011, 04:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by

Ruqyah heals.

Magic leads you to kufr. Absolutely forbidden.

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by breezes
allah bless you brother .
Indeed, Allah bless me. And bless you dear sister, and bless us.

w/salam

Ramadhan
02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Here's the basis why magic is absolutely haram:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever blows on knots practices magic, and whoever practices magic is a mushrik (polytheist).” (Reported by At-Tabarani)

`Abdullah ibn Mas`ud reported, “Anyone who goes to a diviner, a practitioner of magic or a soothsayer, asking something and believing in what he says, denies what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Reported by Al-Bazzar and Abu Ya`la)

"And they followed what the Shaitans chanted of sorcery in the reign of Sulaiman, and Sulaiman was not an unbeliever, but the Shaitans disbelieved, they taught men sorcery and that was sent down to the two angels at Babel, Harut and Marut, yet these two taught no man until they had said, "Surely we are only a trial, therefore do not be a disbeliever." Even then men learned from these two, magic by which they might cause a separation between a man and his wife; and they cannot hurt with it any one except with Allah’s permission, and they learned what harmed them and did not profit them, and certainly they know that he who bought it should have no share of good in the hereafter and evil was the price for which they sold their souls, had they but known this.” (Al-Baqarah: 102 )‏

"Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of the dawn. From the evil of what He has created. And from the evil of the utterly dark night when it comes. And from the evil of those who blow on knots. And from the evil of the envious when he envies.” (Al-Falaq: 1-5)

“Those who swallow down usury cannot arise except as one whom Shaitan has prostrated by (his) touch does rise. That is because they say, trading is only like usury; and Allah has allowed trading and forbidden usury. To whomsoever then the admonition has come from his Lord, then he desists, he shall have what has already passed, and his affair is in the hands of Allah; and whoever returns (to it)-- these are the inmates of the fire; they shall abide in it.” (Al-Baqarah: 275)

"Verily whoever sets up partners with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him and the fire will be his abode. And for the Zalimun (Polytheists, and wrongdoers) there are no helpers." (QS. Al-Maaidah 5:72)

“The hadd (prescribed punishment) for the practitioner of magic is a blow with the sword (i.e., execution).”
(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1460; al-Daaraqutni, 3/114; al-Haakim, 4/360; al-Bayhaqi, 8/136; see al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah, 3/641, no. 1446

Muslim narrated in his Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about something, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days.”

And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a soothsayer and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”

Narrated by Abu Dawood and by the four authors of al-Sunan; classed as saheeh by al-Haakim who narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller or soothsayer and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”

And it was narrated that ‘Imraan ibn Husayn (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He does not belong to us who observes bird omens or has that done for him, or who seeks divination or who has that done for him, or who practices witchcraft or has that done for him. Whoever goes to a soothsayer and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” Narrated by al-Bazzaar with a jayyid isnaad.

ardianto
02-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Learn magic is haram. But make a research about magic and magician actually is not haram, as long as you make this research from outside.

Ramadhan
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
And instead of magic, it would be much better for you to learn ruqyah:

Here's a good article on ruqyah: n http://www.missionislam.com/health/quranhealing.html

MartyrX
02-18-2011, 05:18 PM
The guy said "I am both muslim and wiccan"
He can't be. He can say that he is, but he's not.

Zuzubu
02-18-2011, 05:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
He can't be. He can say that he is, but he's not.
Ya IKR..

I'll try reading some ruqyah, figuredout wutever it is. :statisfie

Cabdullahi
02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
Stop playing world of warcraft!

IslamicRevival
02-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Surah Al Baqarah - Verse 102

They followed what the Shayâtin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaimân (Solomon). Sulaimân did not disbelieve, but the Shayâtin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two (angels,) Hârût and Mârût, but neither of these two angels taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allâh's Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew. (102)

Surah Al-Falaq

In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Say: "I seek refuge with (Allâh) the Lord of the daybreak, (1) "From the evil of what He has created; (2) "And from the evil of the darkening (night) as it comes with its darkness; (or the moon as it sets or goes away) (3) "And from the evil of those who practise witchcrafts when they blow in the knots, (4) "And from the evil of the envier when he envies." (5)

Practicing Black Magic is Haram, I have heard a scholar say whoever practices it is out of the fold of Islam
Allah Azzawajal Knows Best

Faatin
02-18-2011, 07:46 PM
I feel that being associated with it in anyway, whether it be learning it or practicing it or even having long discussions about it and wasting time talking about it is not good.

lobel2014
03-19-2011, 12:53 AM
So is it Ok to learn it for fun like to show your friends and just have fun?

Ummu Sufyaan
03-19-2011, 01:03 AM
why would you want to learn such a twisted thing?

Darth Ultor
03-19-2011, 02:02 AM
If you want to learn magic, just wave a stick around and say stuff in Latin.

I thought you meant "magic" as in magician acts. Those aren't haraam are they? It's just illusions and stage props.

Ali Mujahidin
03-19-2011, 03:15 AM
Stop playing world of warcraft!
Just curious. What's the connection between magic and World of Warcraft? As far as I have found out, World of Warcraft is just a bunch of pixels. I haven't found anything real in World of Warcraft yet.

IAmZamzam
03-19-2011, 03:22 AM
Illusion is certainly permissible. Real magic (why do people get so snooty about believing it to be real even though the Koran and sunnah repeatedly confirm it and even tell us to pray for protection from it?) is not. Wicca is called a form of neopaganism for a reason. They believe in a goddess as well as a god, and not in Allah. The Koran tells us to pray to be shielded from the spells of "women who blow on knots"; does that sound to any of you like it's depicting magic as either false or potentially good? Read the sunnah on the matter.

There's no reason to learn how to do something we are not allowed to do.

ardianto
03-19-2011, 03:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
Just curious. What's the connection between magic and World of Warcraft? As far as I have found out, World of Warcraft is just a bunch of pixels. I haven't found anything real in World of Warcraft yet.
Did Abdullahii ever makes a serious post ?. ;D

Faatin
03-19-2011, 03:29 AM
If performing it is forbidden then obviously being associated with it in any way is also wrong.

Darth Ultor
03-19-2011, 03:46 AM
*Waves wand* Lumos Maxima!

Little_Lion
03-19-2011, 03:53 AM
It's a good thing that someone pointed out the World of Warcraft comment was a joke; it headed off a HUGE rant from me! XD

I was a Wiccan priestess for several years; then renounced it, went without a religion for an equal period of time, before finding the Truth in Islam. And I can tell you, there is absolutely, positively, NO WAY that you can be both Wiccan and Muslim. One of the whole foundations of Wicca is that while you recognize Divinity, you worship each "aspect" of it separately. The best equivalent I could give is if you took all the names of Allah and worshiped them as separate gods. Another point in the religion is the belief that power, in the form of magic, comes from within each person (and tree, and rock, etc.) that while it is a part of the Divine, it is separately controllable by individuals. There's a lot more to it, but just those two things should be enough to show anyone that Wicca and Islam can't go hand in hand. If you see this person again, perhaps you can educate them . . . a lot of Wiccans like to think that their faith not only equates them with every other religion, but somehow puts them "one up" on others. :(

Ummu Sufyaan
03-19-2011, 07:24 AM
^i dont know much about wiccan other than i used to have a friend who was wiccan and i would have to agree with what you say. claiming to be wiccan and being muslim at the same time is...foolish.

If you want to learn magic, just wave a stick around and say stuff in Latin.

I thought you meant "magic" as in magician acts. Those aren't haraam are they? It's just illusions and stage props.
its probably best not to go anywhere near magic be it in good heartedness or otherwise because even though one may have a clean and innocent intention, most often than not in such cases where one intends a good thing by approaching a bad thing, unfortunately the result is otherwise and the consequences arent so great.

Ramadhan
03-19-2011, 01:36 PM

I am afraid no one has introduced you to abdullaahi yet :)
His sense of humour can be...ummm... "different" and off putting to some people who are not used to his jokes. his humour can sometimes be brilliant, though.

'Abd Al-Maajid
03-19-2011, 01:40 PM
His sense of humour can be...ummm... "different" and off putting to some people who are not used to his jokes.
I agree...:)

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-19-2011, 11:12 PM

Assalaamu Alaaykum

The magic that does heal is the one which is done through the shaytaan/devil. This is to misguide one away from Allaah into thinking it is then okay to do something which is forbidden, by disobeying Allaah. Remember Shaytaan is the enemy of mankind. Doing something that is against the Islamic teachings leads one astray, far away from the deen. If Islaam forbids something because it is not good for us we musnt try to make it permissable in any way, to please ourselves or others since we keep looking for excuses. So it is simple, stay away. Only Allaah the pure the allmighty the creator of the creation, believe in him and only seek out to him for help. Like others have said you can do your research but keep away for people who do such stuff, or give Dawah.

Zuzubu
03-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I see it quite fun to know how to make magic, and I think you know what I mean. But yes, it's wrong. ;) Wanted to clarify if it was haram to learn it without using it.

World of warcraft and magic?

I'll take it serious.

There are ghosts, jinns, magician classes, etc. All these kind of stuff where they use wands and spells to kill others, and where u can fly on a flying carpet connects magic with WOW. But I think it's fine to play it in a game.

But I stopped playing wow (world of warcraft) because it is addicting, and u play for long time each day, which is haram to make a game a lifestyle.

Woodrow
03-20-2011, 02:40 PM
The word magic encompasses quite a few different things, not all of which are magic. Magic requires a supernatural, non-physical ability or help.

Examples of things that would come under this are:

Fortune Telling
Casting Spells/curses
Numerology
Tarot
Ouija Boards
Magic Healing
(This is an incomplete list, other things may be applicable)

Whether or not if any of those actually exist is of no importance, the fact that a person believes they are doing them and practicing any of them is haram. As these are all forms of/or any combination of: false worship, shirk, idolatry etc. What makes these haram is that in each of them the practitioner is calling upon a power other than Allaah(swt) for help.

some things called magic are not magic these are things such as:

Illusion (this is the common stage "magic" done for entertainment) this typically is not haram unless it is presented as being magic and the viewer is lead to believe it is magic.

Illusions all have physical explanations and can be done by anybody without any supernatural help. These are basically no different than the optical illusion shown in another thread. Nothing more than diversion for the purpose of entertainment.

Of course all things when over done or done with the wrong intent can be haram, even if the act itself is halal. ie It is halal for me to light a fire to cook my food, it is haram if I use the same fire to destroy my neighbors belongings.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Of course all things when over done or done with the wrong intent can be haram, even if the act itself is halal. ie It is halal for me to light a fire to cook my food, it is haram if I use the same fire to destroy my neighbors belongings.
What if I use my magic to make my food? And not burn houses. :)

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 08:46 AM
What if I use my magic to make my food? And not burn houses.
After FOUR pages of posts that explained why magic is haram and that it is strictly forbidden, you are still asking this?

How old are you again?

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 08:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
After FOUR pages of posts that explained why magic is haram and that it is strictly forbidden, you are still asking this?

How old are you again?
After woodrows post I was asking him. I wasn't talking to you, so speak for yourself etc?.

besides, no one answered my question. They answered a completely diffrent question without good sources like qur'an or hadith.

My question was "IS IT HALAL TO LEARN MAGIC"?

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 09:07 AM
After woodrows post I was asking him. I wasn't talking to you, so speak for yourself etc?. besides, no one answered my question. They answered a completely diffrent question without good sources like qur'an or hadith. My question was "IS IT HALAL TO LEARN MAGIC"?

are you blind?

Read these posts again (just click on pages 1, 2 and 3):

yes its haram. why do we need magic even for a 'good' way, there is no good way and its still done through the jinns and shaytans check this out: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/4010/learning%20magic and http://islamqa.com/en/ref/92810/learning%20magic
Asalamu Alaykum it's haram please reed this: " And follow that which the devils falsely related against the kingdom of Solomon. Solomon disbelieved not; but the devils disbelieved, teaching mankind magic and that which was revealed to the two angels in Babel, Harut and Marut. Nor did they (the two angels) teach it to anyone till they had said: We are only a temptation, therefore disbelieve not (in the guidance of Allah). And from these two (angles) people learn that by which they cause division between man and wife; but they injure thereby no-one save by Allah's leave. And they learn that which harmeth them and profiteth them not. And surely they do know that he who trafficketh therein will have no (happy) portion in the Hereafter; and surely evil is the price for which they sell their souls, if they but knew" (QS. Al Baqarah:102)
and this is my post which contain a whole lot of qur'an verses and ahadeeths:

Here's the basis why magic is absolutely haram:
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Whoever blows on knots practices magic, and whoever practices magic is a mushrik (polytheist).” (Reported by At-Tabarani)
`Abdullah ibn Mas`ud reported, “Anyone who goes to a diviner, a practitioner of magic or a soothsayer, asking something and believing in what he says, denies what was revealed to Muhammad.” (Reported by Al-Bazzar and Abu Ya`la)
"And they followed what the Shaitans chanted of sorcery in the reign of Sulaiman, and Sulaiman was not an unbeliever, but the Shaitans disbelieved, they taught men sorcery and that was sent down to the two angels at Babel, Harut and Marut, yet these two taught no man until they had said, "Surely we are only a trial, therefore do not be a disbeliever." Even then men learned from these two, magic by which they might cause a separation between a man and his wife; and they cannot hurt with it any one except with Allah’s permission, and they learned what harmed them and did not profit them, and certainly they know that he who bought it should have no share of good in the hereafter and evil was the price for which they sold their souls, had they but known this.” (Al-Baqarah: 102 )‏
"Say: I seek refuge in the Lord of the dawn. From the evil of what He has created. And from the evil of the utterly dark night when it comes. And from the evil of those who blow on knots. And from the evil of the envious when he envies.” (Al-Falaq: 1-5)
“Those who swallow down usury cannot arise except as one whom Shaitan has prostrated by (his) touch does rise. That is because they say, trading is only like usury; and Allah has allowed trading and forbidden usury. To whomsoever then the admonition has come from his Lord, then he desists, he shall have what has already passed, and his affair is in the hands of Allah; and whoever returns (to it)-- these are the inmates of the fire; they shall abide in it.” (Al-Baqarah: 275)
"Verily whoever sets up partners with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him and the fire will be his abode. And for the Zalimun (Polytheists, and wrongdoers) there are no helpers." (QS. Al-Maaidah 5:72)
“The hadd (prescribed punishment) for the practitioner of magic is a blow with the sword (i.e., execution).” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1460; al-Daaraqutni, 3/114; al-Haakim, 4/360; al-Bayhaqi, 8/136; see al-Silsilah al-Da’eefah, 3/641, no. 1446 Muslim narrated in his Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller and asks him about something, his prayer will not be accepted for forty days.”
And it was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a soothsayer and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” Narrated by Abu Dawood and by the four authors of al-Sunan;
classed as saheeh by al-Haakim who narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever goes to a fortune-teller or soothsayer and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).”
And it was narrated that ‘Imraan ibn Husayn (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “He does not belong to us who observes bird omens or has that done for him, or who seeks divination or who has that done for him, or who practices witchcraft or has that done for him. Whoever goes to a soothsayer and believes what he says has disbelieved in that which was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).” Narrated by al-Bazzaar with a jayyid isnaad.

etc..

again, how old are you?

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm 16, but this still dosn't answer my question. Is it halal to learn magic? Not to use magic. Maybe you are old, but you are too stupid to understand english. I guess.

piXie
03-21-2011, 10:02 AM
My brother zuzubu, may Allaah have mercy upon you.

Please could you tell me,

It is haram to steal but is it halal to learn how to steel?

It is haram to swear but is it halal to learn how to swear?

It is haram to obey the shaytaan but is it halal to learn how to obey the shaytaan?

....etc

Insaanah
03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Is it halal to learn magic? Not to use magic.
"Whoever purchases it would have no share of Paradise in the Hereafter." (Qur'an 2:102)

Eternal residence in the fire could only be a punishment for an extremely Haraam action. The verse also proves that the magician as well as one who learns or teaches magic are disbelievers. The phrase, "Whoever purchases it" (i.e. acquires it) is general in it's implications. It includes whoever acquires wealth from teaching it, whoever pays to learn it, or simply who acquires knowledge of it. Allah also referred to magic as Kufr (disbelief) in the phrase: "Verily we are a test so do not commit disbelief" and "It was not Solomon who committed disbelief, it was the devils who disbelieved by teaching the people magic" (Qur'an 2:102)
Both the practice and learning of magic is classified in Islam as Kufr (disbelief).
Source: The Fundamentals of Tawheed by Dr Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm 16, but this still dosn't answer my question. Is it halal to learn magic? Not to use magic. Maybe you are old, but you are too stupid to understand english. I guess.
I don't think I was either as rude or as dense when I was 16.

Anyone with an elementary intelligence and basic knowledge in english would understand right away that when "associating" in any way with magic is haram, then clearly learning it must be haram also.

But there's always some 16 yo who is too dense and too stubborn (and too rude) to understand that.

And if you still don't believe that previous posts have not answered your "is it halal to learn magic", then you need to go back to page 1, post #2, right after your first post:

yes its haram. why do we need magic even for a 'good' way, there is no good way and its still done through the jinns and shaytans check this out: http://islamqa.com/en/ref/4010/learning%20magic and http://islamqa.com/en/ref/92810/learning%20magic
In the http://islamqa.com/en/ref/92810/learning%20magic it says:

In these two verses there is a warning against learning witchcraft or teaching it, expressed in several ways such as: stating that it is the work of the shaytaan; learning it is kufr that annuls faith; it may result in separation between a man and his wife, which is one of the worst kinds of wrongdoing and corruption on earth; no harm or anything else happens except by the will of Allaah, i.e., His universal will; this learning will harm them and not benefit them; and the one who does that has no share of goodness with Allaah, and this is a very stern warning which should deter anyone from learning or teaching witchcraft; Allaah condemns them for learning this witchcraft as He says “And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves”; and Allaah tells them that this deed annuls faith and piety. From all of the above it is clear to every Muslim how strictly forbidden it is to learn or teach witchcraft, and how much evil and harm there is in it, and in addition to that it is kufr after having believed, and apostasy from Islam. We seek refuge with Allaah from that. So we must beware of it. It is sufficient for the Muslim to treat problems in the manner prescribed in sharee’ah and with permissible remedies, instead of treating it with that which Allaah has forbidden in sharee’ah. And Allaah is the Source of strength. End quote. Majallat al-Da’wah, dated 10/11/1414 AH.

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 10:07 AM
My brother zuzubu, may Allaah have mercy upon you. Please could you tell me, It is haram to steal but is it halal to learn how to steel? It is haram to swear but is it halal to learn how to swear? It is haram to obey the shaytaan but is it halal to learn how to obey the shaytaan? ....etc

Very good and clear analogies.
Also, how can you learn magic without practicing it?

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by member X
My brother zuzubu, may Allaah have mercy upon you.

Please could you tell me,

It is haram to steal but is it halal to learn how to steel?

It is haram to swear but is it halal to learn how to swear?

It is haram to obey the shaytaan but is it halal to learn how to obey the shaytaan?

....etc
Haram to learn how to steel (u think u mean steal, but anyways) - No it is not haram, you just grow your intelligence. but it is makhruu to learn unneccesarry stuff.

same with the others

it is not haram to learn it but to practise it.

AND YES, YOU CAN KNOW HOW TO USE MAGIC WITHOUT USING IT. We have control.

Besides, naidamar, it wont allow me to read ur posts, so speak for yourself. =)

Insaanah
03-21-2011, 10:17 AM
it is not haram to learn it but to practise it.
Did you read this post?

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ml#post1421953

The choice is yours.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
OK thanks, that clarifys it. =)

Eternal residence in the fire could only be a punishment for an extremely Haraam action. The verse also proves that the magician as well as one who learns or teaches magic are disbelievers. The phrase, "Whoever purchases it" (i.e. acquires it) is general in it's implications. It includes whoever acquires wealth from teaching it, whoever pays to learn it, or simply who acquires knowledge of it. Allah also referred to magic as Kufr (disbelief) in the phrase: "Verily we are a test so do not commit disbelief" and "It was not Solomon who committed disbelief, it was the devils who disbelieved by teaching the people magic" (Qur'an 2:102)

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 10:26 AM
ur wrong, look at the real translation

[2:102] They pursued what the devils taught concerning Solomon's kingdom. Solomon, however, was not a disbeliever, but the devils were disbelievers. They taught the people sorcery, and that which was sent down through the two angels of Babel, Haroot and Maroot. These two did not divulge such knowledge without pointing out: "This is a test. You shall not abuse such knowledge." But the people used it in such evil schemes as the breaking up of marriages. They can never harm anyone against the will of GOD. They thus learn what hurts them, not what benefits them, and they know full well that whoever practices witchcraft will have no share in the Hereafter. Miserable indeed is what they sell their souls for, if they only knew.

dont use bad translations.

Woodrow
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
What if I use my magic to make my food? And not burn houses. :)
The use of magic (magic not illusion) would mean you are asking a power other than Allaah(swt) to make the food. This seems like it would be similar to praying to Shaitan to make food. Think of magic as praying to some one besides Allaah(swt). Why would one want to learn how to pray to a false god or an idol or to Shaitan?

piXie
03-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Brother Zuzubu, it seems you are unaware of the nature of this magic and how it is performed.

If by 'learn magic' you mean the 'ability to do magic' then one cannot have this ability unless they become an accomplice with the shaytaan. Magic is done with the help of the shaytaan and an agreement must be formed between the saahir (the magician) and the devils which contains of a lot of shirk and other evil acts. Only then will the person be 'able' to perform magic.

That is why it is haram to be a saahir.

However, if by 'learn magic' you mean learn about its nature, what evil it entails, in order to make yourself and others aware in order to protect yourselves, then this is not haram. Infact, it is recommended.

I advise you to read the book called 'Sword against Black Magic and Evil Magicians by Wahid Abdussalam Bali'

It will clarify the issue of magic further for you inshaa Allaah. May Allaah guide and protect us all.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I can know how to contact the shaitaan then.

Woodrow
03-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I can know how to contact the shaitaan then.
Sadly, there is no training required to do that. All of us do so any time we ignore Allaah(swt). The secret is to learn how to not contact Shaitan, we all need to learn how to stop contacting him. The second we stop trying to keep in contact with Allaah(swt) we are in contact with Shaitan. No need to go to Shaitan, he is always waiting to come to you.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I meant in magic wise

Woodrow
03-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I meant in magic wise
No training required. The assorted mumbo-jumbo and incantations are meaningless. Just a carrot being waved in front of jackasses to keep them from seeing they have sold their souls to to Shaitan and are now running as fast as they can to jump into the pit of hellfire.

Read Books such as those "memberX" named a few posts back. Learn how to avoid magic and how to give up the temptation to learn how to do it.

A person does not do magic anyhow. It is the shaitan and/or evil Jinn that are the ones doing that and they are sitting back laughing at the stupidity of humans who are unknowingly worshiping them.

Little_Lion
03-21-2011, 12:12 PM
If you are expecting the shaytan, or anything else for that matter, to appear in a puff of smoke, you will be sorely disappointed. If you think that ANY sort of magic, be it "good" or "evil", will do anything for you that you cannot do yourself in the grace of Allah, you will be sorely disappointed. Frankly, if you think it will do anything AT ALL, other than send you to the hellfire, you will be sorely disappointed. You'll end up doing nothing but spending money on a bunch of useless props, saying a bunch of made-up words, and then trying to figure out how to get all the incense and candle smoke out of your house because your smoke alarms are going off!

I think someday I'll start a thread in "Comparative Religion" about the religions that use magic, and some of their practices (in general, not step by step instruction), so that people can be educated as to what it is really like from an insider's experience. And also how best to make da'wah to these religions, as they too have just as many misconceptions about us, even if more generally in a good way than most of the West.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
True it is very bad.

Besidesit is makhruu to learn something u aint going to use, but it is not haram to learn it.

Little_Lion
03-21-2011, 01:20 PM
My sincere concern for you, Zuzubu, is that from your responses and questions here, that you may decide to try it, just out of curiosity. Concerns of the afterlife aside, there's a lot that could go wrong with this. First off, there is no such thing - none whatsoever - as a reputable book on the subject. I don't say this just because I am no longer a follower, but because even when I was, it was the truth. Any text on magic is conglomerations of symbols, interpretations of past practices (usually quite wrong), and author musings on how things may have been possibly done at one point of time with absolutely no historical basis, just guesses. Actually I can only think of one text that has come down unchanged, from the 1500's, but that one was written by someone who took a LOT of drugs and by historical accounts was being led on by a scam artist.

Secondly, many "instructional books", with the intent of sounding scary or authentic, urge the reader to do things that are downright dangerous, such as cutting themselves or mixing up herbs and ingesting them or rubbing them on their bodies. More often or not the author has no regard to the health effects of such things, and I have even seen books suggest that people take herbs into their bodies that are downright dangerous; even worse, they suggest that people go out and pick them themselves, and most people can't tell spearmint from poison ivy, never mind actually tell if the plants grow in their area.

And last, "magic", in any sense, is purely psychological. This goes from trying to make someone fall in love with you to Sigfried and Roy and their tigers. Magic is nothing more than convincing yourself something has happened, or will happen. That's it, that's the big secret behind magic, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or misinformed. It can be being convinced someone has cast a spell on you, in which you are likely to then look for anything negative to blame on it, to convincing yourself that you cast a good spell on someone to make them healthy, in which case the person may believe they are now healthier, and recover. But there is no such thing as a rich witch, as they say; I've never heard of anyone who uses magic actually winning the lottery, which if magic worked, would happen all the time!

Knowledge is a good thing, brother, and I commend you for looking to expand yours. But please take it from someone who has been there, done that, and gotten the T-shirt . . . this would be a road that nothing good would come of. At the very least, you would be wasting your time studying something that is just plain false from every angle; you would be doing just as much good to yourself studying the Harry Potter books as if they were non-fiction. And at the worst you could convince yourself it was actually real.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Little sis', magic exists. The qur'an and hadith, is prove.

Ramadhan
03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
And last, "magic", in any sense, is purely psychological. This goes from trying to make someone fall in love with you to Sigfried and Roy and their tigers. Magic is nothing more than convincing yourself something has happened, or will happen. That's it, that's the big secret behind magic, and anyone who tells you otherwise is lying or misinformed
I have to correct you on this part, sister.

True magic does indeed exist, and you have to believe in it.
Why?
Because Allah says so in the Qur'an, as many posts have explained in this thread alone. So if you don't believe magic actually exist, you have disbelieved Allah SWT.

Just because real magic does not exist or not practiced by people in your part of the world, it does not mean it does not exist.
Even Prophet Muhammad SAW was afflicted by "sihir" (magic) by a jewish witch and not until Allah SWT revealed surah al Falaq, and he was informed where part of his hair along with other magical stuff was hidden in a well was his affliction cured.

There's a lot of people practicing magic in Indonesia and I've seen it with my own eyes.
Even an uncle of mine was a victim of black magic. Doctors had to perform surgery on him because he had totally inexplicably in his stomach balls of hair with many nails (real big steel nails, like the ones that you hammer with when you attach woods) inside it.

Allah even says in the Qur'an about djinn who go up to the heavens to eavesdrop conversation between angels who are receiving Allah commands for future events, and Allah makes some sort of stars/burning lights to chase after and struck the djinn, and later the djinn share the information they stole with many soothsayers/fortunetellers, after they first mixed it all up with their(the djinn) own hundred lies.

Again, just to share the concern, learning to perform magic is absolutely haram, because it will definitely lead you to believe something other than Allah has the power over things, and that is Shirk akbar. Unless you ask for forgiveness before death, shirk akbar will not be forgiven.
na'udzubillaahi min dzalik.

Insaanah
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
look at the real translation
I see. So the learned Dr Bilal Phillips has used a fake translation? Laa howla wa laa quwwata illa billah..

dont use bad translations.
MaashaAllah you must be quite learned yourself in the Arabic language to be able to call a translation bad. Ok, lets look at several of the best known:

Sahih International
And they followed [instead] what the devils had recited during the reign of Solomon. It was not Solomon who disbelieved, but the devils disbelieved, teaching people magic and that which was revealed to the two angels at Babylon, Harut and Marut. But the two angels do not teach anyone unless they say, "We are a trial, so do not disbelieve [by practicing magic]." And [yet] they learn from them that by which they cause separation between a man and his wife. But they do not harm anyone through it except by permission of Allah . And the people learn what harms them and does not benefit them. But the Children of Israel certainly knew that whoever purchased the magic would not have in the Hereafter any share. And wretched is that for which they sold themselves, if they only knew.

Muhsin Khan

They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulaiman (Solomon). Sulaiman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved, teaching men magic and such things that came down at Babylon to the two angels, Harut and Marut, but neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are only for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us)." And from these (angels) people learn that by which they cause separation between man and his wife, but they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's Leave. And they learn that which harms them and profits them not. And indeed they knew that the buyers of it (magic) would have no share in the Hereafter. And how bad indeed was that for which they sold their ownselves, if they but knew.

Pickthall
And follow that which the devils falsely related against the kingdom of Solomon. Solomon disbelieved not; but the devils disbelieved, teaching mankind magic and that which was revealed to the two angels in Babel, Harut and Marut. Nor did they (the two angels) teach it to anyone till they had said: We are only a temptation, therefore disbelieve not (in the guidance of Allah). And from these two (angles) people learn that by which they cause division between man and wife; but they injure thereby no-one save by Allah's leave. And they learn that which harmeth them and profiteth them not. And surely they do know that he who trafficketh therein will have no (happy) portion in the Hereafter; and surely evil is the price for which they sell their souls, if they but knew.

Yusuf Ali
They followed what the evil ones gave out (falsely) against the power of Solomon: the blasphemers Were, not Solomon, but the evil ones, teaching men Magic, and such things as came down at babylon to the angels Harut and Marut. But neither of these taught anyone (Such things) without saying: "We are only for trial; so do not blaspheme." They learned from them the means to sow discord between man and wife. But they could not thus harm anyone except by Allah's permission. And they learned what harmed them, not what profited them. And they knew that the buyers of (magic) would have no share in the happiness of the Hereafter. And vile was the price for which they did sell their souls, if they but knew!

I can know how to contact the shaitaan then
Sahih International
And [mention, O Muhammad], the Day when He will gather them together [and say], "O company of jinn, you have [misled] many of mankind." And their allies among mankind will say, "Our Lord, some of us made use of others, and we have [now] reached our term, which you appointed for us." He will say, "The Fire is your residence, wherein you will abide eternally, except for what Allah wills. Indeed, your Lord is Wise and Knowing."

Muhsin Khan

And on the Day when He will gather them (all) together (and say): "O you assembly of jinns! Many did you mislead of men," and their Auliya' (friends and helpers, etc.) amongst men will say: "Our Lord! We benefited one from the other, but now we have reached our appointed term which You did appoint for us." He will say: "The Fire be your dwelling-place, you will dwell therein forever, except as Allah may will. Certainly your Lord is All-Wise, All-Knowing."

Pickthall
In the day when He will gather them together (He will say): O ye assembly of the jinn! Many of humankind did ye seduce. And their adherents among humankind will say: Our Lord! We enjoyed one another, but now we have arrived at the appointed term which Thou appointedst for us. He will say: Fire is your home. Abide therein for ever, save him whom Allah willeth (to deliver). Lo! thy Lord is Wise, Aware.

Yusuf Ali
One day will He gather them all together, (and say): "O ye assembly of Jinns! Much (toll) did ye take of men." Their friends amongst men will say: "Our Lord! we made profit from each other: but (alas!) we reached our term - which thou didst appoint for us." He will say: "The Fire be your dwelling-place: you will dwell therein for ever, except as Allah willeth." for thy Lord is full of wisdom and knowledge.

Qur'an (6:128)

As I said before, the truth is clear, and the choice is yours as to what you decide to follow. May you make the right choice. Ameen.

Little_Lion
03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Jazak'Allah khayr, to those who have corrected me. You both speak truth, and I misspoke - I should have said, that magic as Westerners practice it today, witchcraft and potions and magic circles and things you would find in the occult section of the local bookstore - is completely false. My sincerest apologies for potentially spreading misinformation, may Allah see fit to forgive me for my misdeed. Thank you again.

Zuzubu
03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Alright, thanks.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
03-21-2011, 06:16 PM
True it is very bad.

Besidesit is makhruu to learn something u aint going to use, but it is not haram to learn it.
Assalaamu Alaaykum

Brother, i thought you was asking the question, so how did you come to the conclusion that it is haraam?

It is ofcourse 100% wrong in Islaam to practice or learn something which is unnessary, but it doesnt mean it is either permissable in any way. But even i am not going to claim its "haraam", i have no source as of yet. Better to ask someone knowledageable.

Insha'Allaah the posts that have been posted help you, as they are from Qur'aan and Ahadeeth.

may Allaah increase you in knowledge and grant you happiness in this life and the akhirah Ameen

.. peace ..

Hamza Asadullah
03-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Engaging in magic is a serious sin. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) mentioned it among the seven greatest sins, and Allah Himself condemned it unequivocally in the Qur'an.

Imam Kamal ibn al-Humam (Allah have mercy on him) explained in Fath al-Qadir (6.99) that, "The learning of magic is forbidden without disagreement among the people of knowledge. Believing magic to be permitted is disbelief ( kufr)."

And Allah knows best in all matters

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!