/* */

PDA

View Full Version : women in salah

anonymous
02-18-2011, 03:23 PM
salaam -

I just wanted to know when women pray after saying 'Allahoakhbar' they put their right hand over the left and place them on the chest - do they place the hands below or on the breasts
and also what do you do with the arms - are they spread out or closed in

thankyou

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
02-22-2011, 02:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
salaam -

I just wanted to know when women pray after saying 'Allahoakhbar' they put their right hand over the left and place them on the chest - do they place the hands below or on the breasts
and also what do you do with the arms - are they spread out or closed in

thankyou
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Ibn Jurayj said, "I asked Ataa whether a woman should gesture with her hands like a male when making takbir. Ataa replied that she should not raise her hands like a male. Then he practically indicated with his hands how it should be done by lowering his hands and drawing them very close to his body. Then he said, "In the raising of the hands, a woman is unlike a man . And if she leaves that, there is no harm. ""

The Muslim Ummah continued this practice over the centuries. Imam Zuhri used to issue the same fatwa in Madinah.

PLACING THE HANDS

Allamah Abdul-Hayy Luckhnawi writes:

"As for women, the jurists are unanimous that it is sunnah for them to place their hands on their bosoms. "

(as-Si'aayah: vol. 2 p 152)

There is ijmaa' on this mas'alah.

So the hands should be placed on the bosom and kept close to the body.

For more on Womens prayer visit the following link:

Women's Prayer: Why is it Different?

http://www.shariahprogram.ca/islam-q...ifferent.shtml

And Allah knows best in all matters

anonymous
03-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Salaam

What about the arms/elbows - should they be pointing outwards or bent inwards

Hamza Asadullah
03-03-2011, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
Salaam

What about the arms/elbows - should they be pointing outwards or bent inwards
Asalaamu Alaikum, for the women the arms must be kept in at all times so as to conceal herself during Salaah. Please read the link i provided in my last post for a more thorough explanation of a womens Salaah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!