/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is reading shakespeare shirk ??? Please read this !

Zobia
02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Is reading shakespeare shirk? I ask this because some shakespeare plays like much ado about nothing, othello etc have words like "o my lord" in them when one character is talking to another.

SO. in my english literature lessons we were reading much ado about nothing and i didnt really want to read the part of any character but in the end i was like i'll read so and so's part bcs i don't know why i did that i just did.

So every so often i would have to read my chararcter's part in the play and i noticed that throughout the play the other characters said things that sounded like shirk. and i was like i hope the part i'm reading doesnt have shirk in it.But then i came across my next line in the book and it had the words "o my lord" at the start of my sentence and i was like OHH NOO.

i didnt know what to do bcs they were the first words of my sentence and it was my part but i didnt want to read those words and then i was thinking if i dont read it someone might point out and say oh you've missed the first parts out and then i would be told i have to read the words, so i was panicking really badly and then when it came to my line i said the words "o my lord" (the words at the start of my character's dialogue)

I JUST said it; out of panic. I was like so muddled and then i just said it bcs i thought i had to say it and no one else would read my part and i couldn't get out of it but i never intended to commit an act of shirk at all; i never accepted shirk with my heart at all. I just read it bcs i just did and i thought i had to or otherwise people would be like you missed your part out I couldnt find anyone to read my part :/

Have i committed shirk by what has happened and what i had done ????

I can't move on i feel like all my deeds are worthless and that i'm stuck now. and that this thing that happened is so terrible i honestly am NEVER reading another line of shakespeare again !! :(:(:(

I feel i have NO place in jannah whatsoever :(

Jazakallah Khairun.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
YM Usrah Umar
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
i dont think its nutn to worry about but i dont understand...who was sayin "oh my lord" to who? to jesus or another god?

al yunan
05-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Walaikum Salam sister.
A muslim may read any book, the issue is not the book but the Muslim.
If it effects your peace of mind or sence of right and wrong then just simply stop.
I assume your story has to do with school work, where you have no option. If so, you do your part and any time any verse makes you uncomfortable you say under your breath "Astaghfirullah Alathim wa Toubu Ileik".
Should however this not be school work then just get out of it. The important issue is not which part is permissible or not, but rather that it makes you uncomfortable which may lead to Was-Was which is worse.
When in doubt about anything it's best to let it go, until such time if ever the opposite about it is proven.
It is most admirable to me that you feel uncomfortable saying empty words (acting) for a true Believer takes their words seriously.

I commend you on your efforts to protect your Iman.
May Allah S.W.T protects us all from Fitnah.
Masalam

PS: "To read or not to read" (sorry could not resist the pun)

abdussattar
06-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Just telling you, Allah is the Rabb, not the lord.

Lord doest not complete the entire meaning of the word rabb...

And anyway, Intentions matter...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mister Agenda
06-16-2011, 03:49 PM
I think you could just skip the 'Oh, my Lord' part. The professor shouldn't fault you for obeying the tenets of your religion. I occasionally had similar issues when I was child. I was a Pentecostal and we had very strict rules about dress and behavior, sometimes I was in a postion where I had to be clear about my beliefs. For instance, in studying evolution, I would put the correct answers and add a note: 'I don't believe this to be true because it is against the Bible'. I knew the material, and that was the important thing to the teacher.

Unless the professor has particular issues with Muslims and is willing to discriminate.

Futuwwa
06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Sister, I think you are worrying too much. Shirk is actually worshiping something besides Allah, or granting something else the position that rightfully belongs to Allah only. It's not reasonable to treat something you say as part of a play where you act the role of a character as if it was said and meant by you. Words don't have any inherent objective meaning on their own, they mean exactly what the one using them means by them.

And as for the phrase "Oh my Lord", I really don't see how it is shirk. Using Allah as an expletive is improper, but it's hardly to elevate something else to his station.

Sister, you have not excluded yourself from Jannah. Even in the case that what you have done constitutes shirk, your repentance certainly makes up for it. Only someone of exceptional iman could be as concerned about what has happened as you are.

If you are uncomfortable reading certain plays aloud, talk to your professor and express your concerns. In most places, it would fall under the idea of reasonable accommodation, something religious freedom and anti-discrimination laws tend to include.

Zobia
10-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Jazakallah to the helpful answers i've recieved on this thread!
I've now sorted this problem out with myself and alhamdulillah i've felt better about it :)
May Allah bless all that helped me :)
Salam Alaikum

Dagless
10-13-2011, 02:12 PM
I know you have it sorted now but I wanted to point out the obvious - that you are reading what someone else is saying. It's like a quote. If I say "A man said 'there is no god'" it does not mean I said it or believe it. I hope you did whatever you felt comfortable with though.

Who Am I?
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM
:sl:

History lesson:

The concept of addressing nobles as "my lord" comes from the old Divine Right of Kings. It was once believed that all rulers were appointed by God, so to go against your ruler was to go against God Himself. To love and obey your ruler was the same as loving and obeying God, and you would be suitably rewarded in heaven for obeying your earthly ruler. Hence it became custom to address nobility as "my lord" as respect for your king and for God.

In reality of course, it was just another way for nobles to stay in power at the expense of their subjects, by playing upon religious superstition.

Sunnie Ameena
10-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Allah is the Rabb, not the lord.

I thought that Allah and Lord and God were all one.

Sothis Girl
02-06-2012, 06:08 AM
LOL, lord is a name for English aristocrate. You'll hear name like Lord of (area name) or Lord (name). There are names like Lord, Duke, Duchess, BAron, etc.
it's not "lord" that means "God"! :p

Zobia
05-04-2012, 10:55 PM
lol thanks for all the answers!

They really helped so much :))

Salam Alaikum!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!