/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Story of Dhul-Qarnayn from The Quran

Al-Mufarridun
02-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum

From Surah 18 Al-Kahf, Verses: 83-98
One of the most fascinating stories from the Qur'an. Let's Insha'Allah go on this journey with Dhul-Qarnayn, may Allah(swt) be pleased with him.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Zuzubu
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I love that guy. =)

He isn't a prophet is he?

Some people claim that he is Alexander the great, because the story is a bit simmilar. about the wall. sad there is no lyrics?

Al-Mufarridun
02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Yes its a fascinating story. Surah Al-Kahf is full of amazing, unique stories. No, he was not a Prophet. His story is similar to Alexander's, even Alexander wore two horns. But the scholars say Dhul-Qarnayn(he of two Hornes) here is meant that he reached the West and the East. Allah knows best.

lyrics? you mean the text, its from the translation of M.M. Pickthall(ra)
Surah 18 Al-Kahf Verses 83-98;

83 They will ask thee of Dhu'l-Qarneyn. Say: I shall recite unto you a remembrance of him.
84 Lo! We made him strong in the land and gave him unto every thing a road.
85 And he followed a road
86 Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness.
87 He said: As for him who doeth wrong, we shall punish him, and then he will be brought back unto his Lord, Who will punish him with awful punishment!
88 But as for him who believeth and doeth right, good will be his reward, and We shall speak unto him a mild command.
89Then he followed a road
90 Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.
91 So (it was). And We knew all concerning him.
92 Then he followed a road
93 Till, when he came between the two mountains, he found upon their hither side a folk that scarce could understand a saying.
94 They said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Lo! Gog and Magog are spoiling the land. So may we pay thee tribute on condition that thou set a barrier between us and them ?
95 He said: That wherein my Lord hath established me is better (than your tribute). Do but help me with strength (of men), I will set between you and them a bank.
96 Give me pieces of iron - till, when he had levelled up (the gap) between the cliffs, he said: Blow! - till, when he had made it a fire, he said: Bring me molten copper to pour thereon.
97 And (Gog and Magog) were not able to surmount, nor could they pierce (it).
98 He said: This is a mercy from my Lord; but when the promise of my Lord cometh to pass, He will lay it low, for the promise of my Lord is true.

selsebil
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Bediuzzaman Said Nursi tells us the story of Dhu’l-Qarnayn in Risale-i Nur:

" According to explanations given by investigative scholars, and as indicated by the title Dhu’l-Qarnayn, names beginning with the suffix Dhu, like Dhu’l-Yazan, were used by the kings of Yemen, therefore this Dhu’l-Qarnayn was not Alexander the Great. He was rather one of the kings of Yemen who lived at the time of Abraham (UWP) and received instruction from Khidr. Alexander the Greek, however, lived approximately three hundred years before Christ, and was taught by Aristotle.
Human history goes back in regular fashion approximately three thousand years. This deficient and short view of history is not accurate concerning pre-Abrahamic times. It continues back either as superstition, or as denial, or in very abbreviated form. The reason this Dhu’l-Qarnayn of Yemen became known since early times in Qur’anic commentaries with the name Alexander, was either that it was one of his names, so that he was Alexander the Great or the Alexander of Ancient Times, or else the following:
The particular events mentioned by verses of the Qur’an are the tips of universal events. Thus, through his prophetic guidance, Alexander the Great, who was Dhu’l-Qarnayn, founded a barrier between the peoples who were oppressors and those who were oppressed, and built the famous Great Wall of China to prevent the raids of those cruel enemies. Similarly, many powerful kings and world conquerors like Alexander the Greek followed in the path of Dhu’l-Qarnayn materially, while prophets and spiritual poles, who are like the kings of man’s spiritual world, followed him in respect of spiritual matters and guidance; they built barriers between mountains-one of the most effective means of saving the oppressed from oppressors, and later constructed strongholds on mountain tops. They founded these themselves through their material power, or through their guidance and planning. Then they built walls surrounding towns and citadels inside the towns, and finally they made machine-guns and Dreadnoughts, which were like mobile citadels. The most famous barrier on earth, the Great Wall of China, covers a distance of several days’ journeying and was built to halt the incursions against the oppressed peoples of India and China of the savage tribes known in the Qur’an as Gog and Magog, and otherwise known as the Mongols and Manchurians. These tribes several times threw the world of humanity into chaos, and pouring out from behind the Himalayas wrought destruction from East to West. A long wall was built between two mountains close to the Himalayan mountains which for a long time prevented the frequent assaults of those savage peoples, and barriers were also built through the efforts of the kings of ancient Persia, who resembled Dhu’l-Qarnayn, in the mountains of Caucasia, in the region of Darband, to halt the inroads of the plundering and pillaging Tatar peoples. There are very many barriers of this sort. Since the All-Wise Qur’an speaks with all mankind, it mentions what is apparently a particular incident, recalling all events similar to it. It is from this point of view that the narrations concerning the Barrier and Gog and Magog, and the writings of the Qur’anic commentators about them, all differ."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
selsebil
02-28-2011, 10:39 AM
This is second post! I couldn't delete!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!