/* */

PDA

View Full Version : question about chicken slaughter

roohani.doctor
02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Salam,

Is the chicken slaughtered by machines while a tape goes on saying allahuakhbar halal? In Toronto, there is a company 'zabiha maple lodge' that is certified as 'halal' but i am having trouble accepting that it is halal if it is not man-slaughtered.

MANY MANY people (muftis included) say that machine-slaughtered is ok...can someone clarify this please with hadiths etc?

I would appreciate it very much.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ardianto
02-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Slaughtering machine did not exist during Rasulullah (saw) period. So, I am not sure if we can find hadith that referring to slaughtering machine. But I found some fiqh Imam in the past had predict, in the future people will innovate slaughtering machine.

Ramadhan
02-25-2011, 02:27 PM
not sure what the ruling is but, why saying "Allahu Akbar" instead of "Bismillahirrohmanirrohim"?

ardianto
02-25-2011, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
not sure what the ruling is but, why saying "Allahu Akbar" instead of "Bismillahirrohmanirrohim"?
Habib Munzir from Majelis Rasulullah Jakarta said : in Shafi'i madhab, say "Bismillah" when slaughter an animal is not obligated. But I think I must seek another reference from other Ulama.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
roohani.doctor
02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
sorry, i dont know myself what is supposed to be said...whatever it is, if it is on tape on repeat while chicken are being slaughtered - would that be considered halal? I know they didnt have machines in Rasoolallah's pbuh time but now that they do, I dont think it is halal :/

Or a more direct question, how many of you would be willing to eat chicken that was not hand slaughtered but was 'halal' by machines

could someone clarify the whole is it halal? is it haram? issue plz

AabiruSabeel
02-25-2011, 08:12 PM
:sl:

I don't know what the fatwa is on machine slaughtered chicken, but I say there is a difference between Fatwa and Taqwa.

A fatwa (usually) gives you the borderline ruling. If you cross it, you fall into sin. Even if it is halal (and that's a big IF), that is just a permissibility.

But Taqwa dictates that we should eat only that which we know is slaughtered by a Muslim while taking Allah's name.

roohani.doctor
02-25-2011, 10:48 PM
^ jazakallah, its pretty much the answer I was looking for :)

Predator
02-25-2011, 10:57 PM
I would think its definitely Halal if slaughtered the Islamic way and if Allahu Akbar" or "Bismillahirrohmanirrohim is said over it. The muslim basically setting up a robot to do the exact same work he would do , so cant see any reason why it would be forbidden

ardianto
02-26-2011, 04:42 AM
According to majority of Ulama, slaughtering with machine is halal as long as according to Islamic rule and the machine operator say "Bismillahirrohmanirrohim" or "Allahu Akbar". But in this case, that company use tape recorder to say that words while the machine operators are silent. I think this is the point of sister Londonfog question.

MustafaMc
02-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Funny that you should ask now because tomorrow, insha'Allah, I will slaughter a couple of our roosters for the freezer.

Reflections
02-26-2011, 05:35 AM
AsSalaamu Aalaykum WarahmatAllah

Mechanical slaughter -

The point of debate among scholars with regards to mechanical slaughtering is whether it fulfils the important requisite of the Tasmiyah (reciting Bismillah at the time of slaughter) being rendered by the person actually slaughtering the animal.

The books of Fiqh state categorically that the Tasmiyah must be uttered by the person actually slaughtering the animal. If someone else utters the Tasmiyah while the person slaughtering remains quiet (i.e. intentionally omits reciting the Tasmiyah) the animal will not be Halal.

(Fatawaa Alamghiriyyah P. 286. Vol. 5)

During mechanical slaughter, when the power is turned on, and the poultry starts to move along the conveyor belt towards the fixed blades, a Muslim may be standing and reciting the Tasmiyah on each individual chicken, the question here is whether this is considered to be his own act of slaughter or not?

The majority of scholars hold the view that in the above case, only the first chicken will be considered Halal and all subsequent poultry will be Haraam.

The reason for this is that when the Muslim slaughter man turns the power on and recites Tasmiyah, his action of turning the power on is considered valid only for the first chicken. i.e. It will be assumed that the Tasmiyah has taken place on his personal act of slaughter. The pressing of the 'On' button is considered his own act.

However, as for all subsequent poultry which follows, they are not considered to be his own act of slaughter, hence his Tasmiyah remains meaningless rendering the poultry Haraam for consumption.

(Summary of an Urdu Treatise by Mufti Khalid Saifullah Rahmani. Jadeed Fiqhi Masaa'il, Page 219, Vl. 2)

And Allah knows Best

Source: GMWA.org.uk

roohani.doctor
03-05-2011, 08:48 PM
jazakallah for your replies....I believe chicken (and other animals) should be slaughtered by hand

soooo many muslims eat chicken slaughtered by machines thinking its halal but to each his/her own I guess, its kinda sad that the chiken in mecca and medina is also from brazil which is mostly machine slaughtered BUT most muslims there eat it .. will the whole salah/prayers not being accepted apply to them as they do ARE eating thinking it is halal?

also, is gluten halal or haram..i know it is from wheat and therefore is technically halal...BUT animals eat wheat etc and therefore a high amount of gluten is stored in their meat....one product i was bout to buy said it had gluten and was therefore not suitable for vegetarians... *confused* will someone clarify please.. jazakallah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!