/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking Islamic Reform

Tyrion
02-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I just recently stumbled across this video, and I found it incredibly interesting... It's a discussion that took place (recently I think?) at Oxford University, and while it's fairly long (almost 3 hours) I think it's well worth it to hear these contemporary scholars/academics discuss these important but rarely tackled issues. If you have time, please try to watch it, and if you don't, then try to watch it bit by bit over the next few days. I'd love to see what other people think of the video, the speakers, and the ideas they bring up... And I'd also like it if the video could spark some discussion here, since I think we could all learn from that. :p

The first speaker (Hamza Yusuf) begins at about 15 minutes into the video. The second speaker (Tariq Ramadan) begins at about one hour in, and at about 2 hours in the Q&A session starts.

[I've noticed that some people don't really like Hamza Yusuf, although they never seem to explain why... If you're one of those people, I ask that you try to listen to what's being said and then respond, or at least explain to me for once why you have a problem with him... I'd really like to know. :p]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Mufarridun
02-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Hamza Yusuf? Tariq Ramadan? BBC? Guardian? Channel 4? Reforming Islam From Oxford?

Ya Allah :D :D :D :D

Tyrion
02-23-2011, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mufarridun
Hamza Yusuf? Tariq Ramadan? BBC? Guardian? Channel 4? Reforming Islam From Oxford?

Ya Allah
?

just watch it, it's interesting.

Tyrion
02-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Bumpity bump.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MesMorial
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Islam of course needs to reform. It is nothing much now.

Tyrion
02-24-2011, 09:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MesMorial
Hm?

Neither of the speakers talks about changing Islam in any way...

titus
02-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I watched most of what Hamza Yusuf had to say. Very interesting. Muslims should listen to what he has to say about the word "reform" before judging.

ardianto
02-24-2011, 05:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MesMorial
No ................ !!!!

"Islamic reform" is not "Reform Islam".

Tyrion
02-24-2011, 07:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
No ................ !!!!

"Islamic reform" is not "Reform Islam".
He obviously didn't watch the video...

Zafran
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
salaam

saw this ages ago - its very good and indeed Muslims need to think about reforming themselves.

peace

Tyrion
02-26-2011, 02:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
I watched most of what Hamza Yusuf had to say. Very interesting. Muslims should listen to what he has to say about the word "reform" before judging.
I hope that word isn't putting off a lot of people...

format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
salaam

saw this ages ago - its very good and indeed Muslims need to think about reforming themselves.

peace
Yessir. :)

Rabi Mansur
02-26-2011, 03:08 AM
Hamza Yusuf has always been a favorite of mine. :shade:
Just sayin.'

:wa:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!