/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women swimming.

Hannah.
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Salaam,
I go swimming every week and ever since I started wearing the hijab I decided to get those fully covered swimming suits. However, it doesn't really cover my neck and when I come out of the pool the costume does end up sticking to the body. The pool also consists of the opposite sexes (there are no pool timings that are of women only here) but I'm not the type to gaze at people half naked. I LOVE swimming - it helps me stay fit (I used to have high blood pressure before) and its the only form of exercise I do.
What I've mentioned above does seem to be heavy on the haram side but try to understand. I really don't want to give it up - any suggestions on how to go about this?

Jazax

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Cabdullahi
02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
talk to the management about women only times.........get a group of avid swimmers who are women to back you up.....and bam!

Beardo
02-23-2011, 05:28 PM
By the way, the swimsuits are called Burkhinis, lololol. Burkha + Bikini = Burkhini.

My non-Muslim friend told me about them and I laughed my head off. LOL!

Salahudeen
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Try to find an alternative swimming bath with women only sessions, or as abdullahi said speak to this one about women only sessions, it's very strange that they don't have it all ready, most gyms do.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cat eyes
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
try going to an all womans swimming place. they are loads in u.k sister. where i live their is no only woman swimming places at all

Salahudeen
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
After searching the net I found the following, not sure how accurate or relevant it is, I just did a google search. I think your best bet is to ask the councils.

In London there are sessions in at least Leyton, Barking, Harrow, Catford and Thornton Heath, probably many more. It's best to ask the local council as well as leisure centres as more and more councils provide these. or you can ask them to start one.

I am putting together a list of all the sessions in South London, and so far I know of these two Muslim-run sessions:

Thornton Heath Muslim Fitness session: single gender swim and/or gym session with dress code, sauna and sports hall available; occasional free classes eg circuit training, aqua aerobics
Saturday 16:45-18:45
Thornton Heath Leisure Centre
£5.15/adult children allowed (girls, boys up to 4 years)
Female staff only, non-Muslims welcome if they abide by rules.
Turn up early to ensure a place
contact and enquiries: www.norbury.org
Norbury Islamic Academy

sports@norbury.org

Catford Muslim Swim Session: single gender private swim session with dress code and female staff
Sunday 15:30-17:30
St. Dunstan's College, Stanstead Road
London SE6 4TY
£3.50/adult

golden lane leisure centre:
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo..._lane.htm#swim
they do womens only sessions with women lifeguards, the place is very clean and the prices are quite good.

tigerkhan
02-26-2011, 11:10 AM
islam is religion of shyness. and shyness is important part of eman. blv even i am a male but i would never prefer going to swimming pool with mix environment, so u think muslim women should be more shy and modest.

Hamza Asadullah
03-01-2011, 02:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hannah.
Salaam,
I go swimming every week and ever since I started wearing the hijab I decided to get those fully covered swimming suits. However, it doesn't really cover my neck and when I come out of the pool the costume does end up sticking to the body. The pool also consists of the opposite sexes (there are no pool timings that are of women only here) but I'm not the type to gaze at people half naked. I LOVE swimming - it helps me stay fit (I used to have high blood pressure before) and its the only form of exercise I do.
What I've mentioned above does seem to be heavy on the haram side but try to understand. I really don't want to give it up - any suggestions on how to go about this?

Jazax
Asalaamu Alaikum, jazakallahu kahyran for sharing your issues with us. Sheikh Mufti Ebrahim Desai states on this matter:

It is permissible for Muslim women to visit female only swimming pools on the following conditions:- a) There is absolutely no fear of strange men being around. b) the satar (private parts) of the body is covered in such a way that the form and shape of the body is not exposed. c) There is no un Islamic activity such as music etc.

If any of the above are found or feared, it will not be permissible to visit the swimming pool. We suggest that you visit a private swimming pool at someone?s house. This will eradicate all the above fears thus making it possible to swim without violating any of the Laws of Shariah.

And Allah Knows Best

Source: http://www.islam.tc/cgi-bin/askimam/...12470&act=view

Since you state that you attend a mixed swimming pool where men are also present and that the swimming costume you wear sticks to your body revealing bodily definitions then it is clear that you do not meet the conditions stipulated above.

It is also not permissable for men to swim in such pools where other men do not cover their satar (Navel to knees).

Therefore you should try to attend women only swimming sessions where there is no danger of men being around and also purchase a swimming constume that will not stick to your body revealing your bodily definitions.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!