/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hell not eternal according to the Sahaba?

Argamemnon
02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Esselamu aleykum

I've heard a claim from an alim that according to Hz. Omar, Hz. Abu Bakr, Hz. Ali, Hz. Othman, Hz. Abdullah ibn Abbas (probably forgot one or two), hell is not eternal?

He also mentioned that there is a famous book written about this issue alone by Ibn Qayyim al-Jawziyyah if I recall correctly. True or false?

Jazak Allah

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MB_324
04-24-2012, 03:34 AM
I dunno Arabic but in the translation of meaning of Quran, it says the disbelievers will be in hell for eternity multiple times throughout.

Muslim Woman
04-24-2012, 04:36 AM
:sl:

On the final day , many Muslims will go to hell . But for Muslims , punishment is not eternal .

Who committed shirk / associcate partner with God Almighty , they will be in hell forever.

related verses :

But those who disbelieve and belie Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) such are the dwellers of the Fire, they shall abide thereinforever.
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #39)

And they (Jews) say, "The Fire (i.e. hell-fire on the Day of Resurrection) shall not touch us but for a few numbered days." Say (O Muhammad Peace be upon him to them): "Have you taken a covenant from Allah, so that Allah will not break His Covenant? Or is it that you say of Allah what you know not?"
( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #80)

And whoever brings an evil (deed) (i.e. shirk polytheism, disbelief in the Oneness of Allah and every evil sinful deed), they will be cast down (prone) on their faces in the Fire. (And it will be said to them) "Are you being recompensed anything except what you used to do?"
( سورة النمل , An-Naml, Chapter #27, Verse #90)

Verily, those who disbelieve, neither their properties nor their offspring will avail them whatsoever against Allah; and it is they who will be fuel of the fire.
( سورة آل عمران , Aal-e-Imran, Chapter #3, Verse #10)

CosmicPathos
04-24-2012, 04:58 AM
What do you mean by eternal? You mean eternally existing? Then Hell and Heavens are creation of Allah. How can hell exist eternally, is Hell Allah? No.

But the punishment in Hell will be eternal.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Predator
04-24-2012, 12:22 PM
What I understand is that punishment is eternal in hell for Non-Muslims who rejected Islam and those who committed Shirk

But any sane Non-Muslim who never got any exposure to the true message of Islam wont gets any free ticket to Jannah just because of their ignorance. The pen isnt lifted 'for them

They will be tested on Day of Judgement and if successful will saved from hellfire

Paradise is surrounded by hardships and Only the Grace and Mercy of Allah can send the person to Jannah and Allah knows best

Uthman
04-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure if the view was held by that many Sahaba, but I think at least some of the sahaba may have held this view. I also think Ibn Taymiyyah held the view that hell (and indeed heaven) are not eternal. However, I think it is only a very minority opinion.

sis muslimah
04-26-2012, 06:21 PM
as far as i know, hellfire for muslims is not eternal as they will only be in there to be punished for the sins they commited but for non muslims its eternal

Dagless
04-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Depends on what your definition is. Eternal can be used to mean without beginning or end - in which case Hell cannot be eternal. Maybe "endless" is a better word?

Uthman
04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
^^ Yeah, or maybe "everlasting". I think that's what is probably meant by the question.

Abz2000
04-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I believe there is confusion in the terms used, hell is not eternal since it was created, it had a beginning. only Allah is eternal, the actual term to use would be endless.

And yes, it is recorded that death shall be slaughtered and from thereon, no more death.
source:
(32) Narrated Ibn 'Umar: Allah's Apostle said, "When the People OF Paradise have entered Paradise and the people of the Fire have entered the Fire, death will be brought and will be placed between the Fire and Paradise, and then it will be slaughtered, and an announcement will be made,
'O People OF Paradise, no more death !
O people of the Fire, no more death ! '
So the People OF Paradise will have happiness added to their previous happiness, and the people of the Fire will have sorrow added to their previous sorrow."
(Sahih Bukhari Book #76, Hadith #556)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!