/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salaam from ThisOldMan

Ali Mujahidin
02-25-2011, 03:39 AM
As salaam mualaikum

I am ThisOldMan aka Ali. I am seriously considering migrating to some place where I can learn Arabic as a language I can use in my daily life.

Any suggestiongs?

JazzakuLLah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
02-25-2011, 03:43 AM
:sl: 'ThisOldMan' I was just chanting the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmPDYkCBuoY

:haha: certainly an interesting SN..

I have no advise but hope you attain your goal insha'Allah.. I'd try Rosetta stone for starters..

:w:

'Abd Al-Maajid
02-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Welcome to the forums, oldman. I cannot suggest you any places as I haven't been anywhere beyond the Gardens. Let's wait for others to reply...

Ali Mujahidin
02-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Thank you for such a swift response.

Do you mean the Rosetta Stone website? Thanks but that is not what I am looking for. I have access to all kinds of online learning facilities but there is nothing that can compare to learning Arabic in a real life situation. I am talking about using, hearing and seeing Arabic 24/7. Also eating Arabic food and taking part in Arabic culture. I understand that Islam is not Arabic but it is not a coincidence that Allah chose Arabic to be the Quranic language.

I make a living through the internet so I can be located anywhere in the world where there is internet access.

Any other suggestions?

JazzakuLLah

btw the video you linked took me right back half-a-century to when I was just a little boy. :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
02-25-2011, 03:58 AM
How about you apply for a job as an English teacher in some Arabic country? perhaps that might open doors for you insha'Allah..

:w:

Ali Mujahidin
02-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Thank you for all your responses. Feels good to know I am not all alone in cyberspace especially when it comes to things about Islam.

To The Vale's Lily
That's one idea I am toying with. I can teach English. Actually it's my profession. I specialize in teaching adults. Any brothers or sisters here from an Arabic-speaking country?

Rabi Mansur
02-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Dubai seems to have a lot of demand for English teachers. My wife was actually toying with the idea of teaching over there. But she is afraid to leave the USA. Check out what Dubai has to offer.

Abu Dhabi in the UAE has positions to fill. Insha'Allah you can find something there.

Peace.

Ali Mujahidin
02-25-2011, 04:10 AM
To Rabi Mansur
Dubai? That's interesting. However, is it anything like Riyadh? I was told that Riyadh looked just like any other city in the world, meaning that in Riyadh there is totally no Islamic ambience in the environment. Just curious. Why should your wife be afraid of leaving the US? Myself, I would not be afraid of going anywhere. Now I live in South Thailand where exploding bombs and flying bullets are not news anymore.

Rabi Mansur
02-25-2011, 04:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThisOldMan
To Rabi Mansur
Dubai? That's interesting. However, is it anything like Riyadh? I was told that Riyadh looked just like any other city in the world, meaning that in Riyadh there is totally no Islamic ambience in the environment. Just curious. Why should your wife be afraid of leaving the US? Myself, I would not be afraid of going anywhere. Now I live in South Thailand where exploding bombs and flying bullets are not news anymore.
:sl:

I'm not really all that familiar with Dubai but I am quite sure that the Islamic ambience you are looking for may not be there. It is a very modern, rich city and very western from what I hear. But sometimes you find what you are looking for.
Wife is very American and thinks that if she travels to middle east she will get blown up. ^o)

Thailand huh? My son went there for a month long visit and loved it. A great adventure for him. I've only been to Japan, Canada and Mexico. I need to see more of the world.
:wa:

جوري
02-25-2011, 04:33 AM
Thank you for all your responses. Feels good to know I am not all alone in cyberspace especially when it comes to things about Islam.

To The Vale's Lily
That's one idea I am toying with. I can teach English. Actually it's my profession. I specialize in teaching adults. Any brothers or sisters here from an Arabic-speaking country?
well yeah (Me) but I no longer live in an Arabic speaking country.. however I am pretty sure they'd love to have you in KSA or Dubai or one of those places insha'Allah.. so just give it a try.. apply for international jobs already :)

PouringRain
02-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Welcome to the forum............ and I had that song stuck in my head also when I saw your username. LOL

Ali Mujahidin
02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Thank you again for all your kind responses.

I do use that song when I teach the kiddies how not to speak Engrish. Besides, 57 is not that young any more, isn't it? Anyway, I am always 13yo when I play WoW. Oh yes, I do play WoW. It's a great game. Working on a private server of my own, too.

All of you are welcome to make Thailand your next holiday destination. Where else can you find armored personnel patrolling the streets with bullet-proof-vested M16-toting soldiers? And still get a full meal with a drink included for 1usd? Actually I would like you all to come and see how Islam is well and alive in this corner of the world. Next week, there will be a national convention in Bangkok. 20-30K people are expected. Islamic scholars coming from overseas, too. Can't send you photos, though. Totally disallowed.

selsebil
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Assalaam Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

Welcome to the forum.Hope you'd benefit from your stay here.

As salaam mualaikum

I am ThisOldMan aka Ali. I am seriously considering migrating to some place where I can learn Arabic as a language I can use in my daily life.

Any suggestiongs?

JazzakuLLah

Rabi'ya
02-25-2011, 09:08 PM
:sl:

Welcome to Li. I pray your dreams are fulfilled as soon as is practically possible. Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing you around inshAllah :)

Ali Mujahidin
02-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Thank you for your responses.

btw I posted this question on a number of Muslim forums and the total number of forums which responded was a grand total of one. Isn't that fantastic?

Actually I am not looking for income. Like I said earlier, I already earn a living from my work in the internet. What seems like an ideal situation for me is to be able to live with an Arabic-speaking family for, say, one year. In exchange for food and lodging, I can teach the members of the family how to speak English. In return, I hope to be able to finally realize my dream of making Arabic my lingua franca, so to say. Or maybe I should look for an Arabic-speaking wife instead.

Any suggestions?

Muslim Woman
02-26-2011, 12:49 AM
Salaam br;

welcome here . May Allah makes learning Arabic easy for you ( and us non-Arabs ) .

Rabi Mansur
02-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Thank you for your responses.

btw I posted this question on a number of Muslim forums and the total number of forums which responded was a grand total of one. Isn't that fantastic?

Actually I am not looking for income. Like I said earlier, I already earn a living from my work in the internet. What seems like an ideal situation for me is to be able to live with an Arabic-speaking family for, say, one year. In exchange for food and lodging, I can teach the members of the family how to speak English. In return, I hope to be able to finally realize my dream of making Arabic my lingua franca, so to say. Or maybe I should look for an Arabic-speaking wife instead.

Any suggestions?
My thought. Your best option would probably be to find an Arabic-speaking wife. You would HAVE to learn Arabic.:D

If that doesn't work, proceed to option 2.
I would certainly think that there are families in UAE that would welcome a native English speaker. I know that the Japanese used to do that a lot years ago. I lived in Japan for a couple of years and when I was leaving I got all kinds of offers to come back and teach English. With all the money in UAE certainly some families would be looking for someone who could teach them English in return for room and board.
:wa:

Ali Mujahidin
02-26-2011, 05:31 AM
Aha, the plot thickens. Now it's moving into the direction of match-making, eh?

Here's some biodata about ThisOldMan, in case, insha Allah, some brothers or sisters here might have somebody in mind who is willing to put up with me.

Birthdate: 26th August 1953
Race: Chinese
Religion: Islam, for more than three decades now.
Height: 183 cm
Weight: 98-99 kg, depending on the time of the day.
Occupation: Writing for websites, most of the time, and teaching English whenever I have the spare time to.
Income: Not yet 1000usd per month but getting there any time now.
Marital status: Very, very much single, living only with me and myself, having been de-wifed for more than a year now.
Languages spoken: Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Malay, Thai, English and Rubbish. Especially fluent in the last item.
Languages written: Malay, Thai and English.
Children: Just ten, seven boys and three girls, all grown up now.

That's the gist. Oh yes, I forgot my name. My registered name on my birth certificate is Lee Kin Hong. In Thailand, I am registered as Aree Wongwanlee. In Islam, I answer to the name of Ali bin Abdullah. My pen name is Hallelujah Lovelight, which is also another of my registered names, but it's too long a story to narrate now.

If you all would kindly whisper a word for me in your tahajjud prayers, that's would be most helpful. Allah, I always believe, is the first recourse for help.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!