/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are there any verses in the Quran that say that it is ok to translate the Quran ?

truthseeker63
02-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Are there any verses in the Quran that say that it is ok to translate the Quran ?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
02-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Peace,

If the Quran wasn't translated for the purpose of understanding, then Islam wouldn't spread as quick and as vast as it did and is still doing.

Woodrow
02-26-2011, 06:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Are there any verses in the Quran that say that it is ok to translate the Quran ?
I have never seen anything that forbids it. We are obligated to share Islam with others. How can we do so if we do not have any translated Qur'ans for those who do not read Arabic.

But keep in mind there are many words in Arabic that have no corresponding words in any other language so no translation will ever be the Qur'an as it impossible to get the full meaning or a word for word translation. A translation of the Qur'an is just that, a translation, it is not the Qur'an, the Qur'an can only be written in Arabic as no translation will have the exact same meaning.

truthseeker63
02-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Was Salman the Persian the first person to translate the Quran and did he do this was he one of the Prophet Muhammad's Companions ? Also when the Quran is translated must the Arabic be side to side ? When I ask about the history of the Quran being transalated Im not talking about in English I mean in Persian ? I read he did this during the Prophet's life time and even had a dream teling him when he was going to die.

Salman the Persian
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salman the Persian or Salman al Farisi (Persian: سلمان فارسی Salman e Farsi, Arabic: سلمان الفارسيSalman al-Farisi) was one of Muhammad's companions.

During some of his later meetings with the other Sahaba, he was referred to as Abu Abdullah ("Father of Abdullah").

[edit] Legacy

His grave is shown also in Lod (Lydda), Palestine/Israel, now inside the modern quarter called Ramat Eshkol.

[edit] Works

He translated part of the Qur'an into Persian, thus becoming the first person to interpret the Qur'an into a foreign language.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_the_Persian

Salman al-Farsi (Salman the Persian)

As a scholar, Salman was noted for his vast knowledge and wisdom. Ali said of him that he was like Luqman the Wise. And Kab al-Ahbar said: "Salman is stuffed with knowledge and wisdom--an ocean that does not dry up." Salman had a knowledge of both the Christian scriptures and the Quran in addition to his earlier knowledge of the Zoroastrian religion. Salman in fact translated parts of the Quran into Persian during the life-time of the Prophet. He was thus the first person to translate the Quran into a foreign language.

http://www.islamawareness.net/Caliph..._al_farsi.html

Salman's Dream

Shortly before his death, Salman was blessed with a dream in which he saw that the Holy Prophet Muhammad salallahu alayhi wassalam (peace be upon him)who told him that he will die on Friday in Ctesiphon.[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salman_the_Persian

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truthseeker63
02-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Also if I went to Saudi Arabia could I find the Quran in other Languages along with the Arabic text side to side ?

Woodrow
02-26-2011, 07:26 PM
No the English and Arabic need not be side by side. It may even be improper to give a translation that contained any Arabic to a non-Muslim as that would contain the Qur'an within it and we should not let anyone touch a Qur'an unless they know the proper respect and ablations to make before touching it.

As for translating it into Farsi (Persian) the Farsi translation would be further from Arabic than English is. Although Farsi has adopted the Perso-Arabic alphabet the language itself is closer to German than it is to Arabic. It is classed as an Indo-European Language and is one of the predecessors of the German language. Arabic is a Semitic language a group unrelated to the Indo-European languages. English is a borrowed language and contains more words from Arabic origins than Farsi does. The confusion arises as many Persians did and still do also speak Arabic along with Farsi.

Innocent Soul
02-27-2011, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by truthseeker63
Also if I went to Saudi Arabia could I find the Quran in other Languages along with the Arabic text side to side ?
Yeah as far as I know Quran in many languages are available. In Saudi Arabia it is not allowed to sell Quran it is mostly given as gift. . Allah has commanded us to understand Quran. We translate it into other languages in order to understand it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!